TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Tech Thread - Nissan Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder.

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
Keegz2130
Street 2NR

Re: Tech Thread - Nissan Frontier, Navara, Pathfinder.

Postby Keegz2130 » October 29th, 2012, 7:48 pm

Im kinda of new dis but ive been readin tru dis whole topic fuh some days , becuz i planin on gettin a navara , wid dis new shipment comin in dec !

are all these probs you guys get on ur vans , are dey taken care of deses new ones ?

and are there any other tings i hada look out for ? first time buyin from N/M tho !

eyeballz
Sweet on this forum

Postby eyeballz » October 30th, 2012, 8:42 am

Keegz2130, in my very short experience (11126km to be exact) with a 1.new vehicle 2.diesel 3.van, the only problem I've ever really had was the pulling to the left, which nm never fixed. they gave me that bogus story about the alignment machine being down. I got that sorted out for myself and never bothered carrying back the bill to try getting reimbursed.

i bought a 4x2 le and kinda wish i just put in the extra to get the 4x4 after spending $4.8k to get fatter tyres (got the rims free :lol: ) and still skating by rushworth street lights on wet roads. they scrape the road to prevent that now tho. n.b. i wanted them for the looks

if you from south and buying, i recommend vishnu thomas, an indian guy with what i thought in trinidad was predominantly negro name :oops: . give him a call at 683-8964. he's very professional and yet goes above and beyond what i anticipated especially after dealing with toyota reps. gave me a few calls (this is apart from an official call from massy) after my purchase asking how the van, and to drive slow etc.

basically my 2 cents is the vans... MY van, is really nice so far, havent had any real bad experience per se with servicing but i've read and heard ppl talk. I'm sure the "older" guys in here could give better advice.

oh and as for getting the issues sorted out in the new 2013 vehicles, most these things as far as i've scn are only discovered after they're road tested (owned)

Rodn3y
Sweet on this forum

Postby Rodn3y » October 30th, 2012, 10:02 am

hey, the navara is very nice right around. i have one for 10,000km now and has given me problems from day one. the firm has given me even more problems to have it fixed under warranty. for the 6 months i've owned the van, the firm has had it for one month fixing it.

i guess its like a lottery when you buy a new vehicle. sometimes you get a real good one and sometimes you get crap. i am really fed up with mine and wish i had bought the Toyota instead, but, with all that has happened i still like my navara.

so good luck. i know you will enjoy it. i think you should buy south as they seem to have better customer service and managers that care about the customer.

4*4 manual fabric interior

trvs
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby trvs » October 30th, 2012, 12:03 pm

I just did 20,000KM on mine. Everything is good so far.. knock on wood.

Servicing tmr in Morvant.

My Specs: 4x4/Auto/Leather.

I recommend Vishnu Thomas as well. Excellent person to deal with.

on another note...
My last new car purchase from another firm, when I went into the showroom to get my quote etc there was a sales rep who didn't seem too interested in my sale.

Two weeks later he was like the fish in this clip when he saw me with the new car. :lol: It was funny.

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » October 30th, 2012, 5:35 pm

Vishnu is one of the best n&m has

jhonnieblue
Riding on 18's

Postby jhonnieblue » October 31st, 2012, 7:36 am

anyone getting issues with their steering rack?
im getting a feed back and noise on the steering wheel...even on relatively smooth roads...very annoying

trvs
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby trvs » October 31st, 2012, 8:22 am

I just dropped off my Navara at N&M in Morvant.

They said they will have to keep it for a couple days :shock: :| :cry:

ravist
3NE 2NR for life

Postby ravist » October 31st, 2012, 9:27 am

andrew, i've had that same steering vibration/noise since 20,000kms, i thought tyres were the culprit but after changing 5 sets, i think that its a problem with ah few of the navs..... i did report it to n&m and as usual, they checked and found no issues.....

jhonnieblue
Riding on 18's

Postby jhonnieblue » October 31st, 2012, 9:30 am

yea i was thinking tires...but cant be that...its an actual noise rattling coming from the column...tires cant cause that..gonna call them now and make some noise in their head

Keegz2130
Street 2NR

Postby Keegz2130 » October 31st, 2012, 6:29 pm

Thanks eyeballz, rodn3y and trvs for d advice ! i will be gettin d 4x4 fully loaded tho , hope d price doesnt raise again wen dey bring in more dec ! and i buyin from morvant so yeah !

trvs
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby trvs » October 31st, 2012, 7:14 pm

^ should go down south man. I initally started my paperwork in Morvant but someone linked me up with Vishnu in south.

TriniVdub
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TriniVdub » October 31st, 2012, 8:46 pm

go to the branch in POS, link up with Kevin, he was my salesman and handled everything for me, good guy.

gready123456
Sweet on this forum

Postby gready123456 » October 31st, 2012, 11:00 pm

jhonnieblue wrote:yea i was thinking tires...but cant be that...its an actual noise rattling coming from the column...tires cant cause that..gonna call them now and make some noise in their head

this rattling is from within the steering wheel housing they need to insulate it happened to my first navara easy fix

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » November 1st, 2012, 8:36 am

Keegz2130 wrote:Thanks eyeballz, rodn3y and trvs for d advice ! i will be gettin d 4x4 fully loaded tho , hope d price doesnt raise again wen dey bring in more dec ! and i buyin from morvant so yeah !

I bought mine from N&M Morvant - ask for Mr. Tirath Ramoutar, he was really good to me and very accomodating.

Tell him Leo sent you, he might organize a lil discount too :)

Keegz2130
Street 2NR

Postby Keegz2130 » November 3rd, 2012, 8:47 pm

okay kool . but at d moment i dealing wid dis guy name gary , cant remba last name tho !! i cant decide if to get d spray on liner or d drop in !
Becuz from readin from dese post d n&m dnt put in d drop in properly soo yeah !

fayad
Street 2NR

Question-new navara owner

Postby fayad » November 4th, 2012, 1:49 pm

I never owned a pickup before. I have one of those masks navara with all the fancy sheit on it. Got sum 305/40/22 on it and about a month ago I tried taking over a car at about 70km/h and my van fish tailed and ran off the road.....easy easy.i had no control. It this how these vans handle?? Can I used 4WD H on highways for added control??? Or would that cause mechanical problems?

fayad
Street 2NR

Question-new navara owner

Postby fayad » November 4th, 2012, 1:52 pm

I never owned a pickup before. I have one of those masks navara with all the fancy sheit on it. Got sum 305/40/22 on it and about a month ago I tried taking over a car at about 70km/h and my van fish tailed and ran off the road.....easy easy.i had no control. It this how these vans handle?? Can I used 4WD H on highways for added control??? Or would that cause mechanical problems?

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » November 4th, 2012, 2:05 pm

that aint normal...u sure the road didn't have oil or something on it?

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » November 4th, 2012, 7:26 pm

fayad wrote:I never owned a pickup before. I have one of those masks navara with all the fancy sheit on it. Got sum 305/40/22 on it and about a month ago I tried taking over a car at about 70km/h and my van fish tailed and ran off the road.....easy easy.i had no control. It this how these vans handle?? Can I used 4WD H on highways for added control??? Or would that cause mechanical problems?

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=400614

check here buddy for all your answers

FilterProz
3NE 2NR for life

Re: Question-new navara owner

Postby FilterProz » November 5th, 2012, 3:54 am

fayad wrote:I never owned a pickup before. I have one of those masks navara with all the fancy sheit on it. Got sum 305/40/22 on it and about a month ago I tried taking over a car at about 70km/h and my van fish tailed and ran off the road.....easy easy.i had no control. It this how these vans handle?? Can I used 4WD H on highways for added control??? Or would that cause mechanical problems?

Hey i owned a maska Navara fully loaded with the same rim setup...never used my 4wd on normal road conditions ...and never really had any traction issues ...and i took that van up to 170km on a clear night on the highway... I did have one slip once the guy washing the van used shock oil and some spilled on rear tires...so most likely you probably came into contact with some oil or something... the thai export navaras like ones sold outside massy in my personal opinion handle much better than the massy navaras....so you should not be fish tailing at 70km ... :shock:

trvs
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby trvs » November 5th, 2012, 7:35 am

The road must have been damp or something. Next time don't panic, follow the vehicle release and apply the accelerator when necessary to counter the oversteer. (I hope I am describing this correctly)

Whip out a PS3 and a rally game to get some practice :D

Hope you didn't damage it.

jhonnieblue
Riding on 18's

Postby jhonnieblue » November 5th, 2012, 8:59 am

gready123456 wrote:
jhonnieblue wrote:yea i was thinking tires...but cant be that...its an actual noise rattling coming from the column...tires cant cause that..gonna call them now and make some noise in their head

this rattling is from within the steering wheel housing they need to insulate it happened to my first navara easy fix

gready how long they take to fix it..i have to drop it in tom morning but studying if to wait or organise a drop to work or take the day off

biggy82
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby biggy82 » November 8th, 2012, 8:55 am

so had an interesting month as my van turned 5 years old

firstly, the transmission shifter cable snapped. the shifter was feeling really "spongy" for about a couple weeks now, but i was not studying it. it snapped while reversing from a garage yard to the main road. when it did, the transmission defaulted to Park and locked up the rear axle. i ended up using a forklift (yes, a forklift) to move the vehicle from the road back into the garage. no new replacement cable anywhere in the country; got one off a crashed TCJ Nav.

then this weekend, i got a crack on the windscreen. with the heat and driving over a couple days, the crack increased from 6" to 18". while removing it, the windscreen developed spiderweb cracks all over. so it seems that it would have shattered eventually. kudos to Clearview Glass in M'bella for having the OEM replacement and sending 2 professional guys to do the swap at my home.

trvs
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby trvs » November 8th, 2012, 11:53 am

oh lawd biggy.

So I did my "PREMIUM 20K Service" last week. :lol:

Massy changed my two front shocks under warranty, they said they were hearing a knocking? :?

I told them the "hand brake light" use to flash/stay on briefly sometimes when I accelerate harshly... so they changed the Brake Master Cylinder. :roll:

The regular stuff was done...

OIL & Filter Change
Two Fuel Filters Changed
Air Filter changed again! (I get on with them for this as it was changed just a month and a half ago :agrue: )
Brake Pads changed
Coolant
Brake fluid
Transmission fluid
lubricate all doors etc... (WD40) :?
etc

Of course they screwed up the alignment/steering again. So I need to check them back to correct that issue, or I'll just go back directly to MasterServ

Grand total of $4000 and change.

Saw the 4x4 MT 40K service is approx 7K AT is approx 5K :drinking:

gready123456
Sweet on this forum

Postby gready123456 » November 8th, 2012, 10:54 pm

jhonnieblue wrote:
gready123456 wrote:

gready how long they take to fix it..i have to drop it in tom morning but studying if to wait or organise a drop to work or take the day off

not long man but NM will not be working on your vechicle alone so it might be a half day at least

jhonnieblue
Riding on 18's

Postby jhonnieblue » November 9th, 2012, 7:32 am

k, dropped it in..took less than a day. they padded the column...changed some bushings on the suspension..oddly enough the day after i got it back battery died sigh
but overall driving much better now...time for 75K service

gready123456
Sweet on this forum

Postby gready123456 » November 9th, 2012, 7:23 pm

jhonnieblue wrote:k, dropped it in..took less than a day. they padded the column...changed some bushings on the suspension..oddly enough the day after i got it back battery died sigh
but overall driving much better now...time for 75K service

second person in a week with battery died after service humm sounds like they swapped it out its a normal thing they do them stinkers mark every thing dude down to the shocks and stuff if u having issues because they will tell u they change it and they wont

last service they charge me for oil ( i carried my own oil ) amsoil they when i asked them about they said oh yes u did bring your oil and that they would refund me my money . Then u went stright to the van and pulled the dipstick oil was clear as water (kendell their oil) so i started to make some noise they called back the person who worked on the van (it was after 4) he said he used kendell . So where is my oil i said ? no one cant answer me up to now

I was going to drop them this service but i am having some issues with left front tire it has some weird wear on it half the radius of the tire close to the outside have some circle spots on it and it had bad alignment i fixed the alingment wating to see it this tire will wear the same way ( i rotated the tire )

any ways if its the same ware pattern i am going to make some noise let them change the shock and bushings then drop them.

jhonnieblue
Riding on 18's

Postby jhonnieblue » November 10th, 2012, 1:37 am

i highly suspect that they did swap it out...was looking for evidence of it but they move good...i saw my deck features tripped out when i picked up the van...the warranty covers it for 3 yrs at a 50% payment for a new battery
might take it up to keep an extra one around
but gonna wash the van and walk thru the engine bay to ensure nothing else was tampered...esp suspension wise...otherwise i gonna have a very long letter written to them...they scratched the finisher inside so a girl working massey helping out by getting them to change it out for free...def gonna be there when they doing that

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Postby lighthammer » November 10th, 2012, 7:12 am

U guys realize where these so called mechanics coming from right? Hint - look at the area where the "Morvant" branch is located.

Heard about them swapping oil before. Normally they use castrol hypuron (which I found made the van sluggish for approx 500km until the oil got broken in). They didn't even use new cases of oil - There's a big barrel in a stock room where they simply carry a couple of the empty 1-gallon bottles, fill them up with the mystery oil and then use the nicely labelled "castrol" or whatever mystery oil in ur truck.

The last time I went by them for an oil change, I made sure I was standin outside the service bay where they could see me observing them... No way was I gonna let some gunta steal my nice, expensive oil that I work hard to buy.

lighthammer
punchin NOS

Re: Question-new navara owner

Postby lighthammer » November 10th, 2012, 8:03 am

Was the road wet? This tjing can happen to any rear wheel drive vehicle, amd especially to Pickups because they are lighter in the back than other vehicles.

Don't use the 4wd on paved, high-traction surfaces. This will put extra strain on ur driveline components. Even though the front and rear differentials on the navara are open-diffs, using 4wd on hard surfaces will cause driveline binding where basically the gears can't handle the load esp when u have to take a corner.

In simple terms - as u take a corner, the inside wheel spins more slowly than the outside wheel. Think of it this way - if a trainer is exercising a racehorse,, and the trainer is making the horse run in circles around him, as the horse trots along the outer circle, the hirses legs move much faster than the jockeys own in the inside circle. Same concept applies to your trucks tyres, hence the differential is designed to allow the inside wheel to spin slower than the outside as the truck takes a corner.

if u try that in 4wd on the highway where u have plenth traction, the center differential which locks up in 4wd Mode so it can transfer power to front and back diffs, will experience enormous strains and u can even break one of the diffs. Offroad is fine, there's enough slip on the loose surface to allow the diffs to spin and they can handle that levelnof stresss.

One time I was offroading and playing in Las cuevas, and forgot to take the navara from 4H to 2h when driving back to maracas, so I drove 7km on hard pavement in 4H. By time I realized I had already reached maracas. Took me 6 tries of reversing hard to get the center diff to unlock back into 2wd. Good thing the nav has open diffs, otherwise there may have been damage.

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”