Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: J’Ouvert Rum Angers Trini

Postby RedVEVO » June 22nd, 2021, 2:10 pm

bluefete wrote:
timelapse wrote:Steel pan already trademark in the US.No big

Do you know the story behind that?

2 Yankees realized the pan was not trademarked / patented in the USA and decided to make a play.

The Manning administration almost had a heart attack when they heard about it and went into full overdrive mode to overturn it. They had to build a case to show the pan originated from T&T and fortunately they GT.

Now, this comes back to my point about how dotish our leaders are.

Pan was in existence for almost 60 years when that happened.

We did not learn anything from the Rum and Coca Cola fiasco in the 1940's.

Time to teach some real history in school.

OP, J'overt Rum went too far and WE await Rowley's reaction ..

One week later .. :drinking:

Anytime now ..

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » June 22nd, 2021, 2:20 pm

All I remember was the govt having a victory of sorts but didn't know it was only pertaining to the PHI and G pan.

So I just pulled up this UWI article (a good read) on the PHI as you mentioned it. It seems to be a different venture than the one I mentioned above but nevertheless, aiming for the same thing.

"The shift from the MIDI Pan actually came about through patent issues, so they decided to refocus the patent and make it more general and applicable and relevant to the steel pan. The evolution to the PHI was gradual.

“The MIDI was an exact replication of what the [conventional] steelpan was, just with current technology applied to it. The PHI has extended the possibilities, a lot of the ideas, features and capabilities incorporated into the PHI were not even thought of in the MIDI Pan,” said Byron, who coordinates all activities of the team involved in its production, research and development and marketing and distribution." ...

“The idea was that steelpan came from the communities and it was responsible for reducing a lot of crime [decades ago], and it gave the pannist an avenue to go out and travel and express themselves. It is the same idea, there is so much crime and violence, we were trying to provide an alternative to young people by introducing them to a new instrument, and an alternative way of expressing themselves,” said Byron.

The pannist inspired the PHI and now the PHI is inspiring pannists—as it was in the beginning, so it is at the end.

https://sta.uwi.edu/uwitoday/archive/se ... ticle6.asp

I started off this reply asking Dizzy if the traditional pan was still up in the air, but ended up reading a bit more. Seems that we didn't want to challenge the patent from the 2 Americans as it was too risky/expensive.
However, several 2002/2003 articles said the innovators, including UWI senior engineering lecturer Clement Imbert, did not apply for a patent because they did not have enough money and because government advisers said the process would be too arduous, thus leaving the door open for others to take advantage of the situation. But there has been some progress. A US tenor pan patent in which Trinidad-born American Trevor King claimed to originate an arrangement of notes called the Cycle of Fifths was revoked last year when the Trinidad and Tobago Government provided evidence that the pattern was identical to that developed by local steelpan pioneer Anthony Williams in the 1940s.Oral testimonies, meanwhile, place the origin of the pan to backyard inventors of the 1920s and 1930s, which suggests that modern innovators are benefiting while the pioneers remain unrecognised.The current dispute between a government and some UWI engineers and technicians surrounding ownership in the digital and electronic age, now adds a different dimension to the continuing saga of the steelpan.On the one hand, while it shows up glaring deficiencies in the knowledge of high education administrators about IP issues, it gives new cause for research and development institutions in the region to inspect and upgrade the status of their IP arrangements with staff, associates and funders, as it promises to test the UWI policy on paper and in practice.

https://www.guardian.co.tt/article-6.2. ... a608c18300

The patent by the 2 Americans seems to have lapsed though...
The US steelpan patent that rocked Trinidad and Tobago 20 years ago has lapsed on “fee-related” grounds and the patent is now listed for official expiration on June 23.

https://www.caribbeanreview.org/2019/02 ... nt-lapses/
Last edited by Soul Collector on June 22nd, 2021, 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mero
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby mero » June 22nd, 2021, 2:21 pm

Brb gonna trademark wappy and hard pong rum

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » June 22nd, 2021, 2:26 pm

^^ US Patents last for 20 years. If you have no intention of commercializing your product doesn't make sense wasting money on a patent.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » June 22nd, 2021, 2:29 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:^^ US Patents last for 20 years. If you have no intention of commercializing your product doesn't make sense wasting money on a patent.

You can always sell the patent .. :D

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » June 22nd, 2021, 2:43 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:^^ US Patents last for 20 years. If you have no intention of commercializing your product doesn't make sense wasting money on a patent.

Just came across the article where it lapsed after the 20 years...stuck it at the end of my previous post.

Man bluefete, if I had only known some of this back when I used to play a lil pan in school, I may have been more intrigued by it, who knows? Good stuff though and definitely worthy of sharing with the youth. If only the leaders cared about the real culture and history of our country and tried to promote that instead of the usual BS everyone knows all too well.

Sissy
Street 2NR

Postby Sissy » June 22nd, 2021, 2:45 pm

Soul Collector wrote:

Just came across the article where it lapsed after the 20 years...stuck it at the end of my previous post.

Man bluefete, if I had only known some of this back when I used to play a lil pan in school, I may have been more intrigued by it, who knows? Good stuff though and definitely worthy of sharing with the youth. If only the leaders cared about the real culture and history of our country and tried to promote that instead of the usual BS everyone knows all too well.

wtf

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » June 22nd, 2021, 3:01 pm

Soul Collector wrote:

PHI and G pan patent gonna expire soon. We the taxpayers spent TT$33.8m on the development and patenting of those two. Wonder what the ROI has been?

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » June 22nd, 2021, 3:07 pm

That is what 3canal singer and J’Ouvert bandleader Wendell Manwarren said :D

" J'Ouvert is ours .. "

“I tried to figure out if they are serious. The thing I find appalling is that they tried to trademark something that is inherently a part of our cultural inheritance and cultural legacy. J’Ouvert is a ritual,” Manwarren said.

https://newsday.co.tt/2021/06/21/more-o ... t-is-ours/

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » June 22nd, 2021, 3:17 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:PHI and G pan patent gonna expire soon. We the taxpayers spent TT$33.8m on the development and patenting of those two. Wonder what the ROI has been?

Dayum! That's a real good question though. Once the patent has expired, is that the end of it or can it be maintained for a further period of time?

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » June 22nd, 2021, 3:26 pm

As Dizzy28 wrote, a patent, once the 20 years period has expired, cannot be renewed.

After that, it is open season.

The best thing to do would be to file for a [b]trade secret[/b] which gives indefinite protection but must be commercially viable.

Like I wrote before, do some research on how Japan check-mated Kim Kardashian along similar lines.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » June 22nd, 2021, 3:36 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/27/fash ... ation.html

Kim Kardashian West and the Kimono Controversy
She responds to accusations of cultural appropriation: “I understand and have deep respect for the significance of the kimono in Japanese culture.”

Kim Kardashian West’s Kimono Solutionwear, in an advertising campaign photographed by Vanessa Beecroft.Credit...

By Vanessa Friedman
June 27, 2019
Another week, another cultural appropriation controversy. Or so it’s beginning to seem when it comes to fashion and its faux pas.

This time around the lightning rod is Kim Kardashian West’s latest venture, announced on Tuesday: a line of “solutionwear,” itself a creative take on the more typical “shapewear,” which used to be called girdles, and before that corsets. This one happens to be called Kimono.

Turns out Romeo and Juliet had it wrong. When it comes to names, there is a lot involved — at least when attempts at catchy branded wordplay, national heritage and influencer-associated fame collide.

Kimono, a riff on Ms. Kardashian West’s name that is in line with her other brands (Kimoji and KKW Beauty) and what she said in a statement to The New York Times was meant to be “a nod to the beauty and detail that goes into a garment,” quickly became the subject of online charges of ignorant and offensive misuse. Especially because the name was juxtaposed against images by the photographer Vanessa Beecroft of many women of different sizes and colors undressed in the collection.

Ms. Kardashian West said in her statement that she has no plans “to design or release any garments that would in any way resemble or dishonor the traditional garment.” She also has no plans to respond to the reaction by changing the name.

“My solutionwear brand is built with inclusivity and diversity at its core and I’m incredibly proud of what’s to come,” she said. That includes bras, briefs, shorts and bodysuits, among other undergarments.

The line is scheduled to make its debut in July. But while traditional kimonos, which date from the 16th century, according to the Victoria & Albert Museum, have many associations, those tend not to involve lingerie, Hollywood celebrities or reality TV. Hence, the problem.

One exception to those posting their objections was Chrissy Teigen, who tweeted, “Oh my god, I don’t have to cut one side of my Spanx anymore.” Ms. Kardashian West promised to send her “the biggest package ever.”

People became even more incensed when they learned that Ms. Kardashian West had applied for trademarks for her Kimono lines. She has applied for eight, around variations on the name and its design, and in classes that include Clothing and Apparel Products, Leather Products (not including clothing) and Advertising, Business and Retail Services.

The application also involves a specific font version of the word Kimono — a sort of bubbly print created, she has said, by her husband, Kanye West — as opposed to the general word itself.

“Filing a trademark is a source identifier that will allow me to use the word for my shapewear and intimates line but does not preclude or restrict anyone, in this instance, from making kimonos or using the word kimono in reference to the traditional garment,” Ms. Kardashian West said in the statement. The nuance was lost in the outrage.

As of Thursday morning, a new hashtag was making the rounds on Twitter — #KimOhNo — and a petition had been started on change.org by Sono Fukunishi, who wrote of wearing a kimono every day.

“I do not wish to share the word with an underwear brand,” the petition says. “‘Kimono’ means ‘clothing’ in Japanese.”

The petition calls the use of the name “horrible cultural disrespect.” As of Thursday afternoon, more than 11,000 people had signed, though it does not specifically call for any action other than demonstrating general unhappiness with Ms. Kardashian West’s choice.

Ms. Kardashian West has been accused of cultural appropriation before, most recently in April, when she attended her husband’s Coachella “Sunday service” wearing what looked to many like a maang tikka, the head pendant that is one of 16 traditional Indian wedding adornments; and previously for wearing what she called “Bo Derek braids.”

She has chosen not to engage in the public self-recrimination and apology that has become de rigueur in the fashion world (see: Gucci, Prada, H&M) and has remained silent, at least on social media, during much of the controversy.

By Thursday, however, she had decided to make a statement. Perhaps because the chaos had overshadowed the line itself, which was conceived for many different body types and skin tones and is clearly meant to carve out a space in a market somewhere between Spanx and Rihanna’s Savage x Fenty lingerie line.

“I understand and have deep respect for the significance of the kimono in Japanese culture,” Ms. Kardashian West said.

In any case, she is not, it turns out, the first brand with no particular kimono-related history to attempt to attach the name to a product. There are Kimono condoms, and Kimono Lash eyelash extensions. Still, Ms. Kardashian West’s brand is the first created on an individual persona — and her internet fame.

And therein lies the moral of this particular story. Those who live by the power of viral social media moments and sharing can also be vulnerable to the power of viral social media backlash and sharing.

Vanessa Friedman is The Times's fashion director and chief fashion critic.

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » June 22nd, 2021, 3:37 pm

^ Ahh, gotcha. Will read up on the Japan / Kim Kardashian scenario, thanks.

edit - I saw a pic of Kim pop up when I hit reply....got confused a sec lol. Thanks again :lol:

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » June 22nd, 2021, 3:42 pm

Then a few minutes later came this:

You think Rowley and Kamla will EVER stand up for anything indigenous to T&T. There was huge pressure from the Japanes government behind the scenes and she had to back down.

There are some Tweets in the article I could not embed.

https://hypebeast.com/2019/8/kim-kardas ... -criticism

Kim Kardashian West Changes "Kimono" Solutionwear Name to "SKIMS" (UPDATE)
Following widespread backlash for cultural appropriation.

UPDATE (August 26, 2019): Following major backlash from fans, Kim Kardashian West has officially announced that the name of her solutionwear line will be changed to SKIMS. Fans felt the line’s original name, Kimono, was culturally offensive by appropriating the name of a traditional Japanese garment.

“My fans and followers are a huge inspiration to me – I’m always listening to their feedback and opinions, and am so grateful they shared their ideas for a new brand name,” Kardashian West stated in a recent Instagram post. In addition to a full statement regarding the name change, the Instagram post also announced that SKIMS Solutionwear will officially launch on September 10 in sizes XXS-5XL on the brand’s new website, SKIMS.com.

Original story (Jul 1, 2019): Kim Kardashian West has announced that she will change the name of her Kimono solutionwear line following backlash over the brand’s name. Kardashian West was slammed for her trademarked name which was criticized for cultural appropriation and for being disrespectful to the traditional Japanese garment.

Despite previously stating that she would not change the name of her Kimono line, Kim has taken to Twitter to announce in a string of tweets that she will listen to the criticism. The collection is set to release later this month and was initially praised for her inclusive range of sizes from XXS through 4XL in nine different shades.

However, she faced backlash from the Japanese community and most notably the Mayor of Kyoto, Daisaku Kadokawa, who said in a formal letter, “Kimono is a traditional ethnic dress fostered in our rich nature and history with our predecessors’ tireless endeavors and studies, and it is a culture that has been cherished and passed down with care in our living… We think that the names for “Kimono” are the asset shared with all humanity who love Kimono and its culture, therefore, they should not be monopolized.”

Read Kim Kardashian West’s explanation of the name change in her list of tweets below.
Last edited by bluefete on June 22nd, 2021, 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » June 22nd, 2021, 3:44 pm

In this whole J'Ouvert thing, the one company no one is talking about is Angostura.

Did they enter into some kind of marketing agreement with Killmonger that allowed him to trademark the word?

The rum is made by Angostura, not so?

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » June 22nd, 2021, 4:32 pm

NOW - his rum would sell. I told you that Angostura has a hand in this somewhere.

We reach!

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/mic ... 10945.html

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » June 22nd, 2021, 4:36 pm

toyota2nr
18 pounds of Boost

Postby toyota2nr » June 22nd, 2021, 4:51 pm

Doh vex with the man of allyuh never thought of it. The man make his investment. Trini just like to bump their gum.

Wraith King
Riding on 18's

Postby Wraith King » June 22nd, 2021, 5:12 pm

Without even trying, he has done more than Faris in bringing the Mother of all Carnival or as someone else stated the Mother of all Covid.

Xplode
Riding on 18's

Postby Xplode » June 22nd, 2021, 5:17 pm

"The Rhythm Section" nobody ain't rant about the movie

MBJ did that without remorse :lol:

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » June 22nd, 2021, 5:43 pm

A setta jackarse "creatives" up in their feelings over this will sit down on the arses for all their life doing nothing but will turn around and beg the government for a handout and then say the gov't eh doing nothing for "kulture".

Before they look to get up and piggyback off this iniative because the young brother could open doors to places that they don't even know exists. But nah they blow up this deal and possibily alienate anyone from further enquiring into trini culture and commercial opportunities.

Couldn't make this up. All over "pride".

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » June 22nd, 2021, 7:03 pm

If we boy MM had did it , would we be okay with that? And is how Angostura is the partnered rum... If was Bacardi I could understand the beat up.

House of Angostura might have something to do with the naming as well?

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » June 22nd, 2021, 7:08 pm

Mike J hadda come up with a nice cocktail to promote... Cuba Libré (Mentiroso) with ah twist

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » June 22nd, 2021, 10:21 pm

^^

:D

Trinidad and Tobago’s Minister of Trade and Industry, Paula Gopee-Scoon, told the publication Newsday the issue was “of extreme concern” in regard to intellectual property .

“The first thing is to gather the information to see if it is in fact so. Then working together with the intellectual property office of the Ministry of the Attorney General, we’ll do the necessary investigation and, as always, seek to support anything that is Trinidad but at the same time protect what is ours,” she said.

https://theshaderoom.com/michael-b-jord ... d-jouvert/

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » June 22nd, 2021, 10:35 pm

Xplode wrote:"The Rhythm Section" nobody ain't rant about the movie

If it was name Riddim Section it mighta be sumn else tho :lol: Also, never knew of this movie. Trailer looks good, will be checking it out.

Let's see if anything good will actually come of this whole rum thing yes or if it just continue to be a salty beat up scene.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » June 23rd, 2021, 1:22 am

" Trinbagonian rapper Nicki Minaj has joined the conversation surrounding the name of actor Michael B Jordan’s rum, J’Ouvert. Minaj yesterday ..... on social media .. asked Jordan to change it .. "

" .. Over 200,000 people liked the post, with many agreeing with the No Frauds rapper.

https://www.guardian.co.tt/news/nicki-m ... 3ec64f6f42

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » June 23rd, 2021, 5:42 am

Rum to be renamed, opportunity lost, congrats you idiots

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » June 23rd, 2021, 6:56 am

Well that is really stupid.

He should head to one of the small islands...and promote the hell out of their carnival.

Fkin stupid.
Ministry of tourism fail...

And why is Nicki Minaj relevant?

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » June 23rd, 2021, 7:28 am

FB_IMG_1624447329603.jpeg

MDtuner70
Sweet on this forum

Postby MDtuner70 » June 23rd, 2021, 7:50 am

K74T wrote:
FB_IMG_1624447329603.jpeg

The man didn't even say the word Trinidad or Trinidadian even in his apology after all that beat up lol

Meanwhile the US ambassador bad talking us indirectly on state news.

We are the laughing stock of the Caribbean for COVID management.

State enterprises in shambles.

Fuss things bad, Venez don't even want our cheese, they bringing their own.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”