ABS Wheel speed sensor failure

Sportage, Sorento, Soul, Rio, Cerato, Optima

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Henfracar
Street 2NR

ABS Wheel speed sensor failure

Postby Henfracar » May 12th, 2019, 2:08 pm

Guys,
My 2011 Sporty's ABS light is on after rear suspension repairs by my local mechanic.
He says the speed sensor on the right rear wheel needs to be renewed.
A second garage's scanner reports an "open or failed sensor", but says it could be a failed wheel bearing etc, which I doubt since the first mech was instructed to repair whatever needed to be done at the same time.
Does anyone have or can point me to anyone else who has the expertise to correctly diagnose/repair the problem, other than SSL that is?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: ABS Wheel speed sensor failure

Postby adnj » May 12th, 2019, 5:02 pm

That fault could very well be that the first mechanic did not properly make the wiring harness connection to the sensor for your ABS.

Hall Effect sensors used for ABS wheel speed input simply do not fail often. In my experience, problems were nearly always attributable to broken or corroded connection pins, broken wires or the connector was not properly mated.

Henfracar
Street 2NR

Postby Henfracar » May 12th, 2019, 9:41 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs9k8xm3rQc
After looking at the above and others on utube, I sincerely believe the first mech probably damaged the wiring to the sensor when changing the bushings on that wheel, as could happen if the wiring carried the weight of the hub before the mech realised his mistake in not disconnecting/removing the sensor before. JMHO
If the wiring is broken it can be repaired, just need someone who can do the job. The first mech's OBD scanner does not cover my 2011 model, so no use wasting time there.

Henfracar
Street 2NR

Postby Henfracar » May 12th, 2019, 9:44 pm

But thanks for your input, will check that connector before proceeding.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » May 12th, 2019, 10:03 pm

You can check integrity of the wiring by looking at continuity with a pin probe and a VOM.

Advertisement

Return to “KIA”