TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
pugboy
TunerGod

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby pugboy » December 10th, 2019, 5:09 pm

how difficult to do the power steering fluid change ?
i need to do that.

kamakazi wrote:Back to servicing the Tonka truck.

Changed brake pads to Bosch; still bedding them in. Better initial bite than oem so far. Also drained some brake fluid and refilled with ferodo DOT4.

Drained and refilled ATF in pan once; currently do this every 30000kms using Mobil 1.

Changed power steering fluid in reservoir; usually done every oil change and that time is also coming

Cost
Previous total - $850
Bosch brake pads - $370
Mobil 1 ATF (4 quarts) - $280
Castrol dex/merc (1 quart)- $45

Total - $1545

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » December 10th, 2019, 5:32 pm

Will msg you later
pugboy wrote:how difficult to do the power steering fluid change ?
i need to do that.

Changed brake pads to Bosch; still bedding them in. Better initial bite than oem so far. Also drained some brake fluid and refilled with ferodo DOT4.

Drained and refilled ATF in pan once; currently do this every 30000kms using Mobil 1.

Changed power steering fluid in reservoir; usually done every oil change and that time is also coming

Cost
Previous total - $850
Bosch brake pads - $370

Total - $1545

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *$kїđž!™ » December 10th, 2019, 5:36 pm

I need some advice guys..
When im in reverse and i mash the brakes..im.hearing a loud clank from the brakes.....it only haooens in reverse...in drive it doesnt make any noise....

Took it to two.garages...the took it on a hoist...took out wheels etc and found nothing...everything new and firm

Anybody have ever heard this before ...2013 hilux

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » December 10th, 2019, 6:44 pm

Front or back?
*$kїđž![emoji769] wrote:I need some advice guys..
When im in reverse and i mash the brakes..im.hearing a loud clank from the brakes.....it only haooens in reverse...in drive it doesnt make any noise....

Took it to two.garages...the took it on a hoist...took out wheels etc and found nothing...everything new and firm

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » December 10th, 2019, 8:39 pm

Could be the driveshaft.

These vans have a sliding yoke driveshaft so there is some movement on it particularly when changing from drive to reverse or vice versa or stopping while in reverse gear. I often hear a sound associated with that movement, albeit it is not that loud. Sometimes barely noticeable.

At one point it was noticeably louder but nothing I'd imagine you've described. Ended up having the driveshaft greased using the correct grease (molybdenum based iirc, but check the manual for the specific type). After greasing it good, the sound went away.

Driveshaft needs to be greased regularly and properly but there always be a bit of movement and associated sound.
*$kїđž![emoji769] wrote:I need some advice guys..

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » December 10th, 2019, 8:41 pm

Shoot. Scratch that last comment. I just realised it was with the brakes you specifically said.

Have you checked the rear drums?

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » December 10th, 2019, 11:46 pm

Used a battery water filler (looks like a turkey baster but more suited to what you want to do). Remove fluid from reservoir and refill (I use Castrol Dex/Merc). I do this once every oil change.
i need to do that.

Cost
Previous total - $850
Bosch brake pads - $370

Total - $1545

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » December 11th, 2019, 7:41 am

Thats not changinflg the fluid, thats refreshing the resevoir.

To flush you need to remove all the fluid from the system by turning the steering left and right, then refilling and bleeding the system.

Takes about 2qts
kamakazi wrote:Used a battery water filler (looks like a turkey baster but more suited to what you want to do). Remove fluid from reservoir and refill (I use Castrol Dex/Merc). I do this once every oil change.
i need to do that.

Cost
Previous total - $850
Bosch brake pads - $370

Total - $1545

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » December 11th, 2019, 9:04 pm

I mean I never mentioned flushing...I did say I change the fluid in the reservoir every oil change; reducing and diluting the contaminants in the system. Same thing I do with my transmission... It is a bit lazy but I think it better overall than waiting the entire period before changing... If you change at all
(And I have been doing this since the first service)

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *$kїđž!™ » December 13th, 2019, 10:25 pm

carluva wrote:Shoot. Scratch that last comment. I just realised it was with the brakes you specifically said.

Have you checked the rear drums?
Check the entire braking system....
Found nothing....
Sound did get a lil.less though after i changed out thr calipher pins...will see how it goes

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » December 14th, 2019, 6:53 am

Might sound far fetched... Are you using the correct (size) brake pads. I'm also asking if the spring (small leaf type) is present to hold the pads in place

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » December 14th, 2019, 9:48 am

That's an excellent point kamakazi.

I changed pads the other day and the pads that were sent were for a Prado which had a slightly different shape. The would have fit on the Fortuner but not snugly.

Entered up waiting to get the correct pads for the vehicle.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » December 14th, 2019, 9:51 am

I using the prado pads currently, same fitment as the hilux, i compared them side by side. Its the same pad for more money with a different part #
carluva wrote:That's an excellent point kamakazi.

I changed pads the other day and the pads that were sent were for a Prado which had a slightly different shape. The would have fit on the Fortuner but not snugly.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » December 14th, 2019, 9:53 am

Side note: i paid 600 for the set from a padna who had some extras for the hilux and prado.
The only difference was that the hilux box said “made in thailand”
Prado box said “made in japan”

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » December 14th, 2019, 8:58 pm

Nah. Not in my case with the Hawk pads.

Btw I ended up replacing the front rotors from the original Toyota warp prone ones to DBA slotted with the Hawk pads. Only been one week now so can't say how stopping is as I'm sure the brakes have less than 300km of mellow driving in them.

One thing is for certain... It's a pleasure and a relief to drive a van that doesn't vibrate like it has Parkinson's when the brakes are mashed.
*KRONIK* wrote:I using the prado pads currently, same fitment as the hilux, i compared them side by side. Its the same pad for more money with a different part #

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » December 15th, 2019, 8:44 am

Nice

Bought the combo from westbourne?
carluva wrote:Nah. Not in my case with the Hawk pads.

Btw I ended up replacing the front rotors from the original Toyota warp prone ones to DBA slotted with the Hawk pads. Only been one week now so can't say how stopping is as I'm sure the brakes have less than 300km of mellow driving in them.

One thing is for certain... It's a pleasure and a relief to drive a van that doesn't vibrate like it has Parkinson's when the brakes are mashed.
*KRONIK* wrote:I using the prado pads currently, same fitment as the hilux, i compared them side by side. Its the same pad for more money with a different part #

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » December 15th, 2019, 9:28 am

*KRONIK* wrote:Nice

Yea.

The minor upgrades start.

Installed the diff breather as a start

Managed to get a set of the 18" wheels with tyres too for less than 7k and about 300 km on them.

Next year, replacing the suspension with OME.

And daz it.

Hadda paint over in July so I done book meh straightener.

May reupholster late in year or following year as car seats take their toll on vehicle seats.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » December 15th, 2019, 9:30 am

Nice
carluva wrote:
*KRONIK* wrote:Nice

Yea.

The minor upgrades start.

Installed the diff breather as a start

Managed to get a set of the 18" wheels with tyres too for less than 7k and about 300 km on them.

Next year, replacing the suspension with OME.

And daz it.

Hadda paint over in July so I done book meh straightener.

May reupholster late in year or following year as car seats take their toll on vehicle seats.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » December 15th, 2019, 9:30 am

Btw, link me with a sale for the stock rims and tyres....I created another thread.

I would link that thread here but don't know how to do that using the tablet or phone.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » December 15th, 2019, 10:15 am

Sure

Will do

I sent you a PM
carluva wrote:Btw, link me with a sale for the stock rims and tyres....I created another thread.

I would link that thread here but don't know how to do that using the tablet or phone.

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *$kїđž!™ » December 15th, 2019, 9:32 pm

kamakazi wrote:Might sound far fetched... Are you using the correct (size) brake pads. I'm also asking if the spring (small leaf type) is present to hold the pads in place
Pads are the ones the van came with....never changed still new

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » December 15th, 2019, 11:17 pm

Oooh... that is interesting. I finally gave up on the original brake pads to see if that was the cause of my problem...I believe it is as I now have the opposite of what I had before. When the brakes are warmed slightly it pulses slightly when applied lightly but when I put serious heat into them the pulsing stops completely.

How long have those pads been in use for. I changed mine at 97000kms.
*$kїđž![emoji769] wrote:
kamakazi wrote:Might sound far fetched... Are you using the correct (size) brake pads. I'm also asking if the spring (small leaf type) is present to hold the pads in place
Pads are the ones the van came with....never changed still new

trebornattaj
3NE 2NR for life

Postby trebornattaj » December 26th, 2019, 8:26 am

Good morning guys, anyone use the 2018 side mirrors on the 2010 hilux? Any adjustments /modifications required? Any help appreciated, thanks

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » December 27th, 2019, 12:07 am

If you need to get a replacement mirror, can't you check the firm or are they out of stock?

Otherwise, try partsouq.com

They should have that. And you order online and can get it within two weeks via DHL.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » December 27th, 2019, 7:54 am

I notice a lotta ppl asking about the mirror conversion.
He is the 4th person in the last 2 weeks to inquire, i wonder if the mirror cheaper or something, or if someone has them for a good price locally?

Me eh know.

trebornattaj
3NE 2NR for life

Postby trebornattaj » December 27th, 2019, 8:54 am

*KRONIK* wrote:I notice a lotta ppl asking about the mirror conversion.
He is the 4th person in the last 2 weeks to inquire, i wonder if the mirror cheaper or something, or if someone has them for a good price locally?

Me eh know.

Kronik, I got them from a hilux owner who put on aftermarket mirrors, the are semi powered, mine are broken and repaired, I just need some advise, thanks

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » December 27th, 2019, 9:12 am

I have no advice to offer on that nah,
You may need to just try and see if it can work, or engineer an adapter for it.

trebornattaj wrote:
*KRONIK* wrote:I notice a lotta ppl asking about the mirror conversion.

Me eh know.

Kronik, I got them from a hilux owner who put on aftermarket mirrors, the are semi powered, mine are broken and repaired, I just need some advise, thanks

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » February 12th, 2020, 4:17 pm

So after hearing about the problems with our local diesel...I decided to experiment with my machine.
Essentially treat the diesel like if it has a cetane rating of 40 and put additives accordingly to bring it up to recommended spec (48).

Two observations since... Engine is quieter and it is more willing to accelerate. Still considering if I should install an aftermarket auxillary fuel filter.

And to people who keep singing the song that sulphur is the problem... It is just part of the problem and it mainly concerns the emissions side of the equation. High sulphur content diesel offers better wear protection than ULSD

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » February 12th, 2020, 5:07 pm

I start checking for water and sediments
I have a channa bottle in my tray, i does out $1 diesel let it settle and then check it for water and sediments,
If it look good, i does fill up

This is what i getting these days....
20200120_141011.jpeg

vharripersad
3NE 2NR for life

Postby vharripersad » March 1st, 2020, 7:43 am

My 2014 D4D 3.0 90000km.
Shutdown, tumbling but not starting.
Change oil and oil filter every 5k.
Change fuel and air filter ever 20k.
Liquimoly purge every 20k.
Never used any fuel treatment in tank.

2 weeks before shutdown
Rough idle for 5 seconds one day
No loss of power, no smoking

1 week before shutdown
Rough idle with knock for 5 seconds one day
No loss of power, no smoking

Went to mechanic to check, fuel filter doing 10k very dirty and replaced, fuel filter assembly also removed and cleaned.
Mechanic starts, idle for 10 seconds and knocks for 5 seconds and shuts off. Engine never again started, just tumble.

Mechanic had to drain and clean tank, flush fuel lines, replace the new fuel filter since it got contaminated again as soon as it was changed. Still not starting.

Injectors seized, had to be cleaned/repaired and calibrated. Some washer thingy mechanic also changed. Van started.

Advised from now onwards of the following:
Amsoil injector treatment and cetane boost 2 oz. On every full up
Change fuel filter every 5km, fine to use Sakura if changing every 5km.
Friends advise to do the purge every 10km instead of 20km.

My brothers,please comment up and give me the guidance.

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”