TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

ZD30 or QD32?

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
amd-dude
Sweet on this forum

ZD30 or QD32?

Postby amd-dude » May 23rd, 2018, 10:01 am

Hello again tuners, just wanted to get some feedback from guys who has real world experience with these engines (please no wiki warriors).

I'm considering buying an older D22 Frontier with either of the mentioned engines. Going to be used as a daily driver and weekend offroading with a set up along the lines of a 2inch lift, rear locker, diff breathers etc. nothing crazy. Which of these would be more suited for this, the boosted ZD or natural QD?

Open to suggestions or feedback as this is not a concrete plan yet, perhaps a different platform?

black start
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: ZD30 or QD32?

Postby black start » May 23rd, 2018, 10:19 am

Most zd guys, after breaking their engine, swap to the cheaper td/qd

The zd frontiers come with all the creature comforts though and generally look nice

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » May 23rd, 2018, 10:23 am

Zd30 is a nice performer
Good top end power and well....boosted, they have been known to experience injector pump issues.

But for your build...the qd32 may be the better option.
The low end torque on these is amazing. I used to tote up to 2200lbs effortlessly with my old qd32 4x4 d22.

amd-dude
Sweet on this forum

Postby amd-dude » May 23rd, 2018, 12:11 pm

Anything in particular to look out for when buying a used D22? Or by chance does Massy still bring in these new cause I saw a couple with TD series plates.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » May 23rd, 2018, 12:13 pm

amd-dude wrote:Anything in particular to look out for when buying a used D22? Or by chance does Massy still bring in these new cause I saw a couple with TD series plates.
Just cater is a old van u buying and budget to spend some extra on repairs.
Massy doesnt bring them anymore since the d23 came out.
Those TD plates were the last set.
WASA bought the majority of them.

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » May 23rd, 2018, 2:42 pm

and they didn't come QD - those were the 2.5 models

go with the QD for torque

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » May 23rd, 2018, 3:06 pm

tr1ad wrote:and they didn't come QD - those were the 2.5 models

go with the QD for torque
Some came with the zd30
They have the scoop on the bonnet and badged 3.0 on the tailgate

mad
Sweet on this forum

Postby mad » August 10th, 2018, 9:42 am

amd-dude wrote:Hello again tuners, just wanted to get some feedback from guys who has real world experience with these engines (please no wiki warriors).

I'm considering buying an older D22 Frontier with either of the mentioned engines. Going to be used as a daily driver and weekend offroading with a set up along the lines of a 2inch lift, rear locker, diff breathers etc. nothing crazy. Which of these would be more suited for this, the boosted ZD or natural QD?

Open to suggestions or feedback as this is not a concrete plan yet, perhaps a different platform?

I previously owned both.
So for the ZD model, one main fault was blown turbos. I replace 2 turbos and at that time the mileage was below 70000 km. Got some advice and remove the catalyst converter. Worked like a charm with no worries. Sold it doing over 300000KM. If you're using the van for mostly highway run and little workload. This is a good buy. It is very peppy.

With regards to the QD32 non turbo, well all I can say is this is a beast of an engine. Normal maintenance and you good for 500000KM. This is a slow engine and not as fast as the ZD. But if your using the van to carry heavy load in rough terrain, then this is the buy for you.

Also please note that Frontiers will give you a bumpy ride. Original Parts are relatively cheap and you can get them at any motorists outlet. I used Royal Purple on both vehicles with oil change every 10000-12000 KM with no issues.

I hope this helps.

Some extra advice. If your are looking for the best of both worlds, you can get a Triton 3.2 turbo.
I don't think they make them anymore. I also owned a 2006 Triton (thailand model). They are a beast on and off road.
But that's just my view.
Looking for a smooth ride, then Vigo (thailand model).

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » August 17th, 2018, 1:05 pm

mad wrote:
amd-dude wrote:Hello again tuners, just wanted to get some feedback from guys who has real world experience with these engines (please no wiki warriors).

I previously owned both.
So for the ZD model, one main fault was blown turbos. I replace 2 turbos and at that time the mileage was below 70000 km. Got some advice and remove the catalyst converter. Worked like a charm with no worries. Sold it doing over 300000KM. If you're using the van for mostly highway run and little workload. This is a good buy. It is very peppy.

With regards to the QD32 non turbo, well all I can say is this is a beast of an engine. Normal maintenance and you good for 500000KM. This is a slow engine and not as fast as the ZD. But if your using the van to carry heavy load in rough terrain, then this is the buy for you.

Also please note that Frontiers will give you a bumpy ride. Original Parts are relatively cheap and you can get them at any motorists outlet. I used Royal Purple on both vehicles with oil change every 10000-12000 KM with no issues.

I hope this helps.

Some extra advice. If your are looking for the best of both worlds, you can get a Triton 3.2 turbo.
I don't think they make them anymore. I also owned a 2006 Triton (thailand model). They are a beast on and off road.
But that's just my view.
Looking for a smooth ride, then Vigo (thailand model).

well said

mark27
Street 2NR

Postby mark27 » August 27th, 2018, 2:43 pm

Just something to note. If the zd30 frontier you're looking at had an engine change in the past, do some research on the engine and make sure the engine is for a d22 and not an e25 caravan or elgrand. The e25 zd has much lower power than the d22 and the elgrand's zd has a completely different wiring that very few electricians in t&t could sort out. The e25 engine works with the d22 gearbox falling in the original brackets but the elgrand doesn't. And make sure the ecu suits the engine, that is d22 engine suppose to have the d22 ecu and e25 to e25. If it's different it could work but not properly. Had this problem with an e25 engine on the d22 ecu and had rel rel problems.

amd-dude
Sweet on this forum

Postby amd-dude » August 29th, 2018, 10:46 am

Thanks for all the input guys, as it is an older vehicle my mind is kind of swaying as my wife may have to use it from time to time in case of anything, although she has her car. I was looking at the auto tritons but I saw a lot on forums about egr issues, but this was for the 2.5 model not sure about the 3.2 which is the one I would rather (have more power than not enough)

I can go the route of a new vehicle as well as I not scrunting but I don't like the styling of the new pickups other than the ranger, plus I rather beat up an older vehicle than scratch up a new one for my heart to hurt.

Was actually thinking about the older vitara, the ones po po does be driving around in, my mom has one and they seem pretty reliable with an actual low range box, how well would one of these work with the same mods I proposed in the original post, only asking cause you only see jimnys like this and hardly the vitara. I like the jimny but damn it is way to small for practical use other than commuting and offroading.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » August 29th, 2018, 11:03 am

So, seeing that you considering other options...
Why not buy a used hilux instead?

They have all the mods you listed above which are easy to get. And quite capable on an off road

And depending on the budget, you can get a 3.0 4x4 auto and you can get a better all-rounder

Power, comfort, auto, 4x4, capable, mods available

A spacer lift will set u back about 2k
Suspension lift is around 8k
Diff breathers are around 500
Generic snorkel is 1500
Rim and tyres are budget dependent but cater 12-15k
Air Lockers can be around 13k for ARB, but the TRE lockers are available now for cheaper.

The tritons/l200s have been known to perform well

Dont waste your time with the grand vitara
Hardly any proper suspension and drivertrain mods available.

Or.....buy a cheap car for work and buy a jimny and build that for weekends instead.

amd-dude
Sweet on this forum

Postby amd-dude » August 30th, 2018, 9:26 am

Think I'll look for a 3.0 auto last gen hilux, all signs leading to that, I also saw some 2.7 gas hilux's, those make any sense down here? Or don't touch that with a 20 foot pole.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » August 30th, 2018, 10:14 am

amd-dude wrote:Think I'll look for a 3.0 auto last gen hilux, all signs leading to that, I also saw some 2.7 gas hilux's, those make any sense down here? Or don't touch that with a 20 foot pole.
Yea
The 2.7 is actually a good buy
Very fast.
Very reilable.

If not the 3.0 or even the 2.5 hilux is a good option
You can get them in auto and manual.

ru$$ell
30 pounds of Boost

Postby ru$$ell » August 30th, 2018, 11:12 pm

we had a D22(2000 model,pre facelift) 4x4 with a QD32 back in the day, really bulletproof engine once properly maintained (filters/oil). They are basically higher displacement TD27's which are known for being one of the strongest diesel engines to date and run on basically any sheit diesel/black diesel/ Engine oil/cooking oil with paraffin/etc you throw in the tank.

mark27
Street 2NR

Postby mark27 » September 1st, 2018, 1:23 am

If it's power, reliability and parts availability you looking at, you could try this if money is no issue. Look for a d22 4x4, trade whatever engine it has by Bamboo Marketing or Rama's for a QD32 Eti, swap the electronic pump for a TD27ti mechanical pump, carry the pump by the pump man down Princess Town and let him re calibrate it, trade the Hitachi turbo that came with QD32 Eti for a Mitsubishi TD04 19t (ck gsr has a 14t) or a bigger t2 flange turbo, get a 3 core radiator, run full 3 inch exhaust and a proper intercooler. Get a boost and EGT guage. Make sure and tune properly. If you going tranny, use the WLt tranny with the QD bell housing and flex plate. The WLt tranny handles the increase in power much better. We did this already and the van was a torque monster. Pulled that good that I in the process of doing this again but with a yd d22. Using the n/a d22 QD this time as it already has a 7 bolt flywheel. Changing the front shocks to gas type helps with the bouncy ride. If you decide to go with nissan, the modern diesels like the yd25ddti and zd30ddti commonrails cannot in no way match the strength and robustness of the TD and QD. The d22 chassis is also tried, tested and proven to be heaps stronger than the d40 under load.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » October 6th, 2022, 10:08 pm

bompin this thread.

coudl the qd engine bolt up on the zd gear box? if not, coudl the bell housing change?

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”