TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

B-2500 Burning oil

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
redguy
Riding on 13's

B-2500 Burning oil

Postby redguy » November 13th, 2019, 2:00 am

Recently bought a 2004 Mazda B-2500, 4x2, 2.5 turbo (WL). I'm new to this whole van/diesel scene i more or less bought the van to try and save on fuel, i drive from Chaguaramus to Princes Town everyday or almost everyday, avg. 75km one way. I know a thing or two about cars but i'm by no means a mechanic.

The issue i'm having with the van is that its burning oil something like a 1-1.5 quarts every week or so, to put things to perspective every 800 or so km the dipstick would come up dry (i won't get any oil light though). I know by design diesel engines burn oil especially older engines, but i don't think this much. I don't think this is normal or is it? IDK.

Things to note:
- I use NP SAE-50 diesel oil (the previous owner said that's what he use, so i continued)
- I installed a catch can recently (it collects some oil nothing major)
- recently cleaned the intercooler and piping, (intercooler had some oil pooled in it)
- intake is gummed up (not excessively)
- don't think there is a thermostat (tried to check but its a pain to get to)
- turbo has no shaft play but it has oil in it, the oil comes from the air box side where the PCV connects
- there is no external leaking of oil (turbo or otherwise)
- van doesn't smoke other than normal acceleration (blackish)
- if i take off the oil cap after a drive i'd notice some smoke/steam

Please shed some light on this, much thanks.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Re: B-2500 Burning oil

Postby kamakazi » November 13th, 2019, 6:36 am

I'm trying to figure out that as well with a van at work. I believe the engine is tired; the rings are worn. You would hardly see any blue smoke simply because it burns off better in a diesel than in a has engine. What you will notice is the difference in the smell compared to other diesels; it will smell similar to of you had drops of oil on the exhaust manifold.

With regards to your dipstick comment, it only shows the last quart - quart and a half. In your case the vehicle still has a little more than four quarts remaining. Don't hope to see that oil pressure light when you driving; if you do see it that usually means the engine is severely low on oil and is either either damaged or on its way there in short order.

It's a bit sad that the vehicle is already using one of the heaviest oils available on the market; probably used by the previous owner to address the same problem you are experiencing.

For analysis the work van I use has 330000kms on it currently. Not sure if a ring job was done but it is still burning at least a quart every week

redguy
Riding on 13's

Postby redguy » November 13th, 2019, 8:45 am

Could it be the turbo is leaking? The van is doing just under 200k kms, I'm not sure what to do next because it's kinda defeating the purpose for which I bought it. Should the engine be rebuilt or get a F/U head and block. Idk, but first I need to know what's the issue so I can go about making a decision.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » November 13th, 2019, 5:31 pm

redguy wrote:Could it be the turbo is leaking? The van is doing just under 200k kms, I'm not sure what to do next because it's kinda defeating the purpose for which I bought it. Should the engine be rebuilt or get a F/U head and block. Idk, but first I need to know what's the issue so I can go about making a decision.
Honestly can't say... However while the turbo might be leaking, I can't see it being the source of the problem as the intercooler will fill quickly.

The option to rebuild or get a foreign used head and block will depend on you; what you can get, who you can get to do the work.
I understand it is defeating the purpose but be careful not to spend good money behind bad; your plan is to save money on fuel. Does it make sense to spend another 15000 (I'm not sure how much either option will cost) or so to save 25-50 week(also unsure as to how long you are planning to keep the vehicle).

We just buy oil and top off every week. Helps if you can find a good deal on cheap approved oil.

redguy
Riding on 13's

Postby redguy » November 14th, 2019, 4:38 pm

So I've done some research for the last few days and this product came up several times, so I decided to try it, I'll update you on how things pan out.
1573763795930.jpeg

nicholasfabulous
Street 2NR

Postby nicholasfabulous » November 14th, 2019, 8:21 pm

Do a leakdown

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”