Forums

Growing vegetables/food crops with artificial light

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

aaron17
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Growing vegetables/food crops with artificial light

Postby aaron17 » July 3rd, 2022, 10:08 am

Anybody has experience with this? I have an area in my back yard ( concrete)with good space but not enough sunlight and i was thinking of planting in pots using artificial light. Thanks.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Growing plants with artificial light

Postby VexXx Dogg » July 3rd, 2022, 10:14 am

Why not get some low light plants, and nature do its thing?

j.o.e

Postby j.o.e » July 3rd, 2022, 10:54 am

VexXx Dogg wrote:Why not get some low light plants, and nature do its thing?

Because **cough cough** weed

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » July 3rd, 2022, 10:56 am

in your living room like what the minister say
use the tv for lights

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » July 3rd, 2022, 11:38 am

j.o.e wrote:
VexXx Dogg wrote:Why not get some low light plants, and nature do its thing?

Because **cough cough** weed

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In that case he need full spectrum light, not just white.

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » July 3rd, 2022, 11:57 am

What about chive ..celery and those food plants?

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Growing vegetables/food crops with artificial light

Postby timelapse » July 4th, 2022, 7:38 am

I have lots of experience with indoor growing under artificial lights.Gimme an idea of the space you working with and what you want to grow.Then I'll give you a shopping list

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » July 4th, 2022, 8:33 am

timelapse wrote:I have lots of experience with indoor growing under artificial lights.Gimme an idea of the space you working with and what you want to grow.Then I'll give you a shopping list
Cool thanks.

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » July 4th, 2022, 8:40 am

aaron17 wrote:
timelapse wrote:I have lots of experience with indoor growing under artificial lights.Gimme an idea of the space you working with and what you want to grow.Then I'll give you a shopping list
Cool thanks.
A typical room size

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » July 4th, 2022, 10:10 am

aaron17 wrote:
aaron17 wrote:
Cool thanks.
A typical room size
Measurements in ft.,thanks. Height as well.This is to calculate how much watts/sq ft.If you want to buy fancy lights , no scene, but I have similar results using a diy set up with regular led bulbs.

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » July 4th, 2022, 11:11 am

I wanna try something small first though...like a half ah barrel or something. I have rel height too

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » July 5th, 2022, 7:09 pm

aaron17 wrote:I wanna try something small first though...like a half ah barrel or something. I have rel height too
Arite.On average, you gonna need 20-30 watts of actual bulb power/not equivalent power per square foot of plants in LED bulbs.For a barrel size, thats one 30 watt bulb,or 3x10 watt.Light requirements depends on the crops really ,so take that into consideration.I had Cannabis, pepper, tomato,mint,parsley grow at 30 watts per sq ft with success.
All depends on what you want to you may also need a timer for your bulbs.I got one at Bhagwansingh's for about $80tt.The bulbs, I bought at bright ideas.Bought some $8 surface mount light sockets, some wood, screws,electrical wire and tie straps and made my own lighting fixture.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » July 5th, 2022, 7:10 pm

timelapse wrote:
aaron17 wrote:I wanna try something small first though...like a half ah barrel or something. I have rel height too
Arite.On average, you gonna need 20-30 watts of actual bulb power/not equivalent power per square foot of plants in LED bulbs.For a barrel size, thats one 30 watt bulb,or 3x10 watt.Light requirements depends on the crops really ,so take that into consideration.I had Cannabis, pepper, tomato,mint,parsley grow at 30 watts per sq ft with success.
All depends on what you want to you may also need a timer for your bulbs.I got one at Bhagwansingh's for about $80tt.The bulbs, I bought at bright ideas.Bought some $8 surface mount light sockets, some wood, screws,electrical wire and tie straps and made my own lighting fixture.
Indoor, you going to need a fan or two

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » July 5th, 2022, 10:47 pm

timelapse wrote:

What kinda lights you use?

One of my plant growing pardner bought some lights with heat sinks and needed fans to keep them cool.

Room used to get warm so he was considering an ac for it and carbon dioxide with a timer relay and solenoid to release CO2 in the room.

Apparently that's the setup the light skin boys use for their stuff. Plants grew fast.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » July 6th, 2022, 7:44 am

nervewrecker wrote:
timelapse wrote:

What kinda lights you use?

One of my plant growing pardner bought some lights with heat sinks and needed fans to keep them cool.

Room used to get warm so he was considering an ac for it and carbon dioxide with a timer relay and solenoid to release CO2 in the room.

Apparently that's the setup the light skin boys use for their stuff. Plants grew fast.
Regular LED.Just break off the diffuser in a vice.It comes off easily.
IMG_20220706_074200.jpg
IMG_20220706_074233.jpg

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » July 6th, 2022, 7:49 am

I always thought u needed special bulbs...thanks for the info.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » July 6th, 2022, 7:52 am

i thought the light has to have correct spectrum of colours

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » July 6th, 2022, 7:55 am

The reflector material is vapour barrier that is used for roofing.The only place I found it sold by the foot is R.Maye hardware

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » July 6th, 2022, 8:06 am

pugboy wrote:i thought the light has to have correct spectrum of colours
5000K is more similar to morning or evening sunlight while 6500K mimics midday sunlight. In general, plants can survive within the color temperature range of 2700K-7000K, so both 5000K and 6500K are within an acceptable range.
The bulbs I use are 6500 k.Watch the fine writing on the pic I put up.White light is full spectrum of colours.
I have one of those purple fancy lights.The only thing I use that for is to germinate seeds.Wasnt nearly enough light to make my cannabis have big buds.If you have the money for fancy lights, great,if you don't want to spend big money, you can diy with great results.
On the CO2 note, this is really good for plants, just don't keep it in your house.
It can raise your blood pressure, cause respiratory issues, headaches,etc.

I try a ting and it worked, based on my research, but neckbeards will neckbeard.The elite indoor growers may be deeply offended that my grow setup even exists and I don't have fancy lights and humidifier and all that other stuff.Dont take them on, they get caught up with the sales pitch.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » July 6th, 2022, 9:11 am

timelapse wrote:
pugboy wrote:i thought the light has to have correct spectrum of colours
5000K is more similar to morning or evening sunlight while 6500K mimics midday sunlight. In general, plants can survive within the color temperature range of 2700K-7000K, so both 5000K and 6500K are within an acceptable range.
The bulbs I use are 6500 k.Watch the fine writing on the pic I put up.White light is full spectrum of colours.
I have one of those purple fancy lights.The only thing I use that for is to germinate seeds.Wasnt nearly enough light to make my cannabis have big buds.If you have the money for fancy lights, great,if you don't want to spend big money, you can diy with great results.
On the CO2 note, this is really good for plants, just don't keep it in your house.
It can raise your blood pressure, cause respiratory issues, headaches,etc.

I try a ting and it worked, based on my research, but neckbeards will neckbeard.The elite indoor growers may be deeply offended that my grow setup even exists and I don't have fancy lights and humidifier and all that other stuff.Dont take them on, they get caught up with the sales pitch.

Any light within the human visible spectrum will enhance plant growth and photosynthesis. That said, there are some basic misconceptions in this post.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » July 6th, 2022, 11:43 am

Light Absorption for Photosynthesis

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Biology/ligabs.html

The measured rate of photosynthesis as a function of absorbed wavelength correlates well with the absorption frequencies of chlorophyll a.

The plot of the absorption spectra of the chlorophylls plus beta carotene correlates well with the observed photosynthetic output.

It is evident from these absorption and output plots that only the red and blue ends of the visible part of the electromagnetic spectrum are used by plants in photosynthesis. The reflection and transmission of the middle of the spectrum gives the leaves their green visual color.

Which leads to the caveat for white LED sources:
The emitted wavelengths of a white LED (solid curve) include peaks in the blue and yellow areas, but are interpreted as white light by the human eye. The relative light sensitivity of a human eye (dotted curve) is shown for comparison.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » July 6th, 2022, 12:03 pm

Graphs don't grow plants dan.I have an expensive grow light which is based on those figures.There was zero difference between that and my diy setup, which was cheaper, and price enabled me to build it on a bigger scale than the ready-built one,increasing my plant capacity.While the middle spectrum of light is wasted, nobody cares really,power consumption is around the same, no love lost.
Like I said, neckbeards will neckbeard

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » July 6th, 2022, 12:12 pm

maj. tom wrote:Image
The emitted wavelengths of a white LED (solid curve) include peaks in the blue and yellow areas, but are interpreted as white light by the human eye. The relative light sensitivity of a human eye (dotted curve) is shown for comparison.

Valid. But this is not a representative spectral curve for all LED white light.

timelapse wrote:Graphs don't grow plants dan.I have an expensive grow light which is based on those figures.There was zero difference between that and my diy setup, which was cheaper, and price enabled me to build it on a bigger scale than the ready-built one,increasing my plant capacity.While the middle spectrum of light is wasted, nobody cares really,power consumption is around the same, no love lost.

That's not the point. You can hang anything up and it will be useful to the plant.

You focusing on 6500K is wrong. Midday sun is 5500K. It is likely that your plants will benefit from an even higher red shift to 3500K so that they can absorb more near infrared. Mixing color temperature can yield results similar to mixing LED frequency if you lack the background or equipment for actual measurement.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » July 6th, 2022, 12:44 pm

timelapse wrote:Graphs don't grow plants dan.I have an expensive grow light which is based on those figures.There was zero difference between that and my diy setup, which was cheaper, and price enabled me to build it on a bigger scale than the ready-built one,increasing my plant capacity.While the middle spectrum of light is wasted, nobody cares really,power consumption is around the same, no love lost.

nobody cares really.

But I posted that for the benefit of the OP so he can be knowledgeable on how the world works and for this specific topic, and not be content like you that it was magic. I didn't write anything to contradict your experiments, in fact what you did it would obviously match the known parameters for plant growth, but like you offended at everything so go around calling people neckbeard like if you any better than anyone else with your beliefs.

Everything on Trinituner have to be a spat and argument for some people.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » July 6th, 2022, 1:41 pm

adnj wrote:
maj. tom wrote:Image

Valid. But this is not a representative spectral curve for all LED white light.

That's not the point. You can hang anything up and it will be useful to the plant.

You focusing on 6500K is wrong. Midday sun is 5500K. It is likely that your plants will benefit from an even higher red shift to 3500K so that they can absorb more near infrared. Mixing color temperature can yield results similar to mixing LED frequency if you lack the background or equipment for actual measurement.
For cannabis, it kinda is a balance.Bluer light keeps plants short, while encouraging more branch nodes.Redder light gives lengthier branches and bigger buds.I didn't see the point in having to switch up lights, especially as I have different types plants at different stages of growth in the same grow room .I have it on a 12/12 timer which works for multiple crops.That and it much cheaper.
And again, this is what works for ME based on firsthand experience.You can theory how much you like, great for you.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » July 6th, 2022, 6:25 pm

Note the red and blue growing lights. As is the theory. :lol:

AeroFarms uses a patented aeroponic growing system to grow produce. The company currently owns and operates four farming facilities in and around Newark including a 70,000 square-foot facility, which is the largest indoor vertical farm in the world based on annual growing capacity.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » July 6th, 2022, 7:32 pm

Here's a study of all that since we nerding out..
https://www.producegrower.com/article/production-leds-on-lettuce-white-light-versus-red-blue-light/
My take home: A red/blue light that will deliver any kind of substantial growth costs way more than a full spectrum diy setup.
Sorry boy Aaron, like we taking the fun out of this thing.If you going ahead with it, let us know how it goes.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » July 6th, 2022, 8:02 pm

timelapse wrote:Here's a study of all that since we nerding out..
https://www.producegrower.com/article/production-leds-on-lettuce-white-light-versus-red-blue-light/
My take home: A red/blue light that will deliver any kind of substantial growth costs way more than a full spectrum diy setup.
Sorry boy Aaron, like we taking the fun out of this thing.If you going ahead with it, let us know how it goes.
If you look at the color spectrum you can compare 6500k and 3500K white LEDs.

By using the combination of the two color temperatures you can more closely approximate the wavelengths that will give a spectrum that more closely matches what you said you wanted.

[img]https://www.digikey.com/en/articles/~/media/Images/Article%20Library/TechZone%20Articles/2013/April/Defining%20the%20Color%20Characteristics%20of%20White%20LEDs/article-2013april-defining-the-color-char-fig3.jpg[/img]

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » July 6th, 2022, 8:29 pm

there is a local company ifarm which doing similar to that aerofarm all indoor setup growing small shoot greens

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » July 6th, 2022, 8:30 pm

what about them led bulbs where you can change the colour
amazon has them with alexa control so you can schedule diff colours

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”