TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Tyre And Rim Size Question

Plan out, organise and post pics and vids of your OFF-ROAD adventures. Clubs, crews and associations are welcomed!

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

olewhip
3NE 2NR for life

Tyre And Rim Size Question

Postby olewhip » January 20th, 2012, 8:57 am

hey guys, i would like to join you all one day on an offroad run.
but there are some stuff i need to get done, like change my rim and tyres, check my 4x4 to make sure it's working properly.
First question- is there a specific size rim needed in orded for the allterrain tyres to fit?
- how much will it cost (average)

Bear in mind that the vehicle is a pajero, don't know much about offset and spacing or all terms when it comes to rims, Rims can be used but in good condition, i will prefer new tyres, no bulky look (has to fit nicely) and i always liked the monster truck look i.e. small full chrome rim and big tyres.

thank you and hope to get this done so i can join in the fun.

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Re: Tyre And Rim Size Question

Postby lighthammer » January 21st, 2012, 10:21 am

yo dude,

FIrst of all, there's no shame in asking questions - we're all here to learn and share so daiz no scene at all!

Most folks usually start off with a stock-sized rim/tyre combo. Currently I'm running 16" stock navara rims and 265/70R16 BF Goodrich All-Terrains. Lots of other guys run a very similar size combination in other brands too and it generally works well on most types of terrain except for stick/slippery mud (good for trails, gravel, sand, light mud).

If you want to get into the Mud-Terrain territory now, you can still run stock-sized Mud Terrain tyres (one of our guys has a ranger and he has Kumho KL71 Mud Terrains in 255/70R15, I believe) and you can run through most of the trals we go on with little difficulty (most of the trails).

But you can definitely go with the smaller, 15" rim and larger tyres, eg. 32x10R15 and what you're really gaining is height-clearance on the axles (since a taller tyre give you more clearance).
However, you may need to install a lift-kit in order to have enough clearance for those tyres in your wheel-wells. The most basic thing you can do is a body-lift (using taller blocks on each mounting point between the body & chassis) and you can go up to 3" max (without having to modify certain things). Suspension is also a good thing to lift.... but all of this lifting-business is another story.

Either way, if you decide to stay stock-sized, or larger muds +/- a lift-kit, it comes down to mostly your budget and what your driving aims are.

olewhip
3NE 2NR for life

Postby olewhip » January 21st, 2012, 11:43 am

Thanks for the reply, don't want to modify or change any part of the suspension as it is also my daily vehicle.
when i go offroading i'll change the rim and tyres and change them back when i'm done.
So i guess it is jus to make "lil" runs with you experienced guys.
will know my budget by month end so that's why i'm lookin at options.
as a note the pajero has 20" rims that's why i have to buy rims also

droppa
punchin NOS

Postby droppa » January 21st, 2012, 5:08 pm

the budget is the first variable into the equation....

it all depends on how much u can spend!

if ur running 20s, say 265/45
some 31X10.5 on 15" wheels will be best, they will be about exact in size

the 20s are 29.39"
and the 31s will be 30.98"

a tuner called jpec has a great deal on some 8" wide steel rims and some 1" spacers, u can mount the spacers and leave them there and jus swap rims when u need to...

or u can get a great deal on new or even used rim and tires by Dean wheels in Diego martin

but dont be shy cause two of our guys already came on runs with big rims, one one 24s and the other on 20s...

olewhip
3NE 2NR for life

Postby olewhip » January 22nd, 2012, 4:30 am

ok, i have decided that i'll join you guys on the next easiest run (hopin i don't have to work that day), with the tyres i have on right now.
Then judging by if i like it, i'll decide if to change the rims and tyres to mud or allterrain.
But there are some rims and tyres i really like will take pics later and post it, if i can get those, it'll be awesome lol.

olewhip
3NE 2NR for life

Postby olewhip » January 22nd, 2012, 4:38 am

Ohh shucks, i now remember i have 4, 15' rims
hope it still there in the back
Something like this

will those work?

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » January 22nd, 2012, 11:18 am

yup yup!

Just measure the distance between front & back lip and then you can fit the tyre accordingly.

Eg. a 15x8 rim can hold up to an 11.5" wide tyre (approx a 295 width).

*Phoenix*
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby *Phoenix* » January 25th, 2012, 7:37 am

Hey Leo.. 15x8 can take a 12.5" tyre... ;)

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » January 25th, 2012, 9:17 am

lol yes, it can.. as we discovered yesterday :)

droppa
punchin NOS

Postby droppa » January 25th, 2012, 9:31 am

bfg recommends a 8,5" min for the 33X12.5

the tyre will measure 12.5 on a 10"

when u put wider tires on narrower rims, the tend to "crown" and wear uneven at the centre beads, the tire pressure has to be regulated often to correct the wear patterns........

*Phoenix*
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby *Phoenix* » January 27th, 2012, 8:24 am

And now you tell me... LOL

*Phoenix*
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby *Phoenix* » January 27th, 2012, 8:29 am

But I gotta tell yah that all the research i did said that the 33x12.5 will fit on an 8" wheel and it is actually recommended.

droppa
punchin NOS

Postby droppa » January 27th, 2012, 9:22 am

3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 3stagevtec » January 31st, 2012, 11:56 am

olewhip wrote:ok, i have decided that i'll join you guys on the next easiest run (hopin i don't have to work that day), with the tyres i have on right now.
Then judging by if i like it, i'll decide if to change the rims and tyres to mud or allterrain.
But there are some rims and tyres i really like will take pics later and post it, if i can get those, it'll be awesome lol.

You are gonna like it!

Since you will be purchasing a dedicated set of off road tyres, then go straight for the mud terrains as they will work best in all off road situations.

All terrains is a compromise between on and off road driving performance. It sacrifices some off road performance to maintain a decent on road ride..

Dr. RF
Chronic 2NR

Postby Dr. RF » April 24th, 2012, 11:13 am

hey, i have an old model suzuki jimny and i want to make it an off road project but i dont know where to start or who to check, thinking of a lift kit with some big tyres and maybe installing a roll cage and chopping off the hood, it's not for the public roads, just for some hilly agricultural land with some ponds to drive around and have fun, any info on prices of recommended tyres and rims, lift kits , snorkel, and ppl who could build a roll cage would be very helpful.
thanks

.z.
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby .z. » April 25th, 2012, 8:04 am

u can call me

Z

374-6263

Advertisement

Return to “Off Road Runs”