Forums

2014 diesel Sorento losing oil

Sportage, Sorento, Soul, Rio, Cerato, Optima

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

rayj
Street 2NR

2014 diesel Sorento losing oil

Postby rayj » September 9th, 2018, 11:36 pm

Hi.... I'm seeking some advice wrt a 2014 Sorento - diesel. This is what's going on:

- It began with the vehicle shutting down, after the oil light came on, whilst slowly climbing a hill.
- No apparent oil leaks apparent outside.
- Re-started; no oil light; vehicle cut of seconds after driving off- again oil light came on.
- Also, note: engine idle sounds different now, with a clearly discernible clack-clack-clacking sorta noise.
- Mechanic called in on site. Lotsa oil added: about 1 gal, I'd say.
- Mechanic drove off to his shop to service - basic service, plus removing sump pan (???) & servicing. Again, no external leaks observed.
- Given back vehicle. No smoking observed when driving or idling. Still has clacking noise.
- Oil down by 1.5 qt after just over 600 km
- Still no leaks observed.
- Opened oil cap with engine running (as per YouTube) and seeing faint blue fumes.
- One morning before work, about a week after getting back car from mechanic, significant blue smoke observed after starting and idling, with even more smoke observed after driving off. This apparently subsided after a while of driving. The only other difference that morning was that I as parked, front forward, on a slight incline.
- Kicked down a little last night while heading home and saw a lot of smoke (I'm guessing, blue) in my rear view. Almost immediately came off the accelerator and smoke stopped.
- Also worrying, is that I've noticed that the vehicle is taking a few cranks before it starts.... as if the battery's low; but the battery was bought only a few months ago and the vehicle was starting fine prior to this problem.

I've been going thru the "2008 Sportage diesel" thread and some of the issues there seem to reflect what I'm going thru but I decided to raise a new thread specifically mentioning the Sorento in the Subject Line, if only to possibly help future searches for novices like myself. In checking out a UK forum, I was thinking along similar lines as "Joshie23" (in that thread) wrt leakage from the injector gasket.... but its that clacking noise that has me wondering if I'm going down the wrong line.... or maybe I have a compounded problem???

The vehicle is being driven sparingly whilst I decide how to proceed.... can't believe this is happening with a vehicle barely 4 years old, being serviced on time and still being paid for.... :cry:

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Re: 2014 diesel Sorento losing oil

Postby kamakazi » September 10th, 2018, 12:56 am

Can you explain in more detail what you mean by servicing on time. 5000, 10000 or 20000kms intervals? What mileage does the vehicle have? What oil was used?

Could be the engine burnt of most of the oil leaving not much to lubricate the engine and without lubrication the engine slowly ate itself

rayj
Street 2NR

Postby rayj » September 10th, 2018, 10:33 pm

The vehicle has 75K on it.... The service intervals were as per the manual.... which I think was at 1K, then 5K the 10K thereafter, using 5W-40 oil... Mobile , I think.

Re: "slowly eat itself" - sounds maybe, but I don't think so, since I think these cars shut down when low oil pressure is sensed.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » September 10th, 2018, 11:28 pm

Now I wouldn't personally test the theory... What I do know is usually if you can see an oil pressure light when the engine is running... It is already too late and some damage would have occurred; and if your vehicle now needs 1.5 quarts every 600kms I would say something is damaged.

So the vehicle was serviced roughly every 5000 kms up to this point... Something doesn't add up.
Somewhere along the line somebody cut a corner...

Hope you get through

rayj
Street 2NR

Postby rayj » September 11th, 2018, 5:53 pm

Errr.... maybe I did not explain it properly - it was only the day it shutdown for that an oil light came on and oil had to be added ...and serviced every 10,000 km.
You're right though, something doesn't add up.
Leaving it parked up for now; until I can get some more time to look into it.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 11th, 2018, 6:19 pm

If there is no leak and you are loosing oil it is either being burnt or being pushed into the cooling system.

Blue smoke indicates oil being burned.

If the oil light came on while the engine is running and the oil level is at full, you either have a faulty oil pressure sensor system (wire, sender or connection), faulty oil pump or a pressure drop due to a leak.

Clacking is possibly insufficient oil to the valve train.

The battery seeming as if it is run down may be from the ignition switch staying on or multiple starts during servicing.

Loss of power can be a faulty piston ring.

Open your radiator cap and look for an engine oil residue.

Use a gauge to check each cylinder's compression.

Check the engine oil pressure.

Check you battery voltage and charge it to resting votage of about 13.0+ volts.

rayj
Street 2NR

Postby rayj » September 12th, 2018, 7:30 am

adnj wrote:If there is no leak and you are loosing oil it is either being burnt or being pushed into the cooling system.

Blue smoke indicates oil being burned. - Yup

If the oil light came on while the engine is running and the oil level is at full, you either have a faulty oil pressure sensor system (wire, sender or connection), faulty oil pump or a pressure drop due to a leak. - Nope, this is not what's happening. Oil indication is normal.

Clacking is possibly insufficient oil to the valve train. - Ahhhh! so, even with the oil topped up, if this is still happening, what may lead to that?

The battery seeming as if it is run down may be from the ignition switch staying on or multiple starts during servicing.

Loss of power can be a faulty piston ring. - Will a compression test reveal that?

Open your radiator cap and look for an engine oil residue. - Did that; and there appears to be none.

Use a gauge to check each cylinder's compression. - Actually waiting on someone to facilitate.

Check the engine oil pressure. - How's that done... other than the dashboard indication?

Check you battery voltage and charge it to resting votage of about 13.0+ volts. - battery checks fine.

Thanks for the suggestions!

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 12th, 2018, 8:35 am

A compression test will indicate a leaking piston ring or valve that does not seat properly.

Carbon deposits from too much oil or fuel can cause partially open valves that clack or cause a loss of power.

Clacking can also be valve lash if your valves don't self adjust. Try to pinpoint the problem with a mechanic's stethoscope.

Diesels may clack because of misfires attributable to low compression from a valve or ring problem.

To check oil pressure, the proper gauge is fitted to the oil line.

Look for scored cylinder walls and carbon deposits with a borescope while doing the compression test.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » September 12th, 2018, 12:11 pm

rayj wrote:Errr.... maybe I did not explain it properly - it was only the day it shutdown for that an oil light came on and oil had to be added ...and serviced every 10,000 km.
You're right though, something doesn't add up.
Leaving it parked up for now; until I can get some more time to look into it.
Maybe I didn't explain myself clearly... Just because the oil pressure light stays off doesn't mean that all the components in an engine that need oil are getting. If that light comes on when the engine is running it is usually too late. It needed oil way before that light came on.

All the tests mentioned above are good for checking the engine but I suspect that the damage is done.

rayj
Street 2NR

Postby rayj » September 12th, 2018, 11:54 pm

Just because the oil pressure light stays off doesn't mean that all the components in an engine that need oil are getting. If that light comes on when the engine is running it is usually too late. It needed oil way before that light came on.

Okay... I hear you. Yes, I get that.

@adnj @kamakazi: Thanks people.... you've given a me a better understanding of what may be happening. Alas, I'm afraid I was in denial and must now accept that some damage has been done already. When I get some verification of what's the extent of the damage, I'll post it up.

rayj
Street 2NR

Postby rayj » January 2nd, 2019, 1:49 pm

So.... just in case anyone was still interested....

I finally got back the vehicle a few weeks ago. Getting the parts was the main issue. The ring-sets for the pistons were particularly difficult. Anyways, some damage was done. Apparently a fouled scraper ring (did I get that right?) on one piston caused it, AND some piston scorching. Re-sleeved and still breaking it out; but to me: so far so good, engine-wise.

Since that time I've been hearing that mine is not as uncommon as I thought.... apparently there's been a number of similar complaints and disgruntled owners.

ADONI
18 pounds of Boost

Postby ADONI » January 4th, 2019, 10:07 am

Yea OP, Hyundai/Kia diesel is real love it need....

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » April 26th, 2019, 2:01 pm

know someone who recently got a quote for $146,000 to rebuild the diesel Sorento engine from the dealer..... MADNESS

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » April 27th, 2019, 7:16 pm

rayj wrote:So.... just in case anyone was still interested....

I finally got back the vehicle a few weeks ago. Getting the parts was the main issue. The ring-sets for the pistons were particularly difficult. Anyways, some damage was done. Apparently a fouled scraper ring (did I get that right?) on one piston caused it, AND some piston scorching. Re-sleeved and still breaking it out; but to me: so far so good, engine-wise.

Since that time I've been hearing that mine is not as uncommon as I thought.... apparently there's been a number of similar complaints and disgruntled owners.
Not to be a burden... Did anyone identify the root cause of the problem i.e. what caused the ring to stick or why it was stuck.... Cause there is a chance that the same problem can reoccur even after it is fixed.

Glad to hear you got it fixed... I know you don't want a repeat

rayj
Street 2NR

Postby rayj » May 20th, 2019, 8:34 am

Ben_spanna wrote:know someone who recently got a quote for $146,000 to rebuild the diesel Sorento engine from the dealer..... MADNESS

....and madness is the nice way of putting it
Last edited by rayj on May 20th, 2019, 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

rayj
Street 2NR

Postby rayj » May 20th, 2019, 8:47 am

kamakazi wrote:Not to be a burden... Did anyone identify the root cause of the problem i.e. what caused the ring to stick or why it was stuck.... Cause there is a chance that the same problem can reoccur even after it is fixed.

Glad to hear you got it fixed... I know you don't want a repeat

No burden... its what these forums are for :) ...but unfortunately, no definite root cause, only speculation that it may have been due suspect servicing then subsequent low oil causing more-concentrated gunk/sediment to circulate... Man, you don't know how much I've wondered about possible re-occurrence.

Advertisement

Return to “KIA”