Forums

23, Finished UWI, no work

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

DMan7
punchin NOS

Re: 23, Finished UWI, no work

Postby DMan7 » September 15th, 2021, 5:35 pm

This is a sad and depressing thread I must say!

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » September 15th, 2021, 5:37 pm

Maxwell,

Why must you always put down your fellow man?
MaxPower wrote:Hello youngman,

Keep faith and keep positive.

You are young and have plenty time ahead, but waste no opportunity.

We are having a MAJOR issues with Trini workers that are and are known worldwide to be:

Incompetent
Inefficient
Inconsistent
Irresponsible
Immoral
Ignorant
Uneducated
Unpunctual
Unwilling
Unhelpful
Undeserving
Unprofessional
Unethical
Unsupportive
Undependable
Unreliable
Dishonest
Deceitful
Complacent
Complaining
Excuse giving
Smartmen
Slow
Spiteful
Users
Loafers
Beggars
Thieves
Unhygienic
Littering
Lawless
LAZY
Sufferers

Please do not fall within these categories.

Have the right attitude and the right mindset and you will be fine.

Take advice from winners.

alfa
Shifting into 6th

Postby alfa » September 15th, 2021, 5:54 pm

Max should have given the man more useful advice. After all he's a successful entrepreneur running a chain of mini marts but buying bread in massy

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » September 15th, 2021, 5:55 pm

I thought he was a taxi driver, he is a man of all trades
alfa wrote:Max should have given the man more useful advice. After all he's a successful entrepreneur running a chain of mini marts but buying bread in massy

ScHoolboySoloQ
Trinituner Peong

Postby ScHoolboySoloQ » September 15th, 2021, 8:20 pm

That's a nice degree you have there. You mustn't lose hope, something will come up, I promise you that. I graduated in 2019, got a job as a maintenance technician for 7 months then 2020 arrived. Late last year up to April I was working as a carpenter/tiler/landscaper. I did not like to feel dirty nor did I enjoy mixing thin set but as the fella who I was working with said "if we stop working where people going to put their clothes, books, jewelry if they have no cupboards? Don't get a swell head."

I urge you to don't get frustrated, keep a level head. Just have a little faith.

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » September 15th, 2021, 9:22 pm

wholewheatb wrote:Did my Majors in Natural Sciences and Agriculture at UWI graduated in 2020 September. I spend this whole year applying for work and nothing. I don't know what to do, I wondering if to just keep applying until I see a police vacancy or something. I grateful I have my parents to take care of me right now, but I want to work I fed up.
Considering you're still young, look into the Medical Transcriptionist field.

Sometimes you don't always settle into your Field of Study, think about another field that interests you. It may be a better career path in the bigger picture.

Karailie
Riding on 13's

Postby Karailie » September 16th, 2021, 11:35 am

If you can, migrate asap.
You can spend 5 years struggling in Trinidad and at the end of 5 years you still in the same position. Or spend 5 years struggling in Canada or Australia and actually achieve something.

tarzan
Sweet on this forum

Postby tarzan » September 16th, 2021, 11:44 am

Karailie wrote:If you can, migrate asap.
You can spend 5 years struggling in Trinidad and at the end of 5 years you still in the same position. Or spend 5 years struggling in Canada or Australia and actually achieve something.

any pointers on how to migrate ??? or what process you went through ?

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » September 16th, 2021, 11:55 am

tarzan wrote:
Karailie wrote:If you can, migrate asap.

any pointers on how to migrate ??? or what process you went through ?
Dude just do immigration searches.

Most countries now do a points system where they use your Age, education , skills and martial status.

There is nothing left in Trinidad but becoming a clerk, waiter or chambermaid.

Trinidad is no longer fit for young educated people.

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » September 16th, 2021, 12:50 pm

If OP does not have a US visa already, he will be denied one outright. And same goes for most countries you might actually want to go to.

A young male with no ties to Trinidad (mortgage, property, marriage, children) is at the biggest risk of overstaying their visa and dodging ICE.

Sorry to say OP, if you didnt have the privilege of foreign vacations as a child, it becomes harder to get out as an adult. Many people I know as young engineers and doctors, formerly national scholars cant get a visa now because they werent from privileged families that took vacations abroad. They will have to wait a long time before the embassy stops profiling them.

ruskie
Street 2NR

Postby ruskie » September 16th, 2021, 2:23 pm

The UK used to do a kind of young professionals visa. Once you have a qualification thry used to give you a 2 year work permit. Usually by the end of that you would have a permanent job and get sponsored for your renewal. It was a commonwealth thing.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » September 16th, 2021, 6:25 pm

ruskie wrote:The UK used to do a kind of young professionals visa. Once you have a qualification thry used to give you a 2 year work permit. Usually by the end of that you would have a permanent job and get sponsored for your renewal. It was a commonwealth thing.
That is still the case, but I believe you need to attend a UK Uni and then progress for the 2 Yr job scheme. After 2 yrs it gets very easy to settle as a professional.

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » September 16th, 2021, 6:35 pm

zoom rader wrote:
ruskie wrote:The UK used to do a kind of young professionals visa. Once you have a qualification thry used to give you a 2 year work permit. Usually by the end of that you would have a permanent job and get sponsored for your renewal. It was a commonwealth thing.
That is still the case, but I believe you need to attend a UK Uni and then progress for the 2 Yr job scheme. After 2 yrs it gets very easy to settle as a professional.

Think they did away with that employment scheme tbh.

ruskie
Street 2NR

Postby ruskie » September 16th, 2021, 8:21 pm

Seems so. I tried to look for it. It has been severely reduced in the scope of countries it is available to.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » September 16th, 2021, 8:29 pm

Redress10 wrote:
zoom rader wrote:

I think this would help

https://www.upgradabroad.com/articles/g ... tle-in-uk/

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » September 16th, 2021, 8:39 pm

Work ethic/etiquette is important.

Do you Trinis agree?

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » September 16th, 2021, 8:57 pm

MaxPower wrote:Work ethic/etiquette is important.

Do you Trinis agree?

We still waiting for you to give the young man advice from your experiences.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » September 16th, 2021, 9:03 pm

bluefete wrote:

Do you Trinis agree?

We still waiting for you to give the young man advice from your experiences.

I just gave the chap the best advice.

alfa
Shifting into 6th

Postby alfa » September 16th, 2021, 9:11 pm

Do you Trinis agree?

Of course it is. However since the guy has a degree and is actually asking for work advice I think we can safely sign of on the checkbox for ethic. After all he isn't applying for a position which serves fries with each order and where you really see shoddy service.
No need to push an agenda in every thread and before you get to it no one cares how well 'our venezuelans' are doing in the service sector. Stick to the topic at hand

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » September 16th, 2021, 9:37 pm

zoom rader wrote:
Redress10 wrote:
zoom rader wrote:

I think this would help

Zoom why we sending the young chap to the UK? The uk on the decline. He should be looking at the Us/Canada etc

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » September 16th, 2021, 9:38 pm

alfa wrote:

Do you Trinis agree?

Of course it is. However since the guy has a degree and is actually asking for work advice I think we can safely sign of on the checkbox for ethic. After all he isn't applying for a position which serves fries with each order and where you really see shoddy service.
No need to push an agenda in every thread and before you get to it no one cares how well 'our venezuelans' are doing in the service sector. Stick to the topic at hand

Glad you agreed alfa but slow down a bit my good man.

How can you sign off on the checkbook for ethic so quickly? The youngman has not even started working yet.

You cannot assess a work ethic solely on a first impression. This is what employers get caught with every time. They allllll come qualified and full of enthusiasm and then what happens? Shoddy work output.

And whether you serve fries or you direct a company, your work ethic should be the same. You think fries, you think shoddy service, and i don’t give you wrong. But the youngman has to tell himself, even if he has to serve fries, let it be the BEST fries in the eyes of the sheity service expecting customer. You feel me?

It’s all about how you apply yourself and the mindset.

Btw how did Venezuelans get in here?

Stick to the topic at hand.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » September 16th, 2021, 10:24 pm

hover11 wrote:I thought he was a taxi driver, he is a man of all trades
alfa wrote:Max should have given the man more useful advice. After all he's a successful entrepreneur running a chain of mini marts but buying bread in massy

Long and short, Chaguanas!

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » September 17th, 2021, 7:23 am

Redress10 wrote:
zoom rader wrote:
Redress10 wrote:
zoom rader wrote:

I think this would help

Zoom why we sending the young chap to the UK? The uk on the decline. He should be looking at the Us/Canada etc

Cause I have had some family that recently settled in the UK and they seem content .

I would take my chances in the UK over the US any day.

AlphaMan
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby AlphaMan » July 15th, 2022, 10:33 pm

Op how are things with you?
How is the job hunt going?

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » July 16th, 2022, 12:52 am

MaxPower wrote:Hello youngman,

Keep faith and keep positive.

You are young and have plenty time ahead, but waste no opportunity.

We are having a MAJOR issues with Trini workers that are and are known worldwide to be:

Incompetent
Inefficient
Inconsistent
Irresponsible
Immoral
Ignorant
Uneducated
Unpunctual
Unwilling
Unhelpful
Undeserving
Unprofessional
Unethical
Unsupportive
Undependable
Unreliable
Dishonest
Deceitful
Complacent
Complaining
Excuse giving
Smartmen
Slow
Spiteful
Users
Loafers
Beggars
Thieves
Unhygienic
Littering
Lawless
LAZY
Sufferers

Please do not fall within these categories.

Have the right attitude and the right mindset and you will be fine.

Take advice from winners.

x 3,001

Good advice/list for the young peeps for improvement .

Peeps should look at the list and improve their attitude toward work .

Also stay away from so-called friends and peeps in the work place that have the above qualities.

Peeps at work are NOT your friends .

Learn from the Venezuelans excellent work ethics :wink:

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » July 16th, 2022, 2:12 am

wholewheatb wrote:Did my Majors in Natural Sciences and Agriculture at UWI graduated in 2020 September. I spend this whole year applying for work and nothing. I don't know what to do, I wondering if to just keep applying until I see a police vacancy or something. I grateful I have my parents to take care of me right now, but I want to work I fed up.

Nat sci and agri is a severely underdeveloped field.

Some things to look into:

A lot of small farmers popping up doing hydro/aquaponics rendering old methods obsolete, only a matter of time before their complete extinction. No sense in trying to teach old dog new tricks. Find ways on improving system designs. Be it lighting, maximizing use of space etc.

Heat is an issue that proves detrimental to produce. A farmer recently consulted with me for a design on cooling return nutrient flow. Settled for a modded vapor compression system with submerged stainless steel lines. Quick mock-up, energy intensive, youtube design. Cooling tower design is an option or heat exchange medium for high flow low pressure like a huge radiator and fans that are less energy intensive or aerator pumping cool air into water stream powered off return stream falling over impellers connected to the aerator (like a turbo charger if you catch my drift).

Identifying flaws in systems, need for redundancies, automation and marketing such can get you in demand. Open source has come a long way, various sensors, boards, controllers are available. During the blackout a lot of people lost a lot, shying away from the energy grid and into more green / natural designs are avenues to look into.

Take a trip of yellow hat in crown trace freeport, aka wilog / cube root farms. Food prices high, food scarce, people schedule hectic. Come up with a micro design that is affordable for the average joe and average home that everyone can setup and be independent. Work around constraints and designs making it as universal and expandable as possible. The future is universal, expandable, streamlined where it allows for flexibility in design. Classic example is this new house that elon musk design, some time ago I was saying the same thing that housing future will be block type where you can add, remove and modify modules.

Heck, look into the soil that cube root sells, severely under-marketed stuff. Make it your trademark and deal that shiz, let your work be seen on social media ( everyone on tiktok this rounds).

Some have opted to try and produce exotics that are not of this climate, temperature control is the constraint.

Carbon capture is the new thing, align yourself with entities that involved in such or adopting such. Agriculture is a great method of carbon capture if you can keep the carbon in the circle or find long term use for fibers and by products that incorporate them into everyday items taking them out the loop.

Keep abreast with technology and technological advancements. What you learn in school may become outdated fast.

Water, water, water, everyone want some, it in abundance but not in a usable form. When last you take a look at water price? It more expensive than fuel. technology advanced a lot in the last few years, low pressure high volume filtration systems start showing up. Less energy intensive for people with huge demands.

The "I have a masters / bachelors degree", save it. Nobody really wants to hear that, have engineers out here cant use a screwdriver. Thousands just like you with the same level of education searching for the same thing you are. Let your reputation speak, some see work as exploitation / slavery some see it as valuable work experience in dealing / socializing with people in the work ecosystem. See work as a challenge not a task, identify shortcomings on how to increase efficiency or diversify even if it falls on deaf ears when suggested. When you are asked what you learnt in prior jobs at a professional interview it will show that you are a critical thinker and an individual with vision that has managed to build upon your professional qualifications.

Understand other people areas of expertise to find ways in how you can tie yours together with their own. Gave a security guard a few nights ago, he doing mechanical engineering. Man wanted to know how come I in another field and know so much about mech eng. All of my cousins and friends that did various types of engineering I used to hang with while they do their projects and homework so I learned a lot. Till now I still help some friends with homework in process engineering. One had an extra assignment and her professor was pissed cuz she knows the student didn't do this paper but cant prove it. She was also ahead of the class always and was able to pick up on mistakes / shortcomings in lectures / handouts. She learning, I learning and I advancing myself.

Function as a professional, be well spoken, mannered, do not let morons bring you down and never adopt the "dah good so" or "dah go wuck" mentality. At the same time don't let it create friction between those that do but cooperate with them while not conforming.

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » July 16th, 2022, 5:46 am

Are people doing their research before specializing in fields of study anymore? In my days, they had something similar to career day where different employers would visit the university and inform students of what roles are needed to be filled in various sectors but it seems in these times is just pick whatever you want and hope it sticks.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » July 16th, 2022, 6:07 am

Believe it or not, agriculture and related studies could be the most needed fields of study in our country!! However, lack of govt intervention is destroying the sector.....so yuh know nah

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » July 16th, 2022, 6:13 am

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Believe it or not, agriculture and related studies could be the most needed fields of study in our country!! However, lack of govt intervention is destroying the sector.....so yuh know nah
The government don't want it that's the problem, if the government done made up their mind that we will buy food from other countries no what matter the cost. It not a priority in their eyes

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » July 16th, 2022, 8:10 am

Ojt?

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”