TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Best hybrid to buy now under TT$150k (tax free)?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

The Bamboo Online
3NE 2NR for life

Re: Best hybrid to buy now under $150k (tax free)?

Postby The Bamboo Online » May 30th, 2022, 7:22 am

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:
agent007 wrote:IMG_5546.JPGIMG_5547.JPG

To me this was the last attractive Corolla sold by TTTL. These came with 2 engine options. The 1NZ-FE 1.5 and the 2ZR-FE 1.8. In fully loaded form, the 1.8 can be differentiated via the 1.8 badge below the right-side tail light, the leather seats, inclusion of side and curtain airbags, the 16” rims, sunroof and of course the engine .The fully loaded 1.5 came with fabric seats instead, 15” rims and 2 airbags.

Either way, the transmission is the simple 4-speed torque converter ECTi automatic. The Axio and Fielder versions to this E14x generation came with same engines but with the CVT. In fact, some JDM versions, mostly found in the Fielders came with an upgraded 1.8 carrying code 2ZR-FAE which added valvematic to the existing Dual VVTi.

Oil changes in these cars especially on those ZR engines must be changed on time and with the right body. 5W-30 is the thickest I’ll go especially with the 1.8 and it’s sophisticated valve timing wizardry.

If anyone in this thread or forum happens to own any of these Corollas, keep it for life. If you know of one for sale especially in unmolested/mint condition, chances are I already know of it and if you stick, it may already be in my garage.

These cars can guarantee fuel range from 500kms and above and they virtually give 0 trouble. Even if you have to tinker with the steering rack or AC evaporator or a seal/gasket or two, keep the car cause these Toyotas will save you money that a typical new hybrid can’t. You might save in fuel on one hand with the roro hybrid but will inevitably get headache on the other and well, you will catch yuh tail to sell a old used hybrid whereas this Corolla I’m telling you about, men chasing to buy that car.

I’m yet to see anyone on this forum talk about, “yeah boi, yuh see them 2nd gen Prius from TTTL (or any older hybrid vehicle for the matter) is car to buy” See the difference? No one cares for old hybrids, you won’t even see a first or second gen Prius on the road anymore cause them thing expired and probably in an open lot rotting next to a Renault, Peugeot, Rover or Daewoo.

Willing to put money on this?? :lol: got my eyes on a local atm...Buddy is the one and only owner...doing 120k...legit 120k...this car is Mint

Don’t know what you calling a 2nd Gen Prius but the 2005-2009 version of the car was over built by Toyota lots around the world making half million miles on original shocks. And second battery pack. Wheel Bearings and headlight bulbs might wear out before brake pads in that generation. Even The 12v battery is over kill toyota put a $300 battery when a small $20USD lawnmower battery is all it needs to start up the electronics and it last years. After that Prius quality start to go down.

Talking from experience my 2nd Gen has around 400k miles lawnmower battery in the trunk is 3 years old and most I have to remember to do is change oil on time. I have a blown high beam on the right. Rear right wheel bearing starting to growl.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » May 30th, 2022, 10:30 am

Bamboo online, where is this supposed second gen Prius of yours located? As in what country?

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » May 30th, 2022, 10:37 am

The fuel economy is nice when there's no traffic. Only used about $20 gas this morning.

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » May 30th, 2022, 10:52 am

maj. tom wrote:The fuel economy is nice when there's no traffic. Only used about $20 gas this morning.

Side note. Japanese text on car electronics real bothers me, I don’t care if I know what it’s saying or if it’s not important

The Bamboo Online
3NE 2NR for life

Postby The Bamboo Online » May 30th, 2022, 12:05 pm

8FC0062D-CAE3-4D7F-B6CF-1D401BA76DB1.jpeg
agent007 wrote:Bamboo online, where is this supposed second gen Prius of yours located? As in what country?

I have 4 of them in NY got fellas driving them for me doing Uber and Lyft and. Use one the car with high mileage to do Prius battery repair and go to work with.

I don’t think a lot of 2nd Gen Prius was imported to Trinidad.
A3199CB4-BB8E-4986-BDA2-B8D3E0BC2696.jpeg

fokhan_96
Riding on 17's

Postby fokhan_96 » May 30th, 2022, 1:40 pm

matix wrote:
agent007 wrote:Agreed. The Mazda CX-3 1.5 starts at $192k and tops out at $205k. The fuel range on that little crossover will definitely pass 600kms per tank and it doesn’t use a CVT or problematic dual clutch to achieve that. No hybrid battery to worry about either. When compared to the HRV hybrid for $379k, that price difference cannot be justified for the fuel economy experienced.

Buy the CX-3 and save yourself at least $174k over the HRV. If a tank takes $300. to full (super), then it will take another 580 fills to finally meet the price of said HRV hybrid. If each fill-up gives a range of 550kms at the very minimum, then that is 319,000kms.

If that CX-3 owner lives down south and works POS and enjoys active weekends out and about then chances are that owner can rack up 35,000kms a year. It will therefore take just over 9 years to use $174k in gas.

Whilst the CX-3 owner takes 9 years to finally meet the cost of the HRV, within that 9 years assuming the HRV owner lives down south and works pos as well and assuming the HRV gives a range of 900kms a tank, this will equate to 354 fill-ups at $300. per tank (super). Just to cover the same 319,000kms. So in addition to the $379k cost, a further $106k is added over a period of 9 years.

After 9 years, the CX-3 will be worth what? $50k? After same 9 years, a used HRV hybrid will be worth what with a battery having just 1 more year of theoretical life left? Same $50k?

Lastly, let’s talk about service. You all think it will cost the HRV less or more to maintain over a period of 9 years?

Do the maths….a little crossover to crossover battle here, the CX-3 wins hand down!

Save the environment you say? HRV has less fill ups. Less fill ups = less gas consumed. Save the planet with less burnt fossil fuels you say? How about searching for some scholarly articles on the environmental impact of manufacturing and disposing of lithium ion batteries.

Take me to school.

Aye you and your logic eh. Definitely the best salesman on tuner
Didn't know he works in southern sales

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » May 30th, 2022, 2:01 pm

The Bamboo Online wrote:
8FC0062D-CAE3-4D7F-B6CF-1D401BA76DB1.jpeg
agent007 wrote:Bamboo online, where is this supposed second gen Prius of yours located? As in what country?

I have 4 of them in NY got fellas driving them for me doing Uber and Lyft and. Use one the car with high mileage to do Prius battery repair and go to work with.

You cannot compare the economics of owning and maintaining a hybrid vehicle in the US to that of T&T. You have confirmed to me now that you’re obviously totally disconnected to the realities of hybrid ownership in T&T and the faith of used hybrids in this country that are over 10 years old. Not sure why you posted pics of a sacrilegious representation of a 2nd gen XW20 Prius though. Have you been inspired by Tyler Hoover or sumtin?

agent007
punchin NOS

Best hybrid to buy now under $150k (tax free)?

Postby agent007 » May 30th, 2022, 2:06 pm

Fokhan, over the years people assumed I worked for LSM, SS, TTTL, Massy and ANSA. Never was I accused of working for Lafast or Sterling though. I will endeavor to change that soon lol.

By the way, as we on dealerships sales reps, 99% of the sales persons in T&T don’t have a clue as to what they’re selling and are unable to provide any sort of proper value proposition towards selling their product. Based on the info shared on the new prices thread, it have forum members here who can school those said sales reps.

Some of the most mismatched personas selling cars belong to Massy though.

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » May 30th, 2022, 2:39 pm

agent007 wrote:Fokhan, over the years people assumed I worked for LSM, SS, TTTL, Massy and ANSA. Never was I accused of working for Lafast or Sterling though. I will endeavor to change that soon lol.

By the way, as we on dealerships sales reps, 99% of the sales persons in T&T don’t have a clue as to what they’re selling and are unable to provide any sort of proper value proposition towards selling their product. Based on the info shared on the new prices thread, it have forum members here who can school those said sales reps.

I feel you does work for ROC inno

The Bamboo Online
3NE 2NR for life

Postby The Bamboo Online » May 30th, 2022, 2:44 pm

agent007 wrote:
The Bamboo Online wrote:8FC0062D-CAE3-4D7F-B6CF-1D401BA76DB1.jpeg

You cannot compare the economics of owning and maintaining a hybrid vehicle in the US to that of T&T. You have confirmed to me now that you’re obviously totally disconnected to the realities of hybrid ownership in T&T and the faith of used hybrids in this country that are over 10 years old. Not sure why you posted pics of a sacrilegious representation of a 2nd gen XW20 Prius though. Have you been inspired by Tyler Hoover or sumtin?

Like I said don’t think a lot was sold locally so I don’t know what you calling a 2nd Gen Prius so I posted outrageous pictures of one.

The 2010 and up Prius is not as dependable as the 2009

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » May 30th, 2022, 2:53 pm

nick639v2 wrote:
agent007 wrote:Fokhan, over the years people assumed I worked for LSM, SS, TTTL, Massy and ANSA. Never was I accused of working for Lafast or Sterling though. I will endeavor to change that soon lol.

I feel you does work for ROC inno

Ah get make out oui. Let me go back to grilling with attitude yes lol.

mitch1980
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby mitch1980 » May 31st, 2022, 4:53 am

In full agreement here. The five year scenario is very realistic and logical.
from a young age i learnt that it makes no sense buying car without easy access to parts. whether it is for regular wear and tear or from unplanned accidents. you need parts and service quickly.

agent007 wrote:Dem foreign used people making a mint off the stupidity of people. When they throw in the false hype into the mix, they catching people left right and center. It’s like they fishing with dynamite. Then you read the posts from users like phone surgeon, assassin, pugboy, mitch1890, les bain,mg man, musical doc, nick639v2 and many others, you realize that we aren’t all meant to be sheep. Those who think outside the box and long term will save money and these users have demonstrated that they don’t see things in a tunneled view.

Now if you all watch the roro importers video, you see the 2019 Nissan Sylphy B17 1.8 coming from Japan for $160k? That is a very good purchase. If anyone in this forum would like a compact sedan to buy and you okay with a 5 year loan, opt for the Sylphy. Just don’t make the mistake and buy the Elantra/Cerato cousins.

As for the roro Corolla 1.8 for $220K, the Mazda 3 1.5 for around same price and the cheaper Subaru Impreza 1.6: Those are good buys as well. Just find out if the menus can be changed from jap to English. For the Sylphy you don’t have that to worry about. Drop in your double DIN pioneer and you would have a descent ride for years to come. Parts are easy to source both locally and in Miami. That engine can take super safely and even though it’s a 1.8, it runs neck n neck with the older Sylphy G11 2.0

No battery problems to waste time and money on.

***edit***

What I forgot to mention to you all is for those who are genuinely coming from older less fuel efficient cars, don’t feel that your only hope to save money is going hybrid. Not so at all. Many of these newer vehicles are a lot more fuel efficient than the previous models. CVTs might not be very desirable but they are efficient at what they do. Modern multipoint injection engines now feature intake and exhaust valve timing and automakers have been ditching the parasitic belt driven hydraulic power assist steering rack for an electric power steering rack. These subtle technologies and more have given cars much better range.

We have a 3.5 V6 vehicle weighing over 4,400lbs and it is more fuel efficient than many of our past vehicles such as Wingroad, Almera and Elantra etc. We also have a 1.6 vehicle weighing 3,300lbs and gives at the very minimum 700-800kms range per tank.

Again, for those who really fed up of the old car for many reasons and you really deserve the upgrade to treat yourself cause why not? You working hard, enjoy the fruits of your sacrifice! Then don’t feel pressured into thinking hybrid is the way to go. The non hybrid Axio and Fielder would shock some of you all with its fuel efficiency.

Secondly, whether hybrid or not, many of these roro vehicles are becoming well equipped with a bunch of driving assistance and safety features. Consider the point of parts. What happens if you get into a typical superficial accident and you require a bumper skin with the parking sensors, pop up headlamp washers or headlights with the auto leveling or cornering function?

What about replacement mirrors that have the camera in them for those vehicles with the 360 cam feature. What about replacement mirrors equipped with the blind spot light? Then what about windshields that cater for the radar based camera system mounted by the rear view mirror? Does doubleZ have the exact replacement glass to mount back the camera? Improper replacement and out of calibration cameras will throw an error flash on your dashboard and this can be annoying for the OCD amongst us. I mean it was for me!

With that Sylphy example I gave you above, you have none of those worries. So what kind of headache are you prepared to accept? Before you give that roro dealer a certified cheque, make sure and research parts for those cars first because accidents can happen even to the best of us and no one wants buyers remorse or to cut ties with a vehicle while it showing an orange flashing light on the dash.

Just some points to consider. If at least 1 person receives this info, that in itself makes my day.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Best hybrid to buy now under TT$150k (tax free)?

Postby Rovin » May 31st, 2022, 12:00 pm

plenty good info in here

is it advisable to put a loud car audio system aka hard pong in a hybrid ? ...

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » May 31st, 2022, 1:34 pm

You can always visit this thread that you've contributed in last year:
https://www.trinituner.com/v4/forums/vi ... p?t=718321

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » May 31st, 2022, 2:02 pm

A decent buy I must say is the Honda insight

Honda 1.5 engine are very economical as well

How does "no gearbox" direct drive function tho... Gonna do some research on it as I see the insight is "direct drive" marketing

Edit

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”