Help anyone

granpa

Help anyone

Postby granpa » February 16th, 2008, 3:49 pm

Recently heard a sort of knocking sound that goes on for 5-10 seconds when the vehicle is started. Electrican told me that it was the electrical unit for the glow plugs that is bad. Can anyone confirm? Its a Mitsu L200 4x4 non turb

Stuckindmud

Postby Stuckindmud » February 18th, 2008, 11:05 pm

Do you hear the noise while tumbling ?

Re: Help anyone

Postby wagon r » February 19th, 2008, 6:38 am

granpa wrote:Recently heard a sort of knocking sound that goes on for 5-10 seconds when the vehicle is started. Electrican told me that it was the electrical unit for the glow plugs that is bad. Can anyone confirm? Its a Mitsu L200 4x4 non turb

...buy him a drink because he's right.....i had that same problem when i had my L2.

i never got it fixed but what happens is that the relay for the plugs goes bad and i believe when you go to start the van, the signal sent to the plugs, kinda never reaches them, even though the light on the dash goes out.

hence, the relay box keeps sending a signal, which is why you keep hearing the relay knocking on and off.....

honestly, that is my theory for the problem, but i would advise getting it fixed because you will end up destroyin the plugs and the van will give real horrors to cold start and so on..

i cyar tell you where to get one, yuh could try diamond or hunt the scrap yards lookin for a crash van.

granpa

Postby granpa » February 19th, 2008, 12:39 pm

Thanks, Wagon r but is it the small cylindrical shaped thing with 4 wires running into it that is located next to the engine fuse box or is it the unit that that is near the front of the engine by the tappet pan? A mechanic told me to only connect it to start when the engine is cold. Disconnected the wire when the engine was hot however, the noise is still there, only softer and sounding tick, tick, tick. When its pluged in it sounds like the indicator noise. I noticed some screws on the cylindrical shaped thing. Could this be opened and serviced?

Postby wagon r » February 19th, 2008, 1:06 pm

pallie to be honest, i never touched it nor fixed it. i sold the van as is with it tickin away....but the guy who bought it, mechanic by trade....said that he studyin that, that will fix.

a friend of mine told me to by pass it all together and just install a remote switch in the cab, to do baiscally what your mechanic told you, press the switch to cold start and turn it off after.

i believe it's the unit near the front, on the left hand side, mounted on the inner fender, close to the battery.....well that's where mine was...

granpa

Postby granpa » February 20th, 2008, 11:50 am

thanks wagon r i think that i will take the vehicle to diamond with the hope that they can fix whatever it is. this would probably cost me less time and money than running all over the place (hopefully) What is difficult to handle is that the vehicle is just over 3 years.

Postby wagon r » February 20th, 2008, 3:18 pm

when mine happen, the van was 9 going on 10yrs.....

...one thing though.....know is Diamond price yuh payin. :!:

granpa

Postby granpa » February 20th, 2008, 9:22 pm

i hear you wagon r. i may be able to sell the van to pay them. thanks for all the info.