Forums

Food prices in Trinidad and Tobago

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Food prices in Trinidad and Tobago

Postby hover11 » October 6th, 2022, 5:52 am

adnj wrote:For free delivery and the ability to make an online purchase, I would gladly pay more than $250 per year.
It's not "free" if you actually paying something beforehand for it though

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » October 6th, 2022, 8:06 am

hover11 wrote:
adnj wrote:For free delivery and the ability to make an online purchase, I would gladly pay more than $250 per year.
That's a valid perspective. It just goes to further the point that member warehouse shopping is not for everyone.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » October 6th, 2022, 8:56 am

adnj wrote:
hover11 wrote:
That's a valid perspective. It just goes to further the point that member warehouse shopping is not for everyone.
It isn't for me.Never saw the point of PriceSmart, when I could get the same or better things elsewhere for better prices.Trinindad is a small place.If you studying convenience, you damn lazy

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » October 6th, 2022, 9:02 am

timelapse wrote:
adnj wrote:
hover11 wrote:
It isn't for me.Never saw the point of PriceSmart, when I could get the same or better things elsewhere for better prices.Trinindad is a small place.If you studying convenience, you damn lazy

Convenience and increase in gas prices is a true thing...just saying

dogg
Riding on 17's

Postby dogg » October 6th, 2022, 9:07 am

Agreed.
For those living paycheck to paycheck, bulk buying could be challenging.
But for everyone else who manages their income effectively, bulk buying is a necessity, it saves time and money.

Skanky wrote:Pearls before swine.

What I'm saying is very simple....buy what you need and will use for a specific time period.

For instance we buy what we need and will use for a week to two week period.I go to a grocery where I buy both groceries and especially market items. Here's a tip..the plastic wrapped foodstuff lasts a lot longer that just buying them and putting them in a bag as you would do in the market or veggie stall but I digress.
The actual money saved from planning and buying exactly what we will use is reallocated to other areas of our lives during that two week period for eg bills and entertainment such as internet bill,electricity bill,a bottle of wine,a homecooked steak dinner, delivery sushi,riding lessons or saving for a vacation.

If I bought foodstuff for a month, how praytell do I pay my internet bill with a big block of cheese in my freezer or five packs of macaroni in my pantry? How do I fill up my cars with a gallon of cooking oil from my pantry or six packs of soap. The money has to come from somewhere so I will have to dip into my pocket to pay for these things on a daily basis while I have thousands tied up doing nothing for me in my pantry.

Buying in bulk for me is not worth it and you can't actually prove mathematically that you recoup the $250 you pay on a yearly basis for membership.I will never pay $250 or any amount for the 'privilege' of shopping in any establishment.

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » October 6th, 2022, 9:14 am

timelapse wrote:
adnj wrote:
hover11 wrote:
X2.

In this economy every dollar counts and if I have to pay to shop at your establishment then clearly it isn't for me. They increase their membership with no notice , first it was 200 now 250 what stopping them from reaching 500 ....just to say I shop at Pricesmart , no thanks is ok. That's 500 in groceries I will get on the outside.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » October 6th, 2022, 9:16 am

timelapse wrote:
adnj wrote:
hover11 wrote:

I can guarantee you that what you just posted is the exact opposite of what about half of all shoppers and nearly every merchandiser or marketing expert will tell you.

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » October 7th, 2022, 7:36 am

Can you believe it?
FB_IMG_1665142558533.jpg

S_2NR
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby S_2NR » October 7th, 2022, 1:12 pm

What I'm saying is very simple....buy what you need and will use for a specific time period.

For instance we buy what we need and will use for a week to two week period.I go to a grocery where I buy both groceries and especially market items. Here's a tip..the plastic wrapped foodstuff lasts a lot longer that just buying them and putting them in a bag as you would do in the market or veggie stall but I digress.
The actual money saved from planning and buying exactly what we will use is reallocated to other areas of our lives during that two week period for eg bills and entertainment such as internet bill,electricity bill,a bottle of wine,a homecooked steak dinner, delivery sushi,riding lessons or saving for a vacation.

If I bought foodstuff for a month, how praytell do I pay my internet bill with a big block of cheese in my freezer or five packs of macaroni in my pantry? How do I fill up my cars with a gallon of cooking oil from my pantry or six packs of soap. The money has to come from somewhere so I will have to dip into my pocket to pay for these things on a daily basis while I have thousands tied up doing nothing for me in my pantry.

Buying in bulk for me is not worth it and you can't actually prove mathematically that you recoup the $250 you pay on a yearly basis for membership.I will never pay $250 or any amount for the 'privilege' of shopping in any establishment.

You are not the target demographic for pricesmart

matr1x
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby matr1x » October 7th, 2022, 1:19 pm

Yes, burn gas going to grocery 3 times a month

dogg
Riding on 17's

Postby dogg » October 7th, 2022, 1:24 pm

hover11 wrote:Can you believe it?FB_IMG_1665142558533.jpg

Well Unilever close down the spreads manufacturing business, so all dem things imported now.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » October 7th, 2022, 2:03 pm

dogg wrote:

Well Unilever close down the spreads manufacturing business, so all dem things imported now.

I believe that VSH Foods still manufactures different soft margarine brands in T&T.

triniterribletim
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniterribletim » October 7th, 2022, 2:10 pm

That is absolute madness. How will regular people cope? Damn, are they even regular anymore? That looks like making a new pauper class all by itself.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » October 7th, 2022, 2:19 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:

wtf , i stopped buying it bout 2yrs going when it was in d 30s cause every 1-2wks d price used to go up 1-2 dollars , last time i noticed was near 40 i say man eff dat , now i will say boi hymc wid dat yes

i switched to sunflower more than 2yrs & that still priced in d mid 20s & tasting decent especially like d garlic 1 for same price ...

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 7th, 2022, 2:46 pm

butter cheaper than the fake butter now

teems1
punchin NOS

Postby teems1 » October 7th, 2022, 3:09 pm

Just buy the butter. Might as well spend on the good Kerrygold stuff.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » October 7th, 2022, 3:37 pm

teems1 wrote:Just buy the butter. Might as well spend on the good Kerrygold stuff.

I love meh butter (Kerrygold, Presidente, Anchor etc) but even I have cut back on buying at $60/lb.

But trust me, if I ever walk into a grocery and butter going at 2/1, I don't care when it expiring, I taking ALL.

Butter, eh, folks NOT margarine.

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » October 7th, 2022, 3:54 pm

bluefete wrote:
teems1 wrote:Just buy the butter. Might as well spend on the good Kerrygold stuff.

I love meh butter (Kerrygold, Presidente, Anchor etc) but even I have cut back on buying at $60/lb.

But trust me, if I ever walk into a grocery and butter going at 2/1, I don't care when it expiring, I taking ALL.

Something that we rarely agree on

Butter healthier

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby paid_influencer » October 7th, 2022, 5:08 pm

matr1x wrote:Yes, burn gas going to grocery 3 times a month

what if i enjoy going to the grocery

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » October 7th, 2022, 5:16 pm

Ride yuh bicycle.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 7th, 2022, 7:26 pm

yuh miss out the other day in trinicty truvalu, 2 for 1 kerrygold, had scores of it on sale

bluefete wrote:

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » October 7th, 2022, 7:27 pm

bluefete wrote:

So who here does buy blue band? What that really used for? I never meet somebody who buy blue band butter to spread on toast etc.

matr1x
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby matr1x » October 7th, 2022, 7:43 pm

Rowley just vex someone rode his wife like a bicycle

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » October 8th, 2022, 2:56 am

dogg wrote:Agreed.
But for everyone else who manages their income effectively, bulk buying is a necessity, it saves time and money.

pricesmart is for poosies and saps who are gullible an want to be seen in the "first world" type establishment. similar to a plain white tee shirt printed "radical design" is a big thing for some but idiotic for others as fruit of the loom is cheaper.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » October 8th, 2022, 3:49 am

matr1x wrote:Rowley just vex someone rode his wife like a bicycle

Maybe it was just a kiss

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » October 8th, 2022, 4:43 am

308996605_415797164002610_7980952259954142934_n.jpg

Do so when you see high food prices and leave it the fuq right they. if allyuh buy real butter instead how the rest of the 2 for 1 butter hoarders go get? only margarine to get is the real creole flavor of golden ray in the pealau and broff. leff all them others on the shelf.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » October 8th, 2022, 11:08 am

daring dragoon wrote:
dogg wrote:Agreed.

pricesmart is for poosies and saps who are gullible an want to be seen in the "first world" type establishment. similar to a plain white tee shirt printed "radical design" is a big thing for some but idiotic for others as fruit of the loom is cheaper.
Same as fellas that think Aeropostale tshirts is a pips, when in fact is a Raj badge

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » October 8th, 2022, 11:23 am

Redress10 wrote:
bluefete wrote:

So who here does buy blue band? What that really used for? I never meet somebody who buy blue band butter to spread on toast etc.

i using blue band all my life lol

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » October 8th, 2022, 11:37 am

All these laboratory oils, they're the same company.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upfield_(company)#Products_and_operations

Upfield Holdings B.V. is a Dutch food company. Notable brands include:

Flora, a margarine
Violife, a vegan product range
Country Crock, margarines and other foodstuffs
Rama, a margarine and cooking cream brand (Germany)
Blue Band, margarines, and cheese and vegetable fat spreads
I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!, a spreadable emulsion of vegetable oil in water with butter flavor
Becel, plant-based margarines
ProActiv, a Becel sub-brand
Lätta, a margarine brand in Sweden and Germany
Bertolli is a brand of Italian food products produced by multiple companies around the world with the trademark owned by Mizkan Holdings; Upfield produces a Bertolli olive oil spread range
Elmlea, a range of buttermilk and vegetable oil blends sold as cream alternatives[15]
Fruit d'Or, a margarine
Planta Fin, plant-based margarines
Stork (margarine)
Delma, a margarine brand
Minyak Samin Cap Onta (Indonesia only)
Frytol, solid vegetable oil (Indonesia only)

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » October 8th, 2022, 11:49 am

So just buy the cheapest one if that's your palette?

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”