TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Toyota Aqua / Prius question

It's all about 4AGE, NZE, 3SGTE, 1JZ, 2JZ etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Toyota Aqua / Prius question

Postby *$kїđž!™ » February 12th, 2018, 12:52 pm

I think the leaf needs it own thread guys

DJ Q
punchin NOS

Postby DJ Q » February 19th, 2018, 10:59 am

New Prius owner here.
I want to give as much details as possible for anyone considering.

WhatsApp Image 2018-02-07 at 7.36.35 AM.jpeg

Must say, very, very quiet ride.
I love the looks when I pull off without "starting" the car.
I put $150 to fill the tank.
Tomorrow makes 2 weeks driving since then. Almost 800KM so far.

I'll tell you all, the car is NOT slow.
Owned a Fielder before this and this is much more powerful.

In ECO mode, the acceleration is very relaxed.
EV mode will exit as soon as you hit 63kmph but you can still drive in EV up to about 75kmph
I've had a maximum of 3.5km in EV mode alone.
Note: EV Mode and driving in EV is two different things. EV mode allows you to almost floor it and only use battery power. Essentially, it forces the car to stay in EV for as long as possible. In any mode, once you have enough charge, the car switches to EV when it can.

Mine is the S grade, so it has fog lights and a rear wiper, Auto lights, HID projectors vs halogen, front ID light is Audi style LED strip vs the small halogen bulb and maybe other little things I haven't noticed as yet.

The smart key is really nice. As soon as you put your hand behind the handle, the car opens automatically. Touch the grooves on the handle to lock it back. No automatic locking when you walk away from the car though.

The long time idea that A/C affects mileage, hardly applies since the A/C doesn't draw it's energy from the engine, but from the HV battery. To give an idea how efficient it is, I always have my A/C set to 25 and Auto. I was able to sit in the car long enough for it to deplete the battery to the point that the engine needed to start. The engine ran for LITERALLY two minutes, then I enjoyed a further 20 minutes of A/C while burning no gas.

Headlights are auto leveling, No DRLs. Automatic lights, but not auto high beam. The HID is very bright.
Interior lighting is also very bright, with two BIG lights in front and a reading light with separate controls over the rear seats.
Annoyingly, only one light on the left hand side of the trunk. The glove box is also lit.
There's a small white light in the middle of the front interior lights that was bugging me initially while I drove at night, until I figured out what it was for, it actually illuminates the central dash very faintly instead of having a light inside the shifter knob itself.

Visibility is EXCELLENT. The reverse camera is very well positioned so it's really easy to park very close to walls or other cars. Mine has moving guidelines as well, but honestly, that's more of a gimmick than anything. Rear visibility is awesome with the two glass panels, and the thing you don't see in reviews is that the lower glass panel doesn't really get wet in the rain since the spoiler covers it. The spoiler running through the middle doesn't create any blindspot.

As with my fielder, all windows are fully automatic. Wing mirrors are electric but not auto folding.

Dashboard is in Japanese but as another user said, Google Translate on the phone helps you get through many settings. You can actually set the price of fuel then the efficiency of your old car. Everytime you switch the car off, it'll show how long you drove, how far you drove, your km/l and how much money you saved by driving your Prius vs your old car.

This video is a great review in terms of maximizing MPG and changing your driving habits:

I found mine locally. There are many places that bought up a lot of Prii (yes that's the official term for more than one Prius) when the tax was changed. I saw two white ones on the western side of the highway somewhere north of Munroe Road.

I can't think of anything else to share so far.
Hope this helps your guys make a decision.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » February 19th, 2018, 4:11 pm

Well written. Have a few questions:

1. Could you share pics (if you can) or explain exactly what features are in Japanese?
2. Have you any idea at this time where to source parts and obtain service?
3. Are you in a position to compare its performance (in terms of acceleration) to a regular petrol powered non hybrid vehicle? eg. feels like a Lancer GT 2.0?

much thanks and congrats on the purchase.

DJ Q
punchin NOS

Postby DJ Q » February 19th, 2018, 9:12 pm

1) Will share some pics tomorrow
2) Parts are actually widely available but in the bamboo. With respect to service, it's a normal engine. Oil and Filter like normal.
3) Honestly don't think it's relevant because the aim here is to save fuel. but for the one or two times I floored it, it definitely had a nice pull. Felt stronger than what I felt in my dad's Navara

car
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby car » February 19th, 2018, 10:12 pm

Why does the Prius come 1.8 and the hybrid fielder comes 1.6 when the fielder is what I believe a bigger/heavier vehicle capable of carrying a heavier load?

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *$kїđž!™ » February 19th, 2018, 10:17 pm

How much does a prius cost....roro...

car
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby car » February 19th, 2018, 10:19 pm

*$kїđž![emoji769] wrote:How much does a prius cost....roro...

Around 80k

urbandilema
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby urbandilema » February 20th, 2018, 12:14 am

car wrote:

Around 80k
still ?I thought the mv tax affecting that?

car
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby car » February 20th, 2018, 2:23 am

urbandilema wrote:
car wrote:

Around 80k

Them ting used to sell for as low as 55k before tax. Now 80k for the same ting.

urbandilema
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby urbandilema » February 20th, 2018, 6:05 am

car wrote:
urbandilema wrote:
car wrote:

Around 80k

well that's ain't bad...I wanted a van next if can't afford one best buy one those..always liked the shape and features

DJ Q
punchin NOS

Postby DJ Q » February 20th, 2018, 9:35 am

car wrote:
urbandilema wrote:
car wrote:

Around 80k

CORRECTION:
The Aqua will sell for around $80,000

A Prius will set you back about $140,000 unless you can find one already in the country.
One that's already here will be between $90-95,000

car
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby car » February 20th, 2018, 9:38 am

DJ Q wrote:
car wrote:
urbandilema wrote:
car wrote:

Around 80k

CORRECTION:

A Prius will set you back about $140,000 unless you can find one already in the country.

D&D auto world in Freeport have the Prius. starting at 80k. That was 3 weeks ago.

DJ Q
punchin NOS

Postby DJ Q » February 20th, 2018, 10:02 am

DJ Q wrote:1) Will share some pics tomorrow

Alright so I took some time to take some pics and translate this for you all

This is what the dashboard of the Prius provides:

IMG_5499.jpg

IMG_5498.jpg

IMG_5500.jpg

IMG_5501.jpg

IMG_5502.jpg

IMG_5503.jpg

IMG_5504.jpg

DJ Q
punchin NOS

Postby DJ Q » February 20th, 2018, 10:06 am

Just a few more pics:

IMG_5508.jpg

IMG_5505.jpg

IMG_5497.jpg

Also, remember where I spoke about the small light that was bugging me?
This is where it's located:
IMG_5507.jpg

Hope this helps

DJ Q
punchin NOS

Postby DJ Q » February 20th, 2018, 10:08 am

car wrote:
DJ Q wrote:
car wrote:
urbandilema wrote:
car wrote:

Around 80k

CORRECTION:

D&D auto world in Freeport have the Prius. starting at 80k. That was 3 weeks ago.

Not trying to be mean here, but the question was the price of one RORO.
I even included in my answer: "Unless you can find one landed"
I have never seen a Prius advertised for less than $75,000.

urbandilema
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby urbandilema » February 20th, 2018, 10:40 am

DJ Q wrote:Just a few more pics:

IMG_5508.jpg

IMG_5505.jpg

IMG_5497.jpg

Also, remember where I spoke about the small light that was bugging me?
This is where it's located:
IMG_5507.jpg

Hope this helps
nice info but I doubt I go be one as yet or even this year I have 141 fielder and that mileage decent too I does make point to San do for at least days a week and a 3 quarter tank does Las so that ain't bad..u may look at Google maps for truth or see if u get an American dash pic online so u cud refer..may be the same..

nice car I does say..

DJ Q
punchin NOS

Postby DJ Q » February 20th, 2018, 10:58 am

I actually did look online for the American dash but the lineup is different.
The "Language" option actually only offers Japanese so I don't even understand why it's there.

I had a 2008 141 Fielder before and also used to go from St Augustine to Point Fortin 3 - 4 days a week regularly.
I'd average 14-15km/l with those runs. Once you maintain it well, the Fielder is very, very good on fuel. Try increasing your tyre pressure to 35 and it will help as well. The best I ever got was 647.3 km to $160 (16.06 km/l or 37.76 mpg US)

I filled up last night from almost running on fumes... $159 > 880.1 km.
Dash reported 22.3km but I calculated 21.98 which is 51.7 mpg (US)
Funny thing is after I filled up, I realized my tyres were really soft... 26PSI
Puffed up to 40 PSI and I can feel the difference in coasting. As you can see on the dash, it's already reporting a much higher average. But I'll only know when I fill up next.

urbandilema
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby urbandilema » February 20th, 2018, 11:04 am

DJ Q wrote:I actually did look online for the American dash but the lineup is different.
The "Language" option actually only offers Japanese so I don't even understand why it's there.

I had a 2008 141 Fielder before and also used to go from St Augustine to Point Fortin 3 - 4 days a week regularly.
I'd average 14-15km/l with those runs. Once you maintain it well, the Fielder is very, very good on fuel. Try increasing your tyre pressure to 35 and it will help as well. The best I ever got was 647.3 km to $160 (16.06 km/l or 37.76 mpg US)

I filled up last night from almost running on fumes... $159 > 880.1 km.
Dash reported 22.3km but I calculated 21.98 which is 51.7 mpg (US)
Funny thing is after I filled up, I realized my tyres were really soft... 26PSI
Puffed up to 40 PSI and I can feel the difference in coasting. As you can see on the dash, it's already reporting a much higher average. But I'll only know when I fill up next.
nice info Again and will raise my psi on the tyres but that's rel economy...and yea my fielder is that year..I was before made arima to sando for almost 4years with mines and the consumption was quarter tank per day now it's like needle does move lol

urbandilema
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby urbandilema » February 20th, 2018, 11:07 am

lil pic of someone in Japan fixing up a prius
IMG-20180111-WA0026.jpg
IMG-20180111-WA0026.jpg
IMG-20180111-WA0025.jpg
Attachments
IMG-20180111-WA0027.jpg

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » February 20th, 2018, 2:10 pm

Thanks DJQ.

car, there is no such thing as a Fielder Hybrid 1.6. See below:

1st gen Prius XW10 1.5 1NZ-FXE (1997-2003)
2nd gen Prius XW20 1.5 1NZ-FXE (2003-2009)
3rd gen Prius XW30 1.8 2ZR-FXE (2009-2015)
4th gen Prius XW50 1.8 2ZR-FXE (2015-present)
Prius C (Aqua) NHP10 1.5 1NZ-FXE (2011-present)
Prius V (Alpha) ZVW40 1.8 2ZR-FXE (2011-present)

I gathered there are 3 types of Aqua:
L - basic
S - mid grade
G - fully loaded

So far we drive with AC on, most if not all of the time and with a good mix between city and highway driving and on NORMAL mode NOT ECO mode, we can easily cross 600kms per tank. All we did was change oil, oil filter, engine air filter and transmission fluid. When we do the fuel injector/throttle body service and change the spark plugs, I expect to get better mileage. With a total of 99HP combined from its Atkinson combustion cycle engine and electric motor, its no faster than your regular non-hybrid 1.5 Otto combustion cycle vehicle but performance is not what someone buys a Prius for.
Last edited by agent007 on February 20th, 2018, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DJ Q
punchin NOS

Postby DJ Q » February 20th, 2018, 2:26 pm

car wrote:Why does the Prius come 1.8 and the hybrid fielder comes 1.6 when the fielder is what I believe a bigger/heavier vehicle capable of carrying a heavier load?

I actually forgot to address this.
The hybrid Fielder carries the same engine/transmission from the Aqua, which is 1.5 (1490CC)
It actually produces 5 HP less than the standard 1NZ-FE engine, but there's significant torque, so you can't really feel the difference.

frydry
Ricer

Postby frydry » February 20th, 2018, 8:13 pm

Anyone ever changed the transmission fluid in their Aqua? In the manual there is no mention of it but from other forums I see that it is recommended

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » February 20th, 2018, 9:58 pm

Toyota doesn't include transmission fluid in their service schedule because it's considered lifetime however lifetime is for the warranty period of the car, meaning, there is no need to touch it between 0 and 100,000kms. It is not a conventional CVT transmission so it doesn't break down the viscosity as quickly due to less heat etc. I took front and purchased 4qts of ATF-WS though and changed it. The fluid that was drained out was dark. Did I feel any noticeable difference after the change? Nope.

On another note, the coolant appears to be shared between, engine and inverter. According to the sticker I captured and posted, you don't need to change that after 240,000kms or 150,000miles. Lastly the spark plugs are good for 100,000kms since it's a Denso Iridium tip plug. The engine air filter and cabin air filter you can change at your convenience based on how it looks. If dark and dirty then change it and do it yourself. It's simple. The other item that doesn't need to be touched until the front pads burn out is the brake fluid. Pads and shoes last long since friction is also absorbed by the regen braking system. Oil and filter can change based on how you perceive the service should be which is typically every 5,000kms or 3months. With amsoil full synthetic 0W-20, oil change intervals can last up to 25,000kms or 1 year and thanks to the strength of the drivetrain's EV capability, you can actually go full term since the ICE is not running 25% of the time at minimum. Lastly, there are no belts to change. Such an economical car to own and maintain. I wish I had access to this technology since I was 17. The money I would save alone on city commutes would be significant for more worthwhile investments.

urbandilema
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby urbandilema » February 21st, 2018, 1:18 am

agent007 wrote:Toyota doesn't include transmission fluid in their service schedule because it's considered lifetime however lifetime is for the warranty period of the car, meaning, there is no need to touch it between 0 and 100,000kms. It is not a conventional CVT transmission so it doesn't break down the viscosity as quickly due to less heat etc. I took front and purchased 4qts of ATF-WS though and changed it. The fluid that was drained out was dark. Did I feel any noticeable difference after the change? Nope.

On another note, the coolant appears to be shared between, engine and inverter. According to the sticker I captured and posted, you don't need to change that after 240,000kms or 150,000miles. Lastly the spark plugs are good for 100,000kms since it's a Denso Iridium tip plug. The engine air filter and cabin air filter you can change at your convenience based on how it looks. If dark and dirty then change it and do it yourself. It's simple. The other item that doesn't need to be touched until the front pads burn out is the brake fluid. Pads and shoes last long since friction is also absorbed by the regen braking system. Oil and filter can change based on how you perceive the service should be which is typically every 5,000kms or 3months. With amsoil full synthetic 0W-20, oil change intervals can last up to 25,000kms or 1 year and thanks to the strength of the drivetrain's EV capability, you can actually go full term since the ICE is not running 25% of the time at minimum. Lastly, there are no belts to change. Such an economical car to own and maintain. I wish I had access to this technology since I was 17. The money I would save alone on city commutes would be significant for more worthwhile investments.
nice info..the main thing with toyo Cvt is to treat it well..change on time and u good to go

DJ Q
punchin NOS

Postby DJ Q » February 21st, 2018, 10:11 am

urbandilema wrote:nice info..the main thing with toyo Cvt is to treat it well..change on time and u good to go

That's actually the point he was making. It's not a "real" CVT.
My transmission failed in my Fielder and although it was an expensive failure, when you even it out over the lifetime that I had the car, it wasn't really that bad. Over 51 months, I spent $20,277.99 in service through the 107,285 km that I put on the dash.

My two most expensive services were Transmission: $6,500 and compressor: $2,600

I'm very confident that for the next decade that I plan to own this car that my service cost will not even reach that.

urbandilema
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby urbandilema » February 21st, 2018, 11:48 am

so far the most I spent on my fielded was for was for the service yearly on tx and oil change..it's only recently Las year I changed suspension parts and shocks due to terrible roads down point side..thanks for the Info..prius sounds like a great vehicle I actually liked em way back when I saw them before they even came tnt

car
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby car » February 21st, 2018, 9:42 pm

agent007 wrote:Toyota doesn't include transmission fluid in their service schedule because it's considered lifetime however lifetime is for the warranty period of the car, meaning, there is no need to touch it between 0 and 100,000kms. It is not a conventional CVT transmission so it doesn't break down the viscosity as quickly due to less heat etc. I took front and purchased 4qts of ATF-WS though and changed it. The fluid that was drained out was dark. Did I feel any noticeable difference after the change? Nope.

No disc brakes on the rear?

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » February 21st, 2018, 10:17 pm

That's correct. Prius C / Aqua has drums to the back.

car
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby car » February 22nd, 2018, 6:23 am

agent007 wrote:That's correct. Prius C / Aqua has drums to the back.

So there is disc on the Prius?

DJ Q
punchin NOS

Postby DJ Q » February 22nd, 2018, 12:58 pm

Yes, 4 wheel disc on the Prius.
I find the rear brakes to be rather large.

Advertisement

Return to “TOYOTA”