Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

3 Children Burnt To Death in Maraval

Postby bluefete » July 26th, 2021, 9:44 am

Ages 17, 6, 3

Someone please put up the rest.

This is too tragic.
Last edited by bluefete on July 26th, 2021, 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: 3 Children Burnt To Death in Maraval

Postby bluefete » July 26th, 2021, 10:10 am

Damn, damn, damn.

Now being posted on FB:

TTT Live Online
13m ·
Three children have died following an early morning fire at Rookery Nook in Maraval.
Some time after 7:30 fire officers responded to a report of a house on fire, when officers arrived on the scene, the house was already up in flames.
When TTT news visited the scene we were informed that the three children were trapped in the house and couldn't escape.
They have been identified as, 3 year old Kedon Burke, 6 year old Kate Burke and 17 year old Eziekiel Burke.
Their parents, Troy Burke and Jineil Rodriquez and two other children, ages 13 and 15 survived.
Investigations into what caused the fire are on-going.

https://www.facebook.com/tttliveonline/ ... 5082154737

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » July 26th, 2021, 10:46 am

Rip little ones. Absolutely heart wrenching

nightcrawler745
Riding on 13's

Postby nightcrawler745 » July 26th, 2021, 10:46 am

It’s right behind RBC maraval and opposite KFC it’s confirmed , troubled as I passed it earlier , very hurtful way to start the week .

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » July 26th, 2021, 11:18 am

Oh no, that's just terrible :( RIP

Fires are scary AF I witnessed a house getting burnt down when I was 5 years old and saw them pulling the father's body out (burnt to a crisp) and it still remains one of the most traumatic events in my memory.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » July 26th, 2021, 11:20 am

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » July 26th, 2021, 11:40 am

Real heartbreaking.
People and fire officers tried desperately to break the doors to get to them.
We have to lock up ourselves in our home so securely because of bandits that when there’s an emergency it’s tough for us to get out or rescuers to get in.

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » July 26th, 2021, 11:51 am

The father bawling trying to save his children was hard to watch.

RIP

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » July 26th, 2021, 12:04 pm

:shock:

:(

R.I.P .... :(

VII
punchin NOS

Postby VII » July 26th, 2021, 12:20 pm

It's too much..could only watch the vid with the chief..

Poor young ones..its too much..

:cry:

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » July 26th, 2021, 12:46 pm

i don’t even bother to watch the details like that

eurotuner
12 pounds of Boost

Postby eurotuner » July 26th, 2021, 1:24 pm

My skin crawl, wow wow wow wow. :cry:

wing
Riding on 18's

Postby wing » July 26th, 2021, 2:12 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:Real heartbreaking.
We have to lock up ourselves in our home so securely because of bandits that when there’s an emergency it’s tough for us to get out or rescuers to get in.
Even more heartbreaking when it could have been prevented with an emergency procedure especially with a 16 year old still in the house. More than likely smoke inhalation before actual burns that killed them. Yes we have to barricade, but extinguishers, emergency exits, access to emergency keys, drills etc. Sad sad sad. Everyone out there, please make sure everyone knows what to do in an emergency...and put things in place...

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » July 26th, 2021, 2:31 pm

Extremely sad situation. R.I.P Kids.

VII
punchin NOS

Postby VII » July 26th, 2021, 2:39 pm

Don't want to lecture at a time like this because things can go wrong even with the best plan, but men make sure you have a proper fool proof escape plan/route for your family in the event of a fire, and there must be more than one at opposite ends/sides and even the middle of the house depending on the size and interior configuration and always keep relevant keys by relevant gates windows etc..

I'm really trying hard to forget about this now but it's hard.. I gone..

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » July 26th, 2021, 3:11 pm

July 26th, 2021

MEDIA RELEASE

Police probe deaths of 3 children by fire in Maraval

Police are investigating a report of a house fire at 9A Rookery Nook, Maraval, this morning, which claimed the lives of three children and caused injury to a Police Inspector.

Around 8:10am on Monday 26th July 2021, officers attached to the St. Clair Police Station under the supervision of acting Insp. Farrell, responded to a report of fire at Rookery Nook, Maraval. On arrival, the police officers met FSSO CASTILLO and a team of Fire Fighters from the Wrightson Road Fire Station. They observed smoke emanating from a dwelling house on the eastern and western sides of the house. They also heard screams coming from the building. The Fire Service proceeded to extinguish the fire. First responders on the scene were Inspector Dirk John and a party of officers from the Maraval Police Station who assisted in efforts to rescue the children trapped inside the house.

Inspector John sustained an injury in the process of the rescue efforts. When the police officers entered the house, they observed the bodies of two children both lying on the floor and burnt beyond recognition. On making further checks, another body was seen lying on the floor in the patio which was secured by way of wrought iron burglar proofing on the north-western side of house. That body was also burnt.

The DMO Dr. Sangamreddi visited the scene, made pronouncements and ordered the removal of the bodies for post-mortems. Visiting the scene were ACP Yusuf Gaffar, ASP Walker, Inspector Sooklalsingh, Sgt. Khan, acting Sgt. Harripersad, and Acting Sgt. Seelal-CID, along with Sgt. Seecharan and Cpl. Garcia from Homicide Bureau, Region 1.

The scene was also visited by personnel from the Fire Service Investigation Unit under the supervision FSSO Forde and personnel from T&TEC.

Inquiries revealed that there were five children in the house during the fire. Two of them were rescued. The dead children were identified as Ezekiel Burke, 17, Faith Burke, 6, Kayden Burke, 3. The children who survived were Jeniceia Burke, 15, and Kiseane Burke, 13. WPC Jack-George is continuing investigations.

Corporate Communications Unit
July 26th, 2021

END

Zim
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby Zim » July 26th, 2021, 3:39 pm

Heard on d news and saw on FB, I was hoping there were no fatalities. RIP to the fallen, condolences to the loved ones. This real tragic and scary, one cannot even imagine the pain the parents are feeling rn....wow

SMc
punchin NOS

Postby SMc » July 26th, 2021, 4:36 pm

VII wrote:Don't want to lecture at a time like this because things can go wrong even with the best plan, but men make sure you have a proper fool proof escape plan/route for your family in the event of a fire, and there must be more than one at opposite ends/sides and even the middle of the house depending on the size and interior configuration and always keep relevant keys by relevant gates windows etc..

I completely agree, we live in bandit/ burgler proof houses to keep them out but when the tables are turned and the threat is on the inside we may equally as badly off. I know where every fire escape is in my mom's house is but not sure she does- now I going to make sure she is aware because it's not really something we think about on a daily but do consider from time to time.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » July 26th, 2021, 6:28 pm

Agree - RIP little babies :angel:

Reality Fire Station investigation :

Is that the firemen did NOT have the necessary TOOLS to open the iron/ grill door ?

Is is that they did NOT have a sledge hammer to break the wall ?

Is is that they forgot to bring the "jaws of life " tools or ANY tools like Bandits walk with nowadays ?

Is is that they could not access the house via the roof ?

Is is that they arrived late ?

And the parents ? Where were the parents ?

T&T Peeps put their trust in these state agencies and they always bring us sadness :roll:

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » July 26th, 2021, 6:36 pm

RedVEVO wrote:

Is that the firemen did NOT have the necessary TOOLS to open the iron/ grill door ?

Is is that they forgot to bring the "jaws of life " tools or ANY tools like Bandits walk with nowadays ?

T&T Peeps put their trust in these state agencies and they always bring us sadness :roll:

Vev,

These are all vital questions.

Could these lives have been saved?

This is so heart breaking and a painful way to die.

wing
Riding on 18's

Postby wing » July 26th, 2021, 7:10 pm

RedVEVO wrote:

Very valid points here. I understand the need for safety and procedures etc, but I can't help but feel more could have been done, maybe more info could have been given or asked for at the time the call was made for any specialized tools. Hope those kid's deaths can lead to improved fire safety and fire fighting in the future.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » July 26th, 2021, 7:29 pm

a cordless sawzall with carbide tip blade cutting thru anything
cast iron incl
along with a cordless drill to make starter hole in the wooden door
it coulda cut a big hold on it and any burglar proofing behind

sam1978
Riding on 16's

Postby sam1978 » July 26th, 2021, 8:50 pm

RedVEVO wrote:

These questions MUST be answered. An investigation is needed.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » July 26th, 2021, 8:51 pm

the roof is usually where the fire is strong as wood and air fuel it

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » July 26th, 2021, 9:40 pm

Reading this made my eyes sting.

Doubles vendor, neighbours hailed as heroes
2 rescued from fire
Gyasi Gonzales 1 hr ago

HEADED FOR HOSPITAL: A relative looks into an ambulance which had a family member who was injured in the fire at Rookery Nook, Maraval, yesterday. Three children died in the fire.

A doubles vendor and neighbours are being hailed as heroes for the role they played in trying to save the lives of two children from a raging fire at a house in Maraval yesterday morning.

Three children—Ezekiel Burke, 17, Faith Burke, six, and Kayden Burke, three,—perished in the fire in the house which had been secured by burglar-proofing and prevented their escape. However, siblings Janiceia, 15, and Kiseane, 13, were rescued.

The doubles man told the Express in a phone interview yesterday, while he was relieved the two children were saved, he would be forever haunted by the three who died.

He is Paul, 54, from Diego Martin, and he has been selling doubles in that area for over ten years. “I really don’t like the publicity thing,” he said in requesting that his last name not be published.

He explained, however, that in the ten years he has been selling in the area he and the other doubles vendors got to know the family very well.

He said they often relied on the family to have their phones charged as well as being allowed access for emergency bathroom breaks. The only payment the family wanted was doubles, he said.

He recalled at 6.30 a.m. he and two other employees of Darren’s Doubles had begun setting up their cart at a corner near Royal Bank off Saddle Road, Maraval.

Around 7.30 a.m. while attending to a customer they all heard a loud “boom”.

“When I spin around I saw the whole house on fire,” he said.

“Something made me grab a long-wheel spanner and I just ran straight down to the back where the house is and I saw one of the boys (Ezekiel Burke) trying to squeeze under the burglar-proofing.

“I asked where are the other children and he said in the bedroom,” said Paul.

He said he then tried to enter the house via a kitchen door.

Precious life

Paul said he and others were able to breach the door but as they did a back-draught of flames shot out at them. “The whole kitchen was on fire,” he said.

He said he and the other rescuers then tried accessing the house through its burglar-proofed windows.

“I saw a piece of pipe on the ground and then I got a water hose from the security in Royal Bank and then I tried wetting the boy (Ezekiel Burke) and then we tried to prise open the burglar-proofing with a pigfoot but yuh hearing him and the children and them screaming,” he said.

“Two of the bigger girls got out. We broke them out,” he said.

Asked if he feared for his own life, Paul replied, “All I was concerned about was them because every day we see them so I didn’t think about my own life at all everything happened so fast.”

“You really don’t see the neighbours and them out there every day but this morning (yesterday) they came out and everyone who was there put a hand and tried to do something. We really tried and I wanted to do more to save the children and them life,” he said.

“Right now I am studying the mother and father because we all go down good and they lost everything,” he added.

He said that while still in shock he had some time to think.

“Life is so precious because the way how some people live they should realise that fighting and bickering have no place and we have to live in more unity because a tragedy can happen to anyone anywhere and the person yuh vexed with today may be the only one who can help you tomorrow,” he said.

https://trinidadexpress.com/news/local/ ... c4d07.html

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » July 26th, 2021, 9:45 pm

RedVEVO: This may answer some of your questions.

Hero dad injured trying to rescue trapped son
He saw him die
Alexander Bruzual

“IT’S the screams. The screams I will never forget.”

These were the words of one man while speaking to the Express on the roadway off Rookery Nook #1, Maraval, yesterday morning near the smouldering home in which three children had died.

The victims, Ezekiel Burke, 17, Faith Burke, six, and Kayden Burke, three, were trapped in an area of the house which had been secured by burglar-proofing. Two other siblings, Janiceia Burke, 15, and Kiseane Burke, 13, were not trapped in the house at the time, and were safely removed from the scene before they could sustain any injuries or be trapped by debris, said Chief Fire Officer Arnold Bristow.

The man said: “They tried to save them. Oh God, if you see them (neighbours) try. Men were jumping walls to come and bring water. People in their work clothes run out of the office with fire extinguishers in hand to out the fire. All kinda thing. They were able to get the two other children out. But they were in another part of the house that had not been locked up (by burglar-proofing) so it was easier to break in and get them out before they were hurt. The father was trying to break the door because the older boy (Ezekiel) was lying on the ground there begging for help. You could literally see him on the ground in the gallery, trying to get out. That was the most heartbreaking thing I’ve seen. He was on the ground, crying for help. His hands was outside the bar reaching out.

“I don’t think I will ever forget that, and I can’t imagine how his father is feeling right now, having to watch him die, and not able to do a thing to save him. I don’t know how he’s going to cope. I don’t know how the family is going to cope. God be with them all,” said one man who only gave his name as Thomas.

The father of the three children, Troy Burke, had to be hospitalised for first-degree burns he sustained in trying to rescue his children and was discharged yesterday.

“He picked up a sledgehammer and was trying to break down the burglar-proofing. Even when the heat became so intense people had to move back, he remained. He was trying. Eventually, the heat and all became too much and he had to fall back. The man tried his best to save his children,” an eyewitness said.

About 7.36 a.m. yesterday, police received a report of a house on fire in the vicinity of Royal Bank in Maraval.

A team of officers led by Insp John and Insp Farrell, and others responded.

When officers arrived, they observed a one-storey home on fire.

Soon after, however, the officers heard screams.

With the assistance of residents of the area, the officers attempted to gain entry to the home but were unsuccessful.

Units from the Trinidad and Tobago Fire Service, under the leadership of Deputy Chief Fire Officer Marlon Smith and FSSO Castino arrived, and the fire officers used sledgehammers and axes to force their way into the home.

During this process, Insp Dirk John suffered injuries to his body.

The fire was contained following which the bodies of three children were found.

Ezekiel’s body was found in the gallery of the house, which was surrounded by burglar-proofing.

It is believed he was trying to escape when he died.

In a front room, the officers found the body of Faith Burke on the ground.

In another room, they found the body of three-year-old Kayden.

District Medical Officer Dr Sangamreddi visited the scene and ordered the removal of the bodies for post-mortems.

Visiting the scene were ACP Yusuf Gaffar, ASP Walker, Insp Sooklalsingh, Sgt Khan, Sgt Harripersad, and Sgt Seelal, along with Sgt Seecharan and Cpl Garcia from Homicide Bureau, Region 1.

The scene was also visited by personnel from the Fire Service Investigation Unit under the supervision FSSO Forde and personnel from T&TEC.

WPC Jack-George is continuing investigations.

https://trinidadexpress.com/news/local/ ... e-nav-prev

RedVEVO wrote:

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » July 26th, 2021, 9:52 pm

sam1978 wrote:
RedVEVO wrote:

These questions MUST be answered. An investigation is needed.

Exactly and in a timely manner.

What caused the fire and who is responsible?

Did the children start it?

What type of parenting did they have?

What do we know about the father?

How fast did the fire services take to arrive?

How prepared and competent were they?

And please, save the Covid excuses.

VII
punchin NOS

Postby VII » July 27th, 2021, 9:01 am

Why did I read that oh gosh oh gosh I can't take it no more.... :cry: :cry:

VII
punchin NOS

Postby VII » July 27th, 2021, 9:01 am

It's a must..

SMc wrote:
VII wrote:Don't want to lecture at a time like this because things can go wrong even with the best plan, but men make sure you have a proper fool proof escape plan/route for your family in the event of a fire, and there must be more than one at opposite ends/sides and even the middle of the house depending on the size and interior configuration and always keep relevant keys by relevant gates windows etc..

I completely agree, we live in bandit/ burgler proof houses to keep them out but when the tables are turned and the threat is on the inside we may equally as badly off. I know where every fire escape is in my mom's house is but not sure she does- now I going to make sure she is aware because it's not really something we think about on a daily but do consider from time to time.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”