eitech
punchin NOS

The DIY CCTV camera system thread

Postby eitech » January 22nd, 2021, 6:24 pm

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: The DIY CCTV camera system thread

Postby 88sins » January 22nd, 2021, 6:56 pm

Anyone know where has decent bullet cameras with ir for reasonable price? Need 6 for now, might add a few more later on. Looking to buy tomorrow.
Looking around and seeing some mad people selling some things at some crazy price, and I eh in d mood to deal with imps today

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » January 22nd, 2021, 7:24 pm

I am looking for a power supply for my system EPCOM PS12DC4C

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » January 22nd, 2021, 10:02 pm

eitech wrote:I am looking for a power supply for my system EPCOM PS12DC4C

Can't use a pc power supply? It cheap, easy to mod to the purpose, and lasts years. Only thing you would need besides that is to get is a 1:8 male power splitter cable and a single female Jack to solder onto the ps, and that's that.

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » January 23rd, 2021, 12:58 am

88sins wrote:
eitech wrote:I am looking for a power supply for my system EPCOM PS12DC4C

Can't use a pc power supply? It cheap, easy to mod to the purpose, and lasts years. Only thing you would need besides that is to get is a 1:8 male power splitter cable and a single female Jack to solder onto the ps, and that's that.

That’s not a bad idea sir

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » January 23rd, 2021, 10:23 am

Is what I use, and the last one I I change 4 years ago still going strong.
Connect a few of the yellow wires together, then the black, and solder on the female jack. Connect one black to the single green, and you got 12v
-13v, depending on the ps.
If you want you can add a small switch on the green and black wire to turn on/off, but if the ps has a power button it's not needed.

anthonyanthony
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby anthonyanthony » January 23rd, 2021, 2:28 pm

problem with using a 1 computer power supply for dvr and cameras is that if someone or something shorts any of the 12 v outputs at a camera end the power supply shuts down resulting in the entire cctv system going down

anthonyanthony
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby anthonyanthony » January 23rd, 2021, 2:36 pm

computer power supply is cheeper..you can use one from old computers but have 1 for the dvr and depending on how much cameras u have and their location ..use 1 or 2 to power a different set or zone of cameras...the power supplies should be placed in a well ventilated area and vents cleaned on a regular basis ..which may be difficult is your dvr is hidden i hope

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » January 23rd, 2021, 2:49 pm

anthonyanthony wrote:problem with using a 1 computer power supply for dvr and cameras is that if someone or something shorts any of the 12 v outputs at a camera end the power supply shuts down resulting in the entire cctv system going down

The system i have has separate power supplies. One to power the dvr and the other to power the cameras. Even the camera power supply has four separate outputs.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » January 24th, 2021, 11:17 am

anthonyanthony wrote:problem with using a 1 computer power supply for dvr and cameras is that if someone or something shorts any of the 12 v outputs at a camera end the power supply shuts down resulting in the entire cctv system going down

I hear you, but there's a cheap & easy solution to that as well

instead of using all the 12v lines in one, run them individually to each camera and put a 1a glass fuse on each positive line (will require multipe female jacks and fuses and fuse holders, thus sending costs up).
that way if one camera shorts it may not get damaged but the rest of the system remains active & undisturbed.

dis is a DIY ched pallie, yuh hadda start looking at problems from outside d box :lol:

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » January 24th, 2021, 11:42 am

I just saw a epcom power brick for $165 locally. So considering the cost of a pc psu and all connectors to make it possible, is it worth it cost wise and /or reliability wise?

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » January 24th, 2021, 3:25 pm

eitech wrote:I just saw a epcom power brick for $165 locally. So considering the cost of a pc psu and all connectors to make it possible, is it worth it cost wise and /or reliability wise?

cost wise, they'd both cost about the same price factoring for the additional pieces to convert the psi.
Reliability wise, even using the cheapest psu you can find will outlast the power brick.

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » January 30th, 2021, 8:02 am

Trying to solve a problem i have goin on awhile now with my hikvision 6 camera system. This all started with my hard drive failing. For what ever reason, the hdd works in a regular pc and not dvr. I tried a regular hdd in the dvr and it works. So i bought the correct surveillance hdd add reinstalled, np. Hdd was detected. While reinstalling the dvr into the shelf all video goes crazy. Im thinking maybe slack wires so i checked all. I did find some slack and fixed all. I even used ferrule logs. Video quality eventually stabilized. So i wanted to test IR mode so i took off my lights early one morning and all video started to go crazy and even no video on some of the cameras but once daylight conditions came , all cameras work perfectly. Was informed that it could be a power issue so i replaced my power supply with a higher rating one, same problem. I tired replacing baluns, same problem. All connections inside and outside ok. I can’t see all the cat5 cable being an issue and i’m at the point questioning all the cameras. So I’m at the point where i may just bring each camera inside and connect directly to dvr and test. Keep in mind all these problems are just seen in night mode. Voltage at each camera approx. 12.5vdc in either mode. Current is >400ma but < 1a in either mode. Anyone have had any similar experience?

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » January 30th, 2021, 9:03 am

eitech wrote:Trying to solve a problem i have goin on awhile now with my hikvision 6 camera system. This all started with my hard drive failing. For what ever reason, the hdd works in a regular pc and not dvr. I tried a regular hdd in the dvr and it works. So i bought the correct surveillance hdd add reinstalled, np. Hdd was detected. While reinstalling the dvr into the shelf all video goes crazy. Im thinking maybe slack wires so i checked all. I did find some slack and fixed all. I even used ferrule logs. Video quality eventually stabilized. So i wanted to test IR mode so i took off my lights early one morning and all video started to go crazy and even no video on some of the cameras but once daylight conditions came , all cameras work perfectly. Was informed that it could be a power issue so i replaced my power supply with a higher rating one, same problem. I tired replacing baluns, same problem. All connections inside and outside ok. I can’t see all the cat5 cable being an issue and i’m at the point questioning all the cameras. So I’m at the point where i may just bring each camera inside and connect directly to dvr and test. Keep in mind all these problems are just seen in night mode. Voltage at each camera approx. 12.5vdc in either mode. Current is >400ma but < 1a in either mode. Anyone have had any similar experience?

Baluns & CAT5? For real? That's what you using? I know plenty ppl use them, and a lot of ppl get problems with them. I suspect that's your problem right there.

This sounding like a power issue, like there's a short somewhere on your lines and also like your power supply can't provide enough juice in IR mode, probably because of power leakage/loss at the point of the short or the degraded condition of the cables.
Taking them all down at once & connecting them all directly to the dvr you most likely won't see the problem, but you shouldn't have to go thru all that to find the line that's causing the issue. Here's a way to test.
During the day, you can get a few foam cups, poke a small hole in the middle of the bottom of each and put them over each camera to trigger the IR mode to stay on. When you go to the monitor, you should see all the white spots of light coming thru the hole in each cup.
If you don't see the dot of light in any, disconnect only the power from each camera, one at a time, till you do see the light on the others. If all the others start working normally when you disconnect any one of them, that line has s problem & needs changing.

hope you gt.

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » January 30th, 2021, 10:14 am

88sins wrote:
eitech wrote:Trying to solve a problem i have goin on awhile now with my hikvision 6 camera system. This all started with my hard drive failing. For what ever reason, the hdd works in a regular pc and not dvr. I tried a regular hdd in the dvr and it works. So i bought the correct surveillance hdd add reinstalled, np. Hdd was detected. While reinstalling the dvr into the shelf all video goes crazy. Im thinking maybe slack wires so i checked all. I did find some slack and fixed all. I even used ferrule logs. Video quality eventually stabilized. So i wanted to test IR mode so i took off my lights early one morning and all video started to go crazy and even no video on some of the cameras but once daylight conditions came , all cameras work perfectly. Was informed that it could be a power issue so i replaced my power supply with a higher rating one, same problem. I tired replacing baluns, same problem. All connections inside and outside ok. I can’t see all the cat5 cable being an issue and i’m at the point questioning all the cameras. So I’m at the point where i may just bring each camera inside and connect directly to dvr and test. Keep in mind all these problems are just seen in night mode. Voltage at each camera approx. 12.5vdc in either mode. Current is >400ma but < 1a in either mode. Anyone have had any similar experience?

Baluns & CAT5? For real? That's what you using? I know plenty ppl use them, and a lot of ppl get problems with them. I suspect that's your problem right there.

This sounding like a power issue, like there's a short somewhere on your lines and also like your power supply can't provide enough juice in IR mode, probably because of power leakage/loss at the point of the short or the degraded condition of the cables.
Taking them all down at once & connecting them all directly to the dvr you most likely won't see the problem, but you shouldn't have to go thru all that to find the line that's causing the issue. Here's a way to test.
During the day, you can get a few foam cups, poke a small hole in the middle of the bottom of each and put them over each camera to trigger the IR mode to stay on. When you go to the monitor, you should see all the white spots of light coming thru the hole in each cup.
If you don't see the dot of light in any, disconnect only the power from each camera, one at a time, till you do see the light on the others. If all the others start working normally when you disconnect any one of them, that line has s problem & needs changing.

hope you gt.

I have had the system for two years and it was working fine and all i did was remove the dvr to replace the hard drive. One thing i did too was power each camera one by one in ir mode. 4 of them came up good while one had really bright white light and the other had no video. So i decided to power on all the good ones one at a time however any two good ones powered on and the video degrades
The original power supply was 12v 5a. I changed it to 12v 8a.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » January 30th, 2021, 10:45 am

yup, that's probably the cables. they need to change.
people don't realize that CAT5 cables were never really made to do this, they were just repurposed. they will work, not saying otherwise, but eventually the copper wires in them degrade or even break and then that causes all kinda problems because they can't carry power efficiently.
you can get good quality ready made siamese cables relatively cheap these days.

https://www.amazon.com/ZOSI-100FT-Secur ... nce&sr=1-4

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » January 30th, 2021, 1:20 pm

88sins wrote:yup, that's probably the cables. they need to change.
people don't realize that CAT5 cables were never really made to do this, they were just repurposed. they will work, not saying otherwise, but eventually the copper wires in them degrade or even break and then that causes all kinda problems because they can't carry power efficiently.

I brought two inside and made up the cables to the dvr. Night mode and they are showing good

cornfused
30 pounds of Boost

Postby cornfused » January 31st, 2021, 10:07 am

I have both coax and CAT 5 in my present installation.

Both Cables need to be protected conduit if going outside. Even in the ceiling.

Cameras same resolution is the image is the same among both cables 4 on CAT 5 and 4 on COAX with BNC

COAX can transmit over video 250 ft same as CAT 5 video, CAT 6 can transmit video to 350 ft

When we installed the COAX with the BNC my panda advised that we heat sleave the connections.

The pro installation with CAT 5 was neater than my Coax

COAX seems to be expensive and bulky

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » February 1st, 2021, 6:31 am

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » February 6th, 2021, 8:11 pm

Guys looking to do a home install with about 10 cameras

Depending on your answers It will either be ubiquiti or hikvision

Must I use a hikvision nvr when using their cameras or can I use a windows setup with Ivms to handle the recording and streaming

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » February 7th, 2021, 6:43 am

For easier setup, particularly for the remote recording and streaming aspect of it, I suggest that you go with hik.
You don't have to use hik cameras with their dvr.

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » February 7th, 2021, 1:33 pm

Was planning to use a windows pc as the NVR is that possible with hik?

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » February 8th, 2021, 9:38 am

src1983 wrote:Was planning to use a windows pc as the NVR is that possible with hik?

it's doable, but it go be a hassle.
exactly what's the end objective you looking for? remote viewing & storage of footage? just worried about if sumn happens & someone leaves with the recorder and all the video?

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » February 8th, 2021, 1:37 pm

In my experience NVRs are slow and buggy, I am hoping to use my cpu and NAS storage to run the VMS as I already have a PoE switch

I would like to be able to

- Remote view
- Configure
- NAS storage

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » February 15th, 2021, 7:09 pm

eitech wrote:
88sins wrote:yup, that's probably the cables. they need to change.

I brought two inside and made up the cables to the dvr. Night mode and they are showing good

Well after this test i was certain the problem was the cables. I ordered them from amazon. I hooked up one during the day but the video quality was actually worse that the cat5e during the day. Jus a few lines on the video all over then screen.
So i bought a camera this evening and having the same issue dammit with a new camera.

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » February 15th, 2021, 9:43 pm

Eitech check pm

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » February 15th, 2021, 10:26 pm

88sins wrote:
src1983 wrote:Was planning to use a windows pc as the NVR is that possible with hik?

exactly what's the end objective you looking for? remote viewing & storage of footage? just worried about if sumn happens & someone leaves with the recorder and all the video?

exactly as i thinking, i have a camera to setup myself - it can take a microSD but if the thief goes with it u need an offsite copy in the cloud - anyone know a good affordable cloud service suitable for video footage?

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » February 16th, 2021, 11:02 am

redmanjp wrote:
88sins wrote:

exactly as i thinking, i have a camera to setup myself - it can take a microSD but if the thief goes with it u need an offsite copy in the cloud - anyone know a good affordable cloud service suitable for video footage?

not really, that's what ceilings ae for.
The trick is to have no wires/cables visible and within easy reach, and have your dvr and its power source concealed. Can't steal it if they can't see it & it not within reach.
Then do like everyone else, view or dl the footage on your phone.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » February 16th, 2021, 4:53 pm

Not sure if the right thread for this.QSee went out of business .If you find that you can't see your feed from the app all of a sudden, there's a guide in qsee's website to get it to work

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”