TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

NP300 XE 4x2 or 4x4

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
daxt0r
3NE2NR is my LIFE

NP300 XE 4x2 or 4x4

Postby daxt0r » March 14th, 2021, 9:18 am

2NRs should i buy the cheaper XE NP300 4x2 or the 4x4?
It's about 20k difference and i don't believe i need the 4x4 as i will rarely go offroad. I also read the 4x4 has extra components to go bad and lower mileage.
There is a semi developed road with gravel and crush i will have to traverse regular to inspect a housing development site on a hill but other than that is normal driving and to give d madam to do wa eva.

This will be first time i buying a van, or even owning a diesel vehicle so please forgive the ignorance, what do you 2nrs feel is the better choice where resale, usability and maintenance is concerned.
ah cya afford d hilux and doh have heavyT so that rules out many other brands but still willing to listen to suggestions based on my use case.

Any advice or experience from owners welcome!

Captain Awesome
Sweet on this forum

Re: NP300 XE 4x2 or 4x4

Postby Captain Awesome » March 14th, 2021, 10:00 am

Many years ago when I bought my d22 I had the same predicament. I ended up going with the 4x4 and while I rarely go off road, there have been a few situations I got myself into where the 4x4 got me out of it where without it I would have needed a pull out.

If you know you're going to be a strict asphalt dweller, the 4x2 is the obvious choice. If you think you might end up in a sticky situation from time to time, you're going to be happy you had the 4x4.

You mentioned you never bought a van before. If you're accustomed to cars and front wheel drive vehicles, the two types are very different. There are cases where a car will be able to navigate much easier than a rear wheel vehicle that's light in the back. You may find yourself somewhere that maybe you've been before in a car and had no issue but with a van you might see problems.

Maintenance should not be too costly. Every 60,000kms or so I service front diff and transfer case which only requires an oil change. Never had any issue with 4x4 components. As for np300 4x4 reliability, I have to defer to those with direct experience though I've heard mostly good things about them. I've noticed that 4x4 models hold better resale value, but not by a whole lot.

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » March 14th, 2021, 10:08 am

A 4x4, 90% of the time you won't ever use it. Is not that you'll be limited on most stuff because of the 4x2, but 4x4 give you just a little more confidence to venture out ( lol but most times I got out on 2 wheels where I thought I needed the 4wd)

But as ALWAYS just spend a couple grand and upgrade your tyres almost immediately, a good set of all terrains like Firestone A/T will benefit greatly over the stock 4x2 tyres and give you more assurance on the road etc.

Had a d40 4x2 for 8 years, did everything with it and never once let me down but then at resale time, that 20k in the long run does be nice to get back and you does wonder why I didn't take the 4x4 from the start boy..

If you don't have to take a loan 4x4 easy choice, if you do then that 20k could put u in the hole.

I upgraded to the np300 last year, no issues. But I went 4x4 just for that security sense. It's the same engine as the d40 which I did 350k Kms, you do your maintenance and you will be good. It's a very comfortable vehicle, it's the closest feeling on the road to a suv/car ride out of the pickups...

daxt0r
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby daxt0r » March 14th, 2021, 11:12 am

well rite, talk done, will go with the 4x4 and done.
Much much thx for all the advice folks!!

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”