TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Ras Shorty gets "Ras Shortie I Street' ...

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » July 29th, 2022, 11:22 am

well deserved honor , man made some good songs back in his time unlike others who singing ah pack ah sh1t & getting keys to d city .... [meh flame suit is orn :lol: ]

https://trinidadexpress.com/newsextra/r ... z5_Ltdxvsw

Ras Shorty gets "Ras Shortie I Street'

Five of Ras Shorty I’s (Garfield Blackman) children wiped away tears yesterday at the naming of a street in his honour in San Fernando.

San Fernando’s Short Street has been renamed Ras Shorty I Street. While the accompanying plaque, which briefly described the legendary calypsonian, was spelled correctly, the actual street name carrying his name was spelled incorrectly—“Shortie”.

However, the overjoyed Blackmans said: “It’s about time” and were not about to let that minor setback ruin their day.

San Fernando Mayor Junia Regrello recognised the mistake and promised to fix it.

Speaking at the unveiling along High Street in San Fernando, Regrello said: “Much can be said of Ras Shorty, and much more will be said by coming generations, but one must recognise him for his immense talent and incomparable contribution to the art form.

“Through the recognition of his peers and the calypso fraternity, greatness was bestowed upon him. It is against this background that the San Fernando City Corporation is recognising the contributions of this outstanding artist by indelibly etching his name on the landscape of the city of San Fernando,” he added.

Specially invited guests and passers-by along High Street were serenaded by the stirring sounds of Issac Blackman and his sisters, Nehilet, Marge and Abbi Blackman, as they sang some of their father’s greatest hit songs.

The quartet was backed up by their brother, Daniel, who played the guitar as they sang “Shanti Om” and “Watch Out My Children”.

Family life

Immediately following his performance, Isaac talked about how much it meant to him that his father’s memory was being honoured by having a street named after him.

“I am grateful to everyone who helped to make this happen because it is a powerful and beautiful thing. When you have someone who gave their life for the love of their country, and whenever the love is shown back, it is deeply appreciated,” he said.

Isaac credited his father for teaching him the value of family as one of life’s lessons.

“Now that I am a father myself, I have so much appreciation for the time he spent with us. People talk about love, but living it is a different thing—and he truly lived that love.

“He took the time away from everything else and created all that he did, and understood the importance of what he did for Trinidad and Tobago. He dedicated himself to his family by teaching us music, how to sing, how to perform, and how to be patriotic Trinidadians and have strength.

“The lessons are many, but the most important thing is love of country and love of family,” he said.

“The strength of our society is the strength of our family. Sometimes people think some incidents or some situations are too hard to overcome, but love conquers all.

“Sometimes people make things more important than people. People make things, not things that make people, so value life and value each other and value family and use your strength and resources to build each other up... that is the first step in becoming a progressive society,” Blackman said.

Value of unity

Nehilet Blackman, third-to-last of Ras Shorty’s 23 children, expressed similar thoughts, saying her father taught them the value of unity.

“I couldn’t hold back the tears (today) because this was long overdue,” she said.

When it comes to the appreciation of her father and his contribution to Trinidad and Tobago’s musical landscape, Nehilet said time reveals everything and nothing happens before its time.

She noted the family also wanted to build a school in South Trinidad dedicated to music and the creative arts industry.

“When we look at Jamaica and see Bob Marley has a museum, that’s what we want to do eventually. This is just the beginning,” she said.

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Ras Shorty gets "Ras Shortie I Street' ...

Postby eliteauto » July 29th, 2022, 12:07 pm

Already fixed thankfully
FB_IMG_1659110733712.jpg

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » July 29th, 2022, 12:10 pm

We should be naming streets:

“No Litter St”

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » July 29th, 2022, 12:15 pm

dise d quality of d pole they will put d man name on & invite so many of his family to a big reveal - what a disgraceful shame .....

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » July 29th, 2022, 12:17 pm

people will read that as "1st" rather than I(i)

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » July 29th, 2022, 12:22 pm

16 cycles wrote:people will read that as "1st" rather than I(i)
I said the same thing

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » July 29th, 2022, 12:35 pm

Rovin wrote:dise d quality of d pole they will put d man name on & invite so many of his family to a big reveal - what a disgraceful shame .....
Tie straps ftw

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » July 29th, 2022, 1:14 pm

16 cycles wrote:people will read that as "1st" rather than I(i)

Yup thought this too

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » July 29th, 2022, 1:20 pm

Any for Ras Cokey I ?

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Ras Shorty gets

Postby Rovin » July 29th, 2022, 5:41 pm

gastly369 wrote:
Rovin wrote:dise d quality of d pole they will put d man name on & invite so many of his family to a big reveal - what a disgraceful shame .....
Tie straps ftw

boi d man name like it not worthy of a new post , a coat of paint or even some welding but tie straps man - naaahhh

is like they just switch out d name plate & is ahhh boi we proud we doing this :roll:

thats a real insult to d man's legacy , if i was his family i woulda walk out when i saw that .... :x

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » July 29th, 2022, 5:51 pm

Yep.

This is T&Ts way of saying thank you, we appreciate you for all your “hard work”.

Blasted stink urine smelling rusty scrap iron pole and a Ras Shorty 1st Street sign.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » July 29th, 2022, 5:58 pm

ras shorty 1st

remember the scaffolding christmas tree in PoS? it cost like 100k but like 10k in material...

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » July 31st, 2022, 1:27 pm

Regrello hah belly to be dey next to that shame, skinning he stink LFD RFD PNM mouth.
Watch how one ah Shorty's daughters even seems to be saying to him "eh yuh cnut, yuh spell meh fadda name wrong!"

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » August 5th, 2022, 9:03 am

FB_IMG_1659704552988.jpg

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » August 5th, 2022, 9:50 am

K

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » August 5th, 2022, 4:48 pm

So that was Regrello I saw walking in sando earlier in that outfit.
Thought to myself "nah is not him, Regrello supposed to be taller"

woops

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » August 5th, 2022, 6:50 pm

like he hear bout how fb ppl buff him up for a shiddy tie strap ole sign

buh they still eh put ah coat of paint on it ....

shogun
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby shogun » August 6th, 2022, 1:03 pm

Shorty I was arguably one of the best locally produced songwriters. I'd put his best songs up there with the greatest internationally known artists any day. He deserved even more than this, but given the financial climate, I'm sure any money spent on statues or anything more substantial will cetch serious pushback from the public.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”