Forums

718 vehicles stolen in 6 months- Aqua the preferred choice

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

718 vehicles stolen in 6 months- Aqua the preferred choice

Postby redmanjp » August 5th, 2022, 11:28 am

Aqua the most stolen- is it simply that it have more Aqua than any other model of vehicle in the country? or thieves actively seeking out this car?

https://newsday.co.tt/2022/08/04/718-vehicles-stolen-in-6-months-aqua-the-preferred-choice/

IN the first half of this year, some 718 vehicles were reported stolen.

This was revealed by Insp Lloyd Lazarus of the Stolen Vehicles Unit at a media conference at the police headquarters in Port of Spain on Thursday.

The figure from January-June included 504 vehicles subject to larceny, and 214 subject to robbery – the latter often at gunpoint, he added.

Of the 718 vehicles, some 268 were recovered which, Lazarus said, was "close to 50 percent."

He listed the types of cars most often targeted by thieves.

These are the Toyota Aqua (113), Nissan AD Wagon (70), Nissan B14 (37) and Toyota Fielder (35.) Lazarus said the main police divisions for vehicle thefts were Northern (223), Central (136), North Eastern (98) and Southern (83.)

"These vehicles are generally targeted because of a couple of things. One, these vehicles have low to no security features, so it makes it easy for the perpetrators to steal these vehicles.

"They are also vehicles that can be easily cloned. We have persons who would have been involved in serious accidents where their vehicle would have been written off and they will sell it to someone as scrap. The perpetrator and his friends will now steal a vehicle and transfer the chassis number onto another vehicle that will mirror the image of the one that was originally written off in the accident."

He said thefts were facilitated by the large numbers of these types of targeted vehicles now on the roads, with pale-coloured vehicles being easier to disguise than others.

Lazarus urged the public to safeguard their vehicles by not leaving them unattended with the keys in the ignition or engine running, and by etching the vehicle number on the window or at a secret spot inside.

Snr Supt Rishi Singh of the Port of Spain CID said few or no cases of vehicle theft had occurred when drivers use official car parks in the capital.

Lazarus said most robberies of vehicles took place at gunpoint.

On a positive note, he said among the vehicles eventually recovered by the police, most were intact rather than dismantled into parts.

Asked about the existence of places known to sell car parts from stolen vehicles, Lazarus replied by advising drivers to etch the chassis number onto their vehicle.

He later told Newsday that most stolen vehicles were sold to unsuspecting buyers, with this dishonesty facilitated by delays in registration at the Licensing Office as imposed on buyers for several years while they were still paying instalments on a work-to-buy scheme.

"You could only do the transfer when you are finished paying off for the vehicle," he explained of the scheme.

“After two years of paying, you could find out it is a stolen vehicle."

Lazarus recalled someone owning a car for ten years, only to then find out it was stolen property.

Some stolen vehicles were used to commit criminal acts, while others were used as sources of spare parts, Lazarus added.

After a lull during the pandemic, Lazarus said TT had seen an increase in vehicle thefts since last year, but also pointed to an increase in arrests of offenders by the police.

He said the PoS had seen a 400 per cent increase in arrests for vehicle thefts, from two individuals in the first half of last year, to ten people charged so far this year.

Lazarus reckoned other police divisions would have seen similar figures.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: 718 vehicles stolen in 6 months- Aqua the preferred choice

Postby VexXx Dogg » August 5th, 2022, 11:32 am

Aquas are cheap, but repairs are expensive and things break often.
Makes it an ideal candidate for theft/ parts cannibalisation.

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » August 5th, 2022, 11:33 am

Big up to Nissan

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » August 5th, 2022, 11:37 am

saw this report on tv last night

u dont need any official to say aqua is d most stolen , jes do some noticing on fb is like almost daily they teefin it

according to zander they teefin it for d hybrid battery which value at least 10k , obviously they will scrap it for parts too & we all know toyota parts not cheap

i surprise d kia 2700 1ton van not on list of most stolen cause u often seeing on fb they getting teef too

u hadda GPS every vehicle even if is a econo shitbox worth 5k cause they teffin everything they cud get their hands on ...
Last edited by Rovin on August 5th, 2022, 11:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

leavingforgood
Street 2NR

Postby leavingforgood » August 5th, 2022, 11:50 am

Aqua is the new Tiida. Anyone willingly buying an Aqua wants to have their car stolen.

I just hope these criminals stay far away from my car's make and model. And FAR away from me.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » August 5th, 2022, 12:40 pm

and here i was trying to decide between an Aqua or Fielder. well maybe d Fielder less likely to get teef than the Aqua and i would just put a GPS in it.

but why they say' low or no security features' for all those cars? what security features missing from these?

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » August 5th, 2022, 12:47 pm

Is how tiida just drop off lol

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » August 5th, 2022, 1:12 pm

leavingforgood wrote:Aqua is the new Tiida. Anyone willingly buying an Aqua wants to have their car stolen.

I just hope these criminals stay far away from my car's make and model. And FAR away from me.
Wha yuh have?

fozzy2010
3NE 2NR for life

Postby fozzy2010 » August 5th, 2022, 1:22 pm

redmanjp wrote:and here i was trying to decide between an Aqua or Fielder. well maybe d Fielder less likely to get teef than the Aqua and i would just put a GPS in it.

but why they say' low or no security features' for all those cars? what security features missing from these?

Apparently, most of the Aquas being stolen are the key start ones and not the push button start.

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » August 5th, 2022, 2:01 pm

redmanjp wrote:and here i was trying to decide between an Aqua or Fielder. well maybe d Fielder less likely to get teef than the Aqua and i would just put a GPS in it.

Fielder and aqua uses the same engine and suspension parts so it won't be much of a difference :?

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » August 5th, 2022, 2:02 pm

fozzy2010 wrote:

Apparently, most of the Aquas being stolen are the key start ones and not the push button start.

I heard the opposite, I heard its the push button ones that are being stolen more and easier to steal

hustla_ambition101
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hustla_ambition101 » August 5th, 2022, 8:43 pm

Musical Doc wrote:
fozzy2010 wrote:

I heard the opposite, I heard its the push button ones that are being stolen more and easier to steal
Exactly, especially when owners leave the fob inside the car

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » August 5th, 2022, 9:39 pm

so they bypass the immobilizer?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » August 5th, 2022, 9:56 pm

do they carry chipkey ?
or normal hotwire/short the switch to get them to turn on?

redmanjp wrote:so they bypass the immobilizer?

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”