TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Toyota Aqua / Prius question

It's all about 4AGE, NZE, 3SGTE, 1JZ, 2JZ etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

agent007
punchin NOS

Re: Toyota Aqua / Prius question

Postby agent007 » May 21st, 2018, 9:05 am

Earlier in this thread I posted the recommended maintenance items to be changed for the Aqua. Do not settle for fake information which is widespread in here. Over the weekend, we decided to use Amsoil Signature Series 0W-20 full synthetic motor oil paired with a FRAM Ultra Synthetic oil filter and finally the original Denso Iridium spark plugs. The advertised mileage for those items are 40,000kms; 32,000kms and 100,000kms respectively. Since this is more or less a fun/recreational type vehicle for us, we won't be driving more than 20,000kms per year so we will change both oil and oil filter in May 2019 which is below the theoretical lifespan of the oil and filter. We won't bother about the spark plugs ever again because chances are this vehicle will be sold long before the 100,000kms is accomplished which is roughly 5 years from now. The generic air filter is like brand new even after 3 months probably due to the engine:electric motor use ratio being 3:1. The cheap NP mineral oil that the silly dealer installed on the car back in February was still surprisingly ok with good body in the texture. The original spark plugs had slight carbon build up on #3 and #4. Compression testing was performed after the service and all seems like brand new. All 4 pots are firing nice and the full 99hp is being experienced lol. What I noticed is despite changing the transmission fluid, when driving aggressively the P510 behaves slightly abnormal due to a serious spike in fluid temperature. I will be measuring temp range under normal and responsible driving vs aggressive driving so we can see the range to stay within to maximize and prolong transmission life. Having said that, we did a 2am run on a lonely stretch to determine what she is capable of and we got exactly 180kmph top speed but it wouldn't go further becuse it is speed limited directly from the ECU as expected since its a JDM specific car. I honestly thought 165 thereabouts would have been what she would top out at but im glad this non performance economy hatchback got to 180. Anyway, back to the tranny fluid, so we changed it despite Toyota saying it's lifetime. As indicated earlier in this thread, the colour was darker but we did not feel a difference in how the P510 behaves. The radiator coolant and inverter coolant are lifetime as well but we would be changing that too with the original recommended coolant. The regen system in this car is so effective, the original front pads and rear shoes despite never been changed before still has a lot of life remaining. Lastly, we cleaned the cooling fan assembly under the backseat which is mandatory to reduce battery temps by a couple of degrees. We disassembled the entire panel and wiped and vacuumed until down there became clean again. You would be surprised as to the muck and debris found under the back seat so I encourage everyone to do same. Driving this baby prius continues to be a joy for me. It's like your own personal driveable remote controlled car you always wanted when you were a kid and it's like a dream turned into reality. It's not the best handling, head turning, fastest or most feature packed car out there but the genuine simplicity and easyness in the way it goes about it's business with its exceptional fuel economy and cost effective maintenance, I would encourage anyone to consider it as a worthwhile purchase. Body parts are easy to get online as well since the Aqua is basically a RHD version of the Prius C. Yes the Corolla Fielder and Axio share the same drivetrain but those are heavier than the Aqua so 99hp in the Aqua feels better than 99hp say in a Fielder wagon. Furthermore, good luck on obtaining body parts for those Corollas which share nothing with the conventional wide body model.

Archlord
Street 2NR

Postby Archlord » May 21st, 2018, 9:03 pm

agent007 wrote:Earlier in this thread I posted the recommended maintenance items to be changed for the Aqua. Do not settle for fake information which is widespread in here. Over the weekend, we decided to use Amsoil Signature Series 0W-20 full synthetic motor oil paired with a FRAM Ultra Synthetic oil filter and finally the original Denso Iridium spark plugs. The advertised mileage for those items are 40,000kms; 32,000kms and 100,000kms respectively. Since this is more or less a fun/recreational type vehicle for us, we won't be driving more than 20,000kms per year so we will change both oil and oil filter in May 2019 which is below the theoretical lifespan of the oil and filter. We won't bother about the spark plugs ever again because chances are this vehicle will be sold long before the 100,000kms is accomplished which is roughly 5 years from now. The generic air filter is like brand new even after 3 months probably due to the engine:electric motor use ratio being 3:1. The cheap NP mineral oil that the silly dealer installed on the car back in February was still surprisingly ok with good body in the texture. The original spark plugs had slight carbon build up on #3 and #4. Compression testing was performed after the service and all seems like brand new. All 4 pots are firing nice and the full 99hp is being experienced lol. What I noticed is despite changing the transmission fluid, when driving aggressively the P510 behaves slightly abnormal due to a serious spike in fluid temperature. I will be measuring temp range under normal and responsible driving vs aggressive driving so we can see the range to stay within to maximize and prolong transmission life. Having said that, we did a 2am run on a lonely stretch to determine what she is capable of and we got exactly 180kmph top speed but it wouldn't go further becuse it is speed limited directly from the ECU as expected since its a JDM specific car. I honestly thought 165 thereabouts would have been what she would top out at but im glad this non performance economy hatchback got to 180. Anyway, back to the tranny fluid, so we changed it despite Toyota saying it's lifetime. As indicated earlier in this thread, the colour was darker but we did not feel a difference in how the P510 behaves. The radiator coolant and inverter coolant are lifetime as well but we would be changing that too with the original recommended coolant. The regen system in this car is so effective, the original front pads and rear shoes despite never been changed before still has a lot of life remaining. Lastly, we cleaned the cooling fan assembly under the backseat which is mandatory to reduce battery temps by a couple of degrees. We disassembled the entire panel and wiped and vacuumed until down there became clean again. You would be surprised as to the muck and debris found under the back seat so I encourage everyone to do same. Driving this baby prius continues to be a joy for me. It's like your own personal driveable remote controlled car you always wanted when you were a kid and it's like a dream turned into reality. It's not the best handling, head turning, fastest or most feature packed car out there but the genuine simplicity and easyness in the way it goes about it's business with its exceptional fuel economy and cost effective maintenance, I would encourage anyone to consider it as a worthwhile purchase. Body parts are easy to get online as well since the Aqua is basically a RHD version of the Prius C. Yes the Corolla Fielder and Axio share the same drivetrain but those are heavier than the Aqua so 99hp in the Aqua feels better than 99hp say in a Fielder wagon. Furthermore, good luck on obtaining body parts for those Corollas which share nothing with the conventional wide body model.

Is this something you'd recommend for a first time driver? Especially someone relatively tall (around 6'3")

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » May 21st, 2018, 10:00 pm

It all depends on your appetite to compromise I guess. I've seen plus size people who have an image to uphold buy a BMW 3-series for example and they will fit in that car regardless of how uncomfortable it may seem because it's an entry level BMW that suits their budget. 3-series money can buy a more spacious Optima, Passat or Accord for example but they prefer to be seen in a more cramped baby BMW. Also, I've seen tall people manage driving little cars such as the Swift and Spark etc. I know like most of us, they would want better but its what they can afford. I'm almost 6ft and the Aqua seems fine to me which has a height adjustable driver's seat. I see no reason why someone 6'3" tall would have a problem but everyone is different. If not willing to compromise then look elsewhere.

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *$kїđž!™ » May 22nd, 2018, 7:01 am

venum wrote:been a lil while since I last posted in here
thanks to all of you who responded to my request to post your mpg
I took the plunge and ordered a Fielder Hybrid (NKE165) 2014
I was looking at the Aqua, Fielder and Prius for a lil while and was always coming out with the Fielder on top for different personal reasons. Coming from a Mitsubishi background both diesel and gas , I just don't like the Prius for all the electronics it has
I figure I rather step into this world slowly before jumping all in, pace myself, also I don't have a lot of time to run down car problems, which is why I stuck to Mitsu's so long
also with the tax exemptions being removed from the Prius, I am seeing less on the road, so I hope that it doesn't affect the widespread availability of parts and consumables. however since the Prius started declining in imports (Dec 2017) I have seen an increase in the Aqua and FH on the roads.
the Aqua was just too small for my family needs, although the price now was better suited to my budget. I got the basic model Fielder Hybrid at a pretty good price so I took the plunge. Waiting to have it delivered end of June 2018.
not seeing much information online here for FH, but more for Aqua and Prius, so I feel I will just contribute on here.
seeing in person from my research that the FH and the Aqua have engine and drivetrain similarities. which is a good thing.

concerning the importation via dealers, there are some downright nasty and unscrupulous dealers out there that are selling the Axio and FH the same price as the non hybrids. Imagine I went to a popular dealer in La Romaine, Bamboo Village who advertised the regular Fielder for $120K and the Fielder Hybrid for the same price. What happened to the tax exemptions? it went into his pockets. Seeing the FH for as low as $83K cash and $90K bank financing from other dealers and the Aqua for $65K

saw a guy advertising the Hybrid Battery Clinic or something so in Duncan Village San Fernando, I know him as an electrician and a good one.

looking forward to sharing and learning more from here
what oils and filters are you using in the 1NZFXE? What about tranny fluid?
Mitsu man here so bear with me
Can u advisw me as to where i could to look at some hybrids at those prices....need something soon ...rhanks

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » August 9th, 2018, 3:29 pm

OK guys, FINALLY got the car after a delayed boat that stopped in Jamaica and pushed back the delivery

I must say, having driven CVT and automatic cars, manual and automatic diesel pickups, driving this hybrid is a lil weird

I only put a 10km or so from delivery to home and a lil joyride

mine came on some steel rims with thin (175\65\R15) Dunlop tyres, but they like new and have a lot of life left. They not snow tyres, so i would be running them till they need to change.

not the loaded model, the basic, without body kit and projector headlights or push button start, black fabric seats, 4 airbags and a toyota badged (pioneer headunit, that in japanese and needs to convert to english), reverse camera

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *$kїđž!™ » August 9th, 2018, 8:05 pm

Congrats bro...how much did it cost..licensed..

NS10
Riding on 13's

Postby NS10 » August 17th, 2018, 1:06 pm

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » August 27th, 2018, 11:58 am

*$kїđž!™ wrote:Congrats bro...how much did it cost..licensed..

this hybrid thing spoilng me, drove the fielder in Eco Mode all weekend, in and round south for small trips and a long trip from South to Valsayn and back and it is tolerable. the acceleration is retarded in ECO mode, but not badly

getting like 400+km to half tank fuel and the EV mode doing ~35%

anyone know if the dash can be translated to english?

Ruff
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Ruff » August 31st, 2018, 2:09 pm

This is my current status of my first tank in 2014 Aqua. Got it with last bar flashing on fuel gauge. $128 to full.

b5er
Street 2NR

Postby b5er » August 31st, 2018, 6:28 pm

Ruff wrote:This is my current status of my first tank in 2014 Aqua. Got it with last bar flashing on fuel gauge. $128 to full.

That's approx 17.8 KM/L (41MPG), that's not good considering its a hybrid, you should have gotten about 100km more from that tank. Car maybe needs tune-up or yuh right foot to heavy, or hybrid battery needs servicing.

Ruff
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Ruff » August 31st, 2018, 9:58 pm

The first 2 days of use was in heavy traffic with initial battery status be at 2 bars. Engine was often in "charge" mode, but now not as much. I intend on having batteries checked out and serviced in the next 2 weeks. According to service records, car was serviced about 3000kms ago.

b5er
Street 2NR

Postby b5er » September 1st, 2018, 8:14 am

Ruff wrote:The first 2 days of use was in heavy traffic with initial battery status be at 2 bars. Engine was often in "charge" mode, but now not as much. I intend on having batteries checked out and serviced in the next 2 weeks. According to service records, car was serviced about 3000kms ago.

Sounds good, where are you getting the HV battery serviced?

Ruff
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Ruff » September 1st, 2018, 4:44 pm

Will PM you

fozzy2010
3NE 2NR for life

Postby fozzy2010 » September 3rd, 2018, 3:20 pm

Does anybody here know what the service is like at Toyota. Is it worth taking it to them to service.

Ruff
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Ruff » September 5th, 2018, 11:22 am

b5er wrote:
Ruff wrote:This is my current status of my first tank in 2014 Aqua. Got it with last bar flashing on fuel gauge. $128 to full.

That's approx 17.8 KM/L (41MPG), that's not good considering its a hybrid, you should have gotten about 100km more from that tank. Car maybe needs tune-up or yuh right foot to heavy, or hybrid battery needs servicing.

UPDATE

b5er
Street 2NR

Postby b5er » September 5th, 2018, 6:49 pm

Ruff wrote:
b5er wrote:

UPDATE

Ahh, dats wha we talking bout, :lol:
What did you do different to get this improvement?

Ruff
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Ruff » September 6th, 2018, 1:22 pm

Did nothing different. Traffic conditions were different. As stated before, first tank was used in heavy traffic with initial battery status at 2 bars, resulting in very little EV mode.

Ruff
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Ruff » September 6th, 2018, 3:54 pm

Surprisingly, I got it up to 138 kmh without exceeding the "eco" band. Also, it handles well despite the steering feel being less organic than I'd like for spirited driving

radIS300
Ricer

Postby radIS300 » September 8th, 2018, 7:55 pm

Guys looking for a lil help, got my fielder hybrid yesterday, and I've noticed that the odometer is not going up when driving, the odo is displaying the mileage but its not moving up, any ideas? TIA

Ruff
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Ruff » September 17th, 2018, 11:43 am

ANOTHER UPDATE
Pic was taken at the pump. Took $125. Included some "spirited" driving with ECO off.

Joshie23
Riding on 16's

Postby Joshie23 » September 17th, 2018, 1:54 pm

Ruff wrote:ANOTHER UPDATE
Pic was taken at the pump. Took $125. Included some "spirited" driving with ECO off.

I saw your last post was 11 days ago..did you ever full between then and now? I really need to join the hybrid family yes. :( I was in the process of purchasing one and let off the throttle a bit (no pun intended) for various reasons, but my 2.0L straight-six is doing me no favours and my diesel SUV isn't backwards.

ramishrrr
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby ramishrrr » September 17th, 2018, 2:39 pm

A quick idea of gas consumption.
Friend of mine had a 1500cc Tiida which his wife drove from Iere Village in Princes Town to Rio Claro every day.
......You know the horrible terrain and traffic.
The gas cost per week was TT$100.
She has an Aqua now.
The gas cost is now TT$40.
End of story.

Peace.
RR.

DJ Q
punchin NOS

Postby DJ Q » September 18th, 2018, 3:18 pm

Sharing some quick info for anyone with a Prius

I started getting this knocking noise mostly when the engine is cold. Noise started getting louder and my fuel economy was dropping. Went from averaging 23 km/l all the way down to 18 km/l. Instant KM/L on the highway was around 20. 23 at best.
Started losing power, especially when going up hills.
Did some research and it turns out it was a simple fix.
Needed to clean the injectors. Not just the simple "pour in the tank" version, but where they need to run the fluid through the engine.
Instant KM/L on the highway instantly shot up to 30km/l. Noise gone. Car even idles smoother.

Hope this helps anyone having similar issues.

Ruff
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Ruff » September 19th, 2018, 12:16 pm

Joshie23 wrote:

I saw your last post was 11 days ago..did you ever full between then and now? I really need to join the hybrid family yes. :( I was in the process of purchasing one and let off the throttle a bit (no pun intended) for various reasons, but my 2.0L straight-six is doing me no favours and my diesel SUV isn't backwards.

Vehicle is filled up every 2-3 days (680-700 kms) with $120-$125 in Super.

Joshie23
Riding on 16's

Postby Joshie23 » September 19th, 2018, 12:23 pm

Ruff wrote:
Joshie23 wrote:

Vehicle is filled up every 2-3 days (680-700 kms) with $120-$125 in Super.

At least 680 kms of driving in 2 days?? :shock: Damn. For comparison, I filled my tank with $150 on Monday (RB20). Last night, I was at half tank. The vehicle may need minor servicing and my foot is heavy, but I do a fair amount of driving myself, so I'm continuously inspired by the hybrids. I think I may go for a Fielder though; more space.

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » September 20th, 2018, 9:29 am

nice, liking what i seeing here

well its been over a month with the Fielder Hybrid and im liking it, the mileage is good, the car comfy

just this weekend i realized that the FH has 8 airbags and soo much easier to wash than my Sportero. mine came with a paint coating that repels water so it stays cleaner for longer

still waiting to convert my deck to english tho, also been looking for some orig alloy rims, but I realize that very few came with alloys. mostly the newer WXB model and those rims not trading in at all . . . well not yet

anyone interested in a Fielder Hybrid club? or a whatsapp group? pm me with your digits and we can start something going
I been on the Fielder Axio FB page, but not much activity for Hybrids there, lots of for sale posts

I went to the Aqua Hybrid TNT club meet this weekend, them real serious. thinking to keep up with them as the FH and AH share the same drivetrain and engine

also if anyone is interested, SBCS is offering a short course in Servicing and Repairing Hybrid & Electric Vehicles:
http://www.sbcs.edu.tt/programme/hybrid/

This practical Professional Certificate in Servicing and Repairing Hybrid & Electric Vehicles provides participants with theoretical knowledge on vehicle electrification, as well as the practical skills needed to service Hybrid Electric Vehicles / Electric Vehicles (HEV/EV), with a focus on HEVs. Practical sessions will include the use of test instruments and stripped down HEV/EV components. Emphasis will be placed on safety in working with HEV/EVs.

Learning outcomes include:

Understand how hybrid vehicles operate
Learn how to work safely around hybrid & electric vehicles
Understand electrical / electronics and how it applies to HEV/EV vehicles
Understand the high voltage powertrain operation
Understand how the HEV brake system functions
Safely remove, repair and replace high voltage battery packs
Perform hybrid preventive maintenance and service
The duration of this course is 24 contact hours.

Cost is $6500 + $500 registration. classes on Sundays or Saturdays alone.

Disclaimer: I dont work for them neither am I affiliated with them, i just doing a free promo as it relates to this group and our interests

Ruff
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Ruff » September 20th, 2018, 4:17 pm

Aqua Hybrid TNT Club... hmm.
Do they have a FB page?

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » September 20th, 2018, 5:52 pm

Toyota Aqua Club T&T
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1843779652312724/about/

check them out

Got one guy interested in the Fielder Hybrid whatsapp group, soon as we get a few more we can start it up

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » September 25th, 2018, 11:14 am

ok guys, Fielder Hybrid whatsapp group started

Ruff
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Ruff » October 3rd, 2018, 8:57 pm

I'm in need of shock mounts & stabilizer linkages for '14 Aqua. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance

Advertisement

Return to “TOYOTA”