FrankChag
Riding on 16's

Re: Queen Elizabeth II dies at age 96. RIP

Postby FrankChag » September 8th, 2022, 7:34 pm

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » September 8th, 2022, 7:36 pm

hover11 wrote:We will forever be entrenched in colonialism, 60 years of independence and yet our highest court of law is the privy council.

Nothing to do with colonialism soldier, most of the public simply trusts the Privy Council.

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » September 8th, 2022, 7:43 pm

The_Honourable wrote:
hover11 wrote:We will forever be entrenched in colonialism, 60 years of independence and yet our highest court of law is the privy council.

Nothing to do with colonialism soldier, most of the public simply trusts the Privy Council.
Why do you trust the white man when other Caribbean countries have taken the step to move away from such. If the privy council decide to stop hearing our cases wouldn't we have to find a new Supreme Court. Independence means you stand on your own yet we running to England every minute for them to decide our affairs. Are we truly independent?

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » September 8th, 2022, 7:45 pm

we doing the half mast thing...
as a former colony, that is an insult to becoming independence. its as if ur greving ur master.

i think its improper, even if i think we should never had left their rule.

FrankChag
Riding on 16's

Postby FrankChag » September 8th, 2022, 7:56 pm

sMASH wrote:we doing the half mast thing...
as a former colony, that is an insult to becoming independence. its as if ur greving ur master.

Would never happen, but imagine if King Charles decrees that any country in the Commonwealth who wishes to rejoin the United Kingdom, he'll welcome them back. Wonder what we'd do...

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » September 8th, 2022, 8:00 pm

FrankChag wrote:

Would never happen, but imagine if King Charles decrees that any country in the Commonwealth who wishes to rejoin the United Kingdom, he'll welcome them back. Wonder what we'd do...

we would never go back. them big shots want to keep their hands in the cookie jars.

the only reason i want to be under them is to have proper accounting and auditing of the national assets. and some rationale in the way we manage and structure the ministries.

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » September 8th, 2022, 8:01 pm

That's how it appears, you not truly independent if you can't decide your own affairs. I sure England fed up hearing our matters. We have the CCJ , it is there to be used and is currently the last court of appeal for other countries except we too good for it. We have this firm belief that whatever the white man says is golden....that is the colonialism embedded in us.

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » September 8th, 2022, 8:02 pm

You all do know that there are colonies in existance today right?

Just look at the state of those countries and people and you will get an idea.

You all need to get it through your head that colonies serve the crown. Not the other way around.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » September 8th, 2022, 8:04 pm

DMan7 wrote:Why does caribbean people feel the need to celebrate the arrival of royalty? Were they not aware of what the royal bloodline had done to our ancestors for centuries?
Lol

I wondering this also

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » September 8th, 2022, 8:06 pm

Lets not forget our national princess
IMG-20220908-WA0215.jpg

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » September 8th, 2022, 8:10 pm

hover11 wrote:

That's how it appears, you not truly independent if you can't decide your own affairs. I sure England fed up hearing our matters. We have the CCJ , it is there to be used and is currently the last court of appeal for other countries except we too good for it. We have this firm belief that whatever the white man says is golden....that is the colonialism embedded in us.

on the CCJ/ PC issue, we NEEEED to stay with the PC. just cause they the former masters, doesnt mean they dont deal fair.
that CCJ is corruption af...
is not that we too good for it, is that we can influence them too easily for fair judgements.
Last edited by sMASH on September 8th, 2022, 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » September 8th, 2022, 8:13 pm

sMASH wrote:
FrankChag wrote:[quote="sMASH".]we doing the half mast thing...

i think its improper, even if i think we should never had left their rule.[/quote]

[/quote]
we would never go back. them big shots want to keep their hands in the cookie jars.

the only reason i want to be under them is to have proper accounting and auditing of the national assets. and some rationale in the way we manage and structure the ministries.[/quote]

That's not how colonialism works. You have no national assets so they don't need to account or audit anything and report back to you. There is also no rationale on how things are managed. Most development would take place around the money making assets of the country. So if you have a refinery then that is the area that would be built up etc. Colonizers have no desire to develop any territory outside of the mother/fatherland

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » September 8th, 2022, 8:15 pm

sMASH wrote:
hover11 wrote:

on the CCJ/ PC issue, we NEEEED to stay with the PC. just cause they the former masters, doesnt mean they deal fair.
that CCJ is corruption af...
is not that we too good for it, is that we can influence them too easily for fair judgements.

That's brainwashing talking. The idea that the ex colonizer are somehow fair and impartial is based on the belief that whites have a divine right to rule and occupy positions of power and influence. The opposite being everything brown/black is rooted in corruption. Meanwhile whites perfect systemic corruption. The sort of corruption they don't actually have to practice out in the open

Would you still trust the privy council if it happened to be filled with black british people?

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » September 8th, 2022, 8:18 pm

Redress10 wrote:
sMASH wrote:

i think its improper, even if i think we should never had left their rule.[/quote]

[/quote]

the only reason i want to be under them is to have proper accounting and auditing of the national assets. and some rationale in the way we manage and structure the ministries.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

That's not how colonialism works. You have no national assets so they don't need to account or audit anything and report back to you. There is also no rationale on how things are managed. Most development would take place around the money making assets of the country. So if you have a refinery then that is the area that would be built up etc. Colonizers have no desire to develop any territory outside of the mother/fatherland[/quote]

thats the old 'colonial' era thinking. modern times is different. it would be managed as a foreign territory, because of PC culture.
that preconecption of them just taking all the assets and leaving the place decrepit, is from the kafra kambon generation that was old enough to see it. is a different way for them to manage now.

and even if, their 'mismanagement' of our lands, woudl still be better than pnms sober leadership any day.

a UK slave would be better than a free pnmite

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » September 8th, 2022, 8:31 pm

sMASH wrote:
Redress10 wrote:
sMASH wrote:

[/quote]

the only reason i want to be under them is to have proper accounting and auditing of the national assets. and some rationale in the way we manage and structure the ministries.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

That's not how colonialism works. You have no national assets so they don't need to account or audit anything and report back to you. There is also no rationale on how things are managed. Most development would take place around the money making assets of the country. So if you have a refinery then that is the area that would be built up etc. Colonizers have no desire to develop any territory outside of the mother/fatherland[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

thats the old 'colonial' era thinking. modern times is different. it would be managed as a foreign territory, because of PC culture.
that preconecption of them just taking all the assets and leaving the place decrepit, is from the kafra kambon generation that was old enough to see it. is a different way for them to manage now.

and even if, their 'mismanagement' of our lands, woudl still be better than pnms sober leadership any day.

a UK slave would be better than a free pnmite[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

Have no old colonialism vs new colonialism. You simply have no rights to any assets that a country under colonial rule has. So there is no need to account to ppl such as yourself.

You are under the impressiom that schools, hospitals etc would still be built. There's a reason why there was such a thing as an island scholarship that ppl like Williams etc used to compete for. They would take the select few and give them opportunities whilst the masses suffered. That model hasn't really changed.

Add to this the fact that places such as the caribbean don't have massive resources and a majority non white/asian population etc and you could expect neglect and discrimination. In all the years that they were in the caribbean, did they set up any "boarding" schools or other elitist institutions etc here?

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » September 8th, 2022, 8:40 pm

hover11 wrote:
The_Honourable wrote:

Why do you trust the white man when other Caribbean countries have taken the step to move away from such. If the privy council decide to stop hearing our cases wouldn't we have to find a new Supreme Court. Independence means you stand on your own yet we running to England every minute for them to decide our affairs. Are we truly independent?

It has nothing to do with "the white man" because there are people of color as Lords in the Privy Council. Trinis and many Caribbean islands simply do not trust the CCJ because of influence.

hover11 wrote:

The Privy Council is not going to stop hearing our cases because legal services is a business in London.

In addition, only four countries have the CCJ as the final court of appeal - Barbados, Belize, Dominica and Guyana. Many other Caricom countries voted down the CCJ and wanted the Privy Council instead... main reason? Zero influence and their rulings are seen as fair.

Relic of Colonialism

Is this even a real argument? The modern commercial world uses London for legal services as the premier seat of arbitration and dispute resolution. In other words, people from legal jurisdictions all over the world continue to utilise jurists from England to resolve complex contractual and other commercial legal disputes. In a recent lecture by Lord Reed, on the occasion of London International Disputes Week, he noted the following: “The UK is one of the world’s largest centres for legal services, ranked second by revenue only to the US. According to two studies published last year it is the world’s leading centre for international dispute resolution by litigation and, equally with Singapore, by arbitration”

Is there some neo colonialist threat that the entire world has succumbed to which we must fend off by abolishing the Privy Council? Off course not. Quite frankly, some of the anti-colonial rhetoric I have heard on this topic sounds more like sophisticated fascism than a genuine desire for a Caribbean Court. Branding the English as evil colonisers in modern times rings hollow in my respectful view in a context where it is this Government’s preference to keep in place laws such as Sedition and maintain other colonial laws which England has long abolished. The Government was quite happy to regulate our lives, lock fellow citizens out of their country, close down businesses, continue to force us to wear masks (with no current justification) for the past two years through the use of an antiquated colonially conceived Public Health Ordinance, but suddenly has a problem with the Privy Council?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=434730&start=60#p10287482

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » September 8th, 2022, 8:43 pm

lol @ the beat up about being independent when same men looking for govt handouts and wanting US

Kickstart
Riding on 16's

Postby Kickstart » September 8th, 2022, 8:49 pm

Good thing she was not a PNM

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Les Bain » September 8th, 2022, 9:16 pm

gastly369 wrote:
maj. tom wrote:Image
Princess Elizabeth 1944 - 18 years old

HM Queen Elizabeth II 26 Feb 1952 - 26 years old.
Hear me out....

Get in line, mayne.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » September 8th, 2022, 9:20 pm

Yuh hadda travel back to 1944 fuh dat

shogun
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby shogun » September 8th, 2022, 9:25 pm

maj. tom wrote:Image

Love this. RIP.

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » September 8th, 2022, 9:42 pm

The_Honourable wrote:
hover11 wrote:
The_Honourable wrote:

It has nothing to do with "the white man" because there are people of color as Lords in the Privy Council. Trinis and many Caribbean islands simply do not trust the CCJ because of influence.

hover11 wrote:

The Privy Council is not going to stop hearing our cases because legal services is a business in London.

In addition, only four countries have the CCJ as the final court of appeal - Barbados, Belize, Dominica and Guyana. Many other Caricom countries voted down the CCJ and wanted the Privy Council instead... main reason? Zero influence and their rulings are seen as fair.

Relic of Colonialism

Is this even a real argument? The modern commercial world uses London for legal services as the premier seat of arbitration and dispute resolution. In other words, people from legal jurisdictions all over the world continue to utilise jurists from England to resolve complex contractual and other commercial legal disputes. In a recent lecture by Lord Reed, on the occasion of London International Disputes Week, he noted the following: “The UK is one of the world’s largest centres for legal services, ranked second by revenue only to the US. According to two studies published last year it is the world’s leading centre for international dispute resolution by litigation and, equally with Singapore, by arbitration”

Is there some neo colonialist threat that the entire world has succumbed to which we must fend off by abolishing the Privy Council? Off course not. Quite frankly, some of the anti-colonial rhetoric I have heard on this topic sounds more like sophisticated fascism than a genuine desire for a Caribbean Court. Branding the English as evil colonisers in modern times rings hollow in my respectful view in a context where it is this Government’s preference to keep in place laws such as Sedition and maintain other colonial laws which England has long abolished. The Government was quite happy to regulate our lives, lock fellow citizens out of their country, close down businesses, continue to force us to wear masks (with no current justification) for the past two years through the use of an antiquated colonially conceived Public Health Ordinance, but suddenly has a problem with the Privy Council?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=434730&start=60#p10287482

Meanwhile the only countries that have the privy council as their final courts are:

Antigua and Barbuda; The Bahamas; British Indian Ocean Territory; the Cook Islands and Niue; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Grenada; Jamaica; St Christopher and Nevis; Saint Lucia and Tuvalu. Appeal to the Judicial Committee also lies in the independent republics of Trinidad and Tobago, Kiribati and Mauritius.

What amazing company we are in.

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby paid_influencer » September 8th, 2022, 10:38 pm

Redress10 wrote:Meanwhile the only countries that have the privy council as their final courts are:

Antigua and Barbuda; The Bahamas; British Indian Ocean Territory; the Cook Islands and Niue; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Grenada; Jamaica; St Christopher and Nevis; Saint Lucia and Tuvalu. Appeal to the Judicial Committee also lies in the independent republics of Trinidad and Tobago, Kiribati and Mauritius.

Redress10, you live over there in England, right?

How is the mood over there?

If you lived on the island, you would understand how corrupt everything is here. There is no illusion that any court here is above being tainted by corruption and crime. The final court of appeal being beyond our borders and having it be as reputable as the Privy Council is a boon for anyone on the island that wants justice carried out.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » September 8th, 2022, 11:30 pm

paid_influencer wrote:
Redress10 wrote:Meanwhile the only countries that have the privy council as their final courts are:

Redress10, you live over there in England, right?

How is the mood over there?

If you lived on the island, you would understand how corrupt everything is here. There is no illusion that any court here is above being tainted by corruption and crime. The final court of appeal being beyond our borders and having it be as reputable as the Privy Council is a boon for anyone on the island that wants justice carried out.

man saying we better off with out them, but drinking tetley and twinnings.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » September 8th, 2022, 11:58 pm

Kissinger outlasts another one!!!

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » September 9th, 2022, 12:36 am

All this epic beat up, because an old woman that washed her hands of this place and its people six decades ago and literally did not give a corgis hairy arse expulsion about ANYBODY posting on this platform, or this country kicked the proverbial bucket. Allyuh thought she was immortal? When she dead, the corpse turns into a bouquet of roses? Or does it simply remain preserved in perpetuity and not rot like others? After she dead, the world stop spinning? Does all life on this planet come to an abrupt and definte end when she expired?
She dead, that's that, and it was an expected eventuality. Her idiot offspring will ascend to take her place, as expected also to be the eventuality, so nothing amazing there either.

Seriously, I want someone here to tell me, what's the purpose for this amount of beat up I seeing from some of you, and how does her death or anything that follows as the cause of said frothing improve or worsen your immediate existence? Is it because she dead that in your minds your world collapsing around you? I really want to know.

She's not the first in that family to die, and she ain't going to be the last either. Relax and move along.

stev
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby stev » September 9th, 2022, 1:36 am

FrankChag wrote:

this is the most astounding thing I've learned today. I am shocked and appalled!

the TTDF had a steel orchestra? I thought they cud only march and rob small groceries.....oh how the times have changed,

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » September 9th, 2022, 1:47 am

Heard that all TT flags ordered to be flown at half mast today and tomorrow.

stev
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby stev » September 9th, 2022, 1:47 am

Redress10 wrote:You all do know that there are colonies in existance today right?

Just look at the state of those countries and people and you will get an idea.

You all need to get it through your head that colonies serve the crown. Not the other way around.

I'm not agreeing to with the comment of remaining under British rule nor am I agreeing to independence...I'm just asking a question...

name a said colony that exist today with the workforce and resources that can match T&T...don't compare cornflakes to sweetbread

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”