TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Recomendations for 4x4 tyres

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
PariaMan
punchin NOS

Re: Recomendations for 4x4 tyres

Postby PariaMan » September 11th, 2017, 1:19 pm

Yes I have 275/65/17 . Seems to be max without lifting . Who did your lifting?

Jimbo
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Jimbo » September 11th, 2017, 1:30 pm

PariaMan wrote:Yes I have 275/65/17 . Seems to be max without lifting . Who did your lifting?

Man like turbohead!

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » September 11th, 2017, 1:32 pm

Ok cool. Any difference in ride? I am assuming body lift

Jimbo
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Jimbo » September 14th, 2017, 12:05 pm

PariaMan wrote:Ok cool. Any difference in ride? I am assuming body lift

OME Suspension lift, rides better than stock IMO, I was getting better traction around corners with the same wheel/tyre combo

Black Scorpion
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Black Scorpion » September 19th, 2017, 11:20 am

Hey has anyone ever used PowerTrac all terrain tyres?

Dgsm2789
Street 2NR

Postby Dgsm2789 » September 21st, 2017, 4:43 pm

Currently have bridgestone dueler ht 255 70 16, currently doing 70,000 plus kms on them. And they still can do another 15,000. $1200 each. Got my money worth, trust me. Good tyres.

Dgsm2789
Street 2NR

Postby Dgsm2789 » September 21st, 2017, 4:48 pm

rmrunner wrote:
*KRONIK* wrote:
rmrunner wrote:
kamakazi wrote:
rmrunner wrote:By Chance anyone have the older model Ranger or BT 50 in here. Reason I am asking is, I find my front tires tend to wear on the both outsides really quick. these are on the stock rims. I rotate them but if they stay too long in the front it keeps getting the same way. Also what is a good alignment place for these Vans. I went MM and they aligned it properly the first time, after that they never aligned properly. The van itself tends to feel like its pulling to left when i reach around 80, especially if during the day I can feel like if its ready to push off the road.

Tyre Pressures: 32psi Cold Front(reaches 35psi Hot) 30psi Cold Rear(No load)(reaches 33psi Hot)

Current Tires : Firestone Destination AT( the both rear tires got 66xxxKm and still has about 40% Life) (the front tires just not making it past 20xxxKm without wearing)

Also looking to change a set soon, can anyone recommend another good brand AT to choose from and where to purchase? Thanks

How hard do you corner
Has the suspension been checked.

Not sure how true but I heard that vehicles are designed to slowly steer away from oncoming traffic (so a right hand drive car should slowly steer to the left) in the event that if the driver falls asleep and their hands come off the steering wheel there is less chance of a collision with traffic from the oncoming lane.

Hope you get it sorted

The most I corner is about 65. Suspension checked and replaced everything in front down to cradle bushings. But the pull is still there and makes the vehicle unstable in my opinion. Only option I seeing is the alignment always going off and I need to find a good place to sort it out. Any suggestions other than MM?

Thats is a common problem
There is an adjustment to me made to the steering box itself during alignment.
Its a lengtht procedure as the battery and battery stand need to be removed.
I had it fixed in my ranger and it worked fine after.

Sounding like there is a solution after all, what adjustment was made to the steering box and who does it? Only adjustment I made already is adjusting the box, this is back off the lock nut and turn clockwise with a flat head, when the steering gets too much play.

This problem comes from uneven torsion bar adjustment and camber. The alignment guys camber them by adjusting torsion bars (shortcut). Adjust torsion bars so that space from tyre to fender trim is even in both sides, then camber with the shims. Problem solved. I had that problem straight out southern sales, sorted out myself. No pulls or sways.

badart
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby badart » September 21st, 2017, 5:18 pm

Jimbo wrote:275/70/17 on a Hilux

How comfortable are these tires being Load E? I went with Load C KO2 and they are really comfortable.

Jimbo
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Jimbo » September 21st, 2017, 5:27 pm

badart wrote:

How comfortable are these tires being Load E? I went with Load C KO2 and they are really comfortable.

They're a lot heavier but a lot more comfortable. It feels like I'm driving a big truck now, don't really feel the small undulations or manhole covers anymore. Everything like that absorbed

rmrunner
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rmrunner » September 22nd, 2017, 11:17 am

Dgsm2789 wrote:This problem comes from uneven torsion bar adjustment and camber. The alignment guys camber them by adjusting torsion bars (shortcut). Adjust torsion bars so that space from tyre to fender trim is even in both sides, then camber with the shims. Problem solved. I had that problem straight out southern sales, sorted out myself. No pulls or sways.

Ok thanks, but I normally do this adjustment already because as soon as the front end begin to sag the tyres rub on the inside of the fender shield on lock. What is the best place you went that aligned properly?

Dgsm2789
Street 2NR

Postby Dgsm2789 » September 22nd, 2017, 3:52 pm

rmrunner wrote:
Dgsm2789 wrote:This problem comes from uneven torsion bar adjustment and camber. The alignment guys camber them by adjusting torsion bars (shortcut). Adjust torsion bars so that space from tyre to fender trim is even in both sides, then camber with the shims. Problem solved. I had that problem straight out southern sales, sorted out myself. No pulls or sways.

Ok thanks, but I normally do this adjustment already because as soon as the front end begin to sag the tyres rub on the inside of the fender shield on lock. What is the best place you went that aligned properly?

Where are you located? When u release the steering while driving does it spring to the side its pulling on or does it gradually veer to that side?

badart
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby badart » September 22nd, 2017, 5:21 pm

Jimbo wrote:
badart wrote:

They're a lot heavier but a lot more comfortable. It feels like I'm driving a big truck now, don't really feel the small undulations or manhole covers anymore. Everything like that absorbed

Cool next time I might go with 275/285

rmrunner
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rmrunner » September 22nd, 2017, 5:36 pm

Dgsm2789 wrote:Where are you located? When u release the steering while driving does it spring to the side its pulling on or does it gradually veer to that side?

Gradually veer but not that bad to talk about. The pull comes into effect at a speed about 80 on the highway on a hot windy day. it pushes from the right to the left. At night van works excellent no pull , especially the acceleration is even better.

Right now the tyres done wear down on the outer so that it needs replacing, so aligning may not do much. I will get a pic up when i get chance. When I was watching some pictures on google it looks like toe wear on the tyres.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » September 22nd, 2017, 8:51 pm

Dgsm2789 wrote:Currently have bridgestone dueler ht 255 70 16, currently doing 70,000 plus kms on them. And they still can do another 15,000. $1200 each. Got my money worth, trust me. Good tyres.

684ii or 840? Or some other model dueler

mitch1980
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby mitch1980 » September 23rd, 2017, 9:08 am

kamakazi wrote:
Dgsm2789 wrote:Currently have bridgestone dueler ht 255 70 16, currently doing 70,000 plus kms on them. And they still can do another 15,000. $1200 each. Got my money worth, trust me. Good tyres.

i am sure its the 840 ii
those have better treadware

Joshie23
Riding on 16's

Postby Joshie23 » September 23rd, 2017, 11:55 am

rmrunner wrote:
Dgsm2789 wrote:Where are you located? When u release the steering while driving does it spring to the side its pulling on or does it gradually veer to that side?

Gradually veer but not that bad to talk about. The pull comes into effect at a speed about 80 on the highway on a hot windy day. it pushes from the right to the left. At night van works excellent no pull , especially the acceleration is even better.

Right now the tyres done wear down on the outer so that it needs replacing, so aligning may not do much. I will get a pic up when i get chance. When I was watching some pictures on google it looks like toe wear on the tyres.

I know this isn't an alignment thread so forgive me guys but I've also noticed that my SUV gives me a vibration on the steering between 100-120 km/h in the heat of the day, but it's absent in the night. Perhaps the heat on the road surface causes some warping of the tires, highlighted further by our 'not too hundred' suspension. I have some suspension work to do as well before I replace my front tires that are <1 yr old, but I notice some play on the steering at times, vehicle feels a bit loose so I took it to the big alignment/tire place in Union Hall to get a thorough diagnosis; they told me my big cradle bushings were bad (which I already knew) and that they wouldn't be able to diagnose further until I get them replaced..which was a bit confusing to me. Im not playing advocate but given the fact that they're highly recommended made it a bit weird for me..

Dgsm2789
Street 2NR

Postby Dgsm2789 » September 23rd, 2017, 12:48 pm

kamakazi wrote:

684 II. They come oem on some vehicles

Dgsm2789
Street 2NR

Postby Dgsm2789 » September 23rd, 2017, 12:51 pm

rmrunner wrote:

Align by glen in cocoyea san fdo

rmrunner
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rmrunner » September 23rd, 2017, 5:47 pm

This is the front left side. If you see the outer edge almost smooth compare to the rest of tyre. The right side tyre is not this bad but still uneven in terms of outer edges lower than inner. Currently running 32psi cool
Attachments
_20170923_174331.JPG

Dgsm2789
Street 2NR

Postby Dgsm2789 » September 23rd, 2017, 5:55 pm

That look like a camber problem b. Firestone destination at. Toe in dont really look like that. What size though? Im sure it Must make noise when u corner with a couple persons in van.

rmrunner
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rmrunner » September 23rd, 2017, 6:13 pm

265 70 16 on stock rims. The torsion bar cranked a bit but even to stop rubbing. So the Glen guy has the equipment and knowledge to fix this? How far in from Mon repos gas station

Dgsm2789
Street 2NR

Postby Dgsm2789 » September 23rd, 2017, 7:09 pm

rmrunner wrote:265 70 16 on stock rims. The torsion bar cranked a bit but even to stop rubbing. So the Glen guy has the equipment and knowledge to fix this? How far in from Mon repos gas station

Walking distance. Its about 6 or 7 buildings from gas station heading east.
But you need to ensure distance is the same from fender trim to center of rim on both sides. Then when you go tell them camber with shims, dont adjust torsion bar. But you should put the back tyres in front if they better (more evenly worn)

rmrunner
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rmrunner » September 23rd, 2017, 11:51 pm

Nah bro. I did that before and I took a corner on a wet road and the back start to drift me off the road. Will change the two front for now if anything. A full set in due time.

Dgsm2789
Street 2NR

Postby Dgsm2789 » September 24th, 2017, 6:25 am

rmrunner wrote:Nah bro. I did that before and I took a corner on a wet road and the back start to drift me off the road. Will change the two front for now if anything. A full set in due time.

If you dont off road much, why dont you use the highway terrain instead of all terrain? Traction better on wet roads and it lasts almost twice as long.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » September 24th, 2017, 8:32 am

Joshie23 wrote:
rmrunner wrote:

I know this isn't an alignment thread so forgive me guys but I've also noticed that my SUV gives me a vibration on the steering between 100-120 km/h in the heat of the day, but it's absent in the night. Perhaps the heat on the road surface causes some warping of the tires, highlighted further by our 'not too hundred' suspension. I have some suspension work to do as well before I replace my front tires that are <1 yr old, but I notice some play on the steering at times, vehicle feels a bit loose so I took it to the big alignment/tire place in Union Hall to get a thorough diagnosis; they told me my big cradle bushings were bad (which I already knew) and that they wouldn't be able to diagnose further until I get them replaced..which was a bit confusing to me. Im not playing advocate but given the fact that they're highly recommended made it a bit weird for me..

If there are parts that need replacing which can cause an alignment issue you need to have it replaced. Yes they can probably do the alignment on your vehicle with the faulty part, but it wouldn't hold for very long.
You need to isolate variables to identify what is causing your problem...
They aren't miracle workers or did I miss the point of your post.

Joshie23
Riding on 16's

Postby Joshie23 » September 24th, 2017, 9:42 am

kamakazi wrote:If there are parts that need replacing which can cause an alignment issue you need to have it replaced. Yes they can probably do the alignment on your vehicle with the faulty part, but it wouldn't hold for very long.
You need to isolate variables to identify what is causing your problem...
They aren't miracle workers or did I miss the point of your post.

I think you missed my point. I didn't go get my alignment sorted out, as I was aware that there were components that needed replacing. A thorough diagnosis to isolate said components so as to effect the necessary repairs and then align was what I went to do, reason being I went by a suspension tech who failed to inform me of certain things that needed to be addressed that I ended up noticing when I went under my vehicle for myself, to do some other work (that the Union Hall folks also failed to make mention of), so I decided to try someone a bit more professional, hence my visit there. I didn't expect a miracle; tell me everything that you see is bad, let's replace them and if the problem(s) persist, then we troubleshoot further as we would have ruled out other possible root causes.

rmrunner
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rmrunner » September 24th, 2017, 12:50 pm

From this it looks like toe but when I go to align will see what's off
Attachments
12438962_1015570545152669_3575637356735123875_n (1).jpg

Dgsm2789
Street 2NR

Postby Dgsm2789 » September 24th, 2017, 4:17 pm

rmrunner wrote:From this it looks like toe but when I go to align will see what's off

Well from this it looks like toe wear, same u indicated before. Had the same wear on a pickup and it turned out to be camber. So i guess when its on the machine you'll know

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » September 25th, 2017, 1:38 am

@Joshie23
If I understand what you are saying... You went by Mack they told you to fix one problem instead of identifying everything wrong with your suspension.

Joshie23
Riding on 16's

Postby Joshie23 » September 25th, 2017, 12:26 pm

kamakazi wrote:@Joshie23
If I understand what you are saying... You went by Mack they told you to fix one problem instead of identifying everything wrong with your suspension.

That's basically it, and then when I replace the cradle bushings, come back for them to then 'continue' the diagnosis.

Dgsm2789 wrote:
rmrunner wrote:From this it looks like toe but when I go to align will see what's off

Well from this it looks like toe wear, same u indicated before. Had the same wear on a pickup and it turned out to be camber. So i guess when its on the machine you'll know

My left front tire is cutting the same way, looking like toe wear, when it's actually a camber issue, from what my suspension tech told me. Apparently the previous owner replaced the camber bolt with an inferior one. So from my little knowledge, there's that bolt and a missing flange bolt to replace, two big cradle bushings and I'm hearing a CV joint making some noise. Align and then I'll be looking for two tires for the front as the back ones are still in excellent condition.

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”