Forums

Want to learn how to drift?

Official Drifting Forum

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Tsuchiya
3NE 2NR Moderator

Want to learn how to drift?

Postby Tsuchiya » November 2nd, 2007, 2:58 pm

How to drift? This is a small write up of learning to drift based on Nobutero Taniguchi's and Manabu Orido's words and techniques. Unfortunatley the videos and in Japanese but you'll get the gist of it.

Step 1: 360 degree or 'donuts'
Hit the gas to start spinning the rear tires, then be aware of the steering as it typically turns in the opposite direction of the spin. Don't use too much steering in initiating the drift because as beginners, you will lose track of the direction of the steering as it spins.Work the gas pedal and the steering as needed to keep the car spinning around a point. More throttle will give you more angle but will make the car spinout easier and faster. Less throttle gives you less angle and more control, also it will be easier to drop out of the engine's powerband which will cancel the drift. So you'll have to modulate between the 2 for the best results.
<object width="425" height="366"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vy7zANjiJJw&rel=1&border=0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vy7zANjiJJw&rel=1&border=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="366"></embed></object>

Step 2: Larger 360's or 'donuts'
Increase the size of the 360's to help perfect your throttle modulation.
With your traffic cones (or whatever you have at your disposal) opened to a larger circle, adjust your stering and throttle to keep the car sliding in a wider arc.
<object width="425" height="366"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FYpGbrYPSwk&rel=1&border=0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FYpGbrYPSwk&rel=1&border=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="366"></embed></object>

Step 3: Figure Eights
With 360 turns now mastered you can start practicing figure eights. This will allow you to cope with changing direction while also practicing your acceleration and braking. Start off at one point and allow the car to slide out of the turn into the next turn, where you will have to change direction.
Start your initial turn-in and tap the brake. Countersteer and throttle modulate as in Step 1 & 2.
NOTE: when you're heavy on the throttle with the rear wheels spinning, the car's weight is on the outside rear tyre. If you were to let off the throttle at that point, the weight would transfer to the front and the car would tend to go in the direction of the steering. If you were to tap the brake, the weight would transfer even more and the car would react more violently. SO be aware of how much braking you do and the steergin's direction.
<object width="425" height="366"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZWLdvBg0MP8&rel=1&border=0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZWLdvBg0MP8&rel=1&border=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="366"></embed></object>

Step 4: Power and Oversteering
This is basically driving into a corner and hitting the gas to get the rear end out. Choose a corner or turn, and drive into the corner; don't drift into it, not yet. Then when you'reabout halfway out of the bend, hit the gas and feel the rear end slide out. Use the throttle wisely as if you hit the gas too hard too soon, you can end up sliding too wide, or even spinning out. Do this step to feel comfortable with the car leaving a turn. For underpowered cars where hitting the throttle would just cause understeer; use the clutch kick tactic ( rev the engine, and relaease the clutch so that the rear tyres can break traction)
<object width="425" height="366"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7pqXqz1Ox80&rel=1&border=0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7pqXqz1Ox80&rel=1&border=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="366"></embed></object>

Step 5: Handbrake and Braking
As mentioned before, braking and acceleration transfer the weight around a car. It's a rear occasion where you can just dive into a corner without braking (unless you drive really slowly). You usually brake before entering a turn, but you can use this braking 'energy' to turn the car. As you brake the weight is on the front of the car, making the rear easier to slide.
Consequently you can use the handbrake, which I hope everybody knows affects the rear wheels, to initiate traction loss. As you drive into a turn, depress the clutch and pull the handbrake, this will cause the rear wheels to lock (if your hanbrake is properly adjusted); while simultaneously steering into the corner to start the slide. release the clutch, adjust your steering,hit the throttle and modulate to keep the rear end sliding in the direction you want. See how when Taniguchi stood on the footbrake heavily, the car spun?? Demonstrating how the handbrake and the footbrake differ.
<object width="425" height="366"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/q7Ack_i4dOw&rel=1&border=0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/q7Ack_i4dOw&rel=1&border=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="366"></embed></object>

Step 6: Combine all the techniques
Now use all the techniques you've learnt to drift an entire circuit. You can also tailor different techniques to your driving style and your car's setup.
For example; with a long wheelbase, understeering but powerful car like a 4 door skyline; you can use alot of handbrake as it takes alot of effort to initiate a drift and use the car's power to keep the car sliding.
Or a nicely balanced, fairly powerful S15; you can initiate the drift from a greater distance before the turn but use the handbrake to extend the slide.
<object width="425" height="366"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y6gzwWv9UrI&rel=1&border=0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y6gzwWv9UrI&rel=1&border=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="366"></embed></object>

Have fun and slide onn the safe side!!
Last edited by Tsuchiya on November 11th, 2007, 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » November 2nd, 2007, 6:57 pm

great thread!

lowlife

Postby lowlife » November 12th, 2007, 3:12 pm

very nice thread!!

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » February 24th, 2008, 12:55 pm

very nice................ bravo

Empress
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Empress » October 23rd, 2009, 2:50 pm

very cool! very nice explained!

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » October 24th, 2009, 9:06 am

sucks when an LSD for your car cost 800 quid tho :?

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » December 16th, 2009, 3:28 pm

somebody pm brandon120y this link :lol: Wish i had the belly to do this but can't think of having my vr4 go sideways.

C33 turbo

Postby C33 turbo » March 12th, 2010, 12:05 pm

goin in d savannah one of these days up by me to get a little better. my uncle is the pro i wanna b able 2 beat him but i only have belly for straight road

TheVoid
Riding on 13's

Re: Want to learn how to drift?

Postby TheVoid » July 23rd, 2010, 4:00 pm

oh cool. that's very helpful thanks! :) :)

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Postby TriniGT » August 10th, 2010, 11:28 am

Trying to help,

luke skywalker
3NE 2NR for life

Postby luke skywalker » October 17th, 2010, 10:08 am

Well it looks like I have to learn how to speak japanese.

playerskrew
Riding on 17's

Postby playerskrew » February 4th, 2011, 7:07 pm

what about AWD's..???

Stealth Drifter
Riding on 13's

Postby Stealth Drifter » July 27th, 2011, 12:02 pm

Now and days drifting is known as turning right to go left ( as said in the first cars movie ) but drifting is much more complicated..... When drifting a corner the first thing you do is rip the E-brake and turn the front wheels of the car towards the corner itself..... Then when you see that the front end of the car is faced toward the corner.... Drop the E-brake
turn the front wheels to the opposite direction of their original position and stomp the gass...... That's the simple way to drift corners 8-)

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » July 27th, 2011, 12:28 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

much to learn you have son

Death-Row
punchin NOS

Postby Death-Row » July 28th, 2011, 12:34 am

been trying a thing or 2 these days, much better at handleing the RWD compared to all my past cars which were AWD. still alot to learn, if we only had a place to practice that was legit, i know i wouldve been much better, but, no place :(

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » July 28th, 2011, 7:44 am

Death-Row wrote:been trying a thing or 2 these days, much better at handleing the RWD compared to all my past cars which were AWD. still alot to learn, if we only had a place to practice that was legit, i know i wouldve been much better, but, no place :(

really? really? *knows not what to tell you. :|*

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » July 28th, 2011, 8:45 am

lol cirque du aranjuez

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » July 28th, 2011, 9:30 am

nah. 2nd gear in a car park too slow.
at that level, he should be able to at least try learning using 4th.

Death-Row
punchin NOS

Postby Death-Row » July 28th, 2011, 1:18 pm

lmao, cant do it close to home, all the police know me by now lol word gets back to my parents really quick. i cyar take dat hot head right now. lol.

ray d saint
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby ray d saint » April 25th, 2013, 10:01 am

Question....

FWD - Accord
H22 - Stock Transmission

Can this vehicle be used to drift? if so what needs to be done to achieve this.

caglowe
3NE 2NR for life

Postby caglowe » April 25th, 2013, 1:00 pm

Awesome thread

Advertisement

Return to “TTDA - T&T Drift Association”