TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

***The official early evo/GSR thread***

Mitsu Lancer, Evo, GSR, MIVEC, 4G**, GDI, Galant, Outlander, L200 Sportero/Triton etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

janfar
punchin NOS

***The official early evo/GSR thread***

Postby janfar » August 7th, 2009, 3:28 pm

When in 5th gear i get a whining sound. When im off the throttle its normal, but once i get on it again it will whine for a few seconds then go away. Dont know what it is.

Also I installed a ACT extreme clutch and p/plate. Its really hard and sometimes I have to double clutch to get the gears in, anyone experienced this before???
Last edited by janfar on August 9th, 2009, 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Death-Row
punchin NOS

Postby Death-Row » August 7th, 2009, 4:14 pm

i currently have the heavy duty pressure plate with the 6 puck sprung copper ACT and i sometimes have to double clutch for the gears to go in smooth/good.

dunno if thats normal/good.

MISHI
3NE 2NR Aficionado

Postby MISHI » August 7th, 2009, 11:04 pm

You guy must love your left feet...

I still maintain IMHO a street car for the most should use a street and strip setup unless you're making lots of power and/ or you use it mainly for racing...

Extreme stuff is going to ovbiously have more clamping force so essentially it may not "want" to let go easily... working the pedal a couple times will help. In AWD cars like the evo a clutch should be the "fuse in the line"... that should be the one to break rather than your drivetrain... and a heavy system like that will put more strain to it... as well as mounts etc.

Anyway back to topic, the whine could be from a high gear shaft bearing in your box... possibly it's time to pull it apart and check it over... or possibly (doubt) the gearbox fluid may be low...it seems that you're getting it whenever load is put on the main shaft as well so you could start your search from there.

It wouldn't hurt to check your TC as well just in case...

janfar
punchin NOS

Postby janfar » August 7th, 2009, 11:24 pm

Pull donw box already, this is 'supposedly' a maintained box i got from a 'well reputed' mechanic.

I did some research today, i think my prob lies in my master/slave cylinder. The amount of pressure put out to move the piston on the slave cylinder is not enough to move the pressure plate back, also causing a small amount of fluid to move across the seals in the cylinder. I think the extreme was overkill.

Reason why i went with it was cause i burnt through a street and strip in less than a year, i thought i would have been better to go with something stronger, guess i was wrong...

Its not too much of a biatch to drive, i do Mayaro to Trinicity almost everyday so ive gotten used to it, but I spoke to someone and they said it wont be healthy for the stock thrust bearings. Think im gonna go with somthing from exedy or fidanza when funds presents itself, also will consider buying another box and flying in the parts to have it rebuilt stronger...

Wishfull thinking.

MISHI
3NE 2NR Aficionado

Postby MISHI » August 8th, 2009, 1:39 am

Reason why i went with it was cause i burnt through a street and strip in less than a year, i thought i would have been better to go with something stronger, guess i was wrong...

less than a year you say... well possibly ACT's losing their edge...

Excedy is a great brand and quite possibly my next replacement when the time comes (hopefully not too soon). ACT kits I'm looking at as well... but if they SS burning out so fast that might be an issue.

Death-Row
punchin NOS

Postby Death-Row » August 8th, 2009, 2:30 am

well so far, ive heard quite a number of reports of ACT setups going faster than b4. i think ACT either tried something new or they losing their quality? i dunno. my clutch setup went through about 3 weeks ago and i couldnt wait the time to fly in the one i really wanted so i just went with what was available at the time.

i think ill go street and strip when time/cash free up since my car is stock right now but i saw a nice HKS clutch setup and a OS Giken setup for our cars. hopeing to go that route when i start to mod, make some power.

janfar
punchin NOS

Postby janfar » August 8th, 2009, 9:12 am

I looking at the kits tunerimport bringing. Also, any of the 1g 2g setups from the eclipse will work for our application, so all the twin disc clutch kits will prolly be an option for me.
I think I will tear down my gearbox and have it rebuilt...

Death-Row
punchin NOS

Postby Death-Row » August 8th, 2009, 12:28 pm

as mishi and other was saying tho, copper might be a bit too harsh for AWD, i can see this after having it in my car but will the twin disk setups also be too harsh?

or are they all cool once u know how to launch?

janfar
punchin NOS

Postby janfar » August 8th, 2009, 1:19 pm

I drove a evo 5 that had the twin clutch setup, it launches well, grabs like a mofo, in regular driving when your picking up the groceries its not fierce at all and drives like a standard clutch. I

Death-Row
punchin NOS

Postby Death-Row » August 8th, 2009, 4:34 pm

janfar,niceeee. i drove a r34 and a 300zx with twin disc setups, felt really nice. didnt know its similar feel to the evos also, according to what you described.

hmph
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby hmph » August 8th, 2009, 5:00 pm

nice thread i agree with MISHI, i say its in ur gearbox or T-case...

janfar, how much TQ u making?

an extreme clutch like that does more bad than good IMO.

janfar
punchin NOS

Postby janfar » August 8th, 2009, 5:48 pm

hmph wrote:nice thread i agree with MISHI, i say its in ur gearbox or T-case...

janfar, how much TQ u making?

an extreme clutch like that does more bad than good IMO.

Never dyno'd yet. But i believe what u say by more bad than good, excess strain on the slave and master cylinder, the thrust bearings, the gearbox not to mention the firewall where the pedal is mounted. I was reading on evo 321 where a guy damaged his firewall.

Death-Row
punchin NOS

Postby Death-Row » August 8th, 2009, 6:44 pm

i had a similar prob i guess with a similar noise. when i now bougth the car, the gbox oil was almost none. so i drained, changed, flushed, changed again and it took the noise away.

have u ever had the noise b4? try a different gbox oil? im using the belray but im not sure if its tooo thick. what you guys use?

hmph
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby hmph » August 8th, 2009, 7:23 pm

Amsoil is what i use and great reviews from the states as well.

Redline is good to...

an extreme clutch can also cause crankwalk....

MISHI
3NE 2NR Aficionado

Postby MISHI » August 8th, 2009, 8:13 pm

Just make sure that the oil you use is 75w-w85 or 75w-90 in GL4

and for the transfer case SAE 90 or 80W- 90 in GL5

For transfer and rear diff, it's good to replace the fluids every 6 months to a year especially is the car racks up many miles per day. Also good if you have small sweating or leaks along the seals.

an extreme clutch can also cause crankwalk....

And I really didn't want to say it...

Especially if you have a 2nd gen 63T with the 7 bolt crankshaft...

Death-Row
punchin NOS

Postby Death-Row » August 8th, 2009, 9:28 pm

well right now im running a 93T. CD5A model gsr. i currently run 20w50 amsoil in my engine. i think im gonna run amsoil all the way in truth yes. was also hearin that redline is best for our engines? or it makes no diff between amsoil and redline really, they both good?

also, i have a lil prob. when i drive my car slow, sometimes, not all the time, its kinda hard to go into 3rd. if i double clutch tho, it goes in ok. what can cause this? sometimes i might feel a type of grate. my shifter bushings are gone i think tho, the shifter has alot of play.

sorry for the thread hijack boy janfar but i think this can be a nice thread for people with our type cars to get some info.

Nik
Sweet on this forum

Postby Nik » August 8th, 2009, 10:23 pm

nice thread guys...
oil wise i use redline straight through... no probs with my car (engine wise) had to wreck my car home from south 2day :( i think i damaged by left front joint...

Death-Row
punchin NOS

Postby Death-Row » August 8th, 2009, 10:35 pm

:x :cry: sorry to hear Nik.

i think this week ill be draining all the oil, box, engine, diff, tcase etc. think ill run either redline or amsoil straight through yes. thnx for the info.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » August 8th, 2009, 11:14 pm

MISHI wrote:

less than a year you say... well possibly ACT's losing their edge...

Excedy is a great brand and quite possibly my next replacement when the time comes (hopefully not too soon). ACT kits I'm looking at as well... but if they SS burning out so fast that might be an issue.

Less than a year sounds extreme. Are you breaking in the clutch properly?

janfar
punchin NOS

Postby janfar » August 9th, 2009, 9:51 am

Clutch was broken in according to ACT break in procedure over 500km. I will go look for the old clutch tomorrow and show you.

Nik, What in the joint you damaged, keep me updated.

Changing the topic for clarity

hmph
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby hmph » August 9th, 2009, 12:37 pm

redline and amsoil is similar in performance they are both choices of leading DSM ppl.

Death-Row
punchin NOS

Postby Death-Row » August 9th, 2009, 12:50 pm

hmmm, cool, will do my oil change this week if god permits.

but what about my other prob....

also, i have a lil prob. when i drive my car slow, sometimes, not all the time, its kinda hard to go into 3rd. if i double clutch tho, it goes in ok. what can cause this? sometimes i might feel a type of grate. my shifter bushings are gone i think tho, the shifter has alot of play.

Nik
Sweet on this forum

Postby Nik » August 9th, 2009, 1:40 pm

janfar wrote:Nik, What in the joint you damaged, keep me updated.

scrapping the front between today-wednesday... will keep posted

but i think i know what caused it to give away... was playin d a$$ with some 4wd drifting some time ago :oops:

janfar
punchin NOS

Postby janfar » August 9th, 2009, 3:57 pm

Lol, ive been doing some serious powerslides and drifting in a big vacant car park here in Mayaro. Hope I dont damage anything.

TrEnD$eTt@
Street 2NR

Postby TrEnD$eTt@ » August 9th, 2009, 4:12 pm

hhmm like my car is the most babied around never launched or driffted .....i use royal purple in my car and have had no problems....on the contrary these cars evo 1-3 are the hardest to work on there is almost no space in that engine bay ive had the unfortunate task of replacing a a/c compressor and taking down a alternator to have it serviced an it is the worst....god forbid the day i have to change mounts :shock: i think allround they are great cars the lack of ayc and the other gadgets that come in the later models makes it a fun drive..and still one of the most nimble evos in stock form....great thread l..hopefully when i start upgrades i can make a meaningful contribution :wink:

Virus
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Virus » August 9th, 2009, 5:22 pm

True words but from what i have experienced from both a almost stock e3 like yours and a well equipped e4 the difference is very hard to identify even with the AYC of the e4 yours handled some sharp cornering and turning as we experience today i must say am amazed at the performance and tastefully done upgrades, i hope you sort out the alternator problem soon and even with that problem we still had a good go so i say cheers to that.

TrEnD$eTt@
Street 2NR

Postby TrEnD$eTt@ » August 9th, 2009, 7:56 pm

Virus wrote:True words but from what i have experienced from both a almost stock e3 like yours and a well equipped e4 the difference is very hard to identify even with the AYC of the e4 yours handled some sharp cornering and turning as we experience today i must say am amazed at the performance and tastefully done upgrades, i hope you sort out the alternator problem soon and even with that problem we still had a good go so i say cheers to that.

Handling courtesy OHLINS :twisted: tanx starr hope you get through with acquiring one of these... :wink:

Virus
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Virus » August 10th, 2009, 6:24 am

Maybe a certain e3 from sunday who knows :roll:

janfar
punchin NOS

Postby janfar » August 10th, 2009, 8:51 am

Which part this fun take place???

We should get together and plan a day for the early evos to run somewhere???

TrEnD$eTt@
Street 2NR

Postby TrEnD$eTt@ » August 10th, 2009, 11:15 am

janfar wrote:Which part this fun take place???

We should get together and plan a day for the early evos to run somewhere???

i supporting that 100% i think there is much that can be had in terms of shared experiences...pm me most present ! :twisted:

Advertisement

Return to “MITSUBISHI”