TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Mahindra Pikup - cheap alternative 4x4??

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Mahindra Pikup - cheap alternative 4x4??

Postby civic minded » June 8th, 2012, 7:42 am

we have very conservative buying patterns when it comes to vehicles, look how long it took for Kia to become popular. Local car dealers know this, thats why the japanese brands customer service lacks so much.

Ramirez
Street 2NR

Postby Ramirez » July 29th, 2012, 2:06 pm

It have some potential to look a little better

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby civic minded » July 31st, 2012, 8:14 am

a padna of mines getting his next week so i am going for a test drive when he gets it - he couldn't stop talking how good it is.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » July 31st, 2012, 8:42 am

"FRONTAL OFFSET CRASH TEST
Body region scores out of 4 points each: Head/neck Zero
pts, chest 1 pts, upper legs 1.39 pts, lower legs Zero pts.

The passenger compartment lost structural integrity in the
offset crash test. The throttle pedal moved rearwards by
298 mm and upwards 137 mm. The steering wheel hub
moved 62 mm rearward, 104 mm upward and 18 mm
sideways. The front ("A") pillar moved 104 mm rearwards.
All doors remained latched during the crash. After the
crash the driver's door could be opened with high manual
effort. The tailshaft moved sideways and dented the fuel
tank.
The airbag was still deploying when the driver's head
contacted it. This increased the risk of serious head and
neck injury. Steering column and dash components were a
potential source of injury for the driver's knees. The
passenger's head was cushioned by the airbag. Dash
components were also a potential source of injury for the
passenger's knees"

Allyuh brave to buy this after that front crash test. Sometimes it pays to pay a lil extra just incase for safety imo.

sliderz1
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sliderz1 » July 31st, 2012, 10:52 am

meh... worst have been sold here

besides a 2ton pickup vs car =

Ramirez
Street 2NR

Postby Ramirez » August 1st, 2012, 10:46 am

Mazda BT50/Ford Ranger

Occupant protection: 3 stars

Mahindra

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » August 1st, 2012, 12:36 pm

Ramirez wrote:Mazda BT50/Ford Ranger

Mahindra

you're comparing a 2008 BT50/Ranger to a 2012 Mahindra Pik-up.

2012 Ranger gets 5 stars crash rating in Euro NCAP.
http://www.euroncap.com/results/ford/ranger/2012/450.aspx

Since no 2012 Ancap tests for Ranger, using 2008 Euroncap you'll see that it feared poorly and shouldn't be compared to 2012 trucks.
http://www.euroncap.com/tests/ford_ranger_2008/342.aspx

Ramirez
Street 2NR

Postby Ramirez » August 1st, 2012, 12:41 pm

yup my bad, you are correct.

but i believe these pick up will be more popular in time .

Another article dated a bit but i guess little by little mahindras gain ground in other places.

http://www.zigwheels.com/news-features/ ... eat/3261/1

Indian utility vehicle major Mahindra & Mahindra just got a shot in the arm when one of its Scorpio pick-ups did the unthinkable - take third place in the production category of the tough Rally dos Sertoes in Brazil, racing against the might of the Mitsubishis, Fords and Chevrolets.

What is most heartening about this result was that it wasn't a planned event or even a factory effort but the initiative of long time Brazilian motoring enthusiast Ricardo Augusto de Souza Campos, better known in the South American motor sport fraternity simply as Rasc.

Rasc wanted to do something different with his 16-year old son RASC Campos, better known himself as Rasquinho, and so he purchased a Mahindra pick-up from Govesa Mahindra, the firm's dealer in Brasilia. A veteran of over 25 years of motor sport in Brazil, he has seen action not just in circuit racing (where we was Brazilian champion in the Speed 1600 series) but since 1990 had turned his hand to rallies, taking part in the tough Brazilian events in all forms of machinery, latterly trucks. Rasc founded the Jeep Club of Brasilia (his home town) and so it was not lost on him that Mahindra vehicles have descended from this great brand. The Rally dos Sertoes was the one event where success had eluded him in conventional vehicles and so this year he decided to attempt the unthinkable with a vehicle which was largely simple yet unproven in competition.

Govesa Mahindra helped Rasc with service support and the makings of this effort saw Mahindra by Bramont step in with sponsorship. The Rally dos Sertoes is one of the toughest events in the world, second its said after the mighty Dakar (run this year in South America if you'd care to recollect) and this year it was run over 11 days, the first and the last were promotional super specials. The 5045 km long event featured a total of 2605km of competitive stages between Goiania and Natal. A total of 128 vehicles took the start and among them were 66 cars and seven trucks while the rest were motorcycles and quads.

In this demanding event run across Brazilian jungles and swampy terrain, Rasc and his son Rasquinho had entered their Mahindra single cab pick-up in the T2 category for production cars and pick-ups. Ranged against them were 25 other rivals in class driving Ford, Chevrolet, Mitsubishi and Troller (a Ford brand in South America) vehicles. The father son-duo did extremely well when one considers that only 29 of the 66 cars and pick-ups completed the grueling event and they not just finished 22nd overall but also third in the T2 category. This was almost akin to David slaying Goliath for the well funded entries from the other makers also had years of competition experience whereas this was the first time a Mahindra pick-up had ever been entered!

It was a result which stumped everyone in the event but then Rasc and Rasquinho were counting on the rugged build of the Mahindra to counter the firepower of the competition from Japan and the U.S. The vehicle was prepared almost entirely to stock standard specifications apart from the mandatory safety and structural modifications demanded by the regulations. An FIA safety roll-cage was fitted as were special rally seats. There was a snorkel air intake, a sump and transmission guard, a plastic windshield, electrical safety gear plus also a full complement of navigation and rally aids along with radio and GPS systems. The chassis was strengthened at key points as demanded by the regulations and the only change from the standard spec was the fitment of rally shock absorbers which the T2 regs permitted. There was also a larger 220-litre fuel tank mounted in the load bed and overall the turnout of the vehicle was resplendent in its red and white livery. Maybe with this result, expect Mahindra by Bramont to think about an entry in the 2010 edition of the Dakar in January! It just could be the first ever Indian vehicle ever in a world championship rally raid!

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby civic minded » August 1st, 2012, 5:11 pm

Wow, very good read - the mahindra has stay to a more rugged built while the other MANUFACTURERS have gone soft !

Ramirez
Street 2NR

Postby Ramirez » August 1st, 2012, 10:10 pm

Another bit of info for the 4x4 peeps

The Pik Up’s Mechanical Locking Differential (MLD) is manufactured by the world renowned Eaton Corporation and further enhances its on-road and off-road capabilities. It provides full axle lock automatically when needed without any manual intervention, thus providing optimum traction. The locking differential reacts to wheel speed differences (side to side) and provides full axle lock or equal power (100%) to both rear wheels. Once engaged, the locking differential will remain locked until it is no longer needed, at which time it returns to operating as an open differential. The Mechanical Locking Differential will not engage at speeds in excess of 20 MPH, ensuring no locking during routine vehicle turns.

Driveline torque always follows the path of least resistance. In a slick situation, standard 4WD will only provide Mechanical Locking to one front wheel and one rear wheel. A Mechanical Locking Differential will provide equal power to both rear wheels, giving you three working wheels. MLD is thus, an added advantage on a standard 4WD.

sliderz1
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sliderz1 » August 2nd, 2012, 11:02 am

nice articles

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby civic minded » August 4th, 2012, 1:10 pm

Ok , Padna got his ; here is my honest review

First of all , the one he got is the 2.5l turbo 5 speed manual 4x4, lifestyle provided side bars , tint, mats and reverse sensors - he paid 130k vat inclusive thro a company. 3 Years warranty - first year service free.
The amount of space in it is mind-blowing . You can stretch your legs and hands as far you want without touching anything - you can practically play lawn tennis inside. Massive leg room head room. Feel real big. The air con have two separate settings and very good at cooling the big interior . This unit comes with a 4 speaker stereo mp3 unit with steering controls.
The ride is surprisingly good , coil springs in front and leaf springs in the back give this mammoth a really nice smooth ride over the bumps. This unit comes with load leveling headlamp adjuster and a MSD, which supposed to be better than LSD. This vehicle is tall! About 7ft , taller than any other out there and lots of ground clearance , front and back

Now the cons, major drawback for me is power, the mahindra cause of it size and weight- the engine feels lazy and underpowered. 2nd gear is especially lazy as i am used to the power that the ranger has . This is defiantly a step down. Another con is because of the dimensions of the vehicle , you can't take corners too fast , it will tip over. Also too , there is no seroius shielding underneath , only plastic so if you want to go offroading , mods will be necessary .You get 16 inch 5 hole steel rims with hubcaps - that need to be cable tied cause they fall out everywhere. It have the center nut similar to the old frontiers but there isnt anything to turn - There is a switch dial in the cabin similar to the ranger to engage the 2H-4H-4L. What i dont like with the interior, the buttons for the windows are in the center next to the handbrake - so if your in the passanger seat you need to lean over to the side across the handbrake to put down your window. The stock sound is okish but sound real sucky. I tried to tweek it as much as i can but it wont really help. Certain parts of the van you can tell the cheapness of it - especially when you look under the bonnet and undercarriage but i guess it what you pay for. The Engine is loud - very loud - you know it is coming about a couple of miles away and when you switch on the morning - you swear your starting a tractor.

All and all , for 150k or so it is really good for the price , it's a workhorse and will be a good company vehicle but I don't really seeing it more than that. Although it comes with something like A/T tires - i won't chance it in the bush unless some mods are done and flare out the tires to give it a more stable stance - i just friad it tip over when i am doing a corner too hard.

Mr. Go Slow
Riding on 16's

Postby Mr. Go Slow » August 6th, 2012, 2:22 pm

Great review!

Can you tell me if the font end is IFS with coil springs? or a solid axle? (sorry lazy to Google)

Also, you are comparing your Ranger power vs the Mahindra ... Your Ranger is the common rail or WLT?

Finally, any test of the suspension articulation off road yet? Is it pliable and follows the terrain well?

Thanks!

civic minded wrote:Ok , Padna got his ; here is my honest review

First of all , the one he got is the 2.5l turbo 5 speed manual 4x4, lifestyle provided side bars , tint, mats and reverse sensors - he paid 130k vat inclusive thro a company. 3 Years warranty - first year service free.
The amount of space in it is mind-blowing . You can stretch your legs and hands as far you want without touching anything - you can practically play lawn tennis inside. Massive leg room head room. Feel real big. The air con have two separate settings and very good at cooling the big interior . This unit comes with a 4 speaker stereo mp3 unit with steering controls.
The ride is surprisingly good , coil springs in front and leaf springs in the back give this mammoth a really nice smooth ride over the bumps. This unit comes with load leveling headlamp adjuster and a MSD, which supposed to be better than LSD. This vehicle is tall! About 7ft , taller than any other out there and lots of ground clearance , front and back

Now the cons, major drawback for me is power, the mahindra cause of it size and weight- the engine feels lazy and underpowered. 2nd gear is especially lazy as i am used to the power that the ranger has . This is defiantly a step down. Another con is because of the dimensions of the vehicle , you can't take corners too fast , it will tip over. Also too , there is no seroius shielding underneath , only plastic so if you want to go offroading , mods will be necessary .You get 16 inch 5 hole steel rims with hubcaps - that need to be cable tied cause they fall out everywhere. It have the center nut similar to the old frontiers but there isnt anything to turn - There is a switch dial in the cabin similar to the ranger to engage the 2H-4H-4L. What i dont like with the interior, the buttons for the windows are in the center next to the handbrake - so if your in the passanger seat you need to lean over to the side across the handbrake to put down your window. The stock sound is okish but sound real sucky. I tried to tweek it as much as i can but it wont really help. Certain parts of the van you can tell the cheapness of it - especially when you look under the bonnet and undercarriage but i guess it what you pay for. The Engine is loud - very loud - you know it is coming about a couple of miles away and when you switch on the morning - you swear your starting a tractor.

All and all , for 150k or so it is really good for the price , it's a workhorse and will be a good company vehicle but I don't really seeing it more than that. Although it comes with something like A/T tires - i won't chance it in the bush unless some mods are done and flare out the tires to give it a more stable stance - i just friad it tip over when i am doing a corner too hard.

tourniquet
punchin NOS

Postby tourniquet » August 6th, 2012, 4:48 pm

civic minded, when you say that it feels like it will tip over if you take a corner too hard, what do you consider as being too hard?
With regards to the safety aspect, I can't help but laugh at the people who cite that this vehicle is a death trap, but then go out and hunt for an ole school pickup because, "it cud take more jammin than them newer models." **smh** :lol:

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby civic minded » August 6th, 2012, 7:23 pm

I went around the roundabout by pricesmart Chaguanas, felt some body roll, immediately put my foot on the brake . Got a little scared with it so I know I need to take it slower than my ranger.

I own a tdci 3.0l and a 2.5l wlt ranger , both much more powerful than the mahindra . But remember something - this is half the price than the ranger or hilux. It's all about value for money and the mahindra have loads of it!

Ramirez
Street 2NR

Postby Ramirez » August 6th, 2012, 7:42 pm

Suspension:

Front: Independent front suspension, torsion bar with stabiliser bar & hydraulic shock absorbers
Rear: Multi layered semi-elliptic leaf spring

When buying this you have to view this vehicle with one eye firmly fixed on the price. Remember, for $150k you are getting a rugged, roomy and comfortable 4x4 diesel twin-cab vehicle.

As much as I could tell the Pik-Up is really built as a workhorse and will handle a muddy construction site with ease and carry just as much as the competition, but when Raj runs it into the cement mixer (and you know he will) you can simply shrug it off, after two hard clout. It would be a different story if it was your Black $250k + HiLux.

One aspect of driving this van that takes a little getting used to, is the attention that you’ll attract. Everyone looks at the Mahindra.Its hard to get that attention in a stock ranger lol and when you do stop somewhere ,someones got to ask you about it.
Never drove it offroad but the Pik-Up combination of good ground clearance and low front overhang should see it make a good fist of some tough situations.
It would be easy to jump in this topic and be overly negative, but that would be selling this particular vehicle short. And sure like civicminded, many will compare it to the Japanese vehicles but the reality is that the Mahindra is re-blazing a trail, a trail that the Japanese manufacturers left some time ago – simple, honest, rugged, cheap and built for work.

Buyers as they always do, are going to weigh up the pros and the cons before driving the PikUp off the lot. It has a lot to offer, but to really succeed it will need a reputation for reliability and readily available parts. The reliability I hope will be proven over time.Of course, some buyers will prefer to wait until it's had a chance to bed itself into the market and demonstrate its worth as a willing, reliable, no-nonsense work-horse.

tourniquet
punchin NOS

Postby tourniquet » August 6th, 2012, 8:51 pm

the mahindra kinda reminds me of it too:
http://www.mynrma.com.au/motoring/revie ... 007-on.htm
http://www.ancap.com.au/crashtestrecord?Id=374

**hides from the fanboys** :stalk:

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby civic minded » August 7th, 2012, 12:15 am

Come 26th August , you all will see the Mahindra in action on the Side B rally - i will be navigator!...hope we dont get lost...lol

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » August 7th, 2012, 2:05 am

Would be hard to get lost, its not a rally we having, its an obstacle course.
Yes, the Mahindra has an Eaton locker, aka Detroit locker. Mechanically locks the diff if wheelsin is detected. Different from an LS cuz an LSD still aloows some slip if you work it too hard.

Those who say there's no more rugged pickups anymore, let's not forget that the bt50 in 2.5 wlt is still available in commercial grade, as well as the ranger, hilux and isuzu dmax. There's even a 4x2 single cab navara called the XE trim... And remember the frontier is still available in TD27 variants..... All these pickups can take "jamming" as they say. The rangger and bt 50 come with torsion bar setups, which is as rugged as it gets.
Just because we trinidadians like to follow trendy and flashy things by dressing up our vehicles in tacky shiny chrome and useless plastic accessories, we get the impression that these vehicles are soft and can't take a beating.... But we forget that these are still workhorses underneath all that caryboy and winbo crap.
What a lot of people don't reize is that many pickuos, like the hilux, navara, dmax and so on are now being manufactured with modification by the end user in mind. Places like australia, new Zealand, southafric an so on, have HUGE markets for modifications. Just so happens we live so far away from the real action that all we see is flashy, mostly useless Thailand acccessories and not the real good stuff. (plus no one wants to pay for it when bringing it halfway around the globe).

Mahindra is a good brand, and it will take time to be established in trinidad. People will get excited, be curious about it because it looks different, and its marketed as a more basic, reliable and rugged vehicle than a crims-down vigo.. So I don't understand why people want to compare the two. Just appreciate what the vehicle is worth, and accept it.

Oh and btw the mahindra is definitely gonna need that Eaton locker, cuz that obstacle course gonna be a very serious offroad challenge!

sliderz1
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sliderz1 » August 7th, 2012, 8:44 am

good review. seems neutral enough

it seems like a 'bang for buck'

any numbers WRT fuel economy?

Mr. Go Slow
Riding on 16's

Postby Mr. Go Slow » August 9th, 2012, 9:41 pm

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » August 13th, 2012, 5:49 pm

lighthammer wrote:Would be hard to get lost, its not a rally we having, its an obstacle course.
Yes, the Mahindra has an Eaton locker, aka Detroit locker. Mechanically locks the diff if wheelsin is detected. Different from an LS cuz an LSD still aloows some slip if you work it too hard.

Those who say there's no more rugged pickups anymore, let's not forget that the bt50 in 2.5 wlt is still available in commercial grade, as well as the ranger, hilux and isuzu dmax. There's even a 4x2 single cab navara called the XE trim... And remember the frontier is still available in TD27 variants..... All these pickups can take "jamming" as they say. The rangger and bt 50 come with torsion bar setups, which is as rugged as it gets.
Just because we trinidadians like to follow trendy and flashy things by dressing up our vehicles in tacky shiny chrome and useless plastic accessories, we get the impression that these vehicles are soft and can't take a beating.... But we forget that these are still workhorses underneath all that caryboy and winbo crap.
What a lot of people don't reize is that many pickuos, like the hilux, navara, dmax and so on are now being manufactured with modification by the end user in mind. Places like australia, new Zealand, southafric an so on, have HUGE markets for modifications. Just so happens we live so far away from the real action that all we see is flashy, mostly useless Thailand acccessories and not the real good stuff. (plus no one wants to pay for it when bringing it halfway around the globe).

Mahindra is a good brand, and it will take time to be established in trinidad. People will get excited, be curious about it because it looks different, and its marketed as a more basic, reliable and rugged vehicle than a crims-down vigo.. So I don't understand why people want to compare the two. Just appreciate what the vehicle is worth, and accept it.

Oh and btw the mahindra is definitely gonna need that Eaton locker, cuz that obstacle course gonna be a very serious offroad challenge!

nail on the head business :!:

habir1
Riding on 13's

Postby habir1 » August 16th, 2012, 4:40 pm

The pickup has EATON DIFF LOCK!!!
What other pickup has diff lock in this country without having to pay extra for it. I think it also has diff lock on the 2x4 model as well. I can't wait to buy one!!!

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » August 18th, 2012, 9:16 am

yuh hadda be careful when driving these mechanical diff locked vehciles eh.... they don't really handle the same way a vehicle with an open diff or even LSD does.

That's one of the reasons why the market shifted towards trucks/suv's with open diffs and LSDs... so that ordinary people like wives, businessmen, etc. can drive them too (thus more sales!) and not just farmers and truck drivers.

habir1
Riding on 13's

Postby habir1 » August 18th, 2012, 9:50 am

I'm no mechanical expert but since a child I've been involved in the Hardware business (in Laventille) where we had the only two bright yellow single cab 4X4 hilux in the country. I've seen those works of art carry 50 bags of cement up Laventille's unpaved water damaged roads bringing a smile to my face even as an unknowing child. Now as an adult Licensed Land Surveyor with ten years working with the newer hilux and frontier it almost brings tears to my eyes.
I've never drivin the Mahindra but just from reading the reviews it gives me the feel, the same familiar feel from when I was a child. The one thing that is repeatedly said over and over is that it is made to wuk and in my profession this is what I need. The navara, hilux, new ranger can no longer fit in dem estate trace because they too wide now.

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » August 20th, 2012, 6:43 pm

^^ well sounds like the mahindra is the truck for u man.

Not everyone has the same needs/tastes for a truck.

AdamB
12 pounds of Boost

Postby AdamB » August 30th, 2012, 4:45 pm

If you work out the maths wrt financing, it is probably well worth it in $$$ saved.

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » August 31st, 2012, 12:45 am

How did the Mahindra do on the Side B run?

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » September 2nd, 2012, 12:19 am

Didn't come. Driver opted out before the rally. Didn't want to damage the Mahindra.
New rangers came out though.
One got minor bumper damage. Both were DNF's.

Ramirez
Street 2NR

Postby Ramirez » September 18th, 2012, 12:03 pm

I see the mahindra went on a run with Side B . How did it do ?

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”