TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Ricky Jai: Chutney music dying without support! ...

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » June 19th, 2022, 12:22 pm

https://trinidadexpress.com/features/lo ... s-tWSgLJc0

Jai: Chutney music dying without support!

Government must do more to preserve chutney music.

This is the reasoning from chutney and chutney-soca musician, Rikki Jai (Samraj Jaimungal). Jai was speaking at a webinar presented by the Office of the president of the University of Trinidad and Tobago (UTT) on “Tradition to Innovation: Fusion Indian Music in T&T”, in commemoration of Indian Arrival Day 2022.

Jai lamented: “Chutney music is deteriorating but who is educating the chutney artistes on how to write a song or what are the elements you need to put in your song?” he questioned

Jai said a new generation of artistes is being left behind. “Where is the school of thought to put into place for these youngsters? These youngsters who are now trying to follow in my footsteps, where is the school of continuation?

“So, if we want to talk about tradition and innovation, how can we expect the young people to really innovate if they are not being taught? Indian entertainment needs a proper forum, it needs proper direction, it needs proper education,” Jai said.

Jai said for innovation to take place there needs to be funding. “The calypso fraternity has a system in place for the continuation of the calypso and soca art forms through workshops and all sorts of different things that happen on a yearly basis and on a grandiose scale all over Trinidad and Tobago,” Jai said.

He said there needs to be a balance in the way culture is supported. “There is a one-sidedness of how culture is viewed in Trinidad and Tobago. I myself have been in culture for the better part of 35 years and the allocation that is given to one side of culture as opposed to the other is totally unbalanced. If you want people to become innovative then somebody has to fund it.

“I have funded my career for the most part. If you really want innovation then the Government has to come in and play a bigger part and recognise that the Indo-Trinbagonian aspect is a great importance as well and it has much to offer the world and it can’t be left to be borne on the shoulders of the artiste alone,” Jai said.

Jai said workshops must be taken to the communities. “I am successful but most Indo-Trinbagonian artistes out here are not in a position to do the things that I have done. I spent all my money for culture, for innovation and for change. I think that this generation needs help more than ever if you want this tradition to innovation to be something better than where I left it. Much more needs to be done and put into the pot which can have a big effect on how things change, how lyrics are written, how management and proper guidance can mould young artiste and entertainers in the right direction,” Jai said.

Pichakaaree singer, Mukesh Babooram said pichakaaree is also in need of funding. “Pichakaaree has an issue with funding. If it is not funded it will die. But pichakaaree is not considered national culture. For pichakaaree forum to be more relevant it must be given the life support it needs it must be recognised supported and funded,” Babooram said.

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Ricky Jai: Chutney music dying without support! ...

Postby gastly369 » June 19th, 2022, 12:23 pm

*Stares skenglyyy skilibenglyyy gunmanlyyy

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » June 19th, 2022, 12:29 pm

How many songs you could really sing about rum?

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » June 19th, 2022, 12:51 pm

this is why you dont get invited anywhere

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » June 19th, 2022, 12:53 pm

the same number you could sing about jump and wave yuh rag
hover11 wrote:How many songs you could really sing about rum?

Cantmis
punchin NOS

Postby Cantmis » June 19th, 2022, 12:54 pm

Let it die!

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » June 19th, 2022, 12:57 pm

I hate chutney music with a passion, but it'd be shame to lose part of our country's cultural identity.

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » June 19th, 2022, 1:00 pm

Why doesn’t the private sector step up and support chutney? Why is it the Government’s responsibility?

Let Angostura et al pump funds into that music sector. As someone highlighted, rum is almost always a topic in a chutney song. That would be good advertising for the alcoholic beverage manufacturers.

If that doesn’t happen, it’s not like we will be losing any real music of value.
Last edited by Rory Phoulorie on June 19th, 2022, 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Premchand1976
Riding on 16's

Postby Premchand1976 » June 19th, 2022, 1:00 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:I hate chutney music with a passion, but it'd be shame to lose part of our country's cultural identity.
My sentiments for those remake rubbish most of the local artistes call " chutney ". Give me the likes of Rasika, Rakesh and a few others with the classical style Hindi worded chutney songs. Doesn't get better than that.........

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » June 19th, 2022, 1:01 pm

let it die its natural death. chutney music is a blight to the indian community with a hypocrite like jairam samungal talking up in he kaka hole. imagine the man sing white oak and water, singing about rum to wild up them indian youths and he DO NOT drink alcohol or eat meat. he probably living in the US also. i remember he had a pharmacy in TT but he is one that lead to the downfall and rum drinking , wife beating, cutlass chasing, grammoxzone drinking loco indians in TT. jorge sing is a next one that needs to hush he kant and let it die its natural death.
Last edited by daring dragoon on June 19th, 2022, 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kickstart
Riding on 16's

Postby Kickstart » June 19th, 2022, 1:03 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:I hate chutney music with a passion, but it'd be shame to lose part of our country's cultural identity.
It depends on what type of Chutney music. If it's traditional Chutney which is sung in bhopuri then if should be preserved. If on the other hand it's about rum and in English then that type should die.

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Les Bain » June 19th, 2022, 1:30 pm

So what Rikki meant to say is that Chutney dying without Government money.

There are many musical genres in the history of recorded music that after having their time completely went the way of the dodo or are being preserved by niche interest groups or dedicated hobbyists.

If chutney is dying, that's due to a cultural shift. That's life. This young generation prefers closet case homo dancehall and rum/gun anthems as a soundtrack for getting hepatitis in Carnival, boat cruise and Jam Naked.

For me, whatever money funding ALL dotish local music is better spent on infrastructure maintenance. Go beg private industries for money.

DMan7
punchin NOS

Postby DMan7 » June 19th, 2022, 1:35 pm

Chutney music is the same derivative crap over and over and they call it a new "tune".

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » June 19th, 2022, 2:01 pm

Get rid of this rubbish music and ALL the other songs that also contribute to corrupting, encouraging and inspiring our youths to abide and live by the disgusting lyrics and noise pollution.

White oak and water?
Every Monday is Caura?
Rum is my lover?
Rum in my veins?
Rum till i die?
I want my rum in the morning?
Six outside owkayyyy owkayyyy?

Jeezus crice WDF is really going on with these Indian and African “artists”????

Mmoney607
30 pounds of Boost

Postby Mmoney607 » June 19th, 2022, 2:23 pm

Long live chutney. Why allyuh want to hide that part of allyuh culture? :lol:

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » June 19th, 2022, 2:33 pm

Jai lamented: “Chutney music is deteriorating but who is educating the chutney artistes on how to write a song or what are the elements you need to put in your song?” he questioned

Jai said a new generation of artistes is being left behind. “Where is the school of thought to put into place for these youngsters? These youngsters who are now trying to follow in my footsteps, where is the school of continuation?

“So, if we want to talk about tradition and innovation, how can we expect the young people to really innovate if they are not being taught? Indian entertainment needs a proper forum, it needs proper direction, it needs proper education,” Jai said.

So does Mr Jai live in TnT? There's no problem furthering your career abroad but don't come and spout your hypocritical nonsense when you and many of the "older" artists no longer even live here. Who is going to train/mentor upcoming people. Do yuh thing and stay quiet, don't put the onus on anyone else when you in a position to do it but don't.

They promote culture only for the $$ and not to actually further said culture

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » June 19th, 2022, 2:35 pm

Les Bain wrote:So what Rikki meant to say is that Chutney dying without Government money.

THIS

Leeching off the government and bold to call themselves "entrepreneurs".

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » June 19th, 2022, 2:41 pm

Mmoney607 wrote:Long live chutney. Why allyuh want to hide that part of allyuh culture? :lol:

allyuh????

You not Indo?

matr1x
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby matr1x » June 19th, 2022, 3:20 pm

MaxPower wrote:Get rid of this rubbish music and ALL the other songs that also contribute to corrupting, encouraging and inspiring our youths to abide and live by the disgusting lyrics and noise pollution.

White oak and water?
Every Monday is Caura?
Rum is my lover?
Rum in my veins?
Rum till i die?

You ever heard Latin music. It's no better. It's like ghetto flex

Mmoney607
30 pounds of Boost

Postby Mmoney607 » June 19th, 2022, 3:23 pm

SuperiorMan wrote:
Mmoney607 wrote:Long live chutney. Why allyuh want to hide that part of allyuh culture? :lol:

allyuh????

You not Indo?

Nope

Cantmis
punchin NOS

Postby Cantmis » June 19th, 2022, 4:21 pm

“Hold the Lata Mangeshkar, give me soca, aha-aha"

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » June 19th, 2022, 4:37 pm

Not my taste of music............

Premchand1976
Riding on 16's

Postby Premchand1976 » June 19th, 2022, 5:34 pm

MaxPower wrote:Get rid of this rubbish music and ALL the other songs that also contribute to corrupting, encouraging and inspiring our youths to abide and live by the disgusting lyrics and noise pollution.

White oak and water?
Every Monday is Caura?
Rum is my lover?
Rum in my veins?
Rum till i die?

Well Bai, when I thought I had heard the last of the rubbish, I now hear the gecko with the local version of Ratan Lambhiye( the song that the brother and sister light up social media with ). This local mix is yet another disgrace to the true quality and appreciation of it's lyrics. Then again, when ppl head bad, anything does sound nice eh

Numb3r4
Shifting into 6th

Postby Numb3r4 » June 19th, 2022, 5:39 pm

hover11 wrote:How many songs you could really sing about rum?

You'd be surprised.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » June 19th, 2022, 6:21 pm

matr1x wrote:
You ever heard Latin music. It's no better. It's like ghetto flex

Ummm na, check yourself again big man.

I think you tying up yuhself with Reggaeton.

Latin Music is beautiful, try some dance classes.

paid_influencer

Postby paid_influencer » June 19th, 2022, 6:39 pm

good. it is good that it dies. one setta vice pretending to be culture.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » June 19th, 2022, 7:06 pm

Rory Phoulorie wrote:Why doesn’t the private sector step up and support chutney? Why is it the Government’s responsibility?

Let Angostura et al pump funds into that music sector. As someone highlighted, rum is almost always a topic in a chutney song. That would be good advertising for the alcoholic beverage manufacturers.

If that doesn’t happen, it’s not like we will be losing any real music of value.

WELL SAID !

i too agree with anything cultural [dont confuse it with religion] included carnival that d ppl who love chutney\whatever local genre of "music" & those that benefit financially from events associated shud fund it & some do like angostura, carib factory , heineken , importers of various liquor , soft drinks companies etc ... why shud ANY govt fund what SOME ppl like\dont like, use that $ instead to at least fix d potholes & water problem, i think that d population will appreciate & get more use from fixing just those 2 problems ...

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » June 19th, 2022, 7:37 pm

basically 2 types of chutney music

d old skool traditional yakesh, sam boodram , sundar popo, drupatie , sonny mann etc generation which has alot of traditional indian instruments some fused with an upbeat tempo with some or all english words in it ... over 40 crowd

then mostly d under 40 crowd : rum\liquor , horn, drinking, liming , partying, feteing, perverted type songs 99% sang in english catering ..... at least both genres dont sing about drugs, violence, killing, pimpin etc

kinda like comparing old traditional reggae to dub\dance-hall to new school gaza\gully now into zesser locally

american rap\hip-hop have a similar evolution from old time simple rhyming , to angry rough voice singing about drugs, violence, killing, pimpin, beyotches\hoes, cussing etc to mumble rap etc

pick your poison or choose to not pick any at all & listen to some adult contemporary white ppl music ... 8-)

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » June 19th, 2022, 7:45 pm

We cause this nonsense upon ourselves.

After Chris Garcia’s “Chutney Baccanal”, we should have put a stop to it right there and then.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » June 19th, 2022, 7:54 pm

wham, they run out of bollywood songs owah.. or copyright india finally pick up with them....

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”