Forums

TSTT "Transforms to survive" - retrenches workers

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

neilsingh100
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Re: TSTT "Transforms to survive" - retrenches workers

Postby neilsingh100 » November 18th, 2018, 11:00 am

TSTT unionized staff on average paid more than professional and management?

That $768 mil­lion in an­nu­al wage, how much of that is linked to ex­ec­u­tives?

RW: Let me put it an­oth­er way—82.3 per cent of that is ju­nior and se­nior staff and $135 mil­lion or so com­bined, in­clud­ing ex­ec­u­tives, makes up the rest. So when you look at the rev­enue per em­ploy­ee, the month­ly rev­enue of ju­nior and se­nior staff, the to­tal is around $40,000 per month. The non-union­ized staff is around $35,000 per month, so we ac­tu­al­ly have in TSTT a com­pres­sion chal­lenge where we have se­nior staff em­ploy­ees who are earn­ing more than pro­fes­sion­al staff and that’s one of the chal­lenges we have.

Source: http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/tstts-tr ... fd4b98d94a

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » November 18th, 2018, 1:31 pm

Did TSTT pay out bonus­es to its ex­ec­u­tives in 2017?

RW: TSTT, in 2017, paid around $4 mil­lion in bonus­es to non-unioned em­ploy­ees that mer­it­ed a bonus pay­ment...

Did this in­clude ju­nior and se­nior staff?

RW: No. Ju­nior and se­nior staff are gov­erned by the col­lec­tive agree­ment, so any pay­ments to them must come through that mech­a­nism.

So this would have been just ex­ec­u­tives?

RW: No, this was non-union­ized em­ploy­ees. There are 369 non-union­ized em­ploy­ees.

Are some of those non-union­ized em­ploy­ees ju­nior and se­nior staff?

RW: No. All ju­nior and se­nior staff are union­ized.”

Who are the non-union­ized em­ploy­ees?

RW: We have pro­fes­sion­als in IT, we have sec­tion man­agers, we have se­nior man­agers, we have pro­fes­sion­als, we have an­a­lysts in fi­nance and oth­ers parts of the or­ga­ni­za­tions. Those kinds of po­si­tions are con­sid­ered non-union­ized.

And those are the kinds of po­si­tions that would have got­ten bonus­es? Are you plan­ning to pay out bonus­es at the end of 2018?

RW: No. That’s the short an­swer to that

So 4m to just executives then

neilsingh100
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby neilsingh100 » November 18th, 2018, 3:42 pm

700 to be retrenched in total and 503 is unionized so that means that 197 non unionized staff will be sent home.

197 out of 369 non-union­ized is more than 50% which is a much higher percent than the 503 out of 1631 unionized staff (30%) to be sent home.

These non-union­ized will not get the attractive severance like the unionized staff. I find they are being treated unfairly since these employees were more likely to be the better performing ones.

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » November 19th, 2018, 8:15 am

ampilla go take over the job dat all them workers did. and ampilla not unionized.

stikid09
3NE2NR is my LIFE

TSTT just fired 51 more workers: Says no to salary increases

Postby stikid09 » December 12th, 2018, 1:50 pm

TSTT today fired 51 more employees.

In a statement issued this morning, the company said it completed its “staff rationalization exercise” on Wednesday with the non–unionized employees being served retrenchment notices.

In addition, TSTT, through an out of court settlement facilitated the resignations of 77 employees who were applicants for the VSEP programme offered by TSTT in 2014.

These employees were previously denied their request for separation as a result of an injunction lodged at the Industrial Court, said TSTT.

The reduction in staff will result in savings of approximately $270 million annually, bringing TSTT in line with the industry benchmark for employee costs, which is 15% of revenue.

In keeping with its strategic mandate, TSTT said it also envisages no salary increases for the outstanding periods 2014 to 2018.

Additionally, TSTT’s annual revenue per employee of US$177,000 is expected to trend closer to the industry standard of US$400,000.

According to TSTT’s CEO, Dr. Ronald Walcott, “Organizational transformation is an absolute necessity for TSTT’s survival. We had to make these very difficult decisions to ensure that TSTT continues to fulfil its mandate to provide ubiquitous and affordable leading-edge solutions for the people of Trinidad and Tobago.”

Citing that digital disruptors are affecting the operations and profitability of telecoms worldwide, Walcott said, “Global companies are all in the throes of transforming their business models and TSTT is no different.”

He added, “We have been forced to reconfigure the business to become an agile broadband communications company in order to compete in the telecom space. We have a thorough understanding of our competitive advantage and the path towards sustained profitability, while ensuring an adequate return on investment for our shareholders.”

The Company's focus is on an enhanced customer experience. Dr. Walcott said, “TSTT will continue to deploy state of the art technologies such as 4GLTE for mobile and residential services and, subject to regulatory approval, TSTT will be ready to deploy 5G technology in 2019. With respect to our business customers whose major concerns center around minimizing cost while increasing operational efficiency and profitability, TSTT has a suite of digital solutions that can be tailored to meet their specific requirements.”

Source: https://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/lo ... b660a.html

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: TSTT just fired 51 more workers: Says no to salary increases

Postby Dizzy28 » December 12th, 2018, 2:06 pm

Head of the Com­mu­ni­ca­tions Work­ers’ Union (CWU) Clyde El­der was phys­i­cal­ly re­moved Wednes­day from the Telecom­mu­ni­ca­tions Ser­vices of Trinidad and To­ba­go (TSTT) Ed­ward Street, Port-of-Spain of­fice.

Guardian Me­dia un­der­stands that El­der was there to meet with work­ers to deal with their griev­ances when he was asked to leave the com­pound.

El­der, in a brief tele­phone in­ter­view mo­ments ago, claimed he was grabbed from be­hind by a TSTT se­cu­ri­ty guard and thrown out of the build­ing.

"I was grabbed from be­hind. The se­cu­ri­ty grabbed me and squeezed my chest and then threw me on the ground," El­der said.

El­der said he was in a lot of pain fol­low­ing the in­ci­dent and could not move from where he land­ed af­ter be­ing "man­han­dled" by the TSTT se­cu­ri­ty. He said an am­bu­lance had been called so he could get med­ical as­sis­tance.

This tus­sle be­tween the union rep­re­sen­ta­tives and com­pa­ny comes af­ter news sur­faced Tues­day that two se­nior em­ploy­ees from the Fi­nance and Au­dit­ing de­part­ments were sus­pend­ed over sus­pi­cion of leak­ing in­for­ma­tion to the me­dia.

Guardian Me­dia learned that the se­nior of­fi­cial in Fi­nance was es­cort­ed out of the build­ing on Tues­day, while the oth­er em­ploy­ee in the au­dit­ing de­part­ment was sus­pend­ed on Mon­day.

Guardian Me­dia sent ques­tions to both TSTT chief ex­ec­u­tive of­fi­cer Ronald Wal­cott and the com­pa­ny head of cor­po­rate com­mu­ni­ca­tions Mar­sha Ca­ballero on Tues­day and Wednes­day about the sus­pen­sions. Nei­ther re­spond­ed.

How­ev­er, Guardian Me­dia was told that the sus­pen­sions of the two se­nior em­ploy­ees came af­ter the T&T Guardian pub­lished an ar­ti­cle on Mon­day de­tail­ing a busi­ness deal be­tween Grav­i­tas Busi­ness So­lu­tions and TSTT to pro­vide con­tract work­ers to staff the Ac­counts Payable de­part­ment.

TSTT re­trenched five work­ers from that same de­part­ment last month and then inked a deal with Grav­i­tas to pro­vide con­tract work­ers to do the same job for more mon­ey. Ac­cord­ing to that deal, Grav­i­tas was paid some $96,750 for sup­ply­ing two work­ers.

The five work­ers were paid just over $65,000 a month.

Reporter: Renuka Singh
Tags:
Union
TSTThttp://www.cnc3.co.tt/press-release ... 3TaTCQRREk

Cantmis
punchin NOS

Postby Cantmis » December 12th, 2018, 6:22 pm

Clean up

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » December 12th, 2018, 6:32 pm

The Company's focus is on an enhanced customer experience. Dr. Walcott said, “TSTT will continue to deploy state of the art technologies such as 4GLTE for mobile and residential services and, subject to regulatory approval, TSTT will be ready to deploy 5G technology in 2019. With respect to our business customers whose major concerns center around minimizing cost while increasing operational efficiency and profitability, TSTT has a suite of digital solutions that can be tailored to meet their specific requirements.”

:shock: seriously! they doh even have 4G in my area and want to deploy 5G?

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » December 12th, 2018, 8:13 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:

TSTT re­trenched five work­ers from that same de­part­ment last month and then inked a deal with Grav­i­tas to pro­vide con­tract work­ers to do the same job for more mon­ey. Ac­cord­ing to that deal, Grav­i­tas was paid some $96,750 for sup­ply­ing two work­ers.

Tags:
Union

In case anybody was wondering...

GRAVITAS BUSINESS SOLUTIONS
Company #1738023
19 STANMORE AVENUE, PORT OF SPAIN
Incorporated on: 2016-06-02

http://www.gravitas.solutions

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby paid_influencer » December 12th, 2018, 10:34 pm

maybe the government should not be running a telecom company

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » December 12th, 2018, 11:16 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
Dizzy28 wrote:

Tags:
Union

In case anybody was wondering...

GRAVITAS BUSINESS SOLUTIONS
Company #1738023
19 STANMORE AVENUE, PORT OF SPAIN
Incorporated on: 2016-06-02

http://www.gravitas.solutions

And the CEO and EC are both auditors. Really gets the old noggin joggin. Can we trust the integrity of the largest and most trusted auditors in the country if we see this nonsense going on? Cut 5 workers to hire 2 at 370% the cost?

Imagine what going on below the surface.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » December 13th, 2018, 7:04 am

OP, not every headline in the newspaper should be a ched eh.....just saying

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » December 13th, 2018, 7:52 am

should start an official newspaper thread...

mitch1980
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby mitch1980 » December 13th, 2018, 9:04 am

already a thread for this
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=735452

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: TSTT "Transforms to survive"

Postby redmanjp » December 13th, 2018, 9:39 am

Les Bain wrote:My buddy got spared but he's in a mess.
The 45 day notice was back dated. People got their letters today. Today is day 44 of the notice.

he should have signed it with the date he received it so in case he could take them to court later on- the Retrenchment Act has a minimum numbers of days notice

airuma
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby airuma » December 17th, 2018, 10:25 am

Does C&W still own 49% of TSTT? I know there was an issue with them owning Columbus Communications and 49% TSTT.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » December 17th, 2018, 10:45 am

airuma wrote:Does C&W still own 49% of TSTT? I know there was an issue with them owning Columbus Communications and 49% TSTT.

Dind't regional Governments stop bothering with C&W once they were acquired by Liberty Global in 2016.

airuma
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby airuma » December 17th, 2018, 4:01 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:
airuma wrote:Does C&W still own 49% of TSTT? I know there was an issue with them owning Columbus Communications and 49% TSTT.

Didn't regional Governments stop bothering with C&W once they were acquired by Liberty Global in 2016.

I missed that one. So C&W acquires Columbus communications in 2015, then Liberty Global acquires C&W in 2016. Where does that leave the C&W 49% ownership of TSTT.... Liberty Global, GoRTT, other?

ek4ever
Shifting into 6th

Postby ek4ever » December 17th, 2018, 4:20 pm

airuma wrote:
Dizzy28 wrote:

Didn't regional Governments stop bothering with C&W once they were acquired by Liberty Global in 2016.

I missed that one. So C&W acquires Columbus communications in 2015, then Liberty Global acquires C&W in 2016. Where does that leave the C&W 49% ownership of TSTT.... Liberty Global, GoRTT, other?

Liberty Global has their 49% ownership of TSTT in escrow. There are some conditions for them to exercise it but it seems that they are currently hamstrung from disposing of it. No one wants to be minority shareholder in a TT govt owned company....they need to dump their 49% and try to get a concession for a mobile license or buy out the 51% and use bmobile concession :twisted: .

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » January 16th, 2019, 3:06 pm

mark bassant on a cnc3 ticket... the man that went to bridgeman services!!!!

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » January 16th, 2019, 10:41 pm

Fixed link

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 16th, 2019, 10:47 pm

Not to mention they still paying national icons a salary for the image and likeness

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » January 17th, 2019, 12:01 am

The_Honourable wrote:Fixed link

They point out the link and exactly how the practices are corrupt.

Nothing will become of it, even with all this evidence.

mitch1980
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby mitch1980 » January 17th, 2019, 9:37 am

and nothing would come out of this

"TSTT denies whistleblower claims
Multi-million cell probe
by

Renuka Singh

http://guardian.co.tt/news/tstt-denies- ... 83add147ef

A Guardian Me­dia in­ves­ti­ga­tion has un­earthed a damn­ing whistle­blow­er re­port in­side the Telecom­mu­ni­ca­tions Ser­vices of Trinidad and To­ba­go (TSTT) which de­tails spe­cif­ic ques­tion­able pro­cure­ment prac­tices and mega-mil­lion dol­lar deals with­out board ap­proval.

While the State com­pa­ny is deny­ing all the de­tails con­tained in the re­port, its au­thor, for­mer ex­ec­u­tive vice pres­i­dent Mo­bile, Nicole Ker­ry Lumkin, is stand­ing by her state­ments.

The Lumkin re­port, ob­tained by Guardian Me­dia, de­tails the spe­cial treat­ment grant­ed to two com­pa­nies owned by the same man.

News of the mis­man­aged fi­nances comes even as TSTT, cit­ing dire fi­nan­cial straits, let go over 500 em­ploy­ees last month to main­tain its vi­a­bil­i­ty. The re­ports show that the com­pa­ny may have mis­man­aged more than half a bil­lion dol­lars be­tween 2013 and 2018.

Guardian Me­dia made con­tact with TSTT’s Se­nior Man­ag­er, Cor­po­rate Com­mu­ni­ca­tions, Mar­sha Ca­ballero, last Thurs­day and was told that the com­pa­ny need­ed time to re­spond ap­pro­pri­ate­ly. The com­pa­ny sent its re­sponse to ques­tions on the doc­u­ments late yes­ter­day. In that re­sponse, TSTT is deny­ing any fi­nan­cial im­pro­pri­ety and ac­cused this me­dia house of “tar­get­ing” its chief ex­ec­u­tive of­fi­cer, Dr Ronald Wal­cott.

In the first week of the year, Guardian Me­dia re­ceived a pack­et of doc­u­ments, in­clud­ing two in­ter­nal au­dits, one by TSTT’s for­mer in­ter­nal au­dit man­ag­er Mait­land Daniels, an­oth­er by the com­pa­ny’s chief in­ter­nal au­di­tor Randy Mar­cano and an in­ter­nal re­port by Lumkin.

The Lumkin re­port con­tains sev­er­al ques­tions, in­clud­ing why two cell phone re­tail­ers were grant­ed spe­cial priv­i­leges with TSTT with­out board ap­proval even though the deals were a fi­nan­cial strain on the com­pa­ny. In one of the doc­u­ments, Lumkin ques­tioned the re­la­tion­ship be­tween TSTT, Cell­Mas­ter and Mi­zo­va. Ac­cord­ing to the doc­u­ment, the two re­tail­ers were paid a flat fee of $9 mil­lion and $10.5 mil­lion re­spec­tive­ly in­stead of a com­mis­sion on sales like all oth­er re­tail­ers.

Lumkin de­scribed the two con­tracts as “no­to­ri­ous­ly bad mil­lion-dol­lar con­tracts” which were al­lowed to con­tin­ue in the ab­sence of board ap­proval and lim­it­ed re­turns for TSTT.

Both re­tail out­lets are owned and op­er­at­ed by Richard Smith, who is re­lat­ed to the for­mer sport min­is­ter Dar­ryl Smith.

Lumkin, in her re­port, de­tailed the fi­nan­cial vi­a­bil­i­ty of all TSTT re­tail­ers and found that while the av­er­age cost per trans­ac­tion with oth­er re­tail­ers ranged from $64 to $115, Cell­Mas­ter car­ried a $546.68 fee per trans­ac­tion and Mi­zo­va was paid a mas­sive $9,971.51 per trans­ac­tion. While oth­er re­tail­ers got a com­mis­sion rang­ing from three to 13 per cent, Cell­Mas­ter earned a 21 per cent ver­sus Mi­zo­va’s 16 per cent.

“TSTT sim­ply makes a huge loss at the Mi­zo­va stores of more than $9,000 per trans­ac­tion,” Lumkin not­ed in the re­port.

“To date, TSTT has spent ap­prox­i­mate­ly $50 mil­lion on these two con­tracts.”

She added that the on­ly “re­spon­si­ble” thing to do was to ter­mi­nate the two con­tracts. How­ev­er, that was nev­er done.

Un­der the ban­ner “im­por­tant facts,” Lumkin said that the orig­i­nal Cell­Mas­ter con­tract was val­ued at ap­prox­i­mate­ly $27 mil­lion be­tween 2011 and 2014. She claimed that the con­tract nev­er re­ceived board ap­proval.

“I have not been able to find the orig­i­nal busi­ness case or any oth­er ma­te­r­i­al that prop­er­ly jus­ti­fies this con­tract,” Lumkin said.

Lumkin said the “orig­i­nal Mi­zo­va con­tract was ap­proved via the CEO fi­nan­cial au­thor­i­ty lim­it and was val­ued at $3.5 mil­lion.” That con­tract ex­pired since Jan­u­ary 31, 2015.

“Again, this con­tract did not re­ceive board ap­proval, and I have not been able to find the orig­i­nal busi­ness case or any oth­er ma­te­r­i­al that prop­er­ly jus­ti­fies this con­tract,” Lumkin said in her re­port.

Aside from that pref­er­en­tial treat­ment, Lumkin al­so not­ed that be­fore Ronald Wal­cott be­came TSTT’s chief ex­ec­u­tive of­fi­cer, “he di­rect­ly man­aged Cell­Mas­ter from 2011 to 2013 as Head of the Pre­paid and Chan­nel Man­age­ment De­part­ment.”

Lumkin pro­posed that both con­tracts be ter­mi­nat­ed and had the sup­port of the ex­ec­u­tives. How­ev­er, by Jan­u­ary 2016 the con­tract doc­u­ments for the two com­pa­nies were back on the ta­ble. She said she wrote to the ex­ec­u­tives but nev­er re­ceived a re­sponse. By Jan­u­ary 25, 2016, she was in­formed that the two con­tracts would con­tin­ue and would go for­ward for board ap­proval.

“I was al­so told that the CEO would present them at the Ten­ders Com­mit­tee meet­ing and that my pres­ence was not nec­es­sary,” Lumkin said.

Lumkin said she lat­er learned that both Cell­Mas­ter and Mi­zo­va con­tracts sub­mit­ted new pro­pos­als to TSTT “not very dif­fer­ent from the cur­rent arrange­ments.”

“It must be not­ed that the CEO by his ac­tions and his let­ter dat­ed Feb­ru­ary 16 has tak­en charge of these new ne­go­ti­a­tions,” she said.

TSTT: ‘Base­less and

un­sub­stan­ti­at­ed’

TSTT cat­e­gor­i­cal­ly de­nied any re­la­tion­ship be­tween Cell­Mas­ter, Mi­zo­va and Wal­cott. The com­pa­ny al­so dis­missed the re­port by Lumkin de­spite her se­nior po­si­tion at the com­pa­ny at the time it was writ­ten.

“No for­mal re­port from the EVP Mo­bile Ser­vices was ever doc­u­ment­ed,” TSTT said in its re­sponse.

TSTT said that in Jan­u­ary 2016, the Board of Di­rec­tors ap­proved and rat­i­fied all Cell­Mas­ter and Mi­zo­va con­tracts and the Ten­ders Com­mit­tee asked Lumkin to pro­duce a com­pre­hen­sive as­sess­ment for a long-term so­lu­tion re­lat­ed to the two agree­ments.

“Af­ter more than a year, the for­mer act­ing EVP Mo­bile Ser­vices nev­er pre­sent­ed this busi­ness case or as­sess­ment,” the com­pa­ny said.

“The BoD, af­ter in­ter­view­ing both the for­mer act­ing EVP Mo­bile Ser­vices and the CEO, along with as­sess­ing and analysing both sub­mis­sions, con­clud­ed that all of the as­ser­tions and al­le­ga­tions were base­less and un­sub­stan­ti­at­ed and that these con­tracts were part and par­cel of nor­mal busi­ness arrange­ments,” the com­pa­ny said.

“Im­me­di­ate­ly af­ter this mat­ter was as­sessed by the Board’s Steer­ing Com­mit­tee, the for­mer act­ing EVP Mo­bile Ser­vices ap­plied for vol­un­tary sep­a­ra­tion from the com­pa­ny. The re­quest was grant­ed.”

TSTT added: “Our records show that Dr Wal­cott was not the per­son who in­tro­duced Cell­Mas­ter or its prin­ci­pals to TSTT and that Dr Wal­cott was not ac­quaint­ed with Mr Richard Smith pri­or to his join­ing TSTT. Dr Wal­cott was in­tro­duced to the prin­ci­pals of Cell­Mas­ter by the then EVP Mo­bile,” the re­port said.

TSTT then threw re­spon­si­bil­i­ty for the ex­ten­sion of the Cell­Mas­ter and Mi­zo­va con­tracts back at Lumkin. Wal­cott, in re­sponse to ques­tions, said he al­so be­lieved that Lumkin was seek­ing to “ma­lign” his name and char­ac­ter.

Read part two of this sto­ry to­mor­row "

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » January 17th, 2019, 1:15 pm

Miktay
Shifting into 6th

Postby Miktay » January 17th, 2019, 1:48 pm

Did TSTT ever produce a P&L on the Beyonce concert?

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » January 17th, 2019, 1:58 pm

that went on the entertainment account

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » January 17th, 2019, 4:17 pm

Lady buss the files and realise it eh make any sense to stick around and go down with the ship.

And rather than refute the claims, TSTT just acting offended. How does one say the claims are baseless and unsubstantiated when an immense amount of evidence is shown.

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » January 17th, 2019, 5:06 pm

All gml have to do is get some bank statements

Coppershot
Riding on 17's

Postby Coppershot » January 17th, 2019, 8:04 pm

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”