Forums

Gear shifter on 2011 Sportage not going to Park and releasing ignition key

Sportage, Sorento, Soul, Rio, Cerato, Optima

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Henfracar
Street 2NR

Gear shifter on 2011 Sportage not going to Park and releasing ignition key

Postby Henfracar » September 28th, 2016, 7:38 pm

Help! My 2011 Sportage gear shifter will not go into the Park position and release the ignition key. Checked all fuses OK. Shift Lock Release not helping either. Operates normal with all other gear positions selectable.
:(

Henfracar
Street 2NR

Re: Gear shifter on 2011 Sportage not going to Park and releasing ignition key

Postby Henfracar » September 28th, 2016, 11:05 pm

Thanks for the advice, will try that in the a.m; but a computer diagnostic showed no problems whatsoever, neither with the brake switch nor the solenoid.

Henfracar
Street 2NR

Postby Henfracar » September 29th, 2016, 7:42 am

No Joy, Nick369; we also checked that the brake switch worked repeatedly; that is the brake lights came on eavery time.
Is it possible that there is a mechanical fault in the gear shifter knob push-button? It's not depressing fully IMHO. Has any one changed their shift knob? How do you get it off.

Henfracar
Street 2NR

Postby Henfracar » September 29th, 2016, 12:47 pm

nick639 wrote:Well i not sure about tge sportage but the cable that controls the shift push button sticked in my wingroad with same symptoms as you...I opened the console and sprayed and rubbed the cable with some sand paper and that helped

I spoke to Ganesh, SS mechanic, got his info from another thread here and will be trying my luck with SS POS this time. Will post the results later. Thanks for your assistance anyway.

Henfracar
Street 2NR

Postby Henfracar » October 2nd, 2016, 6:03 pm

Henfracar wrote:
nick639 wrote:Well i not sure about the sportage but the cable that controls the shift push button sticked in my wingroad with same symptoms as you...I opened the console and sprayed and rubbed the cable with some sand paper and that helped

I spoke to Ganesh, SS mechanic, got his info from another thread here and will be trying my luck with SS POS this time. Will post the results later. Thanks for your assistance anyway.

So this other SS mechanic Ganesh put me on to in POS (didn't get his name) just yanked hard on the shifter knob, pulling it with the boot from the centre console.
He opens the top part of the knob and removes the push button, a spring inside and two chrome metal bits (seems to have broken off the push button itself) which was blocking the button from being fully depressed; and wallah all is well.
Hope this helps someone else with the problem.

Advertisement

Return to “KIA”