TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

So, when you design your car audio system to take up very little space in the trunk...

(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

So, when you design your car audio system to take up very little space in the trunk...

Postby Brian Steele » August 7th, 2017, 1:16 pm

... that leaves space to carry another audio system in the trunk :-).

In this case it's my little PA system that does sound duty for beach limes and the like. 40 Hz TH based on a 12" driver and two tops. There's even space to fit the stands in. All plug into the car audio amps when it's time for them to be used. As for the car audio system - in the trunk that consists of two Alpine Type Rs in a fiberglass enclosure in the spare tire well. It's there under the towel at the bottom :-)

20170723-gallery.jpg

black start
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: So, when you design your car audio system to take up very little space in the trunk...

Postby black start » August 7th, 2017, 1:20 pm

Not bad at all

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Re: So, when you design your car audio system to take up very little space in the trunk...

Postby nick639v2 » August 7th, 2017, 2:00 pm

Very nice...you designed the box yourself?? Whats the sub u using... I'm intrigued

novastar1
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby novastar1 » August 7th, 2017, 2:23 pm

Nice wine storage area

L'Audi
Sweet on this forum

Postby L'Audi » August 7th, 2017, 3:01 pm

Brian Steele wrote:... that leaves space to carry another audio system in the trunk :-).

In this case it's my little PA system that does sound duty for beach limes and the like. 40 Hz TH based on a 12" driver and two tops. There's even space to fit the stands in. All plug into the car audio amps when it's time for them to be used. As for the car audio system - in the trunk that consists of two Alpine Type Rs in a fiberglass enclosure in the spare tire well. It's there under the towel at the bottom :-)

20170723-gallery.jpg

Lol.. you beat me to it.

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Brian Steele » August 7th, 2017, 8:27 pm

nick639v2 wrote:Very nice...you designed the box yourself?? Whats the sub u using... I'm intrigued

It's my POC3 design - more information here: http://www.diysubwoofers.org/projects/other/PA310-TH2/

The emphasis for that design was getting low and loud with as little power and $$$ as possible - it goes down to 40 Hz and does around 116dB with 60W of input, but above that it goes non-linear because the driver only has 5mm of Xmax. I've recently bought a Kappalite 3012LF to replace it that should give 4dB more linear output in the same box, but power usage goes up to 280W to get there, sigh. so I'm also working on another more efficient TH design to make better use of that driver.

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » August 7th, 2017, 8:37 pm

This is bad ass... know nothing about TH designs or their outputs... this is a definite project in the making

If u dont mind explaining, how does a TH design and box differ from a subwoofer in a ported box in a car?? Can they even be compared? Like whats the bass even like? Low boomy bass? Or just punchy house music style?

And u said 60W is that all the sub needs to perform??

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Brian Steele » August 9th, 2017, 9:29 pm

nick639v2 wrote:If u dont mind explaining, how does a TH design and box differ from a subwoofer in a ported box in a car??

They are quite different in nature. a TH is a bit more like a TL than a vented box, with the added advantage of extra output and, if so designed, a much-reduced dip in midbass response. There's no such thing as a free lunch however - the box size for a TH tends to be a bit large, though not as large as normal bass horns. As with other designs, how a TH sounds depends a lot on how well-designed it was. Good THs give an effortless-sounding bass.

nick639v2 wrote:IAnd u said 60W is that all the sub needs to perform??

It's a cheap $65 pro audio driver with about 5mm of Xmax. The low Xmax is the limiting factor here, as the driver is rated to handle 350W continuous. Displacement-limited output is 116dB with 60W of input according to the sim I used to build it, but IRL it's capable of a little more than that. For comparison purposes, car audio subs tend to be fairly inefficient, and your typical 85dB/1W/1M car audio subwoofer in a vented box would have to be driven with around 1.5kW to achieve the same passband level that TH is capable of. Guess which one will play longer if your power source is your car's battery? :).

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Brian Steele » August 17th, 2017, 10:05 pm

Brian Steele wrote:Good THs give an effortless-sounding bass.

And here's why it sounds effortless - here's the response of my TH with its new 3012LF-4 driver. I used my car amp for the test, so the response is being filtered above 100 Hz or so. The HornResp sim of the TH with that driver says that the driver would run out of Xmax in that TH at 33.5V (i.e. 280W into 4 ohms) in its passband. I tested it up to 40V (400W into 4 ohms) and I'm fairly sure that the "compression" that's visible in the 40V test has more to do with the mic than the TH. Notice however that the response remains virtually identical at lower levels? I'm sure that's what contributes to my impression of that "effortless bass" sound.
Attachments
2017-08-16.png

nareshseep
punchin NOS

Postby nareshseep » August 27th, 2017, 1:28 pm

Very impressive ,is that a Mazda 323?

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » August 28th, 2017, 1:07 pm

nareshseep wrote:Very impressive ,is that a Mazda 323?

U real off dey mamoo... tucson

Mercenary
Riding on 18's

Postby Mercenary » August 29th, 2017, 12:22 am

nick639v2 wrote:
nareshseep wrote:Very impressive ,is that a Mazda 323?

U real off dey mamoo... tucson

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”