TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Everything you need to know about: Lifting your truck

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
lighthammer
punchin NOS

Re: Everything you need to know about: Lifting your truck

Postby lighthammer » July 16th, 2011, 10:55 am

^^ body lift has the same effect as any other type of lift w.r.t. raising center of gravity.

Actually... suspension lift probably is the most effective way of raising the truck... because you can choose different spring rates and shock-absorber performance to suit your driving style. I know a dude with a 5-inch lifted Navara (full calmini kit) and he says it rides like stock, even when cornering hard - hardly any body roll at all and the big nav feels planted to the road.

sliderz1
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sliderz1 » July 16th, 2011, 1:47 pm

hmmm........get accustomed to the high centre of gravity with your stock setup, that is before u make it even higher

.....some suspension lifts (coil spacer and rear shackles) do not affect suspension quality as it uses the OEM spring and shocks .....it will affect articulation however, but it'd be heck of a lot easier than a body lift where A/c lines, brakelines, fuel connectors, gas tank neck etc will have to adjusted

there's a video i posted earlier in the thread with a suspension lift install

droppa
punchin NOS

Postby droppa » July 16th, 2011, 1:57 pm

not as hard man, been done by many before and without as much complications as seems...

rx80
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rx80 » July 17th, 2011, 6:33 am

Well it seems the aussies a lifting up to 3" with only body spacers and the steering suspension. They're saying the brake, clutch, elect, lines don't need extending so I'll prol do the body lift first then see how it goes from there. Don't want to do tooo much mods jus yet as it's currently my daily...

sureshot_james
3NE 2NR for life

Postby sureshot_james » July 18th, 2011, 5:56 pm

depends on th truck some can do 3 inches but most only get away with 2 inches body lift without having to extend things

we do these all the time

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » August 3rd, 2011, 1:42 pm

Have a read on some Q&A from PRG about lifting a truck....

http://www.prgproducts.com/blog/

Do my rear shocks mount body up or boot up?
May 19th, 2008

GREG SAYS: Icon, Radflo, and Sway-A-Way rear shocks need to be mounted with the body of the shock up, on the chassis side. We mount the Bilsteins with the body of the shock down. It looks a little better that way because you can see the body of the shock, but they can be mounted either way.

Posted in FAQ, Frontier, Installation, Rear Suspension, Shocks, Titan, Xterra | No Comments »
Q: What’s the best option for the rear of my Titan: blocks or springs?
April 17th, 2008

GREG SAYS: Blocks are the least expensive and most reliable way to get a few inches of height for the rear. They’re also easiest to install. Many people voice concerns about axle-wrap, but the axle-wrap on a Titan is going to be about the same whether you have blocks or not. The only blocks we sell are either billet aluminum or extremely strong cast steel blocks (not cast aluminum) and these blocks WILL NOT fail like cheap, old-style, cast aluminum blocks. The disadvantages of blocks are that there’s no performance gain, no wheel travel gain, and they’re just not as cool as springs.
The PRG Deaver spring upgrade is the best rear upgrade you can get for your truck without going for a whole race-style pack. They’ll give you about two or three inches of lift, improved bottoming resistance, and prolong the life of the spring. The downside is that they are more expensive than the blocks, they’re more difficult to install (but not terribly difficult to install), and your ride height is not adjustable. Now, keep in mind, you can combine the springs and the blocks together to get more height, up to six inches, but with more than four inches you’re going to want to call because special blocks will be required.

Posted in FAQ, Rear Suspension, Titan | No Comments »
Q: What’s best for the rear of my Frontier: shackles, blocks, or spring upgrade?
April 17th, 2008

GREG SAYS: Blocks are the least expensive and most reliable way to get a few inches of height for the rear. They’re also easiest to install. Many people voice concerns about axle-wrap, but on the Frontier it’s just not a big issue using moderate height blocks. You’ll have no more noticeable wrap than you already have. The only blocks we sell are either billet aluminum or extremely strong cast steel blocks (not cast aluminum) and these blocks WILL NOT fail like cheap, old-style, cast aluminum blocks. The disadvantages of blocks are that there’s no performance gain, no wheel travel gain, and they’re just not as cool as springs.

The shackle upgrade would be the next step up from blocks. They are fairly easy to install and our shackles give you a slight adjustability in ride height. Shackles can give you a bit more wheel travel if combined with the proper shock, but not much because the Gen 2 Frontier doesn’t allow for a very long shock in the rear. This is why we don’t sell Revolver-style shackles as you will see no wheel travel or flex gain. The downside of the shackle is that there is potential for them to cause premature spring sag due to overextension (too much compression) past what they spring was originally intended to do. This can be corrected with a bump stop extension. If you beat the hell out of your truck, the shackle is not a good choice without the spring upgrade. For normal use and light offroading your stock springs should not fatigue with the upgraded shackle. Another downside is that the ride is not improved with a shackle. If you’re consistently bottoming or require more spring rate, the shackle is not the fix for you.

Finally, our PRG Deaver spring upgrade are the best rear upgrade you can get for your truck without going for a whole race-style pack. They’ll give you about two or three inches of lift, improved bottoming resistance, and prolong the life of the spring. The downside is that they are more expensive than the blocks or the shackles, they’re more difficult to install (but not terribly difficult to install), and your ride height is not adjustable. Now, keep in mind, you can combine any of these products together, but this should give you an idea of what each one does individually.

Posted in FAQ, Frontier, Rear Suspension | No Comments »
Q: Can I get more height from a Stage 2 ProComp or Fabtech kit?
April 17th, 2008

GREG SAYS: The stage 2 kits are typically already very tall. Adding the upper arm and the appropriate spacer (NOT a leveling kit) can yield an additional inch or so of lift. Because each application is different and the demands of each customer are different it’s really best to call and we can discuss your options.

Posted in Lift Kits, Titan | No Comments »
Q: What’s the best replacement shock available for my Titan (or Frontier, or Xterra, or Pathfinder, or Armada)?
February 1st, 2008

GREG SAYS: With all the changes going on in the industry and all the new products coming onto the market, this is too difficult to answer without talking with the customer and identifying his or her needs. Different shocks are best for different applications. It’s why we offer several brands instead of just one and why we don’t offer ALL brands. We are constantly revising and updating to provide the finest products and most current components available to our customers. All of our shocks options are exceptional or else we wouldn’t offer them.

Posted in Armada, FAQ, Frontier, Pathfinder, Shocks, Titan | No Comments »
Q: I’m having a shop install my kit. Is there anything special they should know?
February 1st, 2008

GREG SAYS: Yes!!! Please, please make sure they read the instructions thoroughly. Many shops are used to doing things in a certain order. We have refined the installation techniques for our PRG products and following them will make installation as quick and painless as possible. If they have any questions they should call the telephone number included with all our instructions. If you are in the Southern California area or plan to be in our area we can arrange installation for you with your purchase. Please contact us for details.

Posted in Armada, FAQ, Frontier, Installation, Pathfinder, Titan, Xterra | No Comments »
Q: I noticed that you recommend a shock change with the rear blocks and/or Deavers. Is this necessary?
February 1st, 2008

GREG SAYS: It is certainly recommended that a longer shock be used for anything that raises the truck more than an inch. There will be no damage using the factory shock with these products, but ride quality will very likely suffer. You can always upgrade later at your convenience.

Posted in FAQ, Frontier, Rear Suspension, Shocks, Titan | No Comments »
Q: Why do you sell 1” AND 1.5” PRG billet rear blocks instead of less expensive cast steel or aluminum blocks?
February 1st, 2008

GREG SAYS: Small, cheap cast blocks are known to crack and/or break in half. The billet blocks are virtually indestructible and for 1” and 1.5” applications they are the strongest choice. We also use plated grade 8 u-bolts which are stronger and tougher than stock and are also corrosion resistant. One other note about our rear blocks: they are all ground to be flat, unlike cast blocks. This keeps the axle from rocking on the spring pad and our blocks are extra long to ensure the least amount of axle wrap. Now, when you get up to a 2” block we do recommend a cast steel block. Why? Because at that point there is enough material that it is plenty strong. The cracking issues with cast steel blocks apply to smaller blocks where there is not enough material to support the application. We use only the finest steel blocks available.

Posted in FAQ, Frontier, Rear Suspension, Titan | No Comments »
Q: I’ve seen other leveling kits on the market and some of them are cheaper. Why should I choose yours?
February 1st, 2008

GREG SAYS: We make our kits with the finest materials. They are made from domestic aircraft quality 6061-T6 CNC machined billet aluminum. These kits won’t rust and are incredibly strong with no welds to fail. We use grade 8 hardware throughout and our kits are modular for future upgrades. We offer different height kits because of the uniqueness of the 2 and 4 WD models and because extensive testing has shown us that one kit won’t work for both 2 and 4 WD (one size does not fit all). We also recommend different sizes for 2008 and newer Titans. We include upgraded urethane bumpstops because we know that the stock bumpstops are not adequate; without the upgrade the factory shock may be damaged under compression. We even include replacement cotter keys because you should never reuse cotter keys and installing any leveling kit requires you to take them off. Photo instructions are included as well, as is a phone number in case you or your installer have any questions. This is by far the most complete kit on the market. We also have a buy-back program with our leveling kits: purchase a suspension upgrade from us within two years after buying your leveling kit and we will give you $100 off your order when you return the spacers to us.

Posted in Armada, FAQ, Frontier, Lift Kits, Pathfinder, Titan, Xterra | No Comments »
Q: Will the ride change after I install the PRG leveling kit?
February 1st, 2008

GREG SAYS: Because the leveling kit attaches to the top of the strut assembly, neither the spring rate or shock position are changed. The ride will be the same as stock for the most part. We include the urethane bump stops with our 2” and 2.5” kits to protect the shock while bottoming out and to provide a softer ride under full compression.

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » August 3rd, 2011, 1:59 pm

For those of you who are interested in a lift kit... here's what available locally (if you want to buy from a reputable dealer)

Calmini kits: http://www.calmini.com/

Dean's Wheels, located in Diego Martin, are the local dealers for Calmini Kits. Good for those who are on a budget but want an ugrade in looks and performance.
633 RIMS

Ironman 4x4: http://ironman4x4.com/index.html

Local dealer is James Mosely, located next to sookhai's & trac mac in Charlieville, Chaguanas (Biljnah Road Extension) ** Edited....
Ironman is a trusted brand out of Australia and they make a wide range of products for all brands of 4x4 vehicles (not just suspension kits alone!).... including tents, light bars, bumpers, drawers for the tray, etc.

Hilux (1997 - 2005): http://ironman4x4.com/html/toyota/70.html
Hilux (2005 - IMV/Vigo series): http://ironman4x4.com/html/toyota/71.html

Frontier (2002 - 2006) : http://ironman4x4.com/html/nissan/56.html
Navara (2005 - onwards): http://ironman4x4.com/html/nissan/57.html

Pajero (2000 - onwards) : http://ironman4x4.com/html/mitsubishi/40.html
Sportero (2007 onwards): http://ironman4x4.com/html/mitsubishi/35.html

Ranger (2005 - onwards): http://ironman4x4.com/html/ford/11.html

BT-50 (2006 - onwards): http://ironman4x4.com/html/mazda/32.html

Suzuki Grand Vitara (1998 - 2005): http://ironman4x4.com/html/suzuki/63.html
Suzuki Grand Vitara (2005 - onwards): http://ironman4x4.com/html/suzuki/64.html

All you have to do is find out which kit you want to get by browsing through the appropriate brochure listed above, and let James know so he can bring it down and install it for you (takes about 2 weeks to land and clear).

Note*** - be sure to specify which package you want (eg. Performance vs. Constant Load, etc.) - read the brochures carefully and ask James which would be the best for you.

Mosely Enterprises: - 374 9339
Last edited by lighthammer on August 5th, 2011, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

droppa
punchin NOS

Postby droppa » August 3rd, 2011, 2:36 pm

great local info there LH, as per usual...........

if i cud only rob an amoured truck now!!!!!!!

sliderz1
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sliderz1 » August 3rd, 2011, 5:08 pm

good info man

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » August 5th, 2011, 5:01 pm

** Correction ***

James won't be working out of San Juan, Boundary Road - the new shop will be located at Biljnah Road Extension, in Charlieville (The next warehouse after Sookhai's Diesel).

sliderz1
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sliderz1 » October 24th, 2011, 7:31 pm

ginger
Riding on 13's

Postby ginger » January 16th, 2012, 1:33 am

Hi every 1 am just wonderin if I'm to put ah ah 5 suspen lift on my nissan frontier wat would be the price range for the kit aswell as the labour??

droppa
punchin NOS

Postby droppa » January 16th, 2012, 9:01 am

call them fellas for a pricing man, you cant go wrong!!!!!

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » January 17th, 2012, 12:24 pm

@Ginger - call 374 9339, ask for Mr James Moseley.

He has the following available on special order for your Frontier:
- Ironman and/or ARB/OME 2.5" - 4" lift kit (thicker torsion bars, Nitro-charged shocks, taller leaf springs & U-Bolts)
- Safari snorkel
- ARB steel bumper (crash & airbag rated so you keep the stock airbags)
- Iroman & Warn winches (from 8000lb, 9500lb, 10,000lb and up)
- IPF hybrid spot/driving lights 100W with harnesses
- ARB Air Compressor & Differential Locker (these are AWESOME! Lock your diffs and never stick again, unless you do something dumb, like drive your frontier directly into a river and drown it!)

Besides these products made specifically for your frontier, Mr Moseley also has on order other general items for most trucks, eg. ARB mobile fridge/freezer that plugs into a 12V socket and holds 72 coke cans, Rear Canopies for the tray (like teh carryboy covers, but MUCH better quality), ARB hi-lift jacks.... and so on!

Check out ARB's official website >>> HERE <<< for more products.

He's the AUTHORIZED distributor for all Ironman and ARB products (including the 5" lift that you want) hence Mr James Moseley will honour ARB and Ironman's warranty (usually it's a 2-year, 50,000km warranty or something like that... and if you manage to somehow break your ARB stuff eg. the shocks, they will replace it free under warranty, no questions asked!)

No other seller for Ironman/ARB in trinidad will honor that kind of warranty. Trust me.

I'm gonna be sourcing a 5" lift kit for my navara from Mr Moseley as well very soon- so he definitely has the stuff.

Plus he has negotiable pricing so give him a call now: 374 9339

sliderz1
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sliderz1 » March 2nd, 2012, 11:08 pm

another Navara lift video, (this time with lift blocks at the rear)
Last edited by sliderz1 on March 5th, 2012, 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

V2NR 3.0
punchin NOS

Postby V2NR 3.0 » March 3rd, 2012, 10:27 pm

There is a black BT that looks real high...anyone know him ?

sliderz1
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sliderz1 » March 3rd, 2012, 11:03 pm

^^this??

wagon r
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz
Location: ......takin it easy on the road we call "Life".....

Postby wagon r » March 5th, 2012, 8:14 pm

Harry from Trailblazers....3" body lift and tyres....that's all...!

droppa
punchin NOS

Postby droppa » March 5th, 2012, 10:29 pm

yup 3" body lift and 33" tires, everything else stock.....

Harry does this 3" body lift for and average of $3000, drop the vehicle and collect back with everything in order, jus pay, drive, and smlie

V2NR 3.0
punchin NOS

Postby V2NR 3.0 » March 6th, 2012, 6:39 am

^ Thats the dam thing self ! - Someone PM me the number nah - I really like this look.

How does he do it though ? Safe ?

rx80
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rx80 » March 6th, 2012, 8:44 am

Hadda be safe after seeing how him and gopaul drive them offroad..

Blackbyrd
Street 2NR

Postby Blackbyrd » March 24th, 2012, 8:32 am

I thought West Bourne Trading was the official Ironman and ARB dealer :?

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » March 25th, 2012, 10:27 am

nope they're not. They're a 3rd party seller.

Mosley Enterprises is the official seller/distributor for ARB and Ironman products. They will offer you authentic and genuine parts, with a fully backed 2year/40,000km warranty once you buy & install with them. FOr example, if you install an ARB/OME suspension kit on your truck, go offroading and somehow break a shock, ARB will replace your broken shock for you, free of charge and no questions asked.

374-9339

www.facebook.com/moseleyenterprises

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby civic minded » March 26th, 2012, 8:21 am

saw a black 2010 thunder on ironman 3' lift in the firm for service the other day....damn that looked so hot.

droppa
punchin NOS

Postby droppa » March 27th, 2012, 10:26 am

^^TCH??

if so it lookin.....

civic minded
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby civic minded » March 27th, 2012, 8:06 pm

^^ i think so - it has 18" rims with AT tires..

rims and tires made the ranger look really aggressive.

sliderz1
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby sliderz1 » March 27th, 2012, 10:58 pm

no pics guys?

dangerousyouth
Riding on 13's

Postby dangerousyouth » June 8th, 2013, 4:39 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370723886.137335.jpg

One day...hopefully....one day lol.

droppa
punchin NOS

Postby droppa » June 12th, 2013, 10:14 am

if anyone intrested in doing either body lifts or suspension lifts (Spacer/Shackle)like what u saw on bad granny, you can pm me, have the pattern for most new pick ups, L200, Nav, Hilux....

IMO, 33" tires is the max one should run, esp if u not into hardcore wheeling on a new truck, larger wheel option place great stress on wheel bearing, suspension components and even cause u to loose power and fuel economy....

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » June 18th, 2013, 10:16 pm

^^ yup.
Running 305/60R18 on my Navara caused my front right wheel bearing to wear quickly - had to replace it at 76,000km.

Not a cheap repair either - the Navara bearing is sealed into the hub, had to buy two new hubs (even though it was only the right side - i prefer to be thorough) .... N&M was asking $3800 + vat for one, I got both at ROC Bamboo for $1470 each vat incl.

I wouldn't recommend running anything larger than 33" on a regular pickup.... even if you have a 9" lift on it.
Gearing will have to be changed, and it's recommended that you upgrade certain things like steering arms, linkages, etc. to prevent these things from breaking due to heavier tire weights.

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”