Forums

Getting a remote job, need advice

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Penguin
3NE 2NR for life

Getting a remote job, need advice

Postby Penguin » January 25th, 2022, 1:24 pm

So basically I really really want to leave my job (project management), it's a nightmare. The pay is ok, it's 17k. But the work hours are rough, it's 8am to 6pm most days and I'll regularly be getting 20-50 calls a day, many until 7pm and a few on weekends.

My partner said he recently got a remote job from a US company that is paying him $4k USD a month to do software testing. He has a degree in computer science so he's qualified, I have a degree but it's a Nat Sci (physics and math) degree. He says he knows trinis who are getting 40-50k after tax doing remote software development.

I will be more than happy with 3k. But I need to know what your of jobs I can apply for and where do I apply?

I don't want any more Project Management work, it's not my style.

Are there any quick IT or Software Development certifications I can get that'll help me?

The local job market sucks right now, I have applied several places, no response.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Getting a remote job, need advice

Postby VexXx Dogg » January 25th, 2022, 1:59 pm

Plenty scams offering remote work opps eh.
LinkedIN loaded with them.

Don't bite until you do research.

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » January 25th, 2022, 2:53 pm

Project Manager with a Nat Sci Degree...

Ummm ok...

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » January 25th, 2022, 3:37 pm

wtf wrote:Project Manager with a Nat Sci Degree...

Ummm ok...

You can do PMP outside of any degree inno

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » January 25th, 2022, 3:51 pm

Penguin wrote:So basically I really really want to leave my job (project management), it's a nightmare. The pay is ok, it's 17k. But the work hours are rough, it's 8am to 6pm most days and I'll regularly be getting 20-50 calls a day, many until 7pm and a few on weekends.

My partner said he recently got a remote job from a US company that is paying him $4k USD a month to do software testing. He has a degree in computer science so he's qualified, I have a degree but it's a Nat Sci (physics and math) degree. He says he knows trinis who are getting 40-50k after tax doing remote software development.

I will be more than happy with 3k. But I need to know what your of jobs I can apply for and where do I apply?

Are there any quick IT or Software Development certifications I can get that'll help me?

The local job market sucks right now, I have applied several places, no response.

Damn dude, I know you were dumb but nat sci lmao.

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » January 25th, 2022, 4:11 pm

Penguin wrote:So basically I really really want to leave my job (project management), it's a nightmare. The pay is ok, it's 17k. But the work hours are rough, it's 8am to 6pm most days and I'll regularly be getting 20-50 calls a day, many until 7pm and a few on weekends.

Software development isn't "quick". In order to work as a software developer you need years of experience and the ability to pass highly complicated technical interviews etc. So if you want a software developer job 2 years from now etc then you should have started yesterday.

The fact that your friend with a comp sci degree only makes 24k a month remotely should tell you something about how competitive the field is. Also testing is one of the lesser roles available.

Think long and hard if this is what you really want.

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » January 25th, 2022, 4:17 pm

Redress10 wrote:

Software development isn't "quick". In order to work as a software developer you need years of experience and the ability to pass highly complicated technical interviews etc. So if you want a software developer job 2 years from now etc then you should have started yesterday.

The fact that your friend with a comp sci degree only makes 24k a month remotely should tell you something about how competitive the field is. Also testing is one of the lesser roles available.

Is it as competitive in the states? I heard otherwise except for entry level jobs.

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » January 25th, 2022, 4:38 pm

SuperiorMan wrote:
Redress10 wrote:

Is it as competitive in the states? I heard otherwise except for entry level jobs.

Well "remote" means global. Meaning that job is available to the global market. That could mean eastern european countries/india/south america etc. So the companies have a bigger recruiting pool to choose from. So our advantage might be our english speaking skills.

The first choice of course is always an american/western euro developer. They command the highest fees and are viewed as "highly educated". Next would be eastern europeans and then Indians etc. The salaries etc would match what their perception of your skills will be.

You're not going to get Palo Alto salary working remotely from POS etc when they could just hire someone from Palo Alto.

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » January 25th, 2022, 4:56 pm

Redress10 wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:
Redress10 wrote:

Well "remote" means global. Meaning that job is available to the global market. That could mean eastern european countries/india/south america etc. So the companies have a bigger recruiting pool to choose from. So our advantage might be our english speaking skills.

The first choice of course is always an american/western euro developer. They command the highest fees and are viewed as "highly educated". Next would be eastern europeans and then Indians etc. The salaries etc would match what their perception of your skills will be.

You're not going to get Palo Alto salary working remotely from POS etc when they could just hire someone from Palo Alto.

Yes I was referring to software engineering jobs in general not only remote.

What kind of salaries would a fresh graduate from a top 50 US school get if you had to guess

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » January 25th, 2022, 4:59 pm

A top 50 US school is highly employable in the US. Chances are recruiters are getting at them. Salary would be based on what area of software engineering jobs they qualify for and also their capabilities. Alot of those jobs require technical interviews where candidates demonstrate their abilities in a live setting.

That person wouldn't find getting a job hard once they are capable to be honest.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » January 25th, 2022, 5:14 pm

Redress10 knows what he's talking about.

Jumping on the Software Developer bandwagon isn't nearly as simple as getting certification. It takes a comp sci or related degree, and years of experience (mainly self learning).

I've dabbled into it of and on, but it's a hard field and any field paying big money like the US salaries (which are on a crazy level) requires top talent and is competitive AF.

And btw US salaries in the Valley are rediculously high, we talking about 150k starting and up to 450k a year for senior PhD roles. And yes there are trinis there doing that work. The UK is probably the next best market and the pay is high too but not that high, got a friend there who makes around £8,000 a month. Not bad.

I think most Trini software Devs making between 15 and 35k locally, definitely more than most engineering jobs.

PM me if you want to learn more as I work closely to many in this field.

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » January 25th, 2022, 5:44 pm

SuperiorMan wrote:

You calling the man dumb and you asking for Marriage advice on a forum with strangers..
Smfh..
Screenshot_20211208-170755.jpg

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » January 25th, 2022, 7:20 pm

wtf wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:

You calling the man dumb and you asking for Marriage advice on a forum with strangers..
Smfh..Screenshot_20211208-170755.jpg

Beats being a 39 year old virgin that pays onlyfans girls to talk to them like you.

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » January 25th, 2022, 7:21 pm

Redress10 wrote:A top 50 US school is highly employable in the US. Chances are recruiters are getting at them. Salary would be based on what area of software engineering jobs they qualify for and also their capabilities. Alot of those jobs require technical interviews where candidates demonstrate their abilities in a live setting.

That person wouldn't find getting a job hard once they are capable to be honest.

Would you say >100k US/year is feasible?

i_code_and_stuff
Street 2NR

Postby i_code_and_stuff » January 25th, 2022, 7:27 pm

your education background really does not matter any significant amount in these endeavors. That is to say, a IT-related bsc from a no-name school is enough

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » January 25th, 2022, 7:44 pm

SuperiorMan wrote:
wtf wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:

Smfh..Screenshot_20211208-170755.jpg

Beats being a 39 year old virgin that pays onlyfans girls to talk to them like you.
Lmfaoo... change your name to SuperiorGirl...

mero
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby mero » January 25th, 2022, 9:30 pm

Penguin is not Daran v5?

Real mad ppl on this site yes

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » January 25th, 2022, 10:11 pm

mero wrote:Penguin is not Daran v5?

Real mad ppl on this site yes

That's been known for a while now.

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » January 25th, 2022, 10:37 pm

Redress10 wrote:A top 50 US school is highly employable in the US. Chances are recruiters are getting at them. Salary would be based on what area of software engineering jobs they qualify for and also their capabilities. Alot of those jobs require technical interviews where candidates demonstrate their abilities in a live setting.

Yes but was wondering what the salary would be like for entry level positions.

ScHoolboySoloQ
Trinituner Peong

Postby ScHoolboySoloQ » January 27th, 2022, 3:09 am

You can't handle project management but want to jump into programming, you got a death wish or sum lmaoooooooo

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » January 27th, 2022, 11:31 am

OP, this is just my 12 cents here eh.

be careful, and know wha tyou have, what you leaving, why you leaving, and what you leaving to go to.
Because something people don't study in the software testing & development field, is that as a developer you are quite disposable, and as a tester even more so, and overseas-based companies have no problem terminating your employment and replacing you if they find your performance and capabilities are not yielding them maximum benefit, and you really won't be in an optimal position to pursue legal redress if they do.

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » January 27th, 2022, 12:42 pm

88sins wrote:

OP, this is just my 12 cents here eh.

be careful, and know wha tyou have, what you leaving, why you leaving, and what you leaving to go to.
Because something people don't study in the software testing & development field, is that as a developer you are quite disposable, and as a tester even more so, and overseas-based companies have no problem terminating your employment and replacing you if they find your performance and capabilities are not yielding them maximum benefit, and you really won't be in an optimal position to pursue legal redress if they do.
Great advice.
Programming is a young persons game also.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » January 27th, 2022, 1:14 pm

You kno what it is to leave your position, to get into a new field, and get cut a couple months or less?

Go brave op, but I really recommend that you have a contingency plan just in case it don't work out like you think.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”