TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
kamakazi
punchin NOS

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby kamakazi » July 27th, 2019, 1:21 pm

SHarripersad wrote:
SHarripersad wrote:Kun26r-prpsy rotor warp. Toyota grinds and a few months later it warps, so it gets replaced under warranty. Replacment warped, I got it grinded and its a matter of time before it warps again. There is a hot cold explanation for this, but for decades of driving, I. Never had this issue on Ford and Nissan vehicles. Can anyone guide?

So I replaced the rotors with aftermarket debe 600 a pair, my
Partner got them 40k already without warp issues thus far so I went on his word and got a new set for mines
Also change the brakes to hi-q 400 for the set. Hope it can last like or near the original
I said this you before and I will say it again.

Improper transfer of pad material to the rotor, can be the cause of your problem. (Essentially improper bedding in process)

You having those rotors turned (cut) just cleans them for you to start the process again but it also thins out the rotor which can actually make it easier to warp.

Rapid temp changes are also bad, like having an under wash or wetting the rotors after a spirited drive.

I've never used hi-q pads so can't speak to how aggressive they are. Generally organic brake pads are gentler on rotors but you do sacrifice some longevity and braking performance when they get very hot.

It could be you are using too much brakes

220000kms(95000 on the original pads from New and Bosch every 40000kms from that point) and 93000(still original pads) on original rotors says your doing something wrong.
It could be a bad batch... Who knows.
Last edited by kamakazi on July 27th, 2019, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » July 27th, 2019, 8:38 pm

I drove thru water on monroe rd and mine start vibrating after.
Swapped them out for DBA t2 slotted.
Using OEM disc pads.
No warping or vibrating so far.

SHarripersad
Riding on 13's

Postby SHarripersad » July 28th, 2019, 6:48 am

I thing something is really really wrong. I don't drive aggressively and drive on highways once a month, most of my driving is in the country which below 80km/hr driving. I usually wait like an 1hr in line before getting the hilux underwashed. Always used oem before changing to aftermarket rotors and hiq pads. U know, the symptoms and issues are exact same on 5 of the other hilux in the family, from TCU TO TDE series. I tell u something wrong, I don't think it's a user issue here. I think the hilux oem rotors are just failures. I am not an auto tech so not really sure about all of this, except for we have been seeing the warp issues with the oem rotors on 5 of the hilux that we got.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » July 28th, 2019, 12:11 pm

You are correct, the rotors in the hilux is a major weak point.
Some ppl get it worst than others.
Even more failures on the 3.0 models.
I know many people who have experienced similar issues.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » July 28th, 2019, 4:20 pm

About the 5 vehicles. can you tell me what combinations they currently use.

aftermarket slotted rotors and ohk pads
Or
DBA rotors with Wagner pads.
It would be good to know.

My Current combinations are
-TCF 2.5 hilux (small rotors and pads):
OEM rotors/Bosch pads
-TCZ 2.5 Hilux (larger rotors and pads): OEM rotors/OEM pads

The 3.0 has the biggest rotors and pads of the Vigo Hilux generation.

Also, Slotted rotors clean the surface of the pad making it harder to glaze, but also wear out pads faster.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/t ... ?techid=85

SHarripersad
Riding on 13's

Postby SHarripersad » July 28th, 2019, 5:46 pm

All 5 vehicles bought from Toyota San Fernando KUN26R-PRPSY. 3.0 4x4. All came with factory oem rotors that warped. Grind warped grind warp replaced with 43512-0k090 warped grind warp - then like oh gosh man and finally after market one installed. My partner Hilux doing 40k with the after market one (600 for the pair) without it warping yet.

Someone said try 43512-0K140 but I don't have confidence. Anyone had luck with the 43512-0K140?

It's not a wet ane cold issue, I have being owning many many vehicles for years with high mileage and not a warping issue encountered. THIS is not a Beeding issue. I have change pads on many other vehicles for years. THIS IS A HILUX FAULT.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » July 29th, 2019, 7:09 am

Like i mentioned before, its a flaw on the 3.0 hilux. Replacing with OEM does not seem to help as it would seem the rotors themselves are the problem, not sure if its the material used or what, but they seem to fail prematurely.

You really badlucky tho; 5 3.0 hilix and all had rotor failures?

mitch1980
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby mitch1980 » July 31st, 2019, 10:02 am

SHarripersad wrote:All 5 vehicles bought from Toyota San Fernando KUN26R-PRPSY. 3.0 4x4. All came with factory oem rotors that warped. Grind warped grind warp replaced with 43512-0k090 warped grind warp - then like oh gosh man and finally after market one installed. My partner Hilux doing 40k with the after market one (600 for the pair) without it warping yet.

Someone said try 43512-0K140 but I don't have confidence. Anyone had luck with the 43512-0K140?

It's not a wet ane cold issue, I have being owning many many vehicles for years with high mileage and not a warping issue encountered. THIS is not a Beeding issue. I have change pads on many other vehicles for years. THIS IS A HILUX FAULT.

Hey I bought a new 3.0 L 4x4 auto in 2011. I racked up 244,000 km with them and at the 75,000 km intervals I did a minor polish of the rotors. Original rotors kept for my 8 year use.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » August 7th, 2019, 1:54 am

So hilarious coincidence today
I went to get a Bosch oil filter to do an oil change on my Hilux. I requested a Bosch 3330 oil filter but was given a 3033 oil filter. My tired self didn't realise the difference until I got home. Funny thing is the filter fits (going to give it a try to see how well it works); and I didn't even tell the salesperson what vehicle the filter was for.

So the technical data
US Bosch filter numbers don't correlate to Bosch filter numbers from the UK
1. Bosch US 3330 = Purolator L10241 = Bosch UK P2044 (0 986 452 044)[not 100% on this last one]: These filters are slightly shorter than the OEM
2. Bosch US 3422 = Purolator L20195 = Valvoline VO1 = Bosch UK P3314 (0 451 103 314)[not 100% on this one]: These filters are slightly longer than the OEM
3. Bosch UK 3033 = Fram PH2870A: These filters are similar to all filters listed under #2 with the only difference being the higher bypass valve pressure.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » August 7th, 2019, 3:36 pm

you got these locally ?
how do you determine how well it works ?

kamakazi wrote:So hilarious coincidence today
I went to get a Bosch oil filter to do an oil change on my Hilux. I requested a Bosch 3330 oil filter but was given a 3033 oil filter. My tired self didn't realise the difference until I got home. Funny thing is the filter fits (going to give it a try to see how well it works); and I didn't even tell the salesperson what vehicle the filter was for.

So the technical data
US Bosch filter numbers don't correlate to Bosch filter numbers from the UK
1. Bosch US 3330 = Purolator L10241 = Bosch UK P2044 (0 986 452 044)[not 100% on this last one]: These filters are slightly shorter than the OEM
2. Bosch US 3422 = Purolator L20195 = Valvoline VO1 = Bosch UK P3314 (0 451 103 314)[not 100% on this one]: These filters are slightly longer than the OEM
3. Bosch UK 3033 = Fram PH2870A: These filters are similar to all filters listed under #2 with the only difference being the higher bypass valve pressure.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » August 8th, 2019, 12:02 am

The pl20195 (p is just the pure one version) was bought on Amazon in the early days. The l10241 was purchased locally. Both Fram and Valvoline filters can be purchased locally (Fram xg2870a has metal end caps versus the cardboard on the ph2870a). The Bosch filters can be purchased locally as well but not the American market ones.

To be honest...I don't know how good any of them really work... Don't have money to do oil analysis.
But if they do a half decent job... It will work until my next oil change.

I will continue to observe... It is working so far

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » August 8th, 2019, 7:18 am

But a oem filter is like 90 dollars by ROC, why go thru all that drama with varying brands and uncertainty, whe you can spend a $30 more and get an original filter?

Just asking eh, not bashing

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » August 8th, 2019, 2:28 pm

*KRONIK* wrote:But a oem filter is like 90 dollars by ROC, why go thru all that drama with varying brands and uncertainty, whe you can spend a $30 more and get an original filter?

Just asking eh, not bashing
65 dollars more in my case . Doesn't sound like much... But if I say that is how much my last gallon of oil cost(the price has since gone up so this is cheating a little ), or a second or even a third filter... But I get your point.

In the earlies the firm used to charge like 200+ for an oil filter, and I started buying aftermarket and never checked again.

I also don't like those made in Thailand 90915-20003 filters. If I can find those made in Japan ones I wouldn't hesitate at that price; but the Thailand ones are a step down in quality so I don't bother wasting my money on what I consider an inferior product.

I also like to let people know that there are decent after market alternatives... This being a tech thread. cause OEM pricing is ridiculous sometimes.

sweeks
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby sweeks » August 10th, 2019, 9:02 pm

Guys any recommendations for a reverse camera for a 2011 Hilux?

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » August 11th, 2019, 8:04 am

Using the one that came with the deck i bought from fuzz.

Working good, no complaints.
Not very sensitive in the dark tho.

20190811_080405.jpeg

SHarripersad
Riding on 13's

Postby SHarripersad » August 11th, 2019, 12:10 pm

There is an issue with camera mounted by the bumper and number plate area. Gets dirty and vision gets blurred quickly. Get the type that mounts on the back tail gate

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » August 11th, 2019, 9:07 pm

i have my own mounted just above the number plate, its really protected by the bumper over hang and stays clean

mitch1980
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby mitch1980 » August 12th, 2019, 1:58 pm

SHarripersad wrote:There is an issue with camera mounted by the bumper and number plate area. Gets dirty and vision gets blurred quickly. Get the type that mounts on the back tail gate

so in my previous Hilux I had the camera mounted on the number plate and even though it worked well the view is limited to lower levels.

when I changed Hilux I got a camera mounted on the Tail Gate which gave a 170 degree angle view as well showing objects I missed with the number plate mounted camera.

the Tailgate mounted camera also get dirty but not as much the one mounted on the number plate.
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2019-08-20 at 10.50.42 AM(1).jpeg
Last edited by mitch1980 on August 20th, 2019, 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » August 15th, 2019, 11:59 am

Safe and dry there , almost never gets dirty
20190815_115702.jpeg
20190815_115806.jpeg

sweeks
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby sweeks » August 15th, 2019, 8:39 pm

Thanks guys. Am seeing the Oem type on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Rear-View- ... 2693114774

sweeks
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby sweeks » August 16th, 2019, 6:24 am

Ques: does the 4x2 Hilux suffer from the same rotor issues as the 4x4?

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » August 16th, 2019, 6:47 am

Not from what i have seen so far
sweeks wrote:Ques: does the 4x2 Hilux suffer from the same rotor issues as the 4x4?

ADONI
18 pounds of Boost

Postby ADONI » August 16th, 2019, 7:32 am

sweeks
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby sweeks » August 19th, 2019, 9:22 pm

Pretty decent camera option there .... Might get one of those but not for the Hilux tho.....

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » October 13th, 2019, 9:31 pm

As I approach 100000Kms I am breaking up the big service job into smaller bits

Fuel Filter
First to go was the fuel filter, the last one being run for 65000Kms. It looked dirty but I think that will be my service interval going forward unless the dashboard indicator lights tell me to change it before that. The fuel recently looks cleaner; it has less water but seems to have more asphaltene as evidenced by the chunks that came out of the canister.

still have to tackle
Rear/Front Diff oil: planning to use synthetic this time because of the lower viscosities available; If i find any conventional in a lower viscosity I would use that. Transfer case was done on a slightly different schedule and replaced with Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear lube LS.

Transmission Fluid: Mobil equivalent of Toyota type IV

Grease Driveshafts: Normally done every oil change or if I have a splash through some water

Injector Cleaning: Might run some diesel purge through the system soon.

Air filter: That is simple enough to do

Intake cleaning: To be done just before oil change; not planning to chuck heaps of intake cleaner down the intake but will spray some now and again. Not a fan of dumping heaps of cleaner down the intake to clean carbon deposits as those same deposits do not burn and seem so accelerate cylinder and ring wear. (not planning to remove the intake system to do right now)

Brakes: Still have original brake pads but they are pretty worn; I am still waiting on the wear indicator to make a little noise before I change them

If anything else comes to mind...I will work on that

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » October 14th, 2019, 6:19 am

Waw

You brave hoss.

65000kms on the fuel filter?

I does change oil/fuel filters every 5k. I aint playing that with our watery and poor quality diesel.

For my 100k, which was 2weeks ago.
I changed cylinder cover gasket, oil seals and injector line sleeves.
Only the main gasket was leaking, but i figured, if the cover is off, might as well change out all the pieces.

I also did a clean out on the rear drums
Brake cleaner and spray it out completely, cleaned out the drums, scuffed them with sandpaper and re-greased the backing and re-installed them.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 14th, 2019, 6:38 pm

I been changing mine every 10k
Except most recently when I never got around to it and ended up changing it at the next oil change
So it was 15k.

Did not seem much dirtier than other prior changes since we switched to imported fuel.
I have not found any water when draining the canister since we have been importing fuel,
I only buy at flour mills.

I prob will switch to a 15k interval. Or at least drain canister before deciding to change filter.

Before with the petrotrin made fuel, it was much dirtier and would find a half teaspoon of watery crud on 10k worth.

I saw online that some Prados have an external filter also near to the fuel tank.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » October 15th, 2019, 6:57 am

*KRONIK* wrote:Waw

You brave hoss.

65000kms on the fuel filter?

I does change oil/fuel filters every 5k. I aint playing that with our watery and poor quality diesel.

For my 100k, which was 2weeks ago.
I changed cylinder cover gasket, oil seals and injector line sleeves.
Only the main gasket was leaking, but i figured, if the cover is off, might as well change out all the pieces.

I also did a clean out on the rear drums
Brake cleaner and spray it out completely, cleaned out the drums, scuffed them with sandpaper and re-greased the backing and re-installed them.

I believed in the system to tell me otherwise. I've had the warning light come on to replace a fuel filter in 12000kms. The light hasn't come on since but I think 65000kms is more than enough.

Also I have to do cabin filter

Youngstar1989
Street 2NR

Postby Youngstar1989 » October 16th, 2019, 5:00 pm

Guys, i a 2013 vigo from Rampersad. The engine sounds very loud almost as if it has a knock. My mechanic said its normal for the hilux, but for me its alot louder than before and other vehicles. Can anyone advise on how to stop this?
My hilux is having a delay when i accelerate aggressively before it picks up. This never happened before. Any ideas why?

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » October 16th, 2019, 5:18 pm

Try and get it scanned

See if any trouble codes showing up
Youngstar1989 wrote:Guys, i a 2013 vigo from Rampersad. The engine sounds very loud almost as if it has a knock. My mechanic said its normal for the hilux, but for me its alot louder than before and other vehicles. Can anyone advise on how to stop this?
My hilux is having a delay when i accelerate aggressively before it picks up. This never happened before. Any ideas why?

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”