Respond to rear ae86 ke70 coilover mods

Official Drifting Forum

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

CrazeCon
Riding on 13's

Postby CrazeCon » December 9th, 2008, 8:33 pm

Greeting all

Its about time i give back. I have been doing alot of work on my ke jus for the sport of drifting and i have gain a fair amount of knowledge so i am here to share on what i have done on my car.

Well lets get started here is what you need to start:

-Car jack
-2 Jack stands
-Ratchet with a 6" extension
-14mm socket
-14mm wrench
-3/16" hex wrench
-Rubber mallet
-Hammer or dead blow hammer
-And, of course, the coilovers.

What i did was purchased a ae86 coilover kit from TSC he has them in stock.

Coilover kit contents

and well the strut itself.

Now you would get the struts looking like the red struts but you would have to get them in the state of the green trd's.

Now what you would have to do is remove the shield this can be either done by having fun with the hammer and knock it until it comes loose or you can cut it off. Do not place too much heat on the shaft.

When you get it off you then put the peices together and you would have tadda lol

You would also have to use a spacer which would be made of a peice of 1" pipe which should be about 2" in hight.

the washer is the silver pipeing you see in the pic.

Now this is where you get intermit with your car where the painfu... errr... fun part begins. Originally, only a skinny little shock was supposed to go up through this area, so there's not quite enough room for a beefy coilover. So, we're going to pound back the chassis' sheet metal a bit to allow enough room for the coilover to get up there at the correct angle.

Preferrably, use a dead blow hammer (a regular one will suffice, but damage the paint and expose raw metal) and pound back the highlighted area about 1/8" to 1/4". This will create enough clearance for the new coilover. Periodically, put the coilover up into the hole up top to see if it will connect with the lower shock mount without hitting the chassis.

This part took the most time. I pounded on it for about 15-20 minutes, stopping every once in a while to check for fitment. I only had a small hammer, so it took quite a lot of work. A bigger hammer would be more effective.

now i haven't done it yet but i want to get a lock made i dont trust the 3 nuts lol the lock would looking something like this:

The lock is the black part which the sleves rest on.

You are doing this that your own risk i would not take responsibility or any injuries that occur. jus kidding do it right nothing should happen have fun. NOT Responsible at all thats me.

Tsuchiya
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Tsuchiya » December 10th, 2008, 1:46 am

Nice job...i bought my set of springs from him as well.
I was gonna do the rear coilover as well but i thought, how many times am I really going to adjust the car's height...2 times realistically. And for the price many of the kits were selling for, I didn't see it worth the trade-off.

I had some thoughts about this and was kinda conernced becuz the weight of the entire rear end of the car sits on those 2 small shock bolts that are bolted to the rear end.
but after doing some research, i haven't gotten any feedback about those bolts or mounting point failing even after the car is subjected to curb jumps from a jumping drift.

But u have me thinkin again...

CrazeCon
Riding on 13's

Postby CrazeCon » December 10th, 2008, 8:39 am

Yeah i was checking the issue of pressure points and from feed back i got from ppl. They said none of the points ever broke. So i thinking i am going and do it. i have coil overs infront and the hight i want is lower than it is now i am trying to get this look.

and i dont want to cut springs. In order for these guys to ge this hight they use cut falcon springs in the rear.(remember that big ole ford car lol)
and the front is coil overs or seomtimes even cut springs

gready123456
Sweet on this forum

Re: Respond to rear ae86 ke70 coilover mods

Postby gready123456 » March 1st, 2011, 9:12 pm

ok so u telling me that the sleeves on the rear shock are supported by that lock alone ? do u have to machine the shock to have a cir clip installed under the Lock ??? looks hummm looks a
what about the front did u have to get ae86 strut and cut the spindles off and have them welded to coilover kit ?? or did u buy the kit with the spindles ???

i am looking changing the reared to something a bit more tuff may be a hilux rear end so this mod looks very good as i wont have fabricate something to use the stock mounting points for the spring ,i can just do one for the coil over ........ but i need to see how that sleeve is supported on the rear shock first .
Last edited by gready123456 on March 5th, 2011, 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gready123456
Sweet on this forum

Re: Respond to rear ae86 ke70 coilover mods

Postby gready123456 » March 1st, 2011, 10:05 pm

ok i am a bit confused as the magen racing kit looks like this

at first i was looking at the kit and thought that it would eliminate having the spring mounted separately from the shock but after future investigation i saw this below

now that shows the magen kit use with stock mounting points for the shock and the spring .

was the rear kit different from what was shown above ??

ANY WAY i will do some more research if i replace the rear end i might just have to fabricate the tock spring perch points on the rear end hummm

Kambiany
Riding on 13's

Postby Kambiany » August 13th, 2019, 6:37 pm

Im running pedders XA as well and they are easy to adjust I think mine are set to 23-25 / 30 dampners I like mine nice and stiff

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk 2

When you liked this article and also you would like to receive more details about How does an ace work in blackjack i implore you to stop by our own web page

Advertisement

Return to “TTDA - T&T Drift Association”