Food prices in Trinidad and Tobago

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

pugboy
TunerGod

Re: Food prices in Trinidad and Tobago

Postby pugboy » June 22nd, 2022, 11:59 am

what’s latest with paria divers ?

MaxPower wrote:Any idea how long the flour beat up will last before everyone carrys on with their happy ass lives?

I say 3 days but in between that Trinis patiently wait Stink&Dutty Part 2.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » June 22nd, 2022, 12:04 pm

alfa wrote:
timelapse wrote:
Phone Surgeon wrote:
pugboy wrote:allyuh still gonna wash chicken with flour?
Citrus wash for it now
Even lime n lemon expensive
When you strain out the pulp from blending coconut, you can use it to wash meat, and it stays good in the freezer

How many people still grating coconut is the question, might be cheaper to use white vinegar

oh hell yes flour to wash meat\fish , imo its d still d most cheapest effective way to get that freshness out

lemon\lime\citrus not always available & price high

not a fan of d vinegar method

d maggi meat wash itself kinda smells like lime enos but works arite once it not clump up hard in d packet , when they now came out with it was $1 ,then not too long raised to $1.25 , i feel it will go to 1.50 jes now

that coconut blending grate is a new 1 for me , guess it cud work though i dont use grated coconut milk often ...

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » June 22nd, 2022, 12:11 pm

DMan7 wrote:
88sins wrote:
DMan7 wrote:So what would happen to all the old stock flour bought by supermarkets? Will they be putting the increased prices on that even though they bought them before the price increase? Seems disingenuous to me.

Look at it this way
If they don’t, then they will not make enough money to restock at the new price when their existing stock is depleted, leading them to buy less and creating short term shortages at retail point of sale.

So yes, old stock will be sold at the new price.

Still disingenuous, you bought it old price, sell it at old markup price not new one.

u have never worked in or owned a business that buys\sells commodities have u ? ... if something jumps as high as 33% u expect d business owner to simply sell out d little remaining current stocks at old price but when he has to put 33% more for d very same amt of goods then where that extra $ coming from ? , he hadda jes dig deeper in he pocket right to put out more to make same profit margin .. if u dont know, groceries work with a minimal profit margin hoping to make it back up by selling volume, if 1 item from a dozen comes defective & u cant get it exchanged with supplier, gets damaged somehow with workers or customers or gets stolen thats ur whole profit margin gone right there ...

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » June 22nd, 2022, 1:04 pm

i see the experts watching lines at starbucks etc somehow on their way to the office and back are chipping in their 2 cents.

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » June 22nd, 2022, 1:42 pm

Rovin wrote:
DMan7 wrote:
88sins wrote:
DMan7 wrote:So what would happen to all the old stock flour bought by supermarkets? Will they be putting the increased prices on that even though they bought them before the price increase? Seems disingenuous to me.

Look at it this way
If they don’t, then they will not make enough money to restock at the new price when their existing stock is depleted, leading them to buy less and creating short term shortages at retail point of sale.

Still disingenuous, you bought it old price, sell it at old markup price not new one.

u have never worked in or owned a business that buys\sells commodities have u ? ... if something jumps as high as 33% u expect d business owner to simply sell out d little remaining current stocks at old price but when he has to put 33% more for d very same amt of goods then where that extra $ coming from ? , he hadda jes dig deeper in he pocket right to put out more to make same profit margin .. if u dont know, groceries work with a minimal profit margin hoping to make it back up by selling volume, if 1 item from a dozen comes defective & u cant get it exchanged with supplier, gets damaged somehow with workers or customers or gets stolen thats ur whole profit margin gone right there ...
Some men think business is a charity and they doing it out the goodness of their hearts

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » June 22nd, 2022, 1:45 pm

Many people will suffer...but the majority, will keep partying, having a good time, going KFC three times a week...and keep supporting McDonald's , Starbucks etc..so we jamming still.....trinis still happy

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » June 22nd, 2022, 3:17 pm

FB_IMG_1655925075076.jpg
FB_IMG_1655925245191.jpg

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby paid_influencer » June 22nd, 2022, 5:34 pm

hover11 wrote:Many people will suffer...but the majority, will keep partying, having a good time, going KFC three times a week...and keep supporting McDonald's , Starbucks etc..so we jamming still.....trinis still happy

McDonald's is good value. $33 and you get a toy and food too. That toy legit too, you'd pay like $50 for a similar quality in a toy store. The chicken-on-the-bone way better than KFC imo. less greasy, more consistent.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » June 22nd, 2022, 6:01 pm

yea
just like in other countries it is cheaper to eat the unhealthy food

Numb3r4
Shifting into 6th

Postby Numb3r4 » June 22nd, 2022, 6:14 pm

hover11 wrote:
j.o.e wrote:
hover11 wrote:Linda’s Bakery owner Peter George said the announcement was not unexpected. He said Linda’s did not plan to raise prices in the short term.

https://newsday.co.tt/2022/06/22/nfm-bl ... ise-again/

Is anything unexpected by the 1 percent?

Only the 1% does watch international news ? Wheat is up all over, we have no stockpiles.
Linda's increased way before this war started, there is a difference between increasing profit margin due to external factors and simple greed :S. Anyway I don't patronize there good luck to those who do.

They are now selling some of their products in XTRA Foods in Chaguanas specifically Butter Cookies and Brownies, both are good.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » June 22nd, 2022, 6:14 pm

Making the unhealthy food at home is even cheaper and would even be less unhealthy as well.

Since I started baking/air frying my fries I don't enjoy bought fries again.

Numb3r4
Shifting into 6th

Postby Numb3r4 » June 22nd, 2022, 6:17 pm

alfa wrote:
timelapse wrote:
Phone Surgeon wrote:
pugboy wrote:allyuh still gonna wash chicken with flour?
Citrus wash for it now
Even lime n lemon expensive
When you strain out the pulp from blending coconut, you can use it to wash meat, and it stays good in the freezer

How many people still grating coconut is the question, might be cheaper to use white vinegar

You don't need to grate the coconut, you can cut it into small pieces and use a food processor.

I will say this it's one of the older beefier types of food processors not these new "mini-choppers" or "magic-bullet" type devices.

Numb3r4
Shifting into 6th

Postby Numb3r4 » June 22nd, 2022, 6:22 pm

st7 wrote:i see the experts watching lines at starbucks etc somehow on their way to the office and back are chipping in their 2 cents.

Starbucks at the Massey grocery by IAM was hiring today or at least they were recruiting so the increased traffic could be folks applying for a job.

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » June 22nd, 2022, 6:25 pm

FB_IMG_1655936539970.jpg

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » June 22nd, 2022, 6:37 pm

Hoarding in Pricesmart already. I think the limit per person was 4 or 5 bags. This woman 2 or 3 cashier lines across with the trolley full of bags of flour, they refused her after the limit.... she had the audacity to ask the people behind her if they can put it on their membership card for her. Some did it for her, the idiots. The cashier should have refused to cash it, but she just working there she doesn't get paid enough for this bullsshit.

I want to know after those finish what she will do for the next 5 years as flour keeps increasing. The greedy, selfish mentality of hoarders. We saw it at the start of Covid and they're still around.

DMan7
punchin NOS

Postby DMan7 » June 22nd, 2022, 6:39 pm

Rovin wrote:
DMan7 wrote:
88sins wrote:

Look at it this way

Again none of that is the customer's fault. How allya people soo quick to defend the greediness of rich business owners so? Allya must be well off and ain't thinking about the small man at all no doub.t

Numb3r4
Shifting into 6th

Postby Numb3r4 » June 22nd, 2022, 6:43 pm

maj. tom wrote:Hoarding in Pricesmart already. I think the limit per person was 4 or 5 bags. This woman 2 or 3 cashier lines across with the trolley full of bags of flour, they refused her after the limit.... she had the audacity to ask the people behind her if they can put it on their membership card for her. Some did it for her, the idiots. The cashier should have refused to cash it, but she just working there she doesn't get paid enough for this bullsshit.

I want to know after those finish what she will do for the next 5 years as flour keeps increasing. The greedy, selfish mentality of hoarders. We saw it at the start of Covid and they're still around.

Pricemart had been rationing oil for a while now, I believe since 2 weeks ago you could only buy 2 (gallon??) jugs of oil.

Went to the grocery today didn't see much folks there though, such was my experience so I thought that folks were taking it in stride, then again month end is only a few days away, these next 2 weekends we will see.

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » June 22nd, 2022, 6:51 pm

Numb3r4 wrote:
st7 wrote:i see the experts watching lines at starbucks etc somehow on their way to the office and back are chipping in their 2 cents.

Starbucks at the Massey grocery by IAM was hiring today or at least they were recruiting so the increased traffic could be folks applying for a job.

suffice to say, some ppl here want to dictate how people spend their money. real beat up cause people spending their own money.

typical sufferer behaviour watching what other people buying and tunning up dey face

DMan7
punchin NOS

Postby DMan7 » June 22nd, 2022, 7:00 pm

Never had Starbucks. Allya rich businessmen tell me how that does taste nuh.

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » June 22nd, 2022, 7:06 pm

DMan7 wrote:Never had Starbucks. Allya rich businessmen tell me how that does taste nuh.

good sir. it's like flavour bursting in your mouth with a rich cocoa taste packaged in a non-sufferer drinking apparatus

DMan7
punchin NOS

Postby DMan7 » June 22nd, 2022, 7:14 pm

st7 wrote:
DMan7 wrote:Never had Starbucks. Allya rich businessmen tell me how that does taste nuh.

good sir. it's like flavour bursting in your mouth with a rich cocoa taste packaged in a non-sufferer drinking apparatus

That one deserves an old school mind blown gif.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » June 22nd, 2022, 7:15 pm

ROFL :lol:

Numb3r4
Shifting into 6th

Postby Numb3r4 » June 22nd, 2022, 7:36 pm

DMan7 wrote:
Rovin wrote:
DMan7 wrote:
88sins wrote:

Look at it this way

Again none of that is the customer's fault. How allya people soo quick to defend the greediness of rich business owners so? Allya must be well off and ain't thinking about the small man at all no doub.t

We're not necessarily supporting the "big businessman" but the overall point is that we have all come to know how they operate, so for one (1) it doesn't surprise us and two (2) this is probably the more important point, you the individual need to take steps to keep ahead of them as no help is ever really coming as it always was.

It is truly unfortunate those who cannot but the way forward is clear especially in light of no immediate relief coming from the gov't and it is to "simply tighten ones' belt", and go without where ever you can. Is it good advice, is it the best advice, now not by a long shot but its all we can do.

If the citizens were better organized as a society we could have boycotted the product or products which would not have caused a price drop per say but may have forced some to lower the price or consider lowering their margins, but in a manner befitting the masses we elected to horde as was described in another post above.

True none of this is the fault of the public, but whose job is it to be the defender of the public, not the business, I believe it falls to the government, and if they have not instituted things by now
well...as mentioned above we're on our own.

Again I am not defending the businesses however as consumers how we spend our money is essentially how we "vote in the marketplace" use it wisely.

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby paid_influencer » June 22nd, 2022, 8:16 pm

to be buying that much flour, hadda be a commercial enterprise of some sort. doubles, roti, pastry pies or something. She probably going to pass the savings on to customers by keeping the same price (doubles price cannot change without a setta gun talk and racial harassment passing), or maybe she will raise price but use the difference to keep her business from feeling the higher capital investment for new flour stocks.

buying at the "old price" is literally what supermarkets were doing before the announcement. this lady doing the exact same thing.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » June 22nd, 2022, 8:56 pm

its like filling up your car tank before budget in case fuel price raises

DMan7
punchin NOS

Postby DMan7 » June 22nd, 2022, 9:01 pm

I'm seeing a document making the rounds about KISS Baking Company with increased prices to their products, but the document looking real fake with bad spelling. Can anyone else confirm?

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » June 22nd, 2022, 9:07 pm

DMan7 wrote:I'm seeing a document making the rounds about KISS Baking Company with increased prices to their products, but the document looking real fake with bad spelling. Can anyone else confirm?
It says prizes instead of prices .
...what do you think?

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » June 22nd, 2022, 9:15 pm

For the regular doubles patrons seeing some men prices up to $10 already
Now for a 2 bite finger food it's costly but at the same time almost everything that's used to make it has almost tripled would u buy a doubles for $10 still?

I don't usually eat prob between last year and this year had a total of about 12 doubles.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » June 22nd, 2022, 9:18 pm

a key economic indicator is when they start selling goods in smaller amount
like in jamaica flour commonly sold in 1kg bags

in haiti you can buy macaroni by the straw

mind you they make more selling that way

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » June 23rd, 2022, 7:17 am

All this talk about flour increase. I have to laugh because by next week the Avenue full of people liming, drinking and having a good time. There goes the talk about flour because trinis have 7 day memory. Carnival band launch still happening next month and costumes selling for 2023. Fetes will still sell out as usual so flour increase, decrease, government come government go trinis only talk and don't take anything seriously. Anyway, what's the latest with the divers? See what I mean :S

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”