Forums

No tax on electric vehicles in T&T

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

2WNBoost
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby 2WNBoost » October 12th, 2021, 4:46 pm

My plans for an electric car leans towards not having to go to a gas station or deal with any rush for gas. Hoping to also reduce my dependence on the grid at home.
I’ll switch when my ICE needs changing as it easily gets +40mpg.
Electric is the way to go if you’re in the market for a new car. ICE powered by gasoline or diesel produce a lot of pollution. A good trade off is replacing them with electricity generated from natural gas as the net carbon footprint is lower. Eventually we may also embrace wind power but not right now as there’s excess capacity. There are pros and cons for everything but we can’t keep pumping out pollutants and not expect some fallout in the future.
Watch the videos they are objective.
PS: The videos also talked about switching to a better mileage used car as a trade up option instead of an electric car.
zoom rader wrote:^^^ Boost start putting you order in for one, you will save the planet

teems1
punchin NOS

Re: No tax on electric vehicles in T&T

Postby teems1 » October 12th, 2021, 5:08 pm

2WNBoost wrote:My plans for an electric car leans towards not having to go to a gas station or deal with any rush for gas. Hoping to also reduce my dependence on the grid at home.
Electric is the way to go if you’re in the market for a new car. ICE powered by gasoline or diesel produce a lot of pollution. A good trade off is replacing them with electricity generated from natural gas as the net carbon footprint is lower. Eventually we may also embrace wind power but not right now as there’s excess capacity. There are pros and cons for everything but we can’t keep pumping out pollutants and not expect some fallout in the future.
PS: The videos also talked about switching to a better mileage used car as a trade up option instead of an electric car.
zoom rader wrote:^^^ Boost start putting you order in for one, you will save the planet

Batteries don't like excess heat and water.

There is built in cooling for the batteries, but Trinidad head is sometimes a different beast. Any cooling system has to work twice has hard. Flooding and high water is a way of life along with the bad roads and potholes which also collect water.

Those things are the mitigating factor when it comes to choosing a full EV.

VII
punchin NOS

Postby VII » October 12th, 2021, 5:33 pm

There's an argument that evs are better through floods than regular vehicles with intakes exhausts and ignition systems etc..it's just a matter of sealing off sensitive components..

Wading capability and specs in evs are much better than regular vehicles by far..and manufacturers test their vehicles in harsh environments from African deserts to Arctic snow plains, so handling T&T's climate shouldn't be a problem..sub zero temps can also be an issue, but there are systems in place to optimize battery temperatures by way of cooling or warming .
Last edited by VII on October 12th, 2021, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 12th, 2021, 5:41 pm

Norway is not a good example to use for ev adoption

They are almost all hydropower, they don’t burn fossil fuels to generate

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » October 12th, 2021, 5:41 pm

2WNBoost wrote:My plans for an electric car leans towards not having to go to a gas station or deal with any rush for gas. Hoping to also reduce my dependence on the grid at home.
Boost whatever works for you go for. If you can save from this then that's a plus.

VII
punchin NOS

Postby VII » October 12th, 2021, 5:45 pm

Actually they're a good example of a very good example.. many others are making progress in sustainable energy production, especially Europe and Asia..

pugboy wrote:Norway is not a good example to use for ev adoption

Blaze d Chalice
Riding on 17's

Postby Blaze d Chalice » October 12th, 2021, 6:11 pm

zoom rader wrote:Nah horse.

I invest and save my money so I can travel and the see the world.

I still use my 1984 Ford laser running on a carb.

I don't see how buying a kart will benefiti me. I don't need a new vehicle.

If by all means it suits you and you love paying back the bank and paying big insurance, then you go for it.

Me eh need a new vehicle right now, but I think if I still stuck in TT for too long and need one, it will be an electric van/pickup.
I don't see Trinidad roads getting better at any point before 2050.

The other thing I unsure about is the range. 650km is ok but I would feel safer with something like 800 since those 650 could change by a lot depending on the type of road conditions you dealing with.
But I would be strictly relying on home charging and do NOT want to ever have to use no public charging.
Not going to line up in no stink NP to plug up for more than 5 minutes.

The 5 minutes it take to line up and full up diesel from E to F, I always have to deal with a piper or 2.
Coming for change even though I always use to pay 200 so I could just gtfo when I done.
Imagine having to plug up and wait for a 20 minutes in those kinda settings :sick: :sick: :sick:
Them pest will be like forking cobo and hyena circling your vehicle.

VII
punchin NOS

Postby VII » October 12th, 2021, 6:15 pm

Lol charge at home or at work ftw...

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 12th, 2021, 6:41 pm

easy to say but for the majority of everybody else wind is their only choice and that is a big undertaking of which i don’t think the switch to non fossil fuel electricity is ahead of the ev switchover

but at least in those countries they have big mandates
but for many others they just don’t care how they make the current

VII wrote:Actually they're a good example of a very good example.. many others are making progress in sustainable energy production, especially Europe and Asia..

pugboy wrote:Norway is not a good example to use for ev adoption

VII
punchin NOS

Postby VII » October 12th, 2021, 6:50 pm

Agreed...so it's just a matter of embracing the available tech and it's advantages and features etc..

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » October 12th, 2021, 7:00 pm

Wind and wave power generation at Manzanilla and Mayaro could generate a lot of sustainable energy

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 12th, 2021, 7:08 pm

the catch is to make it feasible for somebody to put out the capital investment and be able to compete with the cheap natural gas electricity from powergen, trinity etc

might require heavy incentives, subsidies to make it worthwhile

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:Wind and wave power generation at Manzanilla and Mayaro could generate a lot of sustainable energy

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » October 12th, 2021, 7:08 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:Wind and wave power generation at Manzanilla and Mayaro could generate a lot of sustainable energy
Then we will get wind and wave tax

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 12th, 2021, 7:15 pm

wasa prob will lay a claim as they own any and everything water based

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » October 13th, 2021, 11:41 am

0a3ef1db-f0c6-4ffd-9fa4-f948add70b20.jpg

ScHoolboySoloQ
Trinituner Peong

Postby ScHoolboySoloQ » October 13th, 2021, 4:08 pm

There were wind energy projects for Mayaro but they were dismissed in the late 90s due to high cost and no political will for sustainable development.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » October 13th, 2021, 6:15 pm

ScHoolboySoloQ wrote:

There were wind energy projects for Mayaro but they were dismissed in the late 90s due to high cost and no political will for sustainable development.
Wind is 50/50 chance its the same as solar.

Scotland regretted doing wind generation as it was break even venture. The maintenance eat into the profits so it was 50/50. It did however save on green house gasses but that was offset by their dairy cattle

ScHoolboySoloQ
Trinituner Peong

Postby ScHoolboySoloQ » October 14th, 2021, 12:53 am

zoom rader wrote:
ScHoolboySoloQ wrote:

Wind is 50/50 chance its the same as solar.

Scotland regretted doing wind generation as it was break even venture. The maintenance eat into the profits so it was 50/50. It did however save on green house gasses but that was offset by their dairy cattle

Wind is a little better off than solar. You can have taller wind turbines for more speed m/s, with solar you getting the same power whether it on the ground or a building.

Diesel > Electric anyday. Not switching :twisted:

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » October 14th, 2021, 7:14 am

Can you post a pic of the classic Laser? Always love to see some old school cats from my youth days.
zoom rader wrote:
Blaze d Chalice wrote:Zoom will you be saying the same thing once you driving one of this?

Range on the basic model on one charge is about 650Km.
In Bago you might have to charge that once a month (unless you going to "pull bull")
Imagine never having to go into NP again so one less set of red government workers you have to deal with.

Wouldn't that be a major selling point for you?
More major than lithium battery con job and factory emission con job?

Or even these. I could see you pumping through your farm in any of this.
The cow and goat will be riding in style in the tray.
Them other trini/bago goat and cow will jealous yours.

Or you like to go line up in NP for red government workers to put their nozzle in your gas tank?
Nah horse.

If by all means it suits you and you love paying back the bank and paying big insurance, then you go for it.

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » October 14th, 2021, 8:05 am

Blaze d Chalice wrote:
zoom rader wrote:Nah horse.

Me eh need a new vehicle right now, but I think if I still stuck in TT for too long and need one, it will be an electric van/pickup.
I don't see Trinidad roads getting better at any point before 2050.

The other thing I unsure about is the range. 650km is ok but I would feel safer with something like 800 since those 650 could change by a lot depending on the type of road conditions you dealing with.
But I would be strictly relying on home charging and do NOT want to ever have to use no public charging.
Not going to line up in no stink NP to plug up for more than 5 minutes.

The 5 minutes it take to line up and full up diesel from E to F, I always have to deal with a piper or 2.
Coming for change even though I always use to pay 200 so I could just gtfo when I done.
Imagine having to plug up and wait for a 20 minutes in those kinda settings :sick: :sick: :sick:
Them pest will be like forking cobo and hyena circling your vehicle.

That’s asking for a lot of range for such a small island. Unless you drive for a living (delivery or taxi ) you’re just toting around bigger batteries for no reason.

2WNBoost
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby 2WNBoost » October 14th, 2021, 9:15 am

No more fuel subsidy may have an influence in the future

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » October 14th, 2021, 9:38 am

2WNBoost wrote:No more fuel subsidy may have an influence in the future

May also remove the subsidy on natural gas that T&TEC currently benefits from.
That will drive up the price of electricity locally.

So far the minister said there are no immediate plans to do that
https://tt.loopnews.com/content/public- ... dy-removal

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » October 14th, 2021, 9:49 am

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
2WNBoost wrote:No more fuel subsidy may have an influence in the future

May also remove the subsidy on natural gas that T&TEC currently benefits from.
That will drive up the price of electricity locally.

So far the minister said there are no immediate plans to do that
https://tt.loopnews.com/content/public- ... dy-removal
no immediate plans?

This was the same red government that said they not going to shut down Petrotrin.

2WNBoost
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby 2WNBoost » October 14th, 2021, 10:11 am

Expect price increases for all forms of hydrocarbon products and services.
Reducing your intake will be the game going forward whether at home or on the road.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » October 14th, 2021, 11:38 am

2WNBoost wrote:Expect price increases for all forms of hydrocarbon products and services.
Reducing your intake will be the game going forward whether at home or on the road.
If that is the case then why live here.

Sorry to digress since you seem people are trolls but some people live in the real world and can see through the bull5hit

There are far better countries with the same program but they enjoy a better standard of living.

Trinidad looks like it wants to push as you said but our standard of living is not acceptable for the price increases.

A pot hole is a pot hole and it does not discriminate if you have an ICE or kart

Its time we do like China and lay flat

2WNBoost
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby 2WNBoost » October 14th, 2021, 4:29 pm

Potholes are a global issue

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » October 14th, 2021, 4:50 pm

2WNBoost wrote:Potholes are a global issue

:rofl:

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » October 14th, 2021, 5:45 pm

2WNBoost wrote:Potholes are a global issue

Wear and tear of roads is a global issue however, it is the government or the local body responsibility to maintain the roads.

If a government is making easier for now to transition to karts then they need to put measures in place for maintenance of roads.

Both ICE and EVs suffer from lack of maintenance on roads. Tax free EVs and unbearable roads will appear that you paid taxes on repairs to your Kart when damaged from the roads.

If by all means a kart suits you then go for it.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » October 15th, 2021, 12:32 pm

Not electric but hydrogen is an alternative fuel source

World record: Toyota Mirai travels 1360km on one hydrogen tank

The 2021 Toyota Mirai sedan has set a new hydrogen efficiency benchmark, completing a 1360.378km round trip in Southern California on a single 5.65kg tank of hydrogen.

For reference, the USA's EPA testing cycle gives the vehicle an estimated range of 646km – a figure the new distance exceeds by more than 110 per cent, though no indication on the average speed the vehicle travelled at to reduce consumption and break the record.

The run was conducted over two days in August 2021, however it was not officially verified by the Guinness Book of World Records until this week. It surpasses the previous (albeit verified by a different authority, not Guinness) record set in France in May by another Toyota Mirai, with a distance of 1003km.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/world-rec ... rogen-tank

Blaze d Chalice
Riding on 17's

Postby Blaze d Chalice » October 18th, 2021, 5:21 pm

j.o.e wrote:
That’s asking for a lot of range for such a small island. Unless you drive for a living (delivery or taxi ) you’re just toting around bigger batteries for no reason.

Nah but I do have to drive through grimy roads, so I reserve a whole 100 of that 800 for when the motors have to work harder which bring me back down to the approx 700 I would get from a full tank of diesel for a week.
Sometimes I have to transport load quite far also.
Not very often but still I would not like to be caught with my jockey shorts down. eg. The meter saying 200km but I get a call to go "Sandy Grandy" from Sando. Google map say that is 82km or 164km, so you should have a 36km remaining. Except when you pumping A/C and the MP-Chee and bluetooth and all that stop-and-go traffic on the CRH Eastbound, battery/range would reduce. Worse yet if you carrying load, and even worse if you decided to pass through Biche :sick: :sick: :sick:

And I would also not like to be caught with my jockey down by the time the battery starts to degrade.
I will still have some workable range while I run go to buy a new one or replace etc.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”