Forums

LF: Inductor winding

(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

nareshseep
punchin NOS

LF: Inductor winding

Postby nareshseep » August 27th, 2017, 1:07 pm

Looking to build a passive crossover and I am in need of air code inductors.
I was considering constructing it to cut cost, however I require enameled wire.
Where can I obtain enameled wire?

secondly does anyone know of any motorwinding shop that might be able to do this for me?

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: LF: Inductor winding

Postby X_Factor » August 27th, 2017, 2:14 pm

good luck!
tried those projects but lack of resources and decent quality parts locally made it very difficult

home theater business?

pjfred
Trinituner Peong

Postby pjfred » August 27th, 2017, 4:27 pm

I have some copper coated wire

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » August 27th, 2017, 7:37 pm

Check partsexpress.com ... I have wrapped a few air-core inductors while in UWI, its not that difficult but you need the materials and the machine to help you. My opinion is to size your components using existing values and just order them. Don't go through that hassle.

info-maniac
Street 2NR

Postby info-maniac » August 27th, 2017, 8:49 pm

There's an app called coil32 on the play store that your can use to calculate your coil parameters.
Other than that,I normally get my enameled wire by scraping old motors and transformers. The only setback is that you need a caliper to measure your wire diameter to ensure that you have the correct wire for your amperage requirement

nareshseep
punchin NOS

Postby nareshseep » August 27th, 2017, 9:21 pm

X_Factor wrote:good luck!
tried those projects but lack of resources and decent quality parts locally made it very difficult

home theater business?

Building a pair of two way speakers for the computer. Yup you are correct, so far partesxpress and solen.ca looks like the place to go. Dont have a mic to test, so that makes it a bit difficult. So Im using Xsim and baffle diffraction for simulations for the time being.

Project consists of a 6" in a tline and 1" dome tweeter in a waveguide, hoping for a response from 40hz to 16khz +-3db 30deg off axis.

Soundstream_626
Riding on 17's

Postby Soundstream_626 » August 27th, 2017, 11:13 pm

See if you can salvage them from a car audio passive. Alternatively, I have seen PA passives with dual 12db networks selling in some electronics places for about 150ish. You can get an LCR meter and unwind to suit.

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » August 29th, 2017, 12:51 pm

I get mine from big ole transformers and motors

Its a pain to extract without scratching the wire, but hey, free enamel wire dawg.

Although if you scratch it, it aint no big scene if the pieces of wire next to it aint scratched as well. You can add a coating to it if it happens doh.

Side note, Transformers are easier to take apart than motors. It's soft iron too so you can cut/split it easily.
Microwave transformers have thick wire for the primary, and a LOT of thinner gauge wire for the secondary.
A LOT

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But if you want to buy, Sham's electronics have.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Side side note, If you want ferrite torroid cores for winding, computer powersupplies and CRT monitors are a good source

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”