Forums

Home Garden thread. Post your homegrown plants here

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

pugboy
TunerGod

Re: Lockdown Home Garden thread. Post your homegrown plants here

Postby pugboy » May 20th, 2021, 5:58 am

I saw somebody abroad doing compost with a few plastic barrels with bottom open to the ground
They dump their stuff in the barrel and the worms etc from soil get access to the barrel from below
Occasionally they would mix a little soil into it
Every 6 months they would use the barrel contents to grow something and rotate to another barrel
The results were astounding

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » May 20th, 2021, 6:05 am

Yes plant shops and agri shops are open as usual
daring dragoon wrote:
Phone Surgeon wrote:allyuh feel cucumber would grow properly if rooted in a pigtail bucket full of soil?

i considering planting in buckets around the trellis rather than the ground as these days the rain kinda freaking up the land and dont want to go through the effort to fix the land

I tried it with aloo an sweet potato an after 5 months got aloo grown in TT. Got abt 2 lbs from 1 bucket. I go try the cucumber but anywhere open to get seeds or plants? Also looking for carralie seeds/ plants.

FrankChag
Riding on 16's

Postby FrankChag » May 20th, 2021, 6:28 am

I'm just going to leave this here

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » May 20th, 2021, 7:07 am

Frank, pigs Haraam boy.lol.
Good morning bro.
FrankChag wrote:I'm just going to leave this here

FrankChag
Riding on 16's

Postby FrankChag » May 20th, 2021, 7:16 am

... says the teahead.. lol

we not eating or touching them bro.

timelapse wrote:Frank, pigs Haraam boy.lol.
Good morning bro.
FrankChag wrote:I'm just going to leave this here

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » May 20th, 2021, 7:17 am

^^ check Morocco, pig farming is huge and at one point the biggest farm was owned by muslims.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » May 20th, 2021, 7:38 am

On that note, anybody minding animals since covid start? For home use?Post ting.No pre-covid ting eh.

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » May 20th, 2021, 12:15 pm

Leaving under the pile open to the soil for wild earthworms to get in is a good tip however once your pile starts heating up they won't stay, their eggs will die etc. They'll probably just retreat into the soil underneath where its cooler.

My brother buried a bunch of veggie scraps in a hole and just let that do its thing. It attracted loads of earthworms in that area and that's where we had the dragonfruit I posted earlier in the thread which did pretty well.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » May 20th, 2021, 12:57 pm

For the nerds, do we have red wigglers here?

meccalli
punchin NOS

Postby meccalli » May 20th, 2021, 1:36 pm

timelapse wrote:For the nerds, do we have red wigglers here?

No, those are indigenous to europe however we do have genera of epigeic litter worms, they're probably much less efficient than red wigglers however. You can import them though I guess.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » May 20th, 2021, 1:38 pm

i now see this pop up on facebook

amazing yes

i want some dragon fruit plants

how long that taking to grow from cuttings?

https://www.facebook.com/tropicaldragonfruit

https://fb.watch/5Cl-zJG3hw/

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » May 20th, 2021, 1:58 pm

Phone Surgeon wrote:i now see this pop up on facebook

amazing yes

i want some dragon fruit plants

how long that taking to grow from cuttings?

https://www.facebook.com/tropicaldragonfruit

https://fb.watch/5Cl-zJG3hw/

WOW! That is some serious time and effort that went into that. I don't know much about growing it other than it's a bit tricky to get right. It takes well over a year to get fruit from a cutting but that's if you do everything just right.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 20th, 2021, 2:39 pm

Plant some tomato in pots, trying to hedge against them ridiculous market price variations

I dunno the fascination with dragon fruit, the fruit itself is nothing to write home about.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » May 20th, 2021, 2:57 pm

Scrog scrog scrog pugboy.You will not regret it.Thats my new mantra yes
pugboy wrote:Plant some tomato in pots, trying to hedge against them ridiculous market price variations

I dunno the fascination with dragon fruit, the fruit itself is nothing to write home about.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 20th, 2021, 3:01 pm

Would it be worthwhile with determinate tomato variety which basically just bear once after 8weeks?

timelapse wrote:Scrog scrog scrog pugboy.You will not regret it.Thats my new mantra yes
pugboy wrote:Plant some tomato in pots, trying to hedge against them ridiculous market price variations

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » May 20th, 2021, 3:13 pm

there is a guy on fb posted some pics, where he did tomatoes in 2 gal plastic grow bags, the crop looks awesome

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 20th, 2021, 3:25 pm

yeah saw it

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » May 20th, 2021, 3:31 pm

Boisserrie earthworm farms tried using imported red wrigglers and was unsuccessful. They did not last long in our tropical climate as they were better adapted to temperate climates.

They then tried local worms found in the garden but also found that they were not suited for vermicomposting as those worms tended to burrow in deeper soils.

So, they approached UWI to get the most suitable worms for vermicomposting and vermiculture. And have had good results since.

I read that online last week actually.

Anyhow, moral of that story is that I think vermicomposting here is not as easy as seen on YT as special types of worms are needed which may not necessarily be readily available in our normal gardens.
meccalli wrote:

No, those are indigenous to europe however we do have genera of epigeic litter worms, they're probably much less efficient than red wigglers however. You can import them though I guess.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » May 20th, 2021, 3:39 pm

I think so, or at least low stressing it.You will get more main branches and more fruit .In theory
pugboy wrote:Would it be worthwhile with determinate tomato variety which basically just bear once after 8weeks?

timelapse wrote:Scrog scrog scrog pugboy.You will not regret it.Thats my new mantra yes

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » May 20th, 2021, 3:43 pm

A la reddit
gWYNG_ak3-1qPmOpjndz0350nvJUVBZyBrtSeSYsY2s.jpeg

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 20th, 2021, 4:03 pm

where i collect cow poo
there are always worms under the dried pies
sure those worms doing something

carluva wrote:Boisserrie earthworm farms tried using imported red wrigglers and was unsuccessful. They did not last long in our tropical climate as they were better adapted to temperate climates.

They then tried local worms found in the garden but also found that they were not suited for vermicomposting as those worms tended to burrow in deeper soils.

So, they approached UWI to get the most suitable worms for vermicomposting and vermiculture. And have had good results since.

I read that online last week actually.

Anyhow, moral of that story is that I think vermicomposting here is not as easy as seen on YT as special types of worms are needed which may not necessarily be readily available in our normal gardens.
meccalli wrote:

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » May 20th, 2021, 6:38 pm

All right...

After researching last week, I have finally started a compost heap today.

I just cut the land behind my house. There are some mango trees which shed a bit of leaves. The cuttings were not bush per se but rather the soft grass that grows after much cutting.

I took my blower and used it to make a pile then it was watered and mixed with water and some kitchen scraps using a rake. It's left under a mango tree to give some shade from the brunt of the elements. It does look to have a bit of browns but there is also a great amount of green mixed in. I'm hoping the ratio is ok.

I'm hoping to post some pics of progress as days go by. In the meantime, see photos for the start.

Day 1. Thursday 20 May, 2021.
IMG_20210520_182625592.jpeg
IMG_20210520_182448794.jpeg

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » May 21st, 2021, 8:45 pm

carluva, you don't exactly have a heap going there and in its current state, not a whole lot is going to happen. Try to get enough stuff to make a pile at least 3x3 and use the below as guidelines. If you have a tarp, large garbage bag, old piece of plastic - cover it down and use stones to secure. With the heat and moisture, the bacteria will start breaking down those greens generating the heat at the middle of the pile getting it cooking. You're trying to create an environment for the bacteria to thrive.

Just some pics to visualize the heap from different approaches.
My phone is dead so I don't have my actual pics but this is basically what I do with my current space limitations - the wire frame.

Soul Collector wrote:Pile should be 3x3 at least to really get things going in there.

First layer should be some sticks/small branches to keep things loose and aerated at the bottom.
Then add layers of carbon (dried leaves, cardboard like toilet paper rolls, used paper towels etc) back to back with a green layer (green grass cuttings, egg shells, coffee grounds kitchen vegetable scraps - keep cooked food like bones etc out cuz it will attract extra critters plus the smell. This green layer will be the nitrogen component.

Wet each layer with water but don't over do it.

Turn every week or however often you'd like (It's according to how fast you want the compost really), while deciding if to add a few more layers as the pile drops. Add water to each layer once again.

Turning the pile will allow more air to get in there to aid the decomposition process.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » May 21st, 2021, 9:23 pm

Thanks man. I guess I am starting the heap.

I don't have much to get it as big as 3x3x3 but in the next couple of weeks I am sure it could get there. I'll cover with the plastic as well to see how that helps. I'm hoping that crapaud doesn't find themselves in the heap cause they are a real nuisance and pest.

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » May 22nd, 2021, 6:17 pm

If you can get the stuff smaller, like use a mower, it helps get things happening faster. Moisture helps too.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » May 22nd, 2021, 7:57 pm

Thanks. It is quite moist. I pulled in out from under the tree and put in in an area with more direct sunlight and covered with a black garbage bag.

The pics are deceiving, but the pile is bigger than it looks in the pics. I'd say it's about 30"x30" and about 20" high. Not quite as big as it should be but I'm now starting it and hopefully it'll grow in size soon.

It's definitely a good dumping ground for kitchen scraps which is averaging about one medium stainless steel bowl per day with all the additional cooking and fruits.

Hoping it picks up.

I read online that urine is good to get bacteria going. Anyone tried that? I told wifey I'd go take a leak on it and got a hard watch and roll up eye.

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » May 22nd, 2021, 9:53 pm

carluva wrote:
I read online that urine is good to get bacteria going. Anyone tried that? I told wifey I'd go take a leak on it and got a hard watch and roll up eye.

Well I not sure that's necessary.. maybe take her "advice" and don't

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » May 24th, 2021, 12:37 pm

carluva wrote:Thanks man. I guess I am starting the heap. .

Mb if I was sounding ah how there. Just happy to see you guys trying to compost so just wanna help as much as I know how to.

And yeah, you can take a leak on the pile. That's high in nitrogen and can help jump start things. If you've added a lot of greens already then there's no need to add urine. Some people take their first piss of the day, dilute it with water and fertilize using that.

Never had problems with crapaud. Had a massive firetruck centipede the first batch I did though.

edit - the forum really censors the word "f-a-w-k-i-n" ? :|

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » May 24th, 2021, 1:34 pm

What about dog sheit?
Soul Collector wrote:
carluva wrote:Thanks man. I guess I am starting the heap. .

Mb if I was sounding ah how there. Just happy to see you guys trying to compost so just wanna help as much as I know how to.

And yeah, you can take a leak on the pile. That's high in nitrogen and can help jump start things. If you've added a lot of greens already then there's no need to add urine. Some people take their first piss of the day, dilute it with water and fertilize using that.

Never had problems with crapaud. Had a massive firetruck centipede the first batch I did though.

edit - the forum really censors the word "f-a-w-k-i-n" ? :|

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » May 24th, 2021, 1:46 pm

timelapse wrote:What about dog sheit?

I'd advise against that. You can compost it if you like, but you have to be extremely thorough in how you do it. There's parasites harmful to humans in there that won't break down unless a certain temperature is maintained consistently over the course of at least 5 days inside the pile.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”