Forums

Residential Generators

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

sMASH
TunerGod

Re: Residential Generators

Postby sMASH » February 24th, 2022, 10:54 am

I am well aware of power considerations and calculations.
I am coming from the position of false advertising with over rated performances. Being that is not a normal brand we are accustomed to, my experiences is thst it does what it says, tho not more than it says.
And it's reliable, this one in use every so often for 8 years, especislly during rainy season. Just had to weld back the muffler last year.

What is also available online are user experiences. I was posting mine.
Manufacture specs and performance testimonies are not mutually exclusive, they can exist in the same dimension.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » February 24th, 2022, 11:02 am

adnj wrote:A chest freezer draws 200 to 400 Watts. A chop saw draws 1800 to 2500 Watts.

Look at the detail on the box or on the product label if you want to get a much better idea of what you can, and cannot, use on a particular generator.

Motors will draw more current at start-up.

Longer cords and thinner conductors will cost some generator capacity.

There is a ridiculous amount of information online. Search for "household appliance wattage" or "household appliance current draw".

In the case with 2 fridges or 1frridge+1 freezer on gen power, would you suggest spacing out the time you plug in? Just to avoid both starting at the same time

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » February 24th, 2022, 11:29 am

VexXx Dogg wrote:
adnj wrote:A chest freezer draws 200 to 400 Watts. A chop saw draws 1800 to 2500 Watts.

Look at the detail on the box or on the product label if you want to get a much better idea of what you can, and cannot, use on a particular generator.

There is a ridiculous amount of information online. Search for "household appliance wattage" or "household appliance current draw".

In the case with 2 fridges or 1frridge+1 freezer on gen power, would you suggest spacing out the time you plug in? Just to avoid both starting at the same time
It really depends on the size of the generator set. If you are close to capacity you will need to add loads incrementaly. If you are below half capacity, it shouldn't be a problem.

What you don't want to do is ever overload your generator set.

If you overload the generator set, you could:
overload the alternator and burn a winding or wire
drop the line voltage and damage the refridgerator's motor.
overheat the engine, foul the plug, who knows?
Last edited by adnj on February 24th, 2022, 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 24th, 2022, 11:29 am

i would just run each fridge/freezer for an hour at a time instead of 2 concurrently

not safe to have generator voltage sagging when they cycle on

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » February 24th, 2022, 8:36 pm

IMG-20220224-WA0337.jpg

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » February 24th, 2022, 9:00 pm

adnj wrote:
VexXx Dogg wrote:

It really depends on the size of the generator set. If you are close to capacity you will need to add loads incrementaly. If you are below half capacity, it shouldn't be a problem.

What you don't want to do is ever overload your generator set.

If you overload the generator set, you could:
overload the alternator and burn a winding or wire
drop the line voltage and damage the refridgerator's motor.
overheat the engine, foul the plug, who knows?

A properly built generator would trip out long before any of those things happen.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » February 24th, 2022, 10:22 pm

This place in Caroni sells Generac/Powermate
http://kovaicorp.com/distribuidores

https://www.powermate.com/Generators/PO ... p/P0081300

This one listed for 3600TTD on instagram, with generac engine and 5gal tank.
Emailed them for a quote.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » February 25th, 2022, 6:46 am

gastly369 wrote:. IMG-20220224-WA0337.jpg

Another link.

https://ttec.co.tt/default/scheduled-interruptions

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » February 25th, 2022, 7:24 am

With this weather I feel dey might cancel

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » April 10th, 2022, 11:04 am

So yesterday I installed a “transportation kit” for my small 2500W generator. Never did anything like that before but it was very easy. So now my lower spine thanks me. Cost $270. at Bhagwansingh Sea Lots. Estimated time to install about 30-35mins tops.

To me the unit should have come with the wheels and handle to begin with but oh well. So note to would be purchasers, you may want to consider buying your generator that comes with the wheels cause I was lucky to find the kit and was lucky that it worked on my unit. Next thing you buy a generator like I did but there is no kit available for it or the frame itself was never designed to accommodate one. Just a tip.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 10th, 2022, 12:47 pm

wheels are a must
I looking to build a noise reduction sound box for a 5000 I looking at.

agent007 wrote:So yesterday I installed a “transportation kit” for my small 2500W generator. Never did anything like that before but it was very easy. So now my lower spine thanks me. Cost $270. at Bhagwansingh Sea Lots. Estimated time to install about 30-35mins tops.

To me the unit should have come with the wheels and handle to begin with but oh well. So note to would be purchasers, you may want to consider buying your generator that comes with the wheels cause I was lucky to find the kit and was lucky that it worked on my unit. Next thing you buy a generator like I did but there is no kit available for it or the frame itself was never designed to accommodate one. Just a tip.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » April 10th, 2022, 12:53 pm

pugboy wrote:wheels are a must
I looking to build a noise reduction sound box for a 5000 I looking at.

agent007 wrote:So yesterday I installed a “transportation kit” for my small 2500W generator. Never did anything like that before but it was very easy. So now my lower spine thanks me. Cost $270. at Bhagwansingh Sea Lots. Estimated time to install about 30-35mins tops.

Ahhhh, this is what I'm researching now on YouTube etc. I want to build a box to place over the unit without blocking the muffler. I saw that there is a silencer that can be installed as well.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 10th, 2022, 1:01 pm

box is usually most effective way,

silencer may or may not help much because most times these engines are inherently not well balanced so a lot of the noise is actually from the engine's moving parts and not the actual air exhaust.

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » April 10th, 2022, 1:05 pm

Need air flow to cool unit to consider in a noise box

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » April 11th, 2022, 12:36 am

gastly369 wrote:Need air flow to cool unit to consider in a noise box
In other words, an insulation box over the generator will make it run hotter and it can lock up.

So leave 1 side of the box open and leave 1 plug for a lasko fan to cool it? If so, I can't see how much decibels will drop as a result with 2 sides wide open.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 11th, 2022, 5:27 am

just need some vents
many examples in youtube

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » April 24th, 2022, 11:59 pm

Stumbled upon this

Very interesting as to where technology is going.

Some engineers gunna get fedup of me yes. :oops:

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 25th, 2022, 6:35 am

just picked up a 5000/6250 gen used, in need of carb work
got it fixed and wukking good so far

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » April 26th, 2022, 3:59 pm

very good!

Some unexpected expenses came up, so this got pushed to the "nice to have" column rather than buy it now

anthonyanthony
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby anthonyanthony » April 29th, 2022, 7:47 am

For now my backup system consist of 2 pricemart car batteries and a pricemart wagan 1500w inverter.

I built a wooden box with wheels to house the batteries and mount the inverter on with a respective fuse.

In each rooms of the house,baths,kitchen and dining room i ran light and plug outlets with ecc 2.5 mm cables via respective junction and switch boxes.
All of this done by me.

When power goes i just plug in my setup for lights and some fans.
Batteries are recharge by a pricemart charger.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » April 29th, 2022, 9:03 am

anthonyanthony wrote:For now my backup system consist of 2 pricemart car batteries and a pricemart wagan 1500w inverter.

I built a wooden box with wheels to house the batteries and mount the inverter on with a respective fuse.

In each rooms of the house,baths,kitchen and dining room i ran light and plug outlets with ecc 2.5 mm cables via respective junction and switch boxes.
All of this done by me.

When power goes i just plug in my setup for lights and some fans.
Batteries are recharge by a pricemart charger.
I need to keep food from spoiling due to an outage.

With two large reserve capacity batteries (about 125 Ah), you should be able to power about six LED lights and two fans on low (1A total draw) for about 25 hours. A small refrigerator will draw about 4A by itself, so adding a small refrigerator will cut your time to 5 hours.

A full size refrigerator draws about 10A, cutting you down to less than 2.5 hours.
Last edited by adnj on April 29th, 2022, 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » April 29th, 2022, 9:08 am

nervewrecker wrote:

Stumbled upon this

where can we source methanol, as a normal person?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 29th, 2022, 9:14 am

what size batteries and cost for them ?

tbh i not sure if car battery systems worthwhile
have seen cctv systems powered by solar and wind charged batteries which don’t last more than the typical 12-18months

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » April 29th, 2022, 9:42 am

sMASH wrote:
nervewrecker wrote:

Stumbled upon this

where can we source methanol, as a normal person?
Methanol is manufactured on the island. There is no advantage in using a methanol fuel cell instead of an LPG fuel cell when LPG is so much more easily acquired on the island.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » April 29th, 2022, 9:55 am

well, the cost per BTU would determine which is more effective. energy density and storage technology are other factors that need to be considered.
i know methanol is manufactured on the island, i used to make it. i asking where can a regular person get it comercially, and what cost. i used to get it free. but not any more.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » April 29th, 2022, 10:08 am

sMASH wrote:well, the cost per BTU would determine which is more effective. energy density and storage technology are other factors that need to be considered.
i know methanol is manufactured on the island, i used to make it. i asking where can a regular person get it comercially, and what cost. i used to get it free. but not any more.

You sound smart enough to use the internet to find the local manufacturers. You can start there.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » April 29th, 2022, 10:14 am

adnj wrote:
sMASH wrote:well, the cost per BTU would determine which is more effective. energy density and storage technology are other factors that need to be considered.

You sound smart enough to use the internet to find the local manufacturers. You can start there.

shucks, i forget that trinituner is a section in the guardian.
*puts down news papers, picks up internet*

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 29th, 2022, 12:11 pm

didnt plenty ppl use in them hot up cars ?

anthonyanthony
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby anthonyanthony » April 29th, 2022, 3:50 pm

For my system i use 2 car battery.
Car battery is not really suitable for this..you will need a deep cycle battery..but these are pricery..approx 1500 to 2500 dollars for a 100 amp hour battery.

I am on a budget so the car battery cost about 800 each and i did not buy them at the same time due to money constraits.

When power goes most of the time it goes for 3 hrs max, very rear 8 hrs so my setup with led bulbs last over 5 hrs.

As i said when power goes home you need lights for washroom , shower and kitchen and dining area.
Hence most of the time only 2 lamps may be on and a fan.
So this setup works for me.

Later on if finiance improve i may get a generator or some deep cycle.
The generator may be priority since i notice when it rains plenty water goes off .

My system is not powerfull to run a 230v water pump.
It is also not suited for a fridge since output from inverter is a modified sine wave which can damage fridge

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 29th, 2022, 5:12 pm

if for lights only best you just get some 12v led bulbs and hook up direct to the car battery

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”