Forums

Long Term Cost of Ownership Hybrid/Electric

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Long Term Cost of Ownership Hybrid/Electric

Postby redmanjp » August 23rd, 2022, 6:45 pm

jhonnieblue wrote:Just sold my ioniq, over 135k on it. Zero issues and just did oil change every 12-15000km with amsoil and long life oil filters.
Basic cost was avg 600 per oil change.
Massy did a full vehicle check upon sale and found nothing wrongx no suspension issues, not a signed issue on the car and zero sludge build up.
Fantastic car I must say.

but that's just oil & filter. what about the cost of HV battery servicing and other things?

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » August 23rd, 2022, 6:57 pm

redmanjp wrote:
jhonnieblue wrote:Just sold my ioniq, over 135k on it. Zero issues and just did oil change every 12-15000km with amsoil and long life oil filters.
Basic cost was avg 600 per oil change.
Massy did a full vehicle check upon sale and found nothing wrongx no suspension issues, not a signed issue on the car and zero sludge build up.
Fantastic car I must say.

but that's just oil & filter. what about the cost of HV battery servicing and other things?

Read what jhonnieblue typed, read it again, maybe one more time and then reply.

hustla_ambition101
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hustla_ambition101 » August 23rd, 2022, 8:02 pm

Bimmerhead wrote:I have a co-worker that has a 5 year old Ioniq, this car is dealer maintained from new and has been sitting in massy for 5 months with them trying to figure out what is wrong with it. Initially she was pissed because she had to pay out of pocket for a rental however now she is a bit better because she has a courtesy vehicle (upgrade). She is pensive about receiving the repaired car (whenever they are able to diagnose and fix the issue) because at that point the amount of things that would have been changed and looked at the car reliability would then be in question.

Guys & Gals do with that info as you please. Her words "Massy may not have the most competent techs for their hybrids"
Woman driver.......wonder what she did to it to cause an issue

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » August 23rd, 2022, 8:17 pm

Bimmerhead wrote:I have a co-worker that has a 5 year old Ioniq, this car is dealer maintained from new and has been sitting in massy for 5 months with them trying to figure out what is wrong with it. Initially she was pissed because she had to pay out of pocket for a rental however now she is a bit better because she has a courtesy vehicle (upgrade). She is pensive about receiving the repaired car (whenever they are able to diagnose and fix the issue) because at that point the amount of things that would have been changed and looked at the car reliability would then be in question.

Guys & Gals do with that info as you please. Her words "Massy may not have the most competent techs for their hybrids"

Like with any new tech, it takes awhile for it to bed in and techs to catch up.

Was the same with power steering and fuel injected, now everyone knows how they work.

I holding out awhile to see what electric will offer while techs catch up. So far nothing tickles my fancy, maybe in the future tesla motor kits will be available as bolt on retrofits. New cars just don't have the appeal the older rides did.

I sure Dr. Striver in Princess town might have figured this out btw.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » August 23rd, 2022, 8:34 pm

the technology is there to retro fit motors to drive trains but seems nobody taking it up as yet and new electric car demand over rides that kind of diy project

right now them aqua fellas only studying to measure weak cells and swap out with other old cells from stolen battery
plenty cut and pasting cells

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » August 23rd, 2022, 8:46 pm

Still expensive and not feasible as technology is still fairly young.

And emphasis on bolt on. Like how you can buy aftermarket performance parts and bolt on direct.

I believe this is what the future will be, just like how they introduced houses that are basically building blocks you can add on or subtract.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » August 23rd, 2022, 9:47 pm

still expensive but the technology is not hard to retrofit but no mfg interested yet
maybe some chinese mfg will come out with something just like there are many kits to put a motor on a bike

but then again it may be very prohibitive commercially as it would have to pass safety laws.
otherwise it would resort to diyers making up kits and mounts.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » August 23rd, 2022, 10:47 pm

nervewrecker wrote:Still expensive and not feasible as technology is still fairly young.

And emphasis on bolt on. Like how you can buy aftermarket performance parts and bolt on direct.

I believe this is what the future will be, just like how they introduced houses that are basically building blocks you can add on or subtract.
Ford is offering the entire Mach E drivetrain for sale... The batteries, and possibly the controller, however you have to source yourself

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » August 24th, 2022, 12:02 am

nervewrecker wrote:Was the same with power steering and fuel injected, now everyone knows how they work.

Remember in the 1990's when the Mitsubishi Galant had GDI (gasoline direct injection) and people in T&T were saying "stay far away from that" and "that is trouble". Now so many engines use GDI including Ford EcoBoost.

jhonnieblue
Riding on 18's

Postby jhonnieblue » August 24th, 2022, 6:51 am

Massy does no service on the battery for any ioniqs, if anything ever fails it's changed under warranty. And I have heard of very few failures in the ioniq group.
So it's a pretty decent generation of tech if I must say so myself. I personally know a couple people with the full EV ioniq and they have had zero issues with minimal service to date and a lot of them have already passed the 100k mark.

IC engines dead in a couple years anyway

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » August 24th, 2022, 10:09 am

jhonnieblue wrote:Massy does no service on the battery for any ioniqs, if anything ever fails it's changed under warranty. And I have heard of very few failures in the ioniq group.
So it's a pretty decent generation of tech if I must say so myself. I personally know a couple people with the full EV ioniq and they have had zero issues with minimal service to date and a lot of them have already passed the 100k mark.

IC engines dead in a couple years anyway
Don't cry wolf.

Proman has been pushing methanol as an environmentally friendly fuel source for ICE.

Check on methanex site, there are vehicles that currently run on the fuel. It's not like we going to drop ICE abruptly and go electric.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » August 24th, 2022, 11:41 am

ICE will take a long time to get phased out of the first world, far less for developing nations.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » August 24th, 2022, 3:39 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:ICE will take a long time to get phased out of the first world, far less for developing nations.

Japan and many other countries to ban new sales by 2035

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-out_of_fossil_fuel_vehicles

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » August 24th, 2022, 8:22 pm

kamakazi wrote:
nervewrecker wrote:Still expensive and not feasible as technology is still fairly young.

Ford is offering the entire Mach E drivetrain for sale... The batteries, and possibly the controller, however you have to source yourself

1400hp is too much for a daily driver.

Had a nice retro/modern crossbreed looking hot rod I saw somewhere that come manual iirc.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » August 24th, 2022, 8:24 pm

https://www.hyundai.com/worldwide/en/br ... eries-pony

here she is

Unsure if this was the beaut with the manual trans. Can pull off in any gear, will be nice if you can throttle power progressively up through the gears for the feel like like you in a manual.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » August 25th, 2022, 1:09 am

nervewrecker wrote:
kamakazi wrote:

1400hp is too much for a daily driver.

Had a nice retro/modern crossbreed looking hot rod I saw somewhere that come manual iirc.
Only brought it up cause availability is the reason why the LS engines are so popular in the USA. Besides having a large number of vehicles powered by them, GM sold new engines from the factory (crate engines) for hot rodders and restorers to use and supported the aftermarket

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » August 25th, 2022, 5:51 am

allyuh talking bout new cars, but what about all the aquas with battery problems now causing the theft epidemic now ?

Bimmerhead
Street 2NR

Postby Bimmerhead » August 25th, 2022, 10:13 am

To answer the questions above.

- She has documents to show, but off the top of her head she told me roughly 1 month and 3-4 weeks without a courtesy vehicle.

- Honestly i am not aware of her specific situation and driving pattern to tell whether her environment or driving patterns could have impacted the situation (whatever it is).

- Vehicle is routinely serviced (Based on Massy's Schedule) at Massy hasn't been touched by another mechanic, i made the suggestion to her to check Striver's and another guy i saw on FB that makes videos about Hyrbids and seem knowledgeable but she's a dealership type of person so i dont suspect she would be moving the car until whatever issue is sorted out by them.

As tuner is a forum and this is ole talk, i figured i'd share her case as im not certain if it is unique or common or can assist someone in decision making.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

With regards to the Aquas and their batteries, i suspect soon there will be an influx of Aqua's with poor batteries and supply may not be able to satisfy demand especially considering the cost associated. Very curious to see how this goes.

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » August 25th, 2022, 10:43 am

Does reconditioning those batteries make sense? Cuz I'm seeing on the aqua group that people's batteries failing even though reconditioning is done. Yes it will eventually fail, but does it really extend the lifespan and for how long?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » August 25th, 2022, 11:27 am

nope
few batteries last more than 3-5 years max

it may rebalance the pack as weak cells often stay low and bring down the rest of the pack

so those cells would be brought back up to full charge but being that they weak to begin with they will just lose charge fast again

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » August 25th, 2022, 11:38 am

how "fast" is fast though?

i assume depending on the cost of reconditioning vs changing the whole pack, people just wanna get a 2 years out of it again and try to sell it within that time.

hard luck to the buyer.

and even when you order a RORO hybrid from a dealer, do they give you any guarantee of what the battery pack life going to be? or they just resetting it from the OBD OR reconditioning it and hard luck for you as RORO dealers dont have warranty past 3 months

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » August 25th, 2022, 11:45 am

so buying a used hybrid makes no sense ?

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » August 25th, 2022, 12:08 pm

daring dragoon wrote:so buying a used hybrid makes no sense ?
It does if you choose a good dealer or import it yourself.
The good dealers would care about their name

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » August 25th, 2022, 12:23 pm

ent good dealers does roll back mileage too?

does mileage affect battery life?

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » August 25th, 2022, 12:28 pm

i feel all of them does roll back the mileage.

and mileage and battery life go hand in hand because everything have a life span

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » August 25th, 2022, 12:29 pm

a shitty thing about that mileage reset if you dont know about it, is that you servicing the vehicle based on what you seeing the mileage to be

so it coming with 120k KM and you thinking its 30k KM
and you servicing in line with that and getting royally screwed

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » August 25th, 2022, 12:30 pm

Phone Surgeon wrote:how "fast" is fast though?

i assume depending on the cost of reconditioning vs changing the whole pack, people just wanna get a 2 years out of it again and try to sell it within that time.

hard luck to the buyer.

and even when you order a RORO hybrid from a dealer, do they give you any guarantee of what the battery pack life going to be? or they just resetting it from the OBD OR reconditioning it and hard luck for you as RORO dealers dont have warranty past 3 months

My dealer gave me 1 yr warranty on the battery. Under the condition that you have to service the vehicle by them to keep the warranty. When I realised the cheap oil and filter they were using in their servicing I decided against servicing there thus losing my warranty. But I wasn't worried because the car was a 2018 model so I know the battery wouldn't have a problem for that year.

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » August 25th, 2022, 12:32 pm

Phone Surgeon wrote:a shitty thing about that mileage reset if you dont know about it, is that you servicing the vehicle based on what you seeing the mileage to be

so it coming with 120k KM and you thinking its 30k KM
and you servicing in line with that and getting royally screwed

Correct, my aqua was bought with 10000k on it but when I puruchased the report from japan it actually had 46000k when sold in japan. My friend bought a 2015 aqua with 20000k on it, pulled report and it was 140000k in japan. Car was wayy past service to change plugs etc

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » August 25th, 2022, 12:47 pm

anybody show me a roro car with more than 28k i will buy them lunch

Phone Surgeon wrote:i feel all of them does roll back the mileage.

and mileage and battery life go hand in hand because everything have a life span

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » August 25th, 2022, 12:48 pm

it’s usually rolled back by the japanese sales agents who handle the selling of the delisted cars

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”