Forums

Banking in Trinidad & Tobago

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

triniterribletim
Sweet on this forum

Re: Banks in T&T

Postby triniterribletim » September 26th, 2022, 5:23 pm

Banking in T&T is a painful necessity, not something easy or pleasant, but something you do if you want to not store your funds in your mattress. Dealing with international banks like Santander or HSBC is like Aladdin said "A whole new world".

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » February 17th, 2023, 3:47 pm

Anybody this week transferred money to another scotia account and was charged $1.50? I transferred 3 payments to pay off my credit card and was charged $1.50 each time. Queried it on the phone and I was charged in error, only if you transferring to an outside bank then you supposed to be charged. First the lady explained to me so I asked, so I'm being charged for paying my own credit card which is a scotia card? Then she ketch herself when she realized it wasn't an outside payment. I haven't seen the charges reversed yet.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » February 17th, 2023, 3:54 pm

Fone banking or online?

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » February 17th, 2023, 5:29 pm

Musical Doc wrote:Anybody this week transferred money to another scotia account and was charged $1.50? I transferred 3 payments to pay off my credit card and was charged $1.50 each time. Queried it on the phone and I was charged in error, only if you transferring to an outside bank then you supposed to be charged. First the lady explained to me so I asked, so I'm being charged for paying my own credit card which is a scotia card? Then she ketch herself when she realized it wasn't an outside payment. I haven't seen the charges reversed yet.

Write the Board and CEO in Canada and see how fast they reverse the charges.

Had a problem with RBC, wrote Canada and problem solved in no time. I did not even bother to write RBC Trinidad . Went straight to Canada.

shaneelal
Riding on 16's

Postby shaneelal » February 17th, 2023, 7:02 pm

Musical Doc wrote:Anybody this week transferred money to another scotia account and was charged $1.50? I transferred 3 payments to pay off my credit card and was charged $1.50 each time. Queried it on the phone and I was charged in error, only if you transferring to an outside bank then you supposed to be charged. First the lady explained to me so I asked, so I'm being charged for paying my own credit card which is a scotia card? Then she ketch herself when she realized it wasn't an outside payment. I haven't seen the charges reversed yet.

Noticed this also, CSR mentioned the "SPECIAL SERVICE CHARGE" should be reversed in 3 - 5 working days.

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Banking in Trinidad

Postby The_Honourable » March 15th, 2023, 11:31 pm

With all the current banking fears in the US and Europe, keep in mind the Deposit Insurance Corporation here in T&T...

The Deposit Insurance Corporation (DIC) functions to ensure continued stability of T&T's financial system. With 24 licensed member institutions, we help protect depositors against financial loss should an institution be closed by the Central Bank.

Learn more at our website dictt.org.

https://www.facebook.com/DepositInsuran ... GXcEPyzkPl
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

toyolink
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Re: Banking in Trinidad & Tobago

Postby toyolink » March 16th, 2023, 11:08 am

DIC protection limit is$125,000 and when a major bank collapses, one wonders what happens with major accounts which generally are the back bone of financial institutions (which include pension and other retirement funds).
Central bank regulatory and surveillance is extremely important to keep financial institutions in check and our financial sector history just don't provide any true sense of confidence.
We sit on a very shaky pack of cards and unfortunately our individual financial existence demands having a relationship in a 'bank'.

ruskie
Street 2NR

Postby ruskie » March 16th, 2023, 11:30 am

bluefete wrote:

Write the Board and CEO in Canada and see how fast they reverse the charges.

Had a problem with RBC, wrote Canada and problem solved in no time. I did not even bother to write RBC Trinidad . Went straight to Canada.
Who did you write to specifically?

My credit card was delivered in September for a November expiry. I went in January to collect after being told it was present at the branch. It was sent back because it was there longer than 3 months....I never got a notice...no email, no secure message. When they replaced it, I got charged 50 dollars for a replacement order. I wrote the head of the credit card section twice, Ms Donna walters, and she still has not responded to my request to have the charge reversed at it was, in my opinion, the bank's fault. I need to go above that manager. Help a brother out.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » March 16th, 2023, 1:17 pm

toyolink wrote:DIC protection limit is$125,000 and when a major bank collapses, one wonders what happens with major accounts which generally are the back bone of financial institutions (which include pension and other retirement funds).
Central bank regulatory and surveillance is extremely important to keep financial institutions in check and our financial sector history just don't provide any true sense of confidence.
We sit on a very shaky pack of cards and unfortunately our individual financial existence demands having a relationship in a 'bank'.

so if u have $500k u only getting back $125k in the event of a collapse ?

also that limit is per account or per customer? so if u split money into 2 accounts let's say $250k in each, u will get back $125k each, equaling $250k?

Pirate
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Pirate » March 16th, 2023, 2:39 pm

redmanjp wrote:
toyolink wrote:DIC protection limit is$125,000 and when a major bank collapses, one wonders what happens with major accounts which generally are the back bone of financial institutions (which include pension and other retirement funds).

so if u have $500k u only getting back $125k in the event of a collapse ?

also that limit is per account or per customer? so if u split money into 2 accounts let's say $250k in each, u will get back $125k each, equaling $250k?

It is 125K insured in total for all your accounts in the bank iirc.

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby paid_influencer » March 16th, 2023, 6:09 pm

iirc,

dic will give you $125k

and the liquidator would would give you back a portion of the rest when everything the bank owns is sold off

Pirate
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Pirate » March 16th, 2023, 9:51 pm

Sounds about right.

The only problem is that after paying off debts and everything else, the remainder is usually pocket change.
:(

Can someone clarify something for me.
If you have 125K at 3 different banks (FCB, RBL, RBC) all of which are DIC certified, the get back the 125k at all the institutions since it is at the insured level?

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » March 17th, 2023, 11:23 am

Pirate wrote:Sounds about right.

The only problem is that after paying off debts and everything else, the remainder is usually pocket change.

If you have 125K at 3 different banks (FCB, RBL, RBC) all of which are DIC certified, the get back the 125k at all the institutions since it is at the insured level?

You will get back 125K x 3 IF all 3 banks go through.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » March 17th, 2023, 1:16 pm

bluefete wrote:
Pirate wrote:Sounds about right.

You will get back 125K x 3 IF all 3 banks go through.

so instead of 3 accounts at the same institution, 1 account each in 3 institutions. just that u go be paying 3 set of bank fees :roll:

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » March 19th, 2023, 6:56 am

Pirate wrote:
It is 125K insured in total for all your accounts in the bank iirc.

Not quite eh.
If you have money in roytrin or any other similar bank managed investment, kiss that goodbye

Pirate
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Pirate » March 19th, 2023, 2:22 pm

Yeah. Plenty fine print in the mix too

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”