TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Can you support my cousin's dreams of becoming a doctor?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Re: Can you support my cousin's dreams of becoming a doctor?

Postby ProtonPowder » June 18th, 2021, 11:06 pm

The optics are pretty bad yes. And what will become of years 2-5 if the first year fundraiser is going so slowly.

Unless she gets a very wealthy benefactor to throw in the entire sum then it wont work. People contribute to novel fundraisers, not one that will continue to come around 4 more times in the years to come.

Shouldve realised that when the open schol didnt come, just go Mt hope like the rest of her cohort.

DMan7
punchin NOS

Postby DMan7 » June 18th, 2021, 11:24 pm

ProtonPowder wrote:The optics are pretty bad yes. And what will become of years 2-5 if the first year fundraiser is going so slowly.

Unless she gets a very wealthy benefactor to throw in the entire sum then it wont work. People contribute to novel fundraisers, not one that will continue to come around 4 more times in the years to come.

Shouldve realised that when the open schol didnt come, just go Mt hope like the rest of her cohort.

Entitlement and spoilt brat behavior won't ever make her want to go to Mt. Hope.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » June 18th, 2021, 11:40 pm

DMan7 wrote:
ProtonPowder wrote:The optics are pretty bad yes. And what will become of years 2-5 if the first year fundraiser is going so slowly.

Entitlement and spoilt brat behavior won't ever make her want to go to Mt. Hope.

How you go tell all the rest of tanties dat yuh daughter studyig in foreign boy???

A172
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby A172 » June 18th, 2021, 11:45 pm

dah whole family could hdmc

Gem_in_i
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Gem_in_i » June 19th, 2021, 12:21 am

What if the school fees went up every year. Or other incidental fees.

ScHoolboySoloQ
Trinituner Peong

Postby ScHoolboySoloQ » June 19th, 2021, 7:10 am

redmanjp wrote:Christin is my cousin. Very bright, first in a lot of things as you can read in the article but can't afford the tuition for her to do a medical degree. Gov't only gave her a partial scholarship which is not enough to cover all expenses.

A Go Fund Me page has been setup for her as even employment or other fundraising has been affected by the pandemic. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. If you are unable to support please share the link so others can support as well.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/x259d-help-christin-become-a-doctor

Here's her story:

"My name is Christin-Lee Maharaj. I am 19 years old and a graduate of St Joseph Convent Port-of-Spain, Trinidad and Tobago. I am a dedicated, well-rounded student who has been committed to voluntary community service while constantly pursuing academic excellence, and I have many wonderful people in my life who would attest to this on my behalf.

For most of my childhood, I have been a medical patient due to my asthma and endometriosis, and it is my sincere hope I will have the privilege of becoming Dr. Christin-Lee Maharaj. I hope to care for others as I was cared for, and to serve my patients in the way that dedicated frontline health workers have been doing throughout this pandemic.

Last year, I was accepted by Leicester Medical School in the UK, securing 1 of under 20 places offered to international students by this competitive and prestigious institution...

...Then COVID-19 hit. Due to the economic fallout of the pandemic, the Government of Trinidad and Tobago reduced the number of National Scholarships from 180 to 50, only 5 of which were available for students in my course of study. Every one of my fellow students who had been working hard toward earning a 2020 scholarship was caught off guard.

Thankfully, I had been preparing for years. I had dreamt of studying medicine for as long as I could remember, and with the help of my family, had made some outstanding academic achievements (see below) which ensured I was in the running. Earning a place in the top 5 in the Caribbean region for three consecutive years would surely have meant I would be awarded the full scholarship I desperately needed.

Despite my persistence and hard work, and against my family’s reasonable expectations, I was disappointed to learn I had not been awarded the scholarship that would have covered the cost of my studies, as were dozens of other deserving students who had consistently performed at the top in other fields. However, the Government of Trinidad and Tobago awarded me a partial Scholarship, despite the economic challenges Covid-19 brought, and for that, I am so very thankful.

But the dream of pursuing my calling, and of helping the people of my country through advanced medicine, is now in jeopardy. Without the scholarship I had been working towards since I was 13 years old, financing my medical education has become very tenuous. The partial scholarship can only cover 16% of my medical school expenses, and I have searched for and applied to every other grant for which I am eligible.

My amazing parents, who have supported me in all my academic efforts while diligently serving Trinidad’s youth as teachers for over 23 years, are simply unable to undertake this cost alone.

It is for this reason I am humbly asking for your generous assistance in funding my 5-year medical degree, which amounts to approximately 354,000 USD, with a starting goal of 60,000 USD. I ask for your assistance in any way possible, by sharing my story and/or making a donation.

Anything helps. Everything counts. I am truly grateful for your kindness and humanity.

Yours sincerely,

Christin-Lee Maharaj

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/lack-of-fundraisers-leave-scholarship-students-grounded-6.2.1343712.e4201bfc6c

She looks familiar, maybe I saw her at a past event or something along those lines. She looks like a good soul. Anyways, I couldn't do my dream career after I finish cape for the same reason she out here.

I am working hard step by step to get there. What makes her entitled to a gofundme? She is young like me, I think she should work towards it instead of begging a struggling population.

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » June 19th, 2021, 11:40 am

There are many, especially who pass their children through the prestige school system, who fill their children's heads with the notion that they took good for trinidadian universities.

Thats fine, your opinion is yours. The issue comes when you have champagne taste with mauby money, especially when everybody hard up to even buy mauby mix.

Does this family have that opinion? I cant say. I will say that most SJC PoS students from the nat sci class have some very interesting opinions on trinidadian society and culture before they even get their drivers licenses.

People need to teach their children how to adapt properly. We already have a generation of young adults who have lived through a constant recession since they know themselves. Problem is that prestige schooling has too much stubborn inertia.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » June 19th, 2021, 12:00 pm

i hope no one show that girl this thread ...it will real break her heart

Sissy
Street 2NR

Postby Sissy » June 19th, 2021, 12:04 pm

ScHoolboySoloQ wrote:
redmanjp wrote:Christin is my cousin. Very bright, first in a lot of things as you can read in the article but can't afford the tuition for her to do a medical degree. Gov't only gave her a partial scholarship which is not enough to cover all expenses.

A Go Fund Me page has been setup for her as even employment or other fundraising has been affected by the pandemic. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. If you are unable to support please share the link so others can support as well.

Here's her story:

"My name is Christin-Lee Maharaj. I am 19 years old and a graduate of St Joseph Convent Port-of-Spain, Trinidad and Tobago. I am a dedicated, well-rounded student who has been committed to voluntary community service while constantly pursuing academic excellence, and I have many wonderful people in my life who would attest to this on my behalf.

For most of my childhood, I have been a medical patient due to my asthma and endometriosis, and it is my sincere hope I will have the privilege of becoming Dr. Christin-Lee Maharaj. I hope to care for others as I was cared for, and to serve my patients in the way that dedicated frontline health workers have been doing throughout this pandemic.

Last year, I was accepted by Leicester Medical School in the UK, securing 1 of under 20 places offered to international students by this competitive and prestigious institution...

...Then COVID-19 hit. Due to the economic fallout of the pandemic, the Government of Trinidad and Tobago reduced the number of National Scholarships from 180 to 50, only 5 of which were available for students in my course of study. Every one of my fellow students who had been working hard toward earning a 2020 scholarship was caught off guard.

Thankfully, I had been preparing for years. I had dreamt of studying medicine for as long as I could remember, and with the help of my family, had made some outstanding academic achievements (see below) which ensured I was in the running. Earning a place in the top 5 in the Caribbean region for three consecutive years would surely have meant I would be awarded the full scholarship I desperately needed.

Despite my persistence and hard work, and against my family’s reasonable expectations, I was disappointed to learn I had not been awarded the scholarship that would have covered the cost of my studies, as were dozens of other deserving students who had consistently performed at the top in other fields. However, the Government of Trinidad and Tobago awarded me a partial Scholarship, despite the economic challenges Covid-19 brought, and for that, I am so very thankful.

But the dream of pursuing my calling, and of helping the people of my country through advanced medicine, is now in jeopardy. Without the scholarship I had been working towards since I was 13 years old, financing my medical education has become very tenuous. The partial scholarship can only cover 16% of my medical school expenses, and I have searched for and applied to every other grant for which I am eligible.

My amazing parents, who have supported me in all my academic efforts while diligently serving Trinidad’s youth as teachers for over 23 years, are simply unable to undertake this cost alone.

It is for this reason I am humbly asking for your generous assistance in funding my 5-year medical degree, which amounts to approximately 354,000 USD, with a starting goal of 60,000 USD. I ask for your assistance in any way possible, by sharing my story and/or making a donation.

Anything helps. Everything counts. I am truly grateful for your kindness and humanity.

Yours sincerely,

Christin-Lee Maharaj

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/lack-of-fundraisers-leave-scholarship-students-grounded-6.2.1343712.e4201bfc6c

She looks familiar, maybe I saw her at a past event or something along those lines. She looks like a good soul. Anyways, I couldn't do my dream career after I finish cape for the same reason she out here.

I am working hard step by step to get there. What makes her entitled to a gofundme? She is young like me, I think she should work towards it instead of begging a struggling population.

Exactly. Can you imagine if it was Chris Maharaj instead of Christine Maharaj writing this and begging like this? 99.9% of people would say hymc.

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » June 19th, 2021, 12:05 pm

Phone Surgeon wrote:i hope no one show that girl this thread ...it will real break her heart

It will, and on the off chance she does, we have nothing against her personally. She would no doubt be a brilliant student and likely a good doctor.

Her parents and those giving her advice should be doing a better job advising her though.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » June 19th, 2021, 12:45 pm

Phone Surgeon wrote:i hope no one show that girl this thread ...it will real break her heart

Sigh yeh boi.

I hope she gets through but she did say her dream is to be Dr. Christin-Lee Maharaj.

I am pretty sure she can achieve that goal for much less than what she is asking for and maybe people will be more willing to donate if it was more reasonable.

I mean look at the comments here. Many people are annoyed and unwilling and they honestly have good reasoning. Many would support, but the asking amount is deterring and debatable.

I know she is bright, ambitious, has her goals and she wants this, but she isn’t in a position to be “wanting” right now unfortunately.

She is young, brilliant and alive and may want to consider a temporary alternative profession to help with her expenses.

Many people were not lucky to have a lumpsum of cash to meet their career goal then and NOW….they had to start humble themselves and start small, save and keep studying, even if it takes years.

Christin my angel, no matter what is the outcome, don’t give up.

sam1978
Riding on 16's

Postby sam1978 » June 19th, 2021, 12:51 pm

MaxPower wrote:

Sigh yeh boi.

I hope she gets through but she did say her dream is to be Dr. Christin-Lee Maharaj.

I am pretty sure she can achieve that goal for much less than what she is asking for and maybe people will be more willing to donate if it was more reasonable.

I mean look at the comments here. Many people are annoyed and unwilling and they honestly have good reasoning. Many would support, but the asking amount is deterring and debatable.

I know she is bright, ambitious, has her goals and she wants this, but she isn’t in a position to be “wanting” right now unfortunately.

She is young, brilliant and alive and may want to consider a temporary alternative profession to help with her expenses.

Many people were not lucky to have a lumpsum of cash to meet their career goal then and NOW….they had to start humble themselves and start small, save and keep studying, even if it takes years.

Christin my angel, no matter what is the outcome, don’t give up.

If she was a Vene, she could access a scholarship from the Max group of companies?

Sissy
Street 2NR

Postby Sissy » June 19th, 2021, 1:00 pm

She will get some simp to donate...all yuh fellas dsi.

wing
Riding on 18's

Postby wing » June 19th, 2021, 1:04 pm

ProtonPowder wrote:There are many, especially who pass their children through the prestige school system, who fill their children's heads with the notion that they took good for trinidadian universities.

Thats fine, your opinion is yours. The issue comes when you have champagne taste with mauby money, especially when everybody hard up to even buy mauby mix.

Does this family have that opinion? I cant say. I will say that most SJC PoS students from the nat sci class have some very interesting opinions on trinidadian society and culture before they even get their drivers licenses.

People need to teach their children how to adapt properly. We already have a generation of young adults who have lived through a constant recession since they know themselves. Problem is that prestige schooling has too much stubborn inertia.
So the guardian article said she got an additional scholarship, which means she can study at Mt Hope with tuition paid by the taxpayers. What she is saying then is that although she didn't achieve the grades to be awarded the open scholarship, the taxpayers should still contribute to allow her to achieve her dream. I wish her well.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » June 19th, 2021, 1:20 pm

sam1978 wrote:If she was a Vene, she could access a scholarship from the Max group of companies?

Lol samlal, good one.

But Venes don’t ask for too much and still they make ends meet and progress.

But i wont contaminate this thread too much, Christin is asking for help, plenty help and we have to wish her well.

She is very fortunate however to have a roof over her head and both parents working. Big help there with bills and savings.

OP, what is her back up plan?

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » June 19th, 2021, 1:42 pm

This is why I keep saying the scholarship program should be abolished and that money used to continually improve UWI or UTT.

This is a perfect example of children in TT thinking that they are entitled to foreign study simply because they made the "grade". There is nothing stopping this young lady from beginning employment at this stage of her whether it is public service or one of the services. Yet she has been brought up to believe that she is "better than that", entitled and "worthy" of studying overseas even though she is a prime candidate for the local program. This is a clear case of entitlement and our taxes shouldn't be used to help someone migrate via study route. That is unacceptable.

Alot of families fill their children head that this is their only viable way out of Trinidad so they grow up pushing themselves not to get educated for the betterment of society but to migrate.

The world is going through economic instability right now and they see nothing wrong with begging for 3 million tt to fund her study in London? Studying in London is a privilege for those who can afford it. It's not a right.

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » June 19th, 2021, 1:51 pm

Sissy wrote:
ScHoolboySoloQ wrote:

Here's her story:

Yours sincerely,

Christin-Lee Maharaj

Exactly. Can you imagine if it was Chris Maharaj instead of Christine Maharaj writing this and begging like this? 99.9% of people would say hymc.

your point is ?
if it was a cathy marcano or chris munroe the govt would have given them a full scholarship

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » June 19th, 2021, 1:55 pm

Redress10 wrote:This is why I keep saying the scholarship program should be abolished and that money used to continually improve UWI or UTT.

This is a perfect example of children in TT thinking that they are entitled to foreign study simply because they made the "grade". There is nothing stopping this young lady from beginning employment at this stage of her whether it is public service or one of the services. Yet she has been brought up to believe that she is "better than that", entitled and "worthy" of studying overseas even though she is a prime candidate for the local program. This is a clear case of entitlement and our taxes shouldn't be used to help someone migrate via study route. That is unacceptable.

Alot of families fill their children head that this is their only viable way out of Trinidad so they grow up pushing themselves not to get educated for the betterment of society but to migrate.

The world is going through economic instability right now and they see nothing wrong with begging for 3 million tt to fund her study in London? Studying in London is a privilege for those who can afford it. It's not a right.

UWI and UTT would hire dozens more administrative staff and nothing would change.

Sissy
Street 2NR

Postby Sissy » June 19th, 2021, 1:57 pm

daring dragoon wrote:
Sissy wrote:
ScHoolboySoloQ wrote:

Here's her story:

Yours sincerely,

Christin-Lee Maharaj

your point is ?
if it was a cathy marcano or chris munroe the govt would have given them a full scholarship

We talking about government scholarship or funding through gofundme? Reread the post you dumb fck. I'm talking about funding through gofundme.

Gosh some people here are dumb as a rock.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » June 19th, 2021, 2:28 pm

Redress10 wrote:This is why I keep saying the scholarship program should be abolished and that money used to continually improve UWI or UTT.

Scholarships are necessary for people who simply cannot afford higher education. This young lady doesn't qualify. You feel a few million could improve UWI/UTT, even if it makes it to them that is, because our history of cutting stuff is to merely throw it behind other loss making/stealing/mismanagement/ friends and family rewards

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » June 19th, 2021, 2:37 pm

De Dragon wrote:

Scholarships are necessary for people who simply cannot afford higher education. This young lady doesn't qualify. You feel a few million could improve UWI/UTT, even if it makes it to them that is, because our history of cutting stuff is to merely throw it behind other loss making/stealing/mismanagement/ friends and family rewards

Really :!:

The esteemed young lady - and she should be applauded following her dreams - did get a scholarship.

So why are you saying she does not deserve it or qualified ?

OP asking you to contribute to a fund not slander the young lady :roll:

Give a contribution $$ or move on and go look for your father tomorrow.

And UWI is an outdated institution like WASA.
Last edited by RedVEVO on June 19th, 2021, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » June 19th, 2021, 2:38 pm

OP, do you donate to her cause?

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » June 19th, 2021, 2:45 pm

K74T wrote:OP, do you donate to her cause?

Indian boy the thread is a donation :roll:

Excellent Uncle who supports his niece .

When YOU want to go CEPEP technician school we will donate :roll:

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » June 19th, 2021, 3:03 pm

De Dragon wrote:

Higher education simply means tertiary education. It doesn't mean foreign education. As long as it is funded by the state then the recipient need to study something that benefits the country and full a gap. The scholarship money should remain within our economy.

Why doesn't she take a 3 million dollar loan to pay back with interest?

Will she even make that much in her lifetime?
Last edited by Redress10 on June 19th, 2021, 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » June 19th, 2021, 3:07 pm

RedVEVO wrote:

Nah I doing the cepep tech course here

tapatalk_1624129599923.jpeg

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » June 19th, 2021, 3:16 pm

K74T wrote:
RedVEVO wrote:

Nah I doing the cepep tech course here

Indian Boy you can apply for an exemption from a contribution at this time .

Do not jackA the thread :roll:

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » June 19th, 2021, 3:20 pm

K74T wrote:Nah I doing the cepep tech course here

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » June 19th, 2021, 3:21 pm

How much a uwi med degree cost?

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » June 19th, 2021, 3:27 pm

She should pick up a good lawyer and sue the state for reducing scholarships . But she also could be guided that she can go mt hope quick and then buss out to specialize . She can easily pay back the government which would be much cheaper even if she left Trinidad 2 years after graduating and migrating to a foreign country .

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » June 19th, 2021, 3:28 pm

Redress10 wrote:How much a uwi med degree cost?

She does not want a UWI degree :roll:

And she is well aware of the consequences .

UK or USA medical degree is exponentially superior :wink:

Just contribute or move on :D

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”