TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Bad decisions people make in their 20's..

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Bad decisions people make in their 20's..

Postby widdyphuck » April 5th, 2021, 7:58 pm

What are some bad decisions, actions and behaviors that people make in their 20's that affect their lives later on?

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Re: Bad decisions people make in their 20's..

Postby Dohplaydat » April 5th, 2021, 8:08 pm

People will say save and that's true, but take it from me these are far more important for long term success:

1. Don't get stuck in a bad relationship
2. Educate yourself and move from strength to strength, be ambitious.
3. Workout, and take care of your appearance.

All of these will pay for it self far more than just saving. Here's a example for two guys I know.

Mr. P got a nice safe engineering job at a state company, dude was happy living at home and saved 50% of his pay check. After 15 years Mr. P has round 800k saved up, but he never had any aspirations to leave his safe job. Settled in got comfy and got fat. Never found a girl even to date because he just looked sloppy and got fat. He now has diabetes and high blood pressure at the age of 37.

Mr K graduated from the same year group as Mr P. K had ambitions and even though he didn't get the job he wanted at first he kept trying and got into BP after 3 years. Mr K didn't save much, instead he enjoyed his 20s traveling, feteing and freaking around. He left BP to do an MSc in the UK. Got an even better job after at BP. Right now he owns an apartment at One woodbrook place. He has a bess girl, a nice car etc. He looks 10 years younger too as he's always in gym.

Their grades at UWI were very similar but see what ambition does.
Last edited by Dohplaydat on April 5th, 2021, 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » April 5th, 2021, 8:09 pm

Buying that brand new kia and getting stuck in 7 year debt

killercow
Riding on 17's

Postby killercow » April 5th, 2021, 8:18 pm

Making chrrien when yuh cyah even mind yuhself

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » April 5th, 2021, 9:05 pm

Marriage early
Not buying land but buying new car
Leaving yuh mudda house cuz yuh is ah big man...so yuh renting

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » April 5th, 2021, 9:11 pm

wtf wrote:What are some bad decisions, actions and behaviors that people make in their 20's that affect their lives later on?

Hooking up with a fat chick and remaining with she for 10 years...like some bloke on tuner LOL

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » April 5th, 2021, 9:35 pm

Buying a new car as soon as the banks give the thumbs up for a 7 year loan.
Buying a project car and trying to build it up.
Buying an unreliable used car and throwing money into it like a madman.
Constant vacationing in Tobago, other islands or Miami/New York once or twice+ every year.

Also, from tracking expenses for a period of time on excel, the small daily purchases really do add up more than you think.

ScHoolboySoloQ
Trinituner Peong

Postby ScHoolboySoloQ » April 5th, 2021, 9:47 pm

All of you had wonderful, joyous, carefree, plenty sex 20s.

I now breaking in my 20s and have to deal with a failing energy sector, PNM, too much corruption, incoming economy crash, this new world order chet, covid, new normal, technology, too much hormones in foods, etc and etc.

Where is my future to make bad decisions?

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » April 5th, 2021, 9:50 pm

The biggest mistake you can make in your 20s is bulling bareback on your wedding night and breeding 9 months later, then making 1 or 2 more before you hit 30.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » April 5th, 2021, 9:50 pm

Voting for the red government was and is indeed bad for the gullible mind of a 20 year old idiot

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » April 5th, 2021, 10:16 pm

Thinking you're invincible and putting your body through alco, cigs and narcos and not taking care of yourself physically.
with that lifestyle, 30s is a wakeupcall and if you don't correct it quick, 40's and 50's will be miserable.

teems1
punchin NOS

Postby teems1 » April 5th, 2021, 10:19 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:People will say save and that's true, but take it from me these are far more important for long term success:

All of these will pay for it self far more than just saving. Here's a example for two guys I know.

Mr. P got a nice safe engineering job at a state company, dude was happy living at home and saved 50% of his pay check. After 15 years Mr. P has round 800k saved up, but he never had any aspirations to leave his safe job. Settled in got comfy and got fat. Never found a girl even to date because he just looked sloppy and got fat. He now has diabetes and high blood pressure at the age of 37.

Mr K graduated from the same year group as Mr P. K had ambitions and even though he didn't get the job he wanted at first he kept trying and got into BP after 3 years. Mr K didn't save much, instead he enjoyed his 20s traveling, feteing and freaking around. He left BP to do an MSc in the UK. Got an even better job after at BP. Right now he owns an apartment at One woodbrook place. He has a bess girl, a nice car etc. He looks 10 years younger too as he's always in gym.

You'd be surprised the number of people who burnout working at BP.

alfa
Shifting into 6th

Postby alfa » April 5th, 2021, 10:20 pm

Not saving for the future. Doing liberal arts/ humanities degrees only to end up teaching when you realize the zero real life marketability

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » April 5th, 2021, 10:44 pm

teems1 wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:People will say save and that's true, but take it from me these are far more important for long term success:

Yup I saw this at BP most fell in trap of hugh loans and a lifestyle they could not keep up with .

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » April 5th, 2021, 10:47 pm

dont build a project car, i spent 30k in a ole car that never saw the road in the past two years, I stop spending money on it and would finish it whenever I get some extra cash in the next couple years, I call it dead and is that.

don't take a loan to buy a Kia or some econo car. Hell I drive a frontier and its super reliable, and calls for almost no maintenance out of the regular diesel and oil changes. Could sell for the same price I bought it for after using for 3 years or so.

don't spend too much in your hobbies that you not serious about, I have a 5k camera I used once this year. i have a custom build pc I spend 7k+ on and I use it daily for hours.

don't be afraid to spend money to learn a skill, I bought a couple of small welders and I could say I learnt a lot, learnt plenty fab knowledge and could fab up a bracket pretty quick.

buy something pretty decent once, I buy low to mid level products and once they fail or I outgrow it, its easy to flip and upgrade rather than dumping tons of cash on sheit you don't need for stuff u don't do.
the prime example I bought a g502 hero mouse for 500$ and its okay, have tons of buttons and features but its just okay, I love my 3 yr old 150$ logi a lot better. i have an iPhone 7 still.

don't swell the first love you encounter. Leave room to learn one another and get your self right first.

don't splurge on purchases u see immediately, think how is this going to actually be used? i have tons of sheit I bought because it was cool, action cameras, DSLR, Tons of tools that I use once every year or so, tons of stuff I honestly don't need.

get your own comfortable space, a good quiet room is key.

save up some money for a rainy day, I have about a yr salary in savings, but nothing invested.

learn to do sheit yourself, I could weld, plumb, do simple household electrical, mason work, simple stuff like cutting your own grass saves a lot, You could pay for a grasscutter in a year the same money u paying a guy to do.

neilsingh100
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby neilsingh100 » April 5th, 2021, 10:49 pm

Staying in this country.

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » April 5th, 2021, 10:53 pm

zoom rader wrote:
teems1 wrote:

Yup I saw this at BP most fell in trap of hugh loans and a lifestyle they could not keep up with .

maxing out the 40-50% debt:income ratio with the bank is a great way to lose your house

neilsingh100
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby neilsingh100 » April 5th, 2021, 10:53 pm

teems1 wrote:

What is so great about working for BP? The guy working for the state company surely will not get laid off and will most likely have a better pension than you if he makes it to retirement.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » April 5th, 2021, 11:34 pm

neilsingh100 wrote:
teems1 wrote:

What is so great about working for BP? The guy working for the state company surely will not get laid off and will most likely have a better pension than you if he makes it to retirement.

I jus saying the guy had ambition, but haters will come to bad talk him.

The guy in the state company is almost definitely gonna get laid off this year and already had his salary cut last year.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » April 5th, 2021, 11:42 pm

Yea that project car thing before you're financially settled is a never-ending moneypit.
Worth the learning experience, and all car enthusiasts have to go thru that to learn tbh

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » April 6th, 2021, 1:44 am

30s and I still eh learn meh mc lesson yet
VexXx Dogg wrote:Yea that project car thing before you're financially settled is a never-ending moneypit.
Worth the learning experience, and all car enthusiasts have to go thru that to learn tbh

mragoobir
3NE 2NR for life

Postby mragoobir » April 6th, 2021, 6:40 am

Pullin out off all d right ones an not pullin out d 1 wrong one

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » April 6th, 2021, 6:49 am

in my 20's the bad decisions were drinking too much rum and running hoes. at least $1500 - 2k every week.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » April 6th, 2021, 7:05 am

Lifting heavy objects with bad form.Too much close contact sports namely martial arts.
It takes a toll on your body later on

Upgrading your education.Fresh out of school you feel you bright.Upgrade one time, because later on, your brain is too busy for school and you end up stressed.The amount of divorces I saw happened when people did their masters later in life not cool.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » April 6th, 2021, 8:28 am

neilsingh100 wrote:
teems1 wrote:

In BP they monitor your work behaviour , if you don't produce then you next on the chopping block. You have continually prove your worth while your pay is sideways.

It's not a great company to work , it just has name. They expect you to have umpteen qualifications and it does not match your pay.

I spent two years there, smelt the rat and moved on.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » April 6th, 2021, 8:41 am

I learnt lessons from family members in what not to do in your 20s.

1.Don't get married, it ruined family members.
2. Taking loans to buy cars, family member always broke. Cars worth nothing
3. They still renting rather than investing in real estate.
4. Having umpteen kids and paying child support.
5. Stayed in the same job and did not improve in their education.
6. Having big weddings only to get divorced in less than 3 years with loans.

6. They all voted red government but cuss kams for their downfall.

Tings to do in your 20s.

Save, invest, save invest.

Buy real estate, set up side business.

Education, Education

Bull at will and cover your piggy , send her home.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » April 6th, 2021, 9:07 am

Pretty much sums it up there Zoom bhai
zoom rader wrote:I learnt lessons from family members in what not to do in your 20s.

2. Taking loans to buy cars, family member always broke. Cars worth nothing

Tings to do in your 20s.

Education, Education

death365
Riding on 18's

Postby death365 » April 6th, 2021, 10:52 am

not buying real estate- land and/or house, even if it in complete bush and flooding area now. (Monroe Rd was like that and now is millions of dollars for it)

if u feel it expensive now wait 10 - 20 years down d line

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » April 6th, 2021, 10:59 am

Wasting all available opportunities.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » April 6th, 2021, 11:02 am

zoom rader wrote:I learnt lessons from family members in what not to do in your 20s.

2. Taking loans to buy cars, family member always broke. Cars worth nothing.

Tings to do in your 20s.

Education, Education

Some comments on your points. I kinda agree.

1. Don't get married if you're both not ready. It's not something to be rushed.
2. Car loans are inevitable, esp if you need a car to get to work etc. The lesson is don't overreach or overextend yourself. Why spend 400k on a brand new car when you can get a locally used one of the same type for half that. Basically don't be a series chaser always wanting the latest plate.
3. Renting is dead money, suffer if you must with family until you can buy.
4. Don't have more children than you can afford financially and otherwise. Some can make with one, others with 5. Individual situations are different.
5. Education used to be free, now it ain't. Treat education as something that can deliver ROI. Choose wisely.
6. No comment on politics.

The list of things to do in the 20's is spot on, I'd add start investing in your health here, not necessarily be a gym rat, but at least play some recreational sports.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”