TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Can you support my cousin's dreams of becoming a doctor?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

AlphaMan
Chronic TriniTuner

Re: Can you support my cousin's dreams of becoming a doctor?

Postby AlphaMan » June 21st, 2021, 8:32 pm

Who in there right mind will take a dollar from there pocket to help this girl who can simply go to UWI.
Help the single parent moms who need food to survive.

AlphaMan
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby AlphaMan » November 6th, 2022, 9:14 am

Another Generation of School Graduates trying to "buss out" from Trinidad..
Wait till they realize the price they have to pay to these foreign Universities....and in USD too
https://newsday.co.tt/2022/11/06/over-7000-turn-out-for-us-canada-college-fair/
:shock: :wink:

triniterribletim
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniterribletim » November 6th, 2022, 9:49 am

AlphaMan wrote:Another Generation of School Graduates trying to "buss out" from Trinidad..
Wait till they realize the price they have to pay to these foreign Universities....and in USD too

Many Trini students see US and Canada and their eyes open wider than the breadth of their imagination. They're not known for thinking outside of the box at all. Germany for instance has nearly free excellent University education that is recognized worldwide, and the instruction is in English. It's utterly strange to me that no one really considers it an option at all, especially with KLM flying here now, and the reintroduction of Condor from Frankfurt.

AlphaMan
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby AlphaMan » November 6th, 2022, 10:04 am

triniterribletim wrote:
AlphaMan wrote:Another Generation of School Graduates trying to "buss out" from Trinidad..

Many Trini students see US and Canada and their eyes open wider than the breadth of their imagination. They're not known for thinking outside of the box at all. Germany for instance has nearly free excellent University education that is recognized worldwide, and the instruction is in English. It's utterly strange to me that no one really considers it an option at all, especially with KLM flying here now, and the reintroduction of Condor from Frankfurt.

Free for German citizens...Not trinis...
Am I right?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » November 6th, 2022, 10:24 am

AlphaMan wrote:
triniterribletim wrote:

Am I right?

Public universities are free (nearly) for anyone who legally resides in Germany. Private is not free. Competition to enter a German public university program can be described as fierce.

triniterribletim
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniterribletim » November 6th, 2022, 10:46 am

adnj wrote:
AlphaMan wrote:
triniterribletim wrote:

Am I right?

Public universities are free (nearly) for anyone who legally resides in Germany. Private is not free. Competition to enter a German public university program can be described as fierce.

Considerably less fierce than the admissions process to many top US and Canadian universities. Most of these Trini students aren't gonna be applying to places like New Mexico Tech or Ohio State.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » November 6th, 2022, 12:08 pm

After reading through the thread, all I will say is this.

If you have a dream, go for it, just remember that it's YOUR DREAM, and it's solely your responsibility to find a way to make it your reality, so you openly expecting an entire country to help you facilitate your dream is basically showing the country that you are NOT WILLING TO PUT IN YOUR ALL to make your dream come true and that you expect others to make that happen for you.

I sincerely hope she gets through ON HER OWN MERIT. Anything else is failure as far as I'm concerned.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » November 6th, 2022, 9:07 pm

triniterribletim wrote:
adnj wrote:
AlphaMan wrote:
triniterribletim wrote:

Am I right?

Considerably less fierce than the admissions process to many top US and Canadian universities. Most of these Trini students aren't gonna be applying to places like New Mexico Tech or Ohio State.

I suppose that you are unaware that Ohio State is ranked about the same as Germany's highest ranked school, University of Munich. University of Munich has a lower acceptance rate than some US Ivy League schools (about 1 out of 5). Getting into an Ivy League school doesn't matter much if you don't have the US$60K tuition (room and board are extra) for each of those four years.

Free tuition drives up the admissions competition. It also helps to actually be fluent in German before applying to or attending a German University.

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » November 7th, 2022, 4:47 am

with the world going back to the dark ages it makes no sense going to university anywhere. even being a dr will be witchcraft ,it is better to learn toward being a spritual smartman like all them in the papers and advertising on TV6. when the electical grid fails and the natural gas runs out learning to make candle and how to melt and smite metal into weapons and tools will be a valuable asset.

S_2NR
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby S_2NR » November 7th, 2022, 8:34 am

triniterribletim wrote:

Yu have to consider:
Trinis are more likely to have family in the US and Canada than Germany
US and Canada have a larger caribbean population which would make settling in easier
Plenty trinis also familiar with US, Canada from visiting before.
And on top of that, the language and cultural barrier in Germany.
We much closer to North American culture than German.

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » November 7th, 2022, 10:41 am

redmanjp wrote:Christin is my cousin. Very bright, first in a lot of things as you can read in the article but can't afford the tuition for her to do a medical degree. Gov't only gave her a partial scholarship which is not enough to cover all expenses.

A Go Fund Me page has been setup for her as even employment or other fundraising has been affected by the pandemic. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. If you are unable to support please share the link so others can support as well.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/x259d-help-christin-become-a-doctor

Here's her story:

"My name is Christin-Lee Maharaj. I am 19 years old and a graduate of St Joseph Convent Port-of-Spain, Trinidad and Tobago. I am a dedicated, well-rounded student who has been committed to voluntary community service while constantly pursuing academic excellence, and I have many wonderful people in my life who would attest to this on my behalf.

For most of my childhood, I have been a medical patient due to my asthma and endometriosis, and it is my sincere hope I will have the privilege of becoming Dr. Christin-Lee Maharaj. I hope to care for others as I was cared for, and to serve my patients in the way that dedicated frontline health workers have been doing throughout this pandemic.

Last year, I was accepted by Leicester Medical School in the UK, securing 1 of under 20 places offered to international students by this competitive and prestigious institution...

...Then COVID-19 hit. Due to the economic fallout of the pandemic, the Government of Trinidad and Tobago reduced the number of National Scholarships from 180 to 50, only 5 of which were available for students in my course of study. Every one of my fellow students who had been working hard toward earning a 2020 scholarship was caught off guard.

Thankfully, I had been preparing for years. I had dreamt of studying medicine for as long as I could remember, and with the help of my family, had made some outstanding academic achievements (see below) which ensured I was in the running. Earning a place in the top 5 in the Caribbean region for three consecutive years would surely have meant I would be awarded the full scholarship I desperately needed.

Despite my persistence and hard work, and against my family’s reasonable expectations, I was disappointed to learn I had not been awarded the scholarship that would have covered the cost of my studies, as were dozens of other deserving students who had consistently performed at the top in other fields. However, the Government of Trinidad and Tobago awarded me a partial Scholarship, despite the economic challenges Covid-19 brought, and for that, I am so very thankful.

But the dream of pursuing my calling, and of helping the people of my country through advanced medicine, is now in jeopardy. Without the scholarship I had been working towards since I was 13 years old, financing my medical education has become very tenuous. The partial scholarship can only cover 16% of my medical school expenses, and I have searched for and applied to every other grant for which I am eligible.

My amazing parents, who have supported me in all my academic efforts while diligently serving Trinidad’s youth as teachers for over 23 years, are simply unable to undertake this cost alone.

It is for this reason I am humbly asking for your generous assistance in funding my 5-year medical degree, which amounts to approximately 354,000 USD, with a starting goal of 60,000 USD. I ask for your assistance in any way possible, by sharing my story and/or making a donation.

Anything helps. Everything counts. I am truly grateful for your kindness and humanity.

Yours sincerely,

Christin-Lee Maharaj

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/lack-of-fundraisers-leave-scholarship-students-grounded-6.2.1343712.e4201bfc6c

Just an update to this original story, Christin-Lee Maharaj successfully raised enough funds to attend the Leicester Medical School in the UK. She just completed her first year with distinction and has moved on to her second year.

Her dreams became reality despite the criticism... well done.

AlphaMan
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby AlphaMan » November 7th, 2022, 1:48 pm

The_Honourable wrote:
redmanjp wrote:Christin is my cousin. Very bright, first in a lot of things as you can read in the article but can't afford the tuition for her to do a medical degree. Gov't only gave her a partial scholarship which is not enough to cover all expenses.

A Go Fund Me page has been setup for her as even employment or other fundraising has been affected by the pandemic. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. If you are unable to support please share the link so others can support as well.

Here's her story:

"My name is Christin-Lee Maharaj. I am 19 years old and a graduate of St Joseph Convent Port-of-Spain, Trinidad and Tobago. I am a dedicated, well-rounded student who has been committed to voluntary community service while constantly pursuing academic excellence, and I have many wonderful people in my life who would attest to this on my behalf.

For most of my childhood, I have been a medical patient due to my asthma and endometriosis, and it is my sincere hope I will have the privilege of becoming Dr. Christin-Lee Maharaj. I hope to care for others as I was cared for, and to serve my patients in the way that dedicated frontline health workers have been doing throughout this pandemic.

Last year, I was accepted by Leicester Medical School in the UK, securing 1 of under 20 places offered to international students by this competitive and prestigious institution...

...Then COVID-19 hit. Due to the economic fallout of the pandemic, the Government of Trinidad and Tobago reduced the number of National Scholarships from 180 to 50, only 5 of which were available for students in my course of study. Every one of my fellow students who had been working hard toward earning a 2020 scholarship was caught off guard.

Thankfully, I had been preparing for years. I had dreamt of studying medicine for as long as I could remember, and with the help of my family, had made some outstanding academic achievements (see below) which ensured I was in the running. Earning a place in the top 5 in the Caribbean region for three consecutive years would surely have meant I would be awarded the full scholarship I desperately needed.

Despite my persistence and hard work, and against my family’s reasonable expectations, I was disappointed to learn I had not been awarded the scholarship that would have covered the cost of my studies, as were dozens of other deserving students who had consistently performed at the top in other fields. However, the Government of Trinidad and Tobago awarded me a partial Scholarship, despite the economic challenges Covid-19 brought, and for that, I am so very thankful.

But the dream of pursuing my calling, and of helping the people of my country through advanced medicine, is now in jeopardy. Without the scholarship I had been working towards since I was 13 years old, financing my medical education has become very tenuous. The partial scholarship can only cover 16% of my medical school expenses, and I have searched for and applied to every other grant for which I am eligible.

My amazing parents, who have supported me in all my academic efforts while diligently serving Trinidad’s youth as teachers for over 23 years, are simply unable to undertake this cost alone.

It is for this reason I am humbly asking for your generous assistance in funding my 5-year medical degree, which amounts to approximately 354,000 USD, with a starting goal of 60,000 USD. I ask for your assistance in any way possible, by sharing my story and/or making a donation.

Anything helps. Everything counts. I am truly grateful for your kindness and humanity.

Yours sincerely,

Christin-Lee Maharaj

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/lack-of-fundraisers-leave-scholarship-students-grounded-6.2.1343712.e4201bfc6c

Just an update to this original story, Christin-Lee Maharaj successfully raised enough funds to attend the Leicester Medical School in the UK. She just completed her first year with distinction and has moved on to her second year.

Seems as though Christin didnt get the memo...
Those funds could have retired her immediately from working in this life...
So whats her plan?
Finish med school and then fly back to Trinidad to slave out in the public hospital? :roll:

S_2NR
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby S_2NR » November 7th, 2022, 1:56 pm

And less than five yrs into her first job, nobody is going to care where she went to school anyway.

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » November 7th, 2022, 5:50 pm

AlphaMan wrote:
The_Honourable wrote:

Here's her story:

Yours sincerely,

Christin-Lee Maharaj

Seems as though Christin didnt get the memo...
Those funds could have retired her immediately from working in this life...
So whats her plan?
Finish med school and then fly back to Trinidad to slave out in the public hospital? :roll:

Consider that she probably wants to be a doctor. If that is fulfilling to her, who is you or me?

She will have to come back T&T to satisfy her partial scholarship obligations which would be short. Once finished, she can do what she wants. Work public or private, maybe open a clinic or fly out.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » November 7th, 2022, 6:05 pm

She got the money to do what she wants. Good for her.

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » November 9th, 2022, 5:06 am

you support the go fund me to get her degree i hope when the good doctor becomes example a cancer doctor an working for a private hospital and you carry your child for treatment and she tell you 100k for radiation you can tell her you supported her go fund me to send her to medical school and she go fix your child for free.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » November 9th, 2022, 6:07 am

daring dragoon wrote:you support the go fund me to get her degree i hope when the good doctor becomes example a cancer doctor an working for a private hospital and you carry your child for treatment and she tell you 100k for radiation you can tell her you supported her go fund me to send her to medical school and she go fix your child for free.
Things for you to do immediately:
Drink a cup of coffee.
Take a shitt.
Let some of the hate out.
Use punctuation.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » November 9th, 2022, 6:27 am

adnj wrote:
daring dragoon wrote:you support the go fund me to get her degree i hope when the good doctor becomes example a cancer doctor an working for a private hospital and you carry your child for treatment and she tell you 100k for radiation you can tell her you supported her go fund me to send her to medical school and she go fix your child for free.
Things for you to do immediately:
Drink a cup of coffee.
Take a shitt.
Let some of the hate out.
Use punctuation.
You trying to teach punctuation to Zoom

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » November 9th, 2022, 6:53 am

Well she actually might just give you a discount on her professional fee. The machines cost money to run and it’s most likely an institution that owns the equipment . The secretary porter etc still have to get paid

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » November 9th, 2022, 7:12 am

yeah a lil 10% discount yuh go get

by and large 95% of doctors are ruthless price rapers esp them big surgeons
but there are some who arent.

mind you to see some of the most elite cars in the country just go to st clair medical doctors car park.....

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » November 10th, 2022, 5:32 am

pugboy wrote:yeah a lil 10% discount yuh go get

by and large 95% of doctors are ruthless price rapers esp them big surgeons
but there are some who arent.

mind you to see some of the most elite cars in the country just go to st clair medical doctors car park.....

Dude :o

Why u putting meh ppl on blast son :lol:

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » November 10th, 2022, 5:40 am

them mc does be scrooge mc duck rich eh. raking in millions and sending business to private hospitals that they own. its all part of worshiping the devil in my opinion.

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » November 10th, 2022, 7:46 am

Hi guys just checking in to offer some unwarranted hate as well

hate hate hate hate

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » November 11th, 2022, 5:41 pm

daring dragoon wrote:them mc does be scrooge mc duck rich eh. raking in millions and sending business to private hospitals that they own. its all part of worshiping the devil in my opinion.

Haterade is a sour and salty and bitter beverage. Don't drink too much of it :lol:

But srsly

Most of the doctors that made such wealth made it in the private sector. Think about this.
The average person needing specialized medical care goes to the public hospital first, for the reason that the majority can't afford to go private. The majority of patients in public hospitals are middle-lower income persons without health insurance coverage. So, if the doctor in the public hospital tells the patient there to see them in their private practice for surgical treatment, who paying the doctor? remember, they have little to no money, and no insurance. Many don't even own their home, so they don't have an asset they can leverage to pay for private care.

They make some good coin in private sector hospitals, because they have skills and capabilities that you either won't find similar in public hospitals, or if you do find them, is how long you willing to wait until they get to your case.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » November 11th, 2022, 7:30 pm

most of those docs also did their guinea pig practice in the public sector too eh
don’t leave out that part
and most still keep jobs on both sides and you can guess which one they declare to the taxman

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » November 11th, 2022, 8:13 pm

88sins wrote:
daring dragoon wrote:them mc does be scrooge mc duck rich eh. raking in millions and sending business to private hospitals that they own. its all part of worshiping the devil in my opinion.

Haterade is a sour and salty and bitter beverage. Don't drink too much of it :lol:

But srsly

Most of the doctors that made such wealth made it in the private sector. Think about this.
The average person needing specialized medical care goes to the public hospital first, for the reason that the majority can't afford to go private. The majority of patients in public hospitals are middle-lower income persons without health insurance coverage. So, if the doctor in the public hospital tells the patient there to see them in their private practice for surgical treatment, who paying the doctor? remember, they have little to no money, and no insurance. Many don't even own their home, so they don't have an asset they can leverage to pay for private care.

They make some good coin in private sector hospitals, because they have skills and capabilities that you either won't find similar in public hospitals, or if you do find them, is how long you willing to wait until they get to your case.

That's not haterade. That's pond water and monkey spunk in an old, dirty rum bottle.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » November 11th, 2022, 9:23 pm

Trinis,

Focus on yourselves, stop counting the people money and macooing what they driving. Allyuh Trini like to break neck and stare down with allyuh googly yellow eyes eh?

Come on Trinis, better than that.

Doctors just as any successful business are very well paid…don’t hate na cuz allyuh just couldn’t make it big…keep working hard as you can, make the ends meet, embrace whatever little success you may get and most of all…mind allyuh business.

Ok boys, i gone there

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » November 11th, 2022, 10:05 pm

i wanna own a minimart in my next life

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » November 11th, 2022, 10:31 pm

pugboy wrote:i wanna own a minimart in my next life
With Narielys or Maricia cyashing.

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby paid_influencer » November 11th, 2022, 10:58 pm

just pissing in the wind... but we need to change the definition of success in our society. the student in the OP going down a pathway that society telling them is 'success.' but i would say this, when you get put on a pedestal, you cannot move. you are trapped. you have to stay on that pedestal and if you fall you get broken. like me, I am broken. sometimes you make your own pedestal, decorate it with hopes and dreams, varnish it up to put on public display, filled it with pride once you sit yourself on the pedestal. everyone hails you, you get the applause, you feel good and get medals and go in the papers. but inside, the emptiness comes. deep down you want to fall. you want to feel a deep crack on the pedestal. you start hating the pedestal and then you have a choice; stay there, or fall, chant and be happy. Chant and be happy

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”