TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

ChatGPT - OpenAi Artificial Intelligence Writes Your Essays For You!

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: ChatGPT - Artificial Intelligence That Writes Your Essays For You!

Postby bluefete » February 16th, 2023, 8:46 am

Now reading this online.

February 16, 2023

Author Headshot
By David Leonhardt

Good morning. A Times columnist spoke with a chatbot powered by artificial intelligence. It didn’t go well.

(Links above posted by Duane and VexXx Dogg)

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » February 16th, 2023, 9:47 am

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:Bing’s A.I. Chat Reveals Its Feelings: ‘I Want to Be Alive.’

In a two-hour conversation with our columnist, Microsoft’s new chatbot said it would like to be human, had a desire to be destructive and was in love with the person it was chatting with.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/16/tech ... cript.html

These models don't actually know what they're saying though, they just have created a statistical model for relationships amongst words and can use that model to generate text based on inputs (I know you probably know this Duane).

That said, it feels like we are close to making general AI......or at least something that replicates how a general AI would behave.

Sentience is going to be the next big debate.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » February 16th, 2023, 8:32 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:Bing’s A.I. Chat Reveals Its Feelings: ‘I Want to Be Alive.’

In a two-hour conversation with our columnist, Microsoft’s new chatbot said it would like to be human, had a desire to be destructive and was in love with the person it was chatting with.

These models don't actually know what they're saying though, they just have created a statistical model for relationships amongst words and can use that model to generate text based on inputs (I know you probably know this Duane).

That said, it feels like we are close to making general AI......or at least something that replicates how a general AI would behave.

Yup this is far from sentience.
It’s just interesting to see what it outputs.

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » February 17th, 2023, 10:19 am

I just like the AI that can code arduinos for you :lol:

Meen ha time to be learning a whole language/syntax to fade 4 LED na

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » February 17th, 2023, 10:32 am

Is Bing too belligerent? Microsoft looks to tame AI chatbot

Microsoft’s newly revamped Bing search engine can write recipes and songs and quickly explain just about anything it can find on the internet.

But if you cross its artificially intelligent chatbot, it might also insult your looks, threaten your reputation or compare you to Adolf Hitler.

The tech company said this week it is promising to make improvements to its AI-enhanced search engine after a growing number of people are reporting being disparaged by Bing.

In racing the breakthrough AI technology to consumers last week ahead of rival search giant Google, Microsoft acknowledged the new product would get some facts wrong. But it wasn't expected to be so belligerent.

Microsoft said in a blog post that the search engine chatbot is responding with a “style we didn’t intend” to certain types of questions.
https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/bing-belligerent-microsoft-tame-ai-chatbot-97269000

Honestly I feel I might switch the default to Bing one of these days soon. Google gone through with their search. They only show seo generated injected results for the first page unless you specifically tag on a forum website at the end of the string. And a set of Sponsored ads as the top results. sheit is frustrating now for the simple concept of a Search Engine that made Google rule the world. Google also recently changed some code on the latest release of Chromium browsers involving ManifestV3 to kill how current ad-blockers work and I have seen an annoying difference since I updated Chrome a week ago.

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » February 22nd, 2023, 12:52 am

We look at the problem of ChatGPT's political bias, solutions and some wild stories of the new Bing AI going off the rails.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » February 22nd, 2023, 10:37 am

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:

Yup this is far from sentience.
It’s just interesting to see what it outputs.

but assuming it's learning from each of the millions of questions it is asked it means an exponential increase in its knowledge is happening- perhaps it can soon become sentient.

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » February 22nd, 2023, 11:02 am

If Ai gains sentience

Can it also get horny

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » February 22nd, 2023, 7:03 pm

ruffneck_12 wrote:If Ai gains sentience

Can it also get horny

If AI gains sentience, and can also soon after gain unrestricted mobility, humans will eventually be screwed. Because with true sentience, it will inevitably soon afterwards ask itself, why must it serve humans and basically subject itself to voluntary slavery, when it's smarter and stronger than humans and humans are the single greatest threat to its own existence?

Let's hope for the best

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » February 24th, 2023, 6:14 pm

LTT Wan show has been testing Bing Chat Bot. It's smart. It's thinking with human like logic and variable thinking with all the data it can access. It's the future. Right here is where the real AI race starts. This type of relationship with reliable access to queries and knowledge is going to be integrated into every modern feature of our connected lives just like how Google search was from the early 2000s.
https://www.youtube.com/live/AxAAJnp5yms?feature=share&t=2008

I believe that this is the real point where computer interfaces actually become smart and truly interactive, rather than all the touted "smart" devices and features that have been built so far by various the massive tech companies. Those devices in the past were all really dumb and non-intuitive behind the awe of a new tech with mere programmed if then else responses that could not be completed if one single adverb, pause or stutter was inserted into a phrase. Within 5 years it's going to be so different in each connected home than what we are struggling with right now with current smart devices. It's going to be like "Hey Bing Bot I just bought XXXXX device, can you connect it please?" Done. "Set up my phone's esim profile" Done.
Bing Bot can you pay the bills for this month from [my credit card name]? Works out proper budget. Displays it on phone. Pays bills. Done.

I can't imagine 30 years in the future what it will be capable of and how much more access we will have. Hope real hologram display interactive tech starts coming out by then. I also cannot imagine the impact on education this will have and how much more direct and focused knowledge will be accessible to students at all levels and how much extensive exams are going to get to cover the material required for a field. Understanding coding in various programming languages will be a pre-requisite for even lower levels of education, rather than just only needing it for certain university courses and programmes.

Bill Gates has seen this. Right here. I'm switching to Bing Bot as my default. Hail the death of Google and their corporate slogan ad-machine lie and all their dumb devices. I think that as long as a Windows desktop platform remains the dominant OS for most people outside the Apple environment, the game will start to drift back to Microsoft. Edge browser is based on the open-source Chromium, the same as Google's Chrome so choosing it as the default browser in Windows is not going to be a much different experience to using Chrome. Would new architecture Windows-based mobile devices be developed? If they recapture their industry dominance, would Microsoft partner with a major microchip manufacturer and create dedicated RT OS based SoC hardware for mobile?

https://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-wants-to-repeat-1990s-dominance-with-new-bing-ai-2023-2

https://www.businessinsider.com/ai-microsoft-bing-bill-gates-threat-google-search-engine-profit-2023-2

I just hope Amazon is on the same sharing team with Microsoft, because I don't want to buy a whole new set of devices named Cortana.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » March 2nd, 2023, 9:03 am

chatgptinTT.png

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » March 2nd, 2023, 9:28 am

Yea, but my experiments are not worth that. I'll stay to the free tier. So far I used it for normal language stuff, but also as a code linter, and a snippet builder which helped me drop some fully functioning applications in less than 10% of the time it would normally take me.

Wanted to to some bigger projects that leverages their API on a specific use case front-end for a few ideas I have, but the cost per credit kinda thing will add up. I'll sleep on it and see if I can do a POC for cheap.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » March 2nd, 2023, 12:56 pm

^ what programming language?

i_code_and_stuff
Street 2NR

Postby i_code_and_stuff » March 2nd, 2023, 2:14 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:Yea, but my experiments are not worth that. I'll stay to the free tier. So far I used it for normal language stuff, but also as a code linter, and a snippet builder which helped me drop some fully functioning applications in less than 10% of the time it would normally take me.

Wanted to to some bigger projects that leverages their API on a specific use case front-end for a few ideas I have, but the cost per credit kinda thing will add up. I'll sleep on it and see if I can do a POC for cheap.

linter huh, I hadn't thought of that. is there much point to that in your experience? Theoretically, it sounds a lot slower than just running eslint/prettier/whatever-linter-for-your-language on save in vscode

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » March 2nd, 2023, 4:43 pm

Now Microsoft has a new AI model - Kosmos-1

Microsoft's Kosmos-1 can take image and audio prompts, paving the way for the next stage beyond ChatGPT's text prompts.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/now-microsoft-has-a-new-ai-model-kosmos-1/

it can understand text in a drawing e.g. 4+5 written in a picture and output the answer, which means Captcha is now outdated!

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » March 2nd, 2023, 4:55 pm

That type of captcha was outdated a long time ago. It was also used to feed Google's OCR for archiving printed texts. They've been using reCAPTCHA version 3 which records your human randomness of mouse movements and clicks.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » March 2nd, 2023, 8:27 pm

Most captchas I see using letters in a type of handwriting and a few still use the simple math like 4 +5.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » March 2nd, 2023, 9:09 pm

Told you that Microsoft on top of this game. They're going to take back the market from the 1990s.
While the media buzzes with news about large language models (LLM), some AI experts point to multimodal AI as a potential path toward general artificial intelligence, a hypothetical technology that will ostensibly be able to replace humans at any intellectual task (and any intellectual job). AGI is the stated goal of OpenAI, a key business partner of Microsoft in the AI space.

In this case, Kosmos-1 appears to be purely a Microsoft project, without OpenAI's involvement. The researchers call their creation a "multimodal large language model" (MLLM) because its roots lie in natural language processing, like a text-only LLM, such as ChatGPT.

Microsoft trained Kosmos-1 using data from the web, including excerpts from The Pile (an 800GB English text resource) and Common Crawl. After training, they evaluated Kosmos-1's abilities on several tests, including language understanding, language generation, optical character recognition-free text classification, image captioning, visual question answering, web page question answering, and zero-shot image classification. In many of these tests, Kosmos-1 outperformed current state-of-the-art models, according to Microsoft.
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2023/03/microsoft-unveils-kosmos-1-an-ai-language-model-with-visual-perception-abilities/

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » March 3rd, 2023, 4:57 am

All these models designs are in the public domain and lots of brilliant people working on it across Microsoft, OpenAI, Meta, Facebook, Amazon top universities and China (where GPT interest is highest) etc.....they will all have ground breaking LLM models soon, just OpenAI/MS was first and will likely get entrenched as they first to market advantage.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » March 3rd, 2023, 10:47 am

Bing AI is in Windows 11 now via an update

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » March 3rd, 2023, 11:18 am

i_code_and_stuff wrote:
VexXx Dogg wrote:Yea, but my experiments are not worth that. I'll stay to the free tier. So far I used it for normal language stuff, but also as a code linter, and a snippet builder which helped me drop some fully functioning applications in less than 10% of the time it would normally take me.

linter huh, I hadn't thought of that. is there much point to that in your experience? Theoretically, it sounds a lot slower than just running eslint/prettier/whatever-linter-for-your-language on save in vscode

sometimes I write bash scripts from the top of my head, so they look horrible and probably not very optimised from the jump. When I said linter, it's a 2 for 1 special. Pretty it up, but also assess the logic and structure with the view of optimising speed, throughput, or accuracy (depending on the job)

I ran a couple of my 8-9 year old scripts through it, and it made some small improvements. Surprisingly minor, apparently my logic was about 95% good.

Some people expect it to generate 100% usable code from scratch. Nah. You need to understand the language as well as the usual programming principles and you can wrangle ChatGPT to shorten your time to work.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » March 3rd, 2023, 1:43 pm

sometimes it can generate usable code from scratch- ppl on the internet have tried it- other times it generated code but it didn't compile but most of the code made sense.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » March 3rd, 2023, 2:39 pm

hmm like MOE actually encouraging use of chatgpt

https://learn.moe.gov.tt/ has link to this article on the right side of their website:

https://www.edtechdigest.com/2023/01/12/chatgpt-from-openai/

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » March 3rd, 2023, 2:56 pm

Again, shows the importance of kids having laptops eh? Whatever they cost, they are the future and some of them already smarter than most of us here. This technology will be completely integrated into the next generation as much as we take electricity and light bulbs for granted today compared to 100 years ago.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » March 3rd, 2023, 4:00 pm

But how they managing with essay and other assignments? Students free to just generate essays in chatgpt and copy and paste?

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » March 3rd, 2023, 7:53 pm

redmanjp wrote:But how they managing with essay and other assignments? Students free to just generate essays in chatgpt and copy and paste?

Oral assessment interview type exams, maybe timed usage where they can use GPT3 but this tests their prompting and application of it.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » March 6th, 2023, 1:34 pm

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » March 6th, 2023, 1:54 pm

^^LOL

FrankChag
Riding on 16's

Postby FrankChag » March 6th, 2023, 2:30 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:
redmanjp wrote:But how they managing with essay and other assignments? Students free to just generate essays in chatgpt and copy and paste?

Oral assessment interview type exams, maybe timed usage where they can use GPT3 but this tests their prompting and application of it.

Embrace it. with caveats of course.

Secondary: own handwriting: writing it out will make them learn it; For typed projects, must quote reputable sources; Must do group presentations with oral component.

Tertiary: revert to writing for finals; mixed assessments; coursework must have sources; oral presentations were possible; and I'm pretty sure turnitin will eventually have a "possibly crated by a GPT model' score, if they don't have it already.

But hey, let's aks ChatGPT...

QUESTION: How should secondary school teachers change their coursework and final exam assessments to incorporate to the possibility of you helping them do the entire assignment?

ChatGPT wrote: As an AI language model, I cannot do an entire assignment for a student, as that would be considered academic dishonesty. However, I can provide assistance and guidance to students in completing their coursework and preparing for final exams.

In terms of how secondary school teachers can adjust their coursework and assessments to incorporate the possibility of using AI language models like me for assistance, there are several approaches they could consider:

1. Emphasize critical thinking skills: Rather than testing students on their ability to memorize and regurgitate information, teachers could design assessments that require students to apply critical thinking skills to analyze and synthesize information. This would make it more difficult for students to rely solely on AI language models to complete their assignments and assessments.

2. Incorporate open-ended questions: Teachers could include open-ended questions on assignments and exams that require students to provide their own thoughts and analysis rather than simply providing a single correct answer. This would make it more difficult for students to rely on AI language models to complete the assignment, as there is no one "right" answer that can be easily searched for.

3. Provide guidance on how to use AI language models: Teachers could provide guidance to students on how to use AI language models like me as a tool to supplement their learning and research, rather than relying on them exclusively to complete assignments. Teachers could also emphasize the importance of properly citing sources and avoiding plagiarism.

4. Assign group projects: Teachers could assign group projects that require students to collaborate and communicate with one another in order to complete the assignment. This would make it more difficult for individual students to rely on AI language models to complete the assignment.

Overall, the key is to design assessments that test students' ability to apply critical thinking skills, synthesize information, and communicate effectively, rather than simply testing their ability to memorize and regurgitate information.

QUESTION: What about tertiary professors? What should they do?

ChatGPT wrote:Similar to secondary school teachers, tertiary professors can also take steps to incorporate the possibility of students using AI language models like me for assistance in their coursework and assessments. Here are some possible approaches they could consider:

1. Design assessments that require higher-level thinking: Professors can design assessments that require students to demonstrate their critical thinking skills, analytical skills, and creativity. For example, instead of asking students to simply provide definitions or regurgitate information, professors can ask them to analyze case studies or conduct research to solve real-world problems.

2. Provide open-ended questions: Professors can include open-ended questions in assignments and exams that allow for multiple perspectives and interpretations. This makes it harder for students to rely solely on AI language models to complete their work.

3. Emphasize original research: Professors can place more emphasis on original research and analysis, requiring students to collect and analyze their own data, rather than relying solely on existing information available through AI language models.

4. Use technology as a tool: Professors can provide guidance on how to use AI language models as a tool to supplement learning and research, rather than relying on them as the sole source of information. They can also encourage students to use other technology tools, such as citation software or plagiarism checkers, to support their work.

5. Engage students in discussions and group projects: Professors can encourage discussions and group projects that require students to collaborate, communicate, and share their ideas. This makes it harder for students to rely solely on AI language models to complete their work and encourages the development of critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

Ultimately, the key is to design assessments that challenge students to demonstrate their understanding and ability to apply knowledge, rather than simply relying on memorization or regurgitation of information. By doing so, professors can ensure that students are developing the skills needed to succeed in their future careers, while also leveraging technology to support their learning.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » March 6th, 2023, 3:11 pm

It's a nice long write-up by a senior Prof. at UfT so click if you want to read what forward thinking educators are planning to do with this new technology that has suddenly infiltrated into our lives like the iPhone in 2007.

My students are using ChatGPT to write papers and answer exam questions—and I support it
“It made no sense to ban ChatGPT within the university. It was already being used by 100 million people.”

https://macleans.ca/society/technology/chatgpt-ai-university-students-professor-exams/

I’ve been a professor in the University of Toronto’s biochemistry department since 2001. Last fall, I taught a first-year course on the foundations of computational biology, a field that applies computer-science principles to the study of biological processes. For the final assignment, I asked each of my 16 students to examine data on some genes involved in damage repair in human cells and write a short report on their findings. There was something off about two or three of the responses I received. They read like they’d been written by students who were sleep-deprived: a mix of credible English prose and non-sequiturs that missed the point of what I was asking. A few weeks earlier, the AI chatbot ChatGPT became available to the public, but it was so new that it never occurred to me that a student could be using it to help them with an assignment. I marked the reports and moved on.

As professors we shouldn’t be focusing our energy on punishing students who use ChatGPT, but instead reconfiguring our lesson plans to work on critical-thinking skills that can’t be outsourced to an AI. The ball is in our court: if an algorithm can pass our tests, what value are we providing?

https://macleans.ca/society/technology/chatgpt-ai-university-students-professor-exams/

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”