this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Building a house in Trinidad

Postby De Dragon » August 6th, 2021, 2:53 pm

Habit7 wrote:
carluva wrote:
Habit7 wrote:Who does mountings of ceiling fans?

If wiring is already in place, this is fairly easy for a competent DIYer. I have done two in my home already, with some help to lift the fan motor.

However, you need to ensure a few things for safety purposes:

1. A Metal Octagon Can must be installed in the ceiling. Not PVC. The fan is affixed to the metal can which is structurally stronger than a PVC.

2. The metal can must be strapped to the ceiling. In other words, C-Channel must be screwed to the can and this C-Channel is then screwed to the roof purlins (if possible). If this cannot be done, the cross braces using C-Channel can be screwed to the can and then affixed to the C-Channel for the ceiling (if suspended gypsum ceiling). Other means of safely strapping are acceptable depending on ceiling type, but the goal is to ensure that the octagon can is safely secured to a stronger part of the structure to be able to take the suspended weight of a ceiling fan and the accompanying forces when on.

3. If securing to the underside of concrete decking, ideally, the octagon can should have been set flush on the underside of the decking (i.e. the "ceiling") and secured to rebar accordingly.

If none of these exist or are possible, do not install the ceiling fan. It is a safety hazard.

Once the octagon can is safely secured, you can then install the fan affixed to the octagon can. The fan will have all the necessary bracketry to install on a can.

It's a gypsum ceiling on the top floor so it will need something to support it. I trust myself to change a light bulb, beyond that in the electrical department, I like to call a professional.

My wife and I did 3 last year, two in bedrooms and one in the living room. First time I did this, and the instructions especially wrt the wiring diagram were a godsend. The only issue is that I had to get longer threaded sleeves for the mount to the can, as the supplied ones were too short. The brand was Hunter from PriceSmart. Make sure to follow the instructions and you'll be good. Gypsum ceiling as well.
Hey buy a bottle or a case of Stag, throw on a pelau, and we can discuss some politics while I help you install it :lol:

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » August 6th, 2021, 3:30 pm

De Dragon wrote:
Habit7 wrote:
carluva wrote:

If wiring is already in place, this is fairly easy for a competent DIYer. I have done two in my home already, with some help to lift the fan motor.

1. A Metal Octagon Can must be installed in the ceiling. Not PVC. The fan is affixed to the metal can which is structurally stronger than a PVC.

2. The metal can must be strapped to the ceiling. In other words, C-Channel must be screwed to the can and this C-Channel is then screwed to the roof purlins (if possible). If this cannot be done, the cross braces using C-Channel can be screwed to the can and then affixed to the C-Channel for the ceiling (if suspended gypsum ceiling). Other means of safely strapping are acceptable depending on ceiling type, but the goal is to ensure that the octagon can is safely secured to a stronger part of the structure to be able to take the suspended weight of a ceiling fan and the accompanying forces when on.

3. If securing to the underside of concrete decking, ideally, the octagon can should have been set flush on the underside of the decking (i.e. the "ceiling") and secured to rebar accordingly.

If none of these exist or are possible, do not install the ceiling fan. It is a safety hazard.

Once the octagon can is safely secured, you can then install the fan affixed to the octagon can. The fan will have all the necessary bracketry to install on a can.

It's a gypsum ceiling on the top floor so it will need something to support it. I trust myself to change a light bulb, beyond that in the electrical department, I like to call a professional.

My wife and I did 3 last year, two in bedrooms and one in the living room. First time I did this, and the instructions especially wrt the wiring diagram were a godsend. The only issue is that I had to get longer threaded sleeves for the mount to the can, as the supplied ones were too short. The brand was Hunter from PriceSmart. Make sure to follow the instructions and you'll be good. Gypsum ceiling as well.
Hey buy a bottle or a case of Stag, throw on a pelau, and we can discuss some politics while I help you install it :lol:

I need to install the bracing above the gypsum to support it. I was hoping for a ceiling guy who knows a little electrical. I will ask around.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » August 6th, 2021, 3:47 pm

Habit7 wrote:
De Dragon wrote:
Habit7 wrote:
carluva wrote:

I need to install the bracing above the gypsum to support it. I was hoping for a ceiling guy who knows a little electrical. I will ask around.

Is there is no existing can where you want to install it? If there is a can, already there, it's supposed to be braced for lighting and other fixture installation. Do you have access to area above the ceiling to check?

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » August 6th, 2021, 4:49 pm

yeah but I'm afraid it is not strong enough, I don't want a wining fan.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » August 6th, 2021, 5:14 pm

Habit7 wrote:yeah but I'm afraid it is not strong enough, I don't want a wining fan.

I understand, better safe than sorry.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » August 6th, 2021, 6:24 pm

Cutover to new septic tank complete. Will button up in the morning. Being filled with water atm.

Observation and point to note.

We have two toilets upstairs and one downstairs. The line to the new septic tank had to be extended by about 20 feet.

When the two toilets upstairs are flushed because of the gravity, the water is able to quickly reach the septic tank. However the toilet downstairs takes a while to reach and barely so partly because there are a few bends that have to take place. It seems as though some buildup has to occur in this line before it can flow, but I am sure that stuff stays in.

Luckily I have several cleanouts at grade. I flushed them each out with a hose a lo and behold, waste came through into the new septic tank. So, always install cleanouts especially at bends in the line. And I plan to flush these cleanouts weekly or twice weekly based on what I have seen today. So the same should be done.

Ideally though, the shorter the line from the house to the septic tank with the fewest bends possible, the better.
IMG_20210806_180204535_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210806_180158829_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210806_180152834.jpg

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » August 6th, 2021, 7:06 pm

Habit7 wrote:I need to install the bracing above the gypsum to support it. I was hoping for a ceiling guy who knows a little electrical. I will ask around.

Not sure you can get one of those.

It is quite common to have cans in the ceiling that are not supported for fans. You usually have to tell your electrician that it is for a fan for him to ensure the structural bracing is installed. Else, it will be treated as a normal can with "some" bracing which is not suitable for fan mounting.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » August 7th, 2021, 5:41 am

good that you checked the flow with your septic system.

I had a guy do over mine and the idiot joined a downline from upstairs very close to a toilet on bottom floor
which resulted in flushes from upstairs flooding the toilet downstairs
needless to say tenant was not happy to see upstairs lunch and dinner when he was trying to get rid of his own lol

when you putting in the pump side stuff ?

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » August 7th, 2021, 7:13 am

Pump side of system is complete and pump hooked up. I'll take a pic later today and send.

Everything is complete. Thinking to leave the septic tank open for a day or so more to check for leaks and to monitor levels.

kerwinishere
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kerwinishere » August 10th, 2021, 12:13 pm

Say I had excess thinset, would I be able to substitute this for mortar for a single block height drain?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » August 10th, 2021, 12:41 pm

Thinset is designed to have a lower shear strength than masonry mortar. You will increase the likelihood that the block will separate.

2WNBoost
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby 2WNBoost » August 11th, 2021, 12:12 pm

I’m interested in some remodeling work.
Not convinced the former has any real experience and the latter did not return calls after the initial meeting.

Are there any others who do designs and do or coordinate the build?
Thanks

VexXx Dogg wrote:Any recent recommendations for foundation to finish residential contractors? turnkey options even better.

I saw HJ Designs on social media and their stuff looks good - dunno anyone who used them tho: https://www.facebook.com/hjdesignsltd

Another is
ALJA development: https://www.facebook.com/aljadevelopment

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » August 11th, 2021, 1:26 pm

anyone buy backfill recently?
what 20 yard loads going for

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » August 11th, 2021, 3:52 pm

I am getting clean fill back fill for $300 for half load by a stock pile nearby. That works up to $75 per cubic yard.

20 cubic yard will probably be about $1500 or so.
Phone Surgeon wrote:anyone buy backfill recently?
what 20 yard loads going for

worksux101
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby worksux101 » August 11th, 2021, 4:27 pm

2WNBoost wrote:I’m interested in some remodeling work.
Not convinced the former has any real experience and the latter did not return calls after the initial meeting.

Thanks

VexXx Dogg wrote:Any recent recommendations for foundation to finish residential contractors? turnkey options even better.

I saw HJ Designs on social media and their stuff looks good - dunno anyone who used them tho: https://www.facebook.com/hjdesignsltd

Another is

Best bet would be to get an architect to do the plan, and builder to conform to said plan after. Costs more but I've seen enough persons cheap out at the design stage with draughtsmen and burn later down the road.

ADONI
18 pounds of Boost

Postby ADONI » August 11th, 2021, 5:40 pm

carluva wrote:Cutover to new septic tank complete. Will button up in the morning. Being filled with water atm.

Observation and point to note.

We have two toilets upstairs and one downstairs. The line to the new septic tank had to be extended by about 20 feet.

When the two toilets upstairs are flushed because of the gravity, the water is able to quickly reach the septic tank. However the toilet downstairs takes a while to reach and barely so partly because there are a few bends that have to take place. It seems as though some buildup has to occur in this line before it can flow, but I am sure that stuff stays in.

Luckily I have several cleanouts at grade. I flushed them each out with a hose a lo and behold, waste came through into the new septic tank. So, always install cleanouts especially at bends in the line. And I plan to flush these cleanouts weekly or twice weekly based on what I have seen today. So the same should be done.

Ideally though, the shorter the line from the house to the septic tank with the fewest bends possible, the better.IMG_20210806_180152834.jpgIMG_20210806_180158829_HDR.jpgIMG_20210806_180204535_HDR.jpg

How come your flush to your ground? I see some people build theirs protruding about a feet above the ground. You know why is this? I am assuming they lazy to dig further or more material for soak away?

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » August 11th, 2021, 7:03 pm

I was able to get some depth before getting totally waterlogged due to ground water. The septic tank itself is bigger than design both in terms of width and height as well. So the volume of the tank is larger but slightly shallower due to high(ish) water table.

As such I wanted the final elevation to be lower than the curb so I can top dress with about an inch of stone which is what I had in that area before. That way an unsightly cover won't be visible in my yard and all that is required will be to remove some of the stone to access the clean out ports, the manhole covers, and if needed, to remove the kids entirely.

My neighbor did over his system last year. Water table was very high by him and as such, his tank extended about 12-18" above grade.

The final height is all dependent on what depth you can get. But it's not inconceivable that some people may be too lazy to dig deeper to get the depth.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » August 11th, 2021, 7:29 pm

u still have to match the height of your toilet waste piping

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » August 11th, 2021, 7:46 pm

Yes true. Forgot to mention that as well.

The AM Network
Ricer

Postby The AM Network » August 11th, 2021, 9:26 pm

Thanks

Another is

PM Sent

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » August 11th, 2021, 9:27 pm

Thanks

Another is

cadcott also has some impressive stuff, but please share if you find more options.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » August 12th, 2021, 12:47 am

1500 for 20 yards...

Ended up getting 800 for 20 yards delivered to central.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » August 12th, 2021, 7:05 am

That's good.

Was that clean fill or the fill with clay?

Whatever it is, that's a good price but likely you got that because of the quantity.

slickrick777
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby slickrick777 » August 12th, 2021, 9:51 am

was thinking of building a cabin type house, anybody ever do.this local or can pass me on to someone that has experience?

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » August 12th, 2021, 10:07 am

carluva wrote:That's good.

Was that clean fill or the fill with clay?

Whatever it is, that's a good price but likely you got that because of the quantity.

Actually, in South you normally get a 10 yard load for ~$300 so Phone Surgeon's price is not off. In years past that price would also include a backhoe to spread if you were buying large quantities.

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » August 17th, 2021, 10:13 am

Hey guys, I have a piece of driveway that was done a year ago and the area that the 2nd batch of readymix was used, the top is washing away a bit exposing the aggregate. I was in contact with a guy from SCL to recommend how to repair it but have been getting run around. Can anybody recommend any method and products to use to repair this?

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » August 17th, 2021, 9:19 pm

Size of area?

What do you mean by the 2nd batch of ready-mix?

Can you send some pics of the spalling concrete?

Spalling is common when the old school masons trowel finish when the concrete releases the water during the pour and compensate by throwing some cement on top. The best time to trowel finish is after the concrete has pulled back in the water. Most masons can't wait for this and do what they normally do, almost always at the risk to the customer in the long run.
Musical Doc wrote:Hey guys, I have a piece of driveway that was done a year ago and the area that the 2nd batch of readymix was used, the top is washing away a bit exposing the aggregate. I was in contact with a guy from SCL to recommend how to repair it but have been getting run around. Can anybody recommend any method and products to use to repair this?

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » August 18th, 2021, 8:36 am

carluva wrote:Size of area?

What do you mean by the 2nd batch of ready-mix?

Can you send some pics of the spalling concrete?

Spalling is common when the old school masons trowel finish when the concrete releases the water during the pour and compensate by throwing some cement on top. The best time to trowel finish is after the concrete has pulled back in the water. Most masons can't wait for this and do what they normally do, almost always at the risk to the customer in the long run.
Musical Doc wrote:Hey guys, I have a piece of driveway that was done a year ago and the area that the 2nd batch of readymix was used, the top is washing away a bit exposing the aggregate. I was in contact with a guy from SCL to recommend how to repair it but have been getting run around. Can anybody recommend any method and products to use to repair this?

The area is about 13ft by 10 ft. The driveway was done with 2 batches of readymix, 3m then 1m. The 1m area is the one that is spalling.
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2021-07-19 at 5.23.15 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-07-19 at 5.23.25 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-07-19 at 5.23.25 PM (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-07-19 at 5.23.25 PM (2).jpeg

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » August 18th, 2021, 10:45 am

Agree that the sales persons from SCL are not the most reliable at times.

I would suggest you call the SCL solutions store in Barataria. The persons there are very knowledgeable and are able to get through to the product experts if they don't know. And in my experience, they do get back to you.

From what is pictured, I do believe that SCL has products that can repair your driveway. Renderoc is a repair product but there are different types suitable for different types of damage.

Another option, if you have the space at the top of the driveway that goes to your house/garage is to do a 1" to 2" screed mix above the entire driveway. It seems you have enough room from the pics to lay some board along the sides to get a 2" coverage above the existing driveway.

A good screed mix would be 3/8" pebbles with sharp sand (I used this a few years ago and have good performance). You can even add fibers to reduce cracking over time. You may even find that this will give a uniform appearance throughout rather than having the repaired section look a bit different.

I have heard of the Renderoc repair products failing as well, but I cannot recall which product this was. YMMV.

Additionally, you have a crack as well that should be dealt with. The best way to do this will be to open up the crack with a grinder and suitable disc, clean and then fill with an epoxy joint repair. This needs to be done before you repair the surface.

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » August 18th, 2021, 1:29 pm

carluva wrote:Agree that the sales persons from SCL are not the most reliable at times.

I would suggest you call the SCL solutions store in Barataria. The persons there are very knowledgeable and are able to get through to the product experts if they don't know. And in my experience, they do get back to you.

From what is pictured, I do believe that SCL has products that can repair your driveway. Renderoc is a repair product but there are different types suitable for different types of damage.

Another option, if you have the space at the top of the driveway that goes to your house/garage is to do a 1" to 2" screed mix above the entire driveway. It seems you have enough room from the pics to lay some board along the sides to get a 2" coverage above the existing driveway.

A good screed mix would be 3/8" pebbles with sharp sand (I used this a few years ago and have good performance). You can even add fibers to reduce cracking over time. You may even find that this will give a uniform appearance throughout rather than having the repaired section look a bit different.

I have heard of the Renderoc repair products failing as well, but I cannot recall which product this was. YMMV.

Additionally, you have a crack as well that should be dealt with. The best way to do this will be to open up the crack with a grinder and suitable disc, clean and then fill with an epoxy joint repair. This needs to be done before you repair the surface.

Thanks for the recommendation. A guy sent me a link to SSL who sells a loctite concrete resurfacer which I will look into as well. The crack you are seeing is actually where the new concrete joined to the existing concrete bridge. If I do the screed mix I may have to do it on the old concrete as well to get height uniformity

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”