Guyana’s Vice President Bharath Jagdeo says that “T&T is falling apart.”

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Guyana’s Vice President Bharath Jagdeo says that “T&T is falling apart.”

Postby SuperiorMan » March 25th, 2022, 2:54 pm

Guyana VP draws fire over T&T falling apart comment

Foreign Affairs Minister Amery Browne has spoken with Guyana’s Foreign Affairs Minister about a recent video featuring Guyana’s Vice President Bharath Jagdeo saying that “T&T is falling apart.”

Browne confirmed that yesterday.

The video featured on You Tube and several regional personalities’ Twitter feeds, showed Jagdeo speaking at a podium, reportedly much earlier in the week.

In the video, Jagdeo, addressing an audience, spoke about wanting to invest some of Guyana’s oil and gas resources into building the infrastructure in that country so the non-oil and gas sector in the future can generate the jobs there.

Jagdeo said, “Because if we don’t do that when the oil money goes, we’ll be poorer than many countries in the world.”

He continued, “Look at what’s happening in Trinidad now...Trinidad is falling apart, and that’s putting it mildly - falling apart!

“No jobs, sustained periods of negative growth and can’t see the light of day for the near future.”

Jagdeo’s comment stirred up concern among citizens that one Caricom state would make such bad remarks about a fellow Caricom country. Others felt Jagdeo should have found a better way to make his remark. Guyana Opposition MP Sherod Avery Duncan, on Twitter, wondered what “TT-Caricom brothers and sisters” would say on the issue.

And one person queried if Jagdeo and Miss T&T Jeanine Brandt, who was recently embroiled in controversy when she spoke of poverty in T&T, were living in the same house.

Yesterday, Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley didn’t respond to T&T Guardian queries on Jagdeo’s comments.

But Foreign Affairs Minister Browne said he had made a phone call about the matter.

“I have shared my view on this matter with Guyana’s Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Co-Operation, who is well-positioned to advise his government on matters of regional history, integration and respect which our foreparents worked so hard to achieve across this region. At this point, I have no further public comment,”

Energy Minister Stuart Young wasn’t available for comment yesterday. But top energy sources were concerned about the remarks.

One stated, “These utterances are very disappointing and ill-informed. To insult the people of Trinidad and Tobago in this manner is disturbing and doesn’t auger well for the spirit of Caricom.”

Political analyst Dr Bishnu Ragoonath said, “It put a nail further into the divide between the T&T and Guyana governments, especially since this (Jagdeo) government took office.”

However, Ragoonath said it was correct that T&T hadn’t had positive growth in the last few years and Bharath was making the strong point that Guyana must build their non-oil and gas sector to sustain themselves beyond that sector. Ragoonath noted T&T is even now “putting eggs in the same oil and gas basket based on what we saw in the last Budgets.”

Ragoonath added, “But it may not be in Caricom’s best interests to have said it like that and I’m not sure it will help ties between the two countries. I’m assuming he was speaking to a Guyanese audience emphasising the need for Guyana to diversify early rather than find themselves in a situation like T&T. It follows a lot of what Guyana’s been saying recently, including about having food security.

“ But I don’t think we have that critical unemployment problem at this point in time; we did lose some jobs in the pandemic but unemployment is not as high as it’s made out to be.”

However, Ragoonath indicated that while T&T might be critical of Jagdeo’s comments, PM Dr Keith Rowley hasn’t “exactly been building bridges,” with Guyana either. He noted Rowley’s outburst in Parliament on Wednesday, when the PM berated UNC MP Rodney Charles on always speaking about Guyana. Rowley had advised Charles he was free to go there if he wished.

https://guardian.co.tt/news/guyana-vp-d ... 12429d0d10

Syberfraggle
3NE 2NR for life

Re: Guyana’s Vice President Bharath Jagdeo says that “T&T is falling apart.”

Postby Syberfraggle » March 25th, 2022, 3:15 pm

insert meme...Well he's out of line but he's not wrong....

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » March 25th, 2022, 3:17 pm

He's not wrong, but he could also HHWMC.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » March 25th, 2022, 3:18 pm

rowdy 4cup T&T so much that others using us as d bad example ...

KM_2NR
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby KM_2NR » March 25th, 2022, 3:18 pm

Heard my coworker talking about this.
Yes it is but if your upper or middle class its not so bad , not sure how poor people managing yes.
I feel we'd end up like row-zuela , the people gotta stand up or maybe the venes will

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » March 25th, 2022, 3:25 pm

KM_2NR wrote:Heard my coworker talking about this.
Yes it is but if your upper or middle class its not so bad , not sure how poor people managing yes.
I feel we'd end up like row-zuela , the people gotta stand up or maybe the venes will

What's your definition of upper middle class here? What salary/net worth etc

snatman
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby snatman » March 25th, 2022, 3:42 pm

he wrong?

teems1
punchin NOS

Postby teems1 » March 25th, 2022, 3:45 pm

SuperiorMan wrote:

Combined income of at least 60k TTD per month before tax.

That should be enough to handle a mortgages, 2 vehicles + all bills/insurance + recreation spending + savings.

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » March 25th, 2022, 3:55 pm

teems1 wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:

That should be enough to handle a mortgages, 2 vehicles + all bills/insurance + recreation spending + savings.

What percentage of Trinidad you think making that? and is therefore upper middle.

Cantmis
punchin NOS

Postby Cantmis » March 25th, 2022, 3:57 pm

KR go deal with him tomorrow!

Ripe Chenette
Sweet on this forum

Postby Ripe Chenette » March 25th, 2022, 4:23 pm

Syberfraggle wrote:insert meme...Well he's out of line but he's not wrong....
How's this?
Why%20Are%20You%20Booing%20Me%20Im%20Right%2025032022162221-1.jpeg

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » March 25th, 2022, 4:45 pm

But he didn’t lie ! You vex the man speaking the truth, ? Probably if a trini said it , it would make you feel better, It fell apart, yall sensitive over the wrong things. Imagine not one but two oil booms and nothing to show but nice buildings in town yet places like Sealots and Beetham still exist when we should be the Dubai of the Caribbean. Meanwhile our road conditions are dog sheit and majority of the country don't even have a regular supply of water

neilsingh100
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby neilsingh100 » March 25th, 2022, 5:02 pm

We should ask back for all the loans we forgive because they couldn't pay. Guyana no different than T&T, in one budget they spend all the oil money they earned on infrastructure projects which we all know will be wasted and stolen. Guyana did not even earn US$1 billion in oil revenue as yet but lecturing us.

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » March 25th, 2022, 5:15 pm

if granger was there guyana woulda be in the same position like trinidad. them have no vision only know how to teif.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » March 25th, 2022, 5:18 pm

What's the big deal ?

I saying this every time the red government put their terror on us

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » March 25th, 2022, 5:57 pm

We could be offended all we want... he not wrong.

T&T is now an example of NOT what to do when you have a windfall from oil and gas. Them discovering oil every other month and we still looking for a buyer for the refinery.

The thing is, while using us as an example, they better not become said example in the future.

mero
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby mero » March 25th, 2022, 5:58 pm

Boy fork he eh.

Man ain't even presi. VP and all that greasy talk?

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » March 25th, 2022, 6:02 pm

mero wrote:Boy fork he eh.

Trinis are hated all across Caricom.

It's time for Triniexit

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » March 25th, 2022, 6:16 pm

Where did he lie?

Someone said 60k household??? How much people really making that?

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » March 25th, 2022, 6:19 pm

zoom rader wrote:Trinis are hated all across Caricom.

It's time for Triniexit

Trinis are hated and scorned worldwide and even in their own country by their own people.

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » March 25th, 2022, 6:23 pm

he was president for 2 terms and he put laws in place that limit the term of a president to 2 terms. he basically still running the country under cheddi and janet jaggan style of govt and ali is just a puppet president.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » March 25th, 2022, 6:43 pm

SuperiorMan wrote:
teems1 wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:

What percentage of Trinidad you think making that? and is therefore upper middle.

Upper middle makes more than $60K / month .

80% to 90% upper making much more :wink:

Row Row most likely will stay quiet since Guyana is NOW Oil King !!

And after the COVID fiasco and Crime with Home Invasions and Gangsters Rule and Corruption and Loss in Tobago ..
And the firing of Faris and Clarence firing his work and shame shame shame with Train 1 and Roget fighting etc..

The VP is 100% correct !

j.o.e

Postby j.o.e » March 25th, 2022, 7:03 pm

Guyana is a sheit hole. A lot of corruption and inefficiency, now that they have oil money doesn’t change that overnight. I hope they learn lessons from T&T but they shouldn’t talk like they reach, it’s early days still for dem to fork tings up worse than we did.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » March 25th, 2022, 7:09 pm

rowlee response showed that he damn well know the money that passed through our treasury all gone to waste and in bobol

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » March 25th, 2022, 7:09 pm

most definitely, more corruption on all counts and worser race issues too

j.o.e wrote:Guyana is a sheit hole. A lot of corruption and inefficiency, now that they have oil money doesn’t change that overnight. I hope they learn lessons from T&T but they shouldn’t talk like they reach, it’s early days still for dem to fork tings up worse than we did.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » March 25th, 2022, 7:17 pm

pugboy wrote:most definitely, more corruption on all counts and worser race issues too

j.o.e wrote:Guyana is a sheit hole. A lot of corruption and inefficiency, now that they have oil money doesn’t change that overnight. I hope they learn lessons from T&T but they shouldn’t talk like they reach, it’s early days still for dem to fork tings up worse than we did.
Injuns and afros still eating the chainup that massa left us

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » March 25th, 2022, 7:25 pm

Guyanese are very smart , they will not waste money as they hardly spend.

Trinis on the other hand spend as if no tomorrow, Carnival is a perfect example and talking out loans to buy dumb cars when they renting.

Guyana lags behinds by 40 years in development. They a bit primative. George Town is just dirty with garbage and a dump.

Oil money in Guyana with primative thinking will make them look like Nigeria.

mero

Postby mero » March 25th, 2022, 8:01 pm

daring dragoon wrote:

he was president for 2 terms and he put laws in place that limit the term of a president to 2 terms. he basically still running the country under cheddi and janet jaggan style of govt and ali is just a puppet president.
K but fork he still.

Maybe i slightly more patriotic than some a allyuh eh but no Guyanese ranking on we like dem reach suddenly

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » March 25th, 2022, 8:04 pm

Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones!

https://www.kaieteurnewsonline.com/2022 ... ftQsC1tYNU

Jagdeo accused of bribery, corruption after terminating contract with Chinese firm
Feb 10, 2022 News

Kaieteur News – Days after it was revealed that the contract between China State Construction Engineering Corporation Limited (CSCEC) and Guyana, to build the $53.7B New Demerara River Bridge has been terminated, Vice President, Bharrat Jagdeo has taken the spot light for allegations of massive corruption and bribery with the Chinese.

Vice President, Bharrat Jagdeo being interviewed by the reporter from Vice News

During a recent interview with the American news agency, Vice News, Jagdeo was asked whether he accepts bribes and specifically by Chinese companies seeking infrastructure and other development projects in Guyana.

In a stuttering response, the Vice President explained that the allegations were false.

The journalist asked, “What about in your government? Do you accept bribes?” Jagdeo said, “No I don’t,” after which the reporter explained that after speaking with numerous Chinese sources, information is pointing to “bribery” as the only way to get business done locally.

“We’ve spoken to a number of Chinese business people in Guyana who said that you do accept bribes. In fact, they said it’s the only way to get business done…to bribe you.

One Chinese businessman we talked to involving timber logging told us that basically, as long as the Vice President is okay with it, its fine.

He just needs to get one phone call to whoever is in charge and they’ll get it done right away. The real big boss is the Vice President. Everything goes under the table. The whole country is like this,” she said while quoting her source.

In response the VP said, “I can’t comment on that” proffering that it was a mere anonymous person who made the allegations, which could have even been fabricated by the media group.

He went on to say that if the source was named, it would have substantiated the allegation.

The journalist then questioned Dr. Jagdeo about his relationship with a Chinese national named ‘Su’. The Vice President affirmed that he is a friend of the gentleman who happens to be his tenant.

“Su? Oh Su? My relationship? Nothing.

He is a tenant in my place, yeah. He is a friend of ours. His father was here from many years ago,” the VP fumbled.

The American reporter then went on to explain that Su said through his relationship with Dr. Jagdeo, he is able to get any deal done.

“Su told us that if you want to get anything done in Guyana, you need some hookups. I’m very close friends with the Vice President and the other officials.

The Vice President and I share a very close relationship. Also if we do the business, he’ll help out no matter what…he’s really treating us as close brothers. He’s already trying to help us as much as possible.

Of course I need to give back to him in return,” she said, while regurgitating what was reportedly said to her.

While Jagdeo said he is unaware of the “giving back” aspect, he said his business style extends to not only China, but any other company that approaches him to invest.

“I help out as many people as I can. That’s totally accurate what you read there, unbelievably accurate. It’s accurate.

So I help people out but it doesn’t mean for consideration. It does not mean for bribe because I believe that we have a mission to help as many people as possible (to) move forward in this country,” the VP stated.

The reporter however, went on to point out to Dr. Jagdeo that the agency is in receipt of copies of contracts between Chinese companies and ‘Su’, whom she referred to as the “middle man”, that have been used to keep the VP’s hands clean.

“Su has shown us very lucrative contracts between himself and Chinese state-run operations to develop big infrastructure projects in Guyana. He told us that China State Construction Engineering Corporation helped the Chinese company to make a deal. Up to now they pay me $500,000…”

Again, Jagdeo declined to comment, saying that the allegations were false.

He then suggested that the Integrity Commission, which is yet to be installed should probe the allegations.

He said, “The best way to do this is not to have me investigated, but write the Integrity Commission. The Integrity Commission should get all of this.

They should be able to access what my assets are then see if I can’t account for any of the assets.”

On Tuesday evening, the Vice President hosted a press conference to convince the nation he is not corrupt or involved in the bribery allegations.

New DHB contract

The Chinese company, China State Construction Engineering Corporation Limited (CSCEC), which was listed as one of the beneficiaries of underhand business with the VP, recently had a contract to build the four-land high span bridge across the Demerara River terminated.

During his interview, Jagdeo suspected, “Maybe the Chinese company that did not get their agreement that they wanted here, maybe they are the ones who told you, or, it could be just a fictitious thing.”

CSCEC was selected to construct the bridge since government found the company’s bid to be the most impressive, during the procuring process. In fact, Cabinet gave its no-objection to the project back in November last year.

The Chinese company submitted the lowest bid, to the tune of US$256,638,289 under the Design-Build-Finance (DBF) model.

Nonetheless, it was only a few days ago that government concluded the company’s bid was no longer favourable.

During the interview Jagdeo said, “we have just terminated the negotiations with them (CSCEC) because the cost of financing is too high.”

To this end, he signalled that the second lowest bidder would have been engaged. In October last year tenders were received from four companies for the construction of the new Bridge.

The firms were China Gezhouba Group Company Limited, which submitted two financial proposals of US$387,566,116 and US$491,810,000, China Road and Bridge Corporation in joint venture with Peutes and Calzadas Infrastructuras SLU (China and Spain) which submitted bids US$340,698,473 and US$ 364,160,202, China State Construction Engineering Corporation Limited which submitted a bid of US$256,638,289, and China Railway Construction Corporation International Limited who is in joint venture with China Railway Caribbean Company Limited; and China Railway Engineering Bureau Group Company Limited submitted three financial proposals of US$260,852,464, US$260,852,464 and US$300,000,000.

mero

Postby mero » March 25th, 2022, 8:09 pm

MaxPower wrote:
zoom rader wrote:Trinis are hated all across Caricom.

It's time for Triniexit

Trinis are hated and scorned worldwide and even in their own country by their own people.
Idk about allyuh but Caribbean peeps, foreigners and the snow bunnies love them some mero. No fake accent needed either

Trini ppl biggest enemy is they self.

Trinis too laid back and too doh care to hate anyone, life nice. How many times ppl hear Bajan, Jamaicans, and Guyanese say how trinis doh like them and u like buh we doh have allyuh to study..

And trini gyal still win straight up the islands.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”