Help urgently: tucson

Creta, Elantra, Santa Fe, Accent, Tuscon, Veloster, Sonata, i30

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

SyrianAli
Riding on 13's

Help urgently: tucson

Postby SyrianAli » January 10th, 2018, 1:33 pm

Recently bought a tucson....(gas engine, 2004-06) model

Engine had a knocking sound, a mech checked and told me the head gasket blow...

I checked several mechanics, and their prices to change it was very wide apart

Labour only was between 700 , 900, 1200, 1500, 2000, 2500, 2800 straight to 3000....

Confused bout the big difference for the same job....

Note* i didnt choose ne1 yet cuz i want someone who i know surely know to fix said vehicle ,has experience or worked on one before.....

Can someone please recommend some mechanics here .......thank you in advance.

racedriverpro
punchin NOS

Re: Help urgently: tucson

Postby racedriverpro » January 10th, 2018, 8:18 pm

Important further questions to ask

1. How did they confirm it's the head gasket from the knocking sound or did they do further checks/tests.

2. What parts need to change other than obviously head gasket and would they be using original parts. To give an idea of the workload that they are taking on to either do the job properly or rip you off.

3. Would their be any guarantee than the problem wouldn't re occur

4. Would the head and or block need machining? If they say no up front... eliminate from list forthwith. If they say that they would have to send to machine shop to check condition of mating surfaces and machine accordingly that's a good sign that they trying to do the job the way it is suppose to be done.

5. Timeframe to do the job. Always scope the condition of the garage u visit, tools available and general operations and employee work attitude and ethic.

If not satisfied after asking these questions try and source a head and block. I know it's difficult to do so for the car in question that's why am saying this last. Head gasket failure can re occur especially if the repair is not done right. This is usually the case with the quality of work available from most Machine Shops in TRINIDAD.

SyrianAli
Riding on 13's

Postby SyrianAli » January 11th, 2018, 9:09 am

racedriverpro wrote:Important further questions to ask

1. How did they confirm it's the head gasket from the knocking sound or did they do further checks/tests.

2. What parts need to change other than obviously head gasket and would they be using original parts. To give an idea of the workload that they are taking on to either do the job properly or rip you off.

4. Would the head and or block need machining? If they say no up front... eliminate from list forthwith. If they say that they would have to send to machine shop to check condition of mating surfaces and machine accordingly that's a good sign that they trying to do the job the way it is suppose to be done.

5. Timeframe to do the job. Always scope the condition of the garage u visit, tools available and general operations and employee work attitude and ethic.

If not satisfied after asking these questions try and source a head and block. I know it's difficult to do so for the car in question that's why am saying this last. Head gasket failure can re occur especially if the repair is not done right. This is usually the case with the quality of work available from most Machine Shops in TRINIDAD.
Thanks for the reply .... i already checked on these things.....

The prices i have quoted is labour ONLY.....

Everything else i have to do including pay machine shop, buy all parts etc.....

What im really asking is if anyone knows any mechanic that work on this type of vehicle.....

I want to choose someone who knows to do the work than who will mess it up....

So i have all the price quotes etc hoping ppl on this forum who maybe ever change a gasket on these can recommend to me

Thanks again.....

racedriverpro
punchin NOS

Postby racedriverpro » January 11th, 2018, 9:52 am

SyrianAli wrote:
racedriverpro wrote:Important further questions to ask

Thanks for the reply .... i already checked on these things.....

The prices i have quoted is labour ONLY.....

Everything else i have to do including pay machine shop, buy all parts etc.....

What im really asking is if anyone knows any mechanic that work on this type of vehicle.....

I want to choose someone who knows to do the work than who will mess it up....

So i have all the price quotes etc hoping ppl on this forum who maybe ever change a gasket on these can recommend to me

Thanks again.....
If I were you I would talk to those guys in the KIA Sportage thread.

SyrianAli
Riding on 13's

Postby SyrianAli » January 11th, 2018, 11:14 am

Ok thanks

Krystal Car Part Imports
Sweet on this forum

Postby Krystal Car Part Imports » March 22nd, 2018, 10:30 am

All dem mechanic in this country is a bunch of frauds. More concerned about money than doing a good job. Only one way to check a blown head gasket. Bubbles in your expansion tank or oil mixing with water turning your engine oil nice and milky. A head job is about $1000. Max labour . My mechanic does head jobs in a day (excluding machine shop)

Advertisement

Return to “HYUNDAI”