TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Diesel, Gas, 4x4, 4x2

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Forum rules
This forum is for discussions on Trucks and Pickups only!
DO NOT POST ADS IN HERE
WTB (Want to buy), LF (Looking for), EOI (Expression of Interest) or FS (For sale) topics etc will be deleted.
If you are looking for a part please search or post in the Auto Parts Classifieds.
Please keep all discussion professional and technical. Opinions are welcomed, however trolling, spamming and bashing will not be tolerated.
Corn Bird
Sweet on this forum

Re: Tech Thread - Toyota Hilux...D4D and all older models.

Postby Corn Bird » July 6th, 2014, 12:53 pm

Ronnie203 wrote:Got the Bad Diesel at Unipet Station on union road Marabella.....Don't Buy Diesel there

i got some power loss in a 3.0 hilux after filling at union road marabella. this was about a year ago. i'm not going back there again

kamakazi wrote:If anything my main problems with NP usually occur at Old service stations.
ymmv

some of these unipets are converted np stations. the union road unipet is an old np (>25 years as far as i can tell). similarly st augustine unipet is an old np.

best bet should be a new unipet like brentwood in chaguanas

Paullct
Riding on 16's

Postby Paullct » July 11th, 2014, 9:49 pm

went for 5,000km service on my Hilux today at TTTL, they didn't change the oil filter. they said the engine is designed for the filter to be changed every 10,000kms. can anyone vouch for this? if not i think i would just request they change filter every service

Team Loco
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Team Loco » July 11th, 2014, 10:40 pm

Paullct wrote:went for 5,000km service on my Hilux today at TTTL, they didn't change the oil filter. they said the engine is designed for the filter to be changed every 10,000kms. can anyone vouch for this? if not i think i would just request they change filter every service

They are right. Depejds on the filter. Tttl sells three different types of filters

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » July 12th, 2014, 2:27 am

kamakazi wrote:I believe this to be a very bad practice especially for the first service of the vehicle. The most amount of wear metals that an engine sees in its normal life is generated in the first 1000km. That first filter therfore has a lot of contaminants in it and to cycle new oil through that for another 5000km...
I did my first oil change at 964km; my next oil and filter change at 4996km and my next oil and filter change at 100025
From here on I will run intervals of 6000km to 8000km
Total Quartz 9000 and shell rimula R4 are my current engine oils of choice
I advise changing the filter every oil change

I must add that I would only run a filter for 10000kms if it was the made in japan Denso filter.... not the made in Thailand (they have the same part number but the filter element is different) but that's just me

Paullct
Riding on 16's

Postby Paullct » July 13th, 2014, 2:50 pm

gonna change every service just to be safe

Team Loco
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Team Loco » July 13th, 2014, 3:46 pm

Whats a good hrand clutch and pressure plate? Assuming dealer has no stock?

Rainman
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rainman » July 13th, 2014, 4:12 pm

I use the original filter but still change it every 5k

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » July 14th, 2014, 1:02 pm

Timing Belt and Water Pump Job
Thoughts: Pain in the a$$; the waterpump is blocked by almost everything in front of the engine

Man power
At Least 2 people

Tools Required
10mm Hex
10,12,14mm Spanner/Socket & Driver
19mm Spanner
22mm Socket and Driver
Pry Bar
Bucket
Torque Wrench

Parts Required
Water Pump,Idler Pulley and Tensioner
Timing Belt
Drive Belt
Coolant

My Procedure
1. Remove timing belt cover and find the mark on the cam gear that needs to line up with the downward pointer at the 12 o Clock position on the rear timing belt cover
2. Remove Stone Shield
3. Tap ignition to move cam gear mark closer to help with lining it up and you can use the 22mm socket and driver to turn the crank to line it up properly(you can use the 22mm on the crank to turn it all the way around to build muscle if you so desire;also turn in the direction that the engine normally turns). Lining up the top mark should also align a notch in the lower timing gear with an arrow at the 3 o clock position.
4. While the 22mm driver is on the crank bolt you can use it to hold backup to break the 19mm bolt holding the cam gear in place.
5. Find the Radiator drain plug on the base of the radiator near the driver side and drain coolant into the bucket
6. Disconnect the Battery
7. To remove the timing belt start by breaking the bolts holding the tensioner in place and use the hex to break the bolt holding the idler pulley in place; remove the bolt at the bottom of the tensioner which would cause the assembly to move enough to make belt removal easier...unbolt the tensioner and the idler pulley(note that there is a washer behind the pulley; careful not to drop it)
8. Remove air Filter box
9. Removing the drive belt is best done as a dual effort; You need to break the bolt that holds the pulley which presses the belt downwards between the AC compressor and the Fan/Waterpump. The tensioner is the lower most pulley which pushes the belt upwards between the alternator and the crank. Someone has to pull the tensioner to the driver side(use the 14mm spanner) while another removes the bolt and the pulley.
10. Remove the fan and the drive pulley as well as the drive belt
11. Remove cam Gear and the Woodruff Key
12. Remove Rear timing belt cover

Now the Water pump has 7 Bolts and 2 Nuts holding it in Place
-1 nut and 1 bolt are behind the rear timing cover
-4 bolts and 1 nut are easier to get to at the front of the water pump
-the last 2 bolts believe it or not are clearly visible but also holds the alternator bracket to the block

13. Moving Alternator requires the removal of 2 Bolts that also hold the water pump in place at the front and 2 bolts at the side. The final bolt is on a small bracket below the alternator but when we were going to remove it we found that turning the bolt moved the alternator out of the way.
14. Place the bucket below the waterpump area as well as some rags as more coolant is on its way out your engine
15. Clean up and start the install process...its very similar to removal only difference was that for the installation of the new timing belt we put on the tensioner first then the belt and we put in the idler pulley last...we also reinstalled the old parts just to hold backup as we tightened the cam Gear bolt to around 75ft. pounds

Used a rivet and a C clamp to reset the old tensioner
We also had to change our cam seal as we discovered a very small leak
Filling back the coolant takes a while and i was too lazy to locate the bleed bolt
I am also aware that there is a place on the cam to position a monkey wrench to hold it steady while you tighten the cam gear bolt but laziness again(requires removal of the cam cover and that requires removal of the pipe where the intercooler would sit in the 3L...too much headache)

Thanks to Filterproz for coming through with the parts
I saw pictures of a 2 piece waterpump...I will be requesting that one for any future repairs....the one piece design is pressure

We took the entire weekend to complete it but total work time was about 16Hrs (It took us longer to understand the setup as we had never worked on it before but there were pictures online which helped). World cup games and 3 trips into marabella to get the right drive belt and the Cam Seal also kept us back a bit :)

Team Loco
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Team Loco » July 14th, 2014, 1:41 pm

Wow.

I in some pain right now. My pilot bearing shelled and gearbox is locked in place. Right now we got two chain blocks on the gearbox to try to yank it out. All other alternatives exhausted. 2004 sr5

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » July 14th, 2014, 3:19 pm

Ouch

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » July 14th, 2014, 6:43 pm

Lawd. Puncheon like dat

Xplode
Riding on 18's

Postby Xplode » July 24th, 2014, 10:19 am

Been reading tru this whole thread and you guys only talk about the diesel engines the 1KD or 2KD ,i my self drive the diesel Hilux vigo 4x4 3.0 and the gas 2.7 vvt-i 4x4 my wife owned since she migrated been driving the 2.7 more was going to sell it but change my mind ,i can say the power of the vvt-i and speed almost the same, then is the maintenance , just tuned up the 2.7 yesterday and cost less than the diesel ,10w 40 shell HX7, oem oil filter and sprayed out the TB. Last tuned up on the diesel cost more, all oem parts diesel oil , oil filter ,air filter, fuel filter,service injectors . Yes you get better mileage out of the diesel but to maintain is more than the gas engine , were as the the gas is less maintenance but you pay more at the pump.

Then it's about getting bad diesel , servicing the pump and injectors ,turbo problems in my opinion i choose the gas hilux .

saw a gas hilux in tttl doing 325,000 km with only basic tune up :shock:

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » July 24th, 2014, 11:08 am

No love lost for the gas Lux but there aren't a lot of them and TTTL stopped bringing them (I think)
As regards servicing your observations are correct
Diesel Engine costs more to service than the gas engine you just pay more at the pump
My only gripe with the gas engine would be the oil filter location

I have mentioned this before but if the difference in price between a gas powered vehicle and a diesel version of the same vehicle is greater than $20,000 (diesel vehicle being more expensive), I would seriously consider the gas as $20000 buys a lot of fuel (super)
Insurance premiums and service costs would also be lower.

In the case of the 2006 model lux the 2.7L gas was cheaper than the 3L diesel by about $50000 (both auto with similar kit). That's fuel to cover 185000Km (calculated with super at $2.70 a litre and 10Km/l consumption) not even factoring in savings on premiums and service.

As regards Information on the vehicle I would advise checking TacomaWorld as some Tacomas carry a similar drivetrain as the local Gas Lux :)

Xplode
Riding on 18's

Postby Xplode » July 24th, 2014, 3:45 pm

Just came back from a south run with the gas lux ,tank was filled up from half ,reach gulf city and back town side took $12.00 super unleaded top up ,ac full blast and moderate driving ,so the guys who saying the gas lux is a gas drinker they are wrong ,do the same 2.7 vvt-i engine comes in the prado also ?

next planning to do some off road weekend .

droppa
punchin NOS

Postby droppa » July 24th, 2014, 4:49 pm

Gas lux is sweet, the 2.7 vvt-i pulls 33" mts nicely, jus as good as diesel, yes there will be power and economy differences, but none the less, strong engine, stood up to a overhead well!

ImageUploadedByTriniTuner1406234738.630591.jpg

ImageUploadedByTriniTuner1406234776.382824.jpg

I did this one recently, 3" body, 3" suspension, 33" Bighorns, 10" wide rims!

Xplode
Riding on 18's

Postby Xplode » July 24th, 2014, 5:00 pm

droppa how much the whole mod cost ,sweet

another thing got a new chrome bumper to replace , wife dented up one side even with sensors

anyone know were drills holes and install back the sensors .

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » July 24th, 2014, 7:00 pm

Forqing sweet. Saw these gas ones selling for a pretty decent price.

Besides the engine and trans. What's the difference between models?

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » July 24th, 2014, 8:17 pm

↑ not sure about the passenger side airbag

droppa
punchin NOS

Postby droppa » July 24th, 2014, 8:55 pm

From what I've seen everything else is the same, van reacted symmetrically to that of a diesel counter part for all of the mods!

Price was 18k total for lift, rims, tires and wheel spacers!

DVSTT
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby DVSTT » July 24th, 2014, 11:33 pm

I thought the gas one needed premium so I was expecting them to be cheap second hand. :sad:
Oh well....

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » July 25th, 2014, 2:35 am

2TR-FE (2.7L gas engine) listed as 91 RON or higher in the manual. That means it running on super normal. .... Nice :smile:

@droppa
do you have an extension on the driveshafts to accommodate the lift...I read somewhere that without proper mods you put excessive strain on the driveshafts when the vehicle is lifted and big tyres are fitted

DVSTT
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby DVSTT » July 25th, 2014, 6:55 am

What tyres are you guys using? Which do you recommend?

Xplode
Riding on 18's

Postby Xplode » July 25th, 2014, 7:43 am

kamakazi wrote:2TR-FE (2.7L gas engine) listed as 91 RON or higher in the manual. That means it running on super normal. .... Nice :smile:

@droppa
do you have an extension on the driveshafts to accommodate the lift...I read somewhere that without proper mods you put excessive strain on the driveshafts when the vehicle is lifted and big tyres are fitted

yes and the 2.7 vvt-i has timing chain other than belt , talked to a parts sales rep in TTTL ,he said plenty engine parts for the 2.7 because i quote "they don't give trouble so" and you can get 25% off over stocked , same water pump and alternator as the diesel 2.5 engine .

rx80
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rx80 » July 28th, 2014, 4:47 pm

kamakazi wrote:2TR-FE (2.7L gas engine) listed as 91 RON or higher in the manual. That means it running on super normal. .... Nice :smile:

@droppa

With a 3" lift there is no need for a driveshaft extension as the slip yolk can more than accomadate the difference... Any more lift you might need to tilt the diff and use an extension..

Slimklim
Ricer

Postby Slimklim » August 10th, 2014, 10:41 pm

Battery for 3.0 auto hilux
What size of battery d 3.0 auto hilux 2012 uses (cranking amps,plates, etc)

Xplode
Riding on 18's

Postby Xplode » August 11th, 2014, 8:48 am

Slimklim wrote:Battery for 3.0 auto hilux

I'm using an Atlas MF90D26R , 925 HCA , 15 Plates in my 3.0 1KD engine .
paid $1137.00 maintenance free
2 years now no problems .

eg8
3NE 2NR for life

Postby eg8 » August 11th, 2014, 5:42 pm

delete
Last edited by eg8 on August 13th, 2014, 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slimklim
Ricer

Postby Slimklim » August 11th, 2014, 7:47 pm

Thanks explode,but where did u buy d atlas battery.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » August 13th, 2014, 4:27 am

Slimklim wrote:Battery for 3.0 auto hilux

My old man is currently using a yuasa diesel power battery in his 2.5
17 plates
1025 cranking amps @ 30°C
800 cranking amps @ 0° C

rx80
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby rx80 » August 14th, 2014, 8:36 pm

Ordered a set of 13" brakes,that I won't be using. Direct bolt up to the hilux, fortuner, prado. New rotors and calipers if anyone is interested.

Advertisement

Return to “Trucks & Pickups”