TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Tech Thread - Ford Ranger

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
rmrunner
Chronic TriniTuner

Re: Tech Thread - Ford Ranger

Postby rmrunner » August 18th, 2015, 6:21 pm

Anyone have any suggestions on a replacement fuel filter other than the Sakura Filter?

Trying to move away from OEM

jessyjames
Ricer

Postby jessyjames » September 8th, 2015, 12:55 pm

2012 3.2 wildtrak- anybody had issues with the EGR valve

Marcel Burkett
Riding on 13's

Postby Marcel Burkett » September 12th, 2015, 3:16 pm

The valve will get stuck in the open position and dump exhaust gas back into the engine , if this is happen it has to be removed serviced/cleaned and replaced , a simple fix for this problem is to delete it!

kriticalkase
Sweet on this forum

Postby kriticalkase » September 12th, 2015, 7:43 pm

Friend of mine had his 2.2 ranger EGR valve stuck. Vehicle had a loss of power and shifted very rough. He took it in to ford. The EGR was changed and all is well. Mileage was at 80000kms. Vehicle is now at 110000kms and working sweet.

kriticalkase
Sweet on this forum

Postby kriticalkase » September 12th, 2015, 7:43 pm

Friend of mine had his 2.2 ranger EGR valve stuck. Vehicle had a loss of power and shifted very rough. He took it in to ford. The EGR was changed and all is well. Mileage was at 80000kms. Vehicle is now at 110000kms and working sweet.

QR20Y11
Riding on 13's

Postby QR20Y11 » October 3rd, 2015, 12:48 pm

L.f a door handle for the new ranger any ideas where I could get one?

jaceson
Street 2NR

Postby jaceson » December 28th, 2015, 10:29 am

The EGR Valve is also stuck in my Ranger.....was reading up on-line and lots of guys been installing a plate infront of the valve and getting better performance wrt, throttle and fuel consumption....anyone here tired this?

http://www.torqtune.co.za/index.php?rou ... uct_id=592

nicholas7129
Sweet on this forum

Postby nicholas7129 » February 11th, 2016, 3:44 pm

Who is the agent for the ford ranger continental tyres?

hong kong phooey
punchin NOS

Postby hong kong phooey » April 3rd, 2016, 5:43 am

Looking for the front passenger side door window mechanism
the gears in my 2007 Ford ranger stripped

luke skywalker
3NE 2NR for life

Postby luke skywalker » April 15th, 2016, 11:16 am

Does the 2010 Ford Ranger have a air condition filter to change? Have asked many people to no avail.

rmrunner
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rmrunner » April 19th, 2016, 8:00 pm

luke skywalker wrote:Does the 2010 Ford Ranger have a air condition filter to change? Have asked many people to no avail.

Nope no cabin filter.

MadCrix
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby MadCrix » August 9th, 2016, 12:13 pm

I have an original glow plug relay for mazda /ford bought at the firm, never used.

if anybody interested in it please call me at 355 7175

thanks

Drastic
Ricer

Postby Drastic » September 5th, 2016, 10:08 pm

zaria wrote:want to clean my intake on a 2012 ranger doing 30,000km
Any advise?

Buy intake seals one time.

improvednewbie
Street 2NR

Postby improvednewbie » September 20th, 2016, 7:05 am

just purchased a 3.2l Limited 2012 ford ranger. Vechile looks and runs great but having slight issues with engine idle. Firstly my electrician tinks the battery is on the way out as I am getting a slight extra roll over on the engine on morning before it starts. Once it starts once it starts perfect after with no hesitation. No smoke nothing on starting. The issue I have is when start if left to idle for a few seconds I will see the rpm gauge fluctuate very slightly from the rest position and I will hear the engine very slightly miss. It almost not noticeable on hearing but looking at the rpm gauge it can be seen. What can be the cause of this.? However if I drive the engine for even a little bit the issue is almost gone. If after I drive a little bit and stop at a traffic lights the idle is normal. Do note at all times the engine idles at a good rpm its just a slight slight fluctuation before being driven. Could this be signs of clogged fuel filters?I changed air filter. Has anyone on this group ever had similiar issues and what are the fix or where can I go. Want this rectified immediately and will pay accordingly. Thank you

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » September 20th, 2016, 11:01 pm

Not sure about this model, but it's a generic enough problem.

Slight fluctuation could be excessive soot/blowby on the intake causing some sticking on the throttle?
Could also be a dirty or clogged egr or dirty maf.
Extended crank time could really be a sign of a dying battery.

Is the service history available, how often were filters changed?

Since this a used truck, I'd do a baseline service to start with a clean slate and mitigate issues with previous owner and maintenance schedules. Do a full service, fluid inspection/change if needed, replace a filters, clean injectors, inspect suspension, etc.

improvednewbie
Street 2NR

Postby improvednewbie » September 21st, 2016, 7:01 am

Thanks very much for the feedback vexxx dogg. I will do full service and change of all filters and fluids and see where it leads. Somehow I am thinking a dirty fuel filter mite be the cause. The engine otherwise works great. The thing is the slight fluctuation very minimal only happend when I now start from cold so Im thinking low fuel pressure. Will give feedback to how things goes with filters change. Don'T believe my model of van comes with egr valves tho. Will also look into cleaning maf with the maf cleaner.

Joshie23
Riding on 16's

Postby Joshie23 » September 21st, 2016, 4:24 pm

improvednewbie wrote:Thanks very much for the feedback vexxx dogg. I will do full service and change of all filters and fluids and see where it leads. Somehow I am thinking a dirty fuel filter mite be the cause. The engine otherwise works great. The thing is the slight fluctuation very minimal only happend when I now start from cold so Im thinking low fuel pressure. Will give feedback to how things goes with filters change. Don'T believe my model of van comes with egr valves tho. Will also look into cleaning maf with the maf cleaner.

A baseline service is always a good idea (my apologies if I sounded hostile in my other response). These Common Rail engines are super sensitive, yes but as Vexxx Dogg said, your problem is generic enough and should be easily solved with simple troubleshooting. Your engine did come with an EGR methinks,

Marcel Burkett wrote:Hi all I own a 3.2 Wildtrak , one year and 15K kilos after she's still as sweet as she was the first day we met ! Please note these vehicles aren't designed to run on our "nasty" diesel , because of the poor fuel quality the EGR valve often sticks open and dumps exhaust back into the intake! The first mod I did was to eliminate it!

This guy apparently blanked his with no problems, so if you'd like, you can contact him to do yours, since you're most likely out of warranty period now in any case. As I said, simple troubleshooting, the Internet and a good mechanic and she should treat you well..I love these trucks..all the best with her bro.

improvednewbie
Street 2NR

Postby improvednewbie » September 27th, 2016, 2:07 pm

I checked my 3.2 liter engine and apparently it doesnt come with a egr valve.Changed fuel filter,air filer and oil etc. Still the same but the van works great otherwise. What i think is the possibility of a failing/failed glow plug . When cold i get the problem slightly to start and once start it mis fires very slightly for a very short period. once warm, it works great. No problem accelerating of making rpm.What do u guys think. Also i read online a failing/failed single glow plug can cause slight hard starting and misfire only when cold.

improvednewbie
Street 2NR

Postby improvednewbie » September 27th, 2016, 3:05 pm

I checked my 3.2 liter engine and apparently it doesnt come with a egr valve.Changed fuel filter,air filer and oil etc. Still the same but the van works great otherwise. What i think is the possibility of a failing/failed glow plug . When cold i get the problem slightly to start and once start it mis fires very slightly for a very short period. once warm, it works great. No problem accelerating of making rpm.What do u guys think. Also i read online a failing/failed single glow plug can cause slight hard starting and misfire only when cold.

kriticalkase
Sweet on this forum

Postby kriticalkase » September 27th, 2016, 8:08 pm

Hey the local 3.2 from ANSA does not have an EGR valve only the 2.2 came with these.
I would recommend you get the van back to the firm and let them do a scan. Even though it may be out of warranty they are ever so often software upgrades which are due to these ranger.
My ranger is currently doing 80,000kms and recently had an upgrade. Usually takes a couple minutes.
If you are interested I can get you some assistance either at the north or south branch.

rmrunner
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rmrunner » September 28th, 2016, 7:55 am

In terms of longer start on the morning, you can check the glow plugs, each supposed to be around 1.2Ohm max, another thing to check is your battery. I had this same problem and when I replaced the battery all was good again. To check if the battery is the problem, check the voltage drop when you crank the vehicle. if the drop is within the 9V range , your battery needs to be replaced.

Keep in mind if these are the problem you will get a slight white smoke on cold startup and diesel scent(unburnt diesel) which illustrated the plugs not heating properly.

@kriticalkase, how much avg price to do that software upgrade?

kriticalkase
Sweet on this forum

Postby kriticalkase » September 28th, 2016, 8:32 pm

The upgrades are done for free. Never had to pay for it or knew anyone who paid for it. Keep in mind the van must be purchased from the local Ford dealer.

For some upgrades you can feel the difference with both tranny and engine

rmrunner
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rmrunner » September 29th, 2016, 8:54 pm

Ok kool, well my van is a local used, plus its the older model but I will inquire about it.

kriticalkase
Sweet on this forum

Postby kriticalkase » September 29th, 2016, 10:14 pm

Hey my mistake but I was making specific reference to the T12 model 2012+.

hong kong phooey
punchin NOS

Postby hong kong phooey » October 10th, 2016, 6:45 am

guys i need some help
my ranger 2007 2.5 tdci 4x4 shut down a couple weeks ago going up the highway
i looking for some from south side to check it

it appears to be a fuel pump issue,
does any one know where the fuel pump fuse or relay is located for this model.
it does not appear to have power going to the fuel pump if i checked the lines correctly . but i cannot find the fuse or relay box for it .

rmrunner
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rmrunner » October 10th, 2016, 12:07 pm

The fuse is a 20A(INJ) located in the main fuse box in the engine bay , located close to the battery.

Another thing you can check is your crankshaft position sensor located on the bell housing of the transmission, sometimes this can become slack and not line up with the flywheel to engage the start permissive. Also the fuel rail sensor is a common problem on these rangers.

My advice if its not the fuse or the sensor, get the vehicle scan, and you will know if its sensors or mechanical issues.

On a furthur note, here is the wiring diagram for the 2006-2008 ranger and also the same year BT 50.

http://v12.dyndns.org/Ford/Ranger/Range ... Manual.pdf

hong kong phooey
punchin NOS

Postby hong kong phooey » October 12th, 2016, 7:23 am

thanks rmrunner
i did a scan with my diagnostic machine and it did show a crankshaft position sensor.
I checked it for tightness and it seemed ok . i did not reset the fault as yet .
Will this also cause it to shut down while driving?

rmrunner
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rmrunner » October 12th, 2016, 7:49 am

Yes, crankshaft sensors mostly fail when driving and the vehicle cannot re start for a while. This is also a common problem with nissan engines. My advice to you before you clear the code, is pull out the sensor and spray CRC Contact Cleaner on it and wipe with a rag. then re install and clear the code. I have done this already with no problems.

You just have to take your time because of the location of the sensor. Most of the time you can only get 2 fingers in that space. It is located on the lower left side of the bell housing. It has a small shield blocking access which you need to remove first. then you will see the sensor. Unplug the wire harness,then it has a 10mm Bolt holding the sensor in place, take a spanner and remove then pull the sensor straight out, clean and re install.

If the error still appears, then you need to replace the sensor. It is basically a position sensor. Ford never has parts but I am sure you will get it at southern sales. Tell them you want the Crankshaft position sensor for the 2.5 2008 BT 50 common rail engine. But try cleaning it first .

Original Part is made by BOSCH. This is the mazda part number: WE01-18-221

hong kong phooey
punchin NOS

Postby hong kong phooey » October 14th, 2016, 7:18 am

Actually i made a mistake
I was now coming to write down the part number and i noticed it is actually the camshaft position sensor A which i got as the error code.
i took out the crank shaft seensor and it was clean .
I will check and see if i can locate the cam shaft position sensor
i reset and the fault came back.

rmrunner
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rmrunner » October 14th, 2016, 1:05 pm

Oh Ok. Well the Camshaft position sensor is located next to the cam shaft. Facing the engine from the front, remove the top cover. On the left side top you will see the sensor mounted to the side, check the wiring first and make sure all is proper and you can also take this out and try to clean it. Another good inspection is undo the timing cover and verify the timing belt is still there and tensioned.

Mazda Part # for Cam Shaft Sensor : WE01-18-230

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”