Forums

LF: Good welder to do burglar proofing

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

angel_player
3NE 2NR for life

LF: Good welder to do burglar proofing

Postby angel_player » March 25th, 2021, 11:37 am

Looking for a good welder to do some burglarproofing work on my house.

However I need to know what type of steel is the best to use and why.

I understand the options are mild steel, galvanized steel and wrought iron.

Why use one over the other? How is cost affected by each choice?

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Re: LF: Good welder to do burglar proofing

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » March 25th, 2021, 12:01 pm

Prepare to spend some $ as almost every week steel prices going up. This morning 5/8 went to $98 per length.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » March 25th, 2021, 12:04 pm

^^^very true , steel went up considerably in d past few mths :(

as somebody who used to do this for a living many yrs ago i can shed some light

mild steel is what 99 % of what is sold locally as "steel"

galvanise like d name implies is zinc coated steel , some are "pure" like galv sheets , more used for outdoor gates & railings for its weather resistance properties

wrought iron is more for fancy pattern designs, used to come in whats closer to "cast iron" more brittle than steel & does not take traditional arc welding , though in recent times some companies like IDREES in freeport bring their patterns in mild steel which takes welding better , i currently doing some work for myself & went there up to yesterday - not advertising for them but imo they have d BEST & most variety of steel fancy patterns i have seen locally, prices reasonable , they have a ton of displays u can look at

IMO even more important than anything is to get a competent neat precise welder to do ur job .... it have plenty shitpots out there doing shitpot work

angel_player
3NE 2NR for life

Postby angel_player » March 25th, 2021, 12:12 pm

Rovin wrote:^^^very true , steel went up considerably in d past few mths :(

as somebody who used to do this for a living many yrs ago i can shed some light

mild steel is what 99 % of what is sold locally as "steel"

galvanise like d name implies is zinc coated steel , some are "pure" like galv sheets , more used for outdoor gates & railings for its weather resistance properties

wrought iron is more for fancy pattern designs, used to come in whats closer to "cast iron" more brittle than steel & does not take traditional arc welding , though in recent times some companies like IDREES in freeport bring their patterns in mild steel which takes welding better , i currently doing some work for myself & went there up to yesterday - not advertising for them but imo they have d BEST & most variety of steel fancy patterns i have seen locally, prices reasonable , they have a ton of displays u can look at

IMO even more important than anything is to get a competent neat precise welder to do ur job .... it have plenty shitpots out there doing shitpot work

Thanks you Rovin for your response.
So my question then is since galvanized steel is for outdoor projects, will it be better to use that grade of steel for the burglarproof? I'm guessing it holds up better against rust than both mild steel and wrought iron... correct?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » March 25th, 2021, 12:16 pm

galvanized normally only comes for the hollow tube type steel
not solid bars

also galvanized requires etching primer and even so if the galv is new the primer and resulting paint may not stick well to it.

all steel needs to be properly cleaned and primed or it will rust
lot of them so called welders wipe it with a gasoline rag and think it is clean but rusts eventually

INDAVID WORKSHOP
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby INDAVID WORKSHOP » March 25th, 2021, 12:20 pm

Guys, My two cents worth.

Use Solid Square for most of your framing and any pattern of your choice.

The Pattern should be prominent so as to avoid the Burglar proof looking like you in Jail.

I can advise on cost after carrying out an assessment on the number of frames you need.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » March 25th, 2021, 12:22 pm

also make sure the design has many anchored points
i have seen fancy designs just welded to the main frame in 3 or 4 spots so a hacksaw removing the entire thing in a few mins

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » March 25th, 2021, 12:41 pm

I not sure if the op considered this, but it's a relevant point all the same. A burglar proofed window that can be opened is also an option, but if going this route the locking mechanism should be concealed on the inside, and anchored at more than one point on the frame.
Some consider these a weak point, but lemme tell you sumn, they come in very handy in the unfortunate event of a house fire or even a home invasion, particularly one in which the front and rear access points out of the home might be at the time unreachable due to gun toting bandits/blazing fire.
All I saying is that more than a few people get burned to an unrecognizable crisp and die in house fires around the world, simply because of burglar proofing on windows that are anchored to walls and cannot be opened.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » March 25th, 2021, 12:43 pm

^^^great point , an escape door for fires

exactly like what pug said , besides pipe galv comes in hollow section not solid core & make sure its anchored properly

not a fan of using flat steel for BP , looks nice but cuts easy , like david said solid square will look better & not like a jail

take trip by idrees u will see PLENTY examples of ironwork being used so it will give u alot of ideas ...

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » March 25th, 2021, 1:06 pm

them bandit does put a crescent wrench on the flat steel and twist it to rip out

very very common way to break in the french style windows made with flat bars

when i saw how they break in by a padna like that i end up putting round steel as an add on

Rovin wrote:^^^great point , an escape door for fires

exactly like what pug said , besides pipe galv comes in hollow section not solid core & make sure its anchored properly

not a fan of using flat steel for BP , looks nice but cuts easy , like david said solid square will look better & not like a jail

take trip by idrees u will see PLENTY examples of ironwork being used so it will give u alot of ideas ...

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » March 25th, 2021, 1:19 pm

88sins wrote:I not sure if the op considered this, but it's a relevant point all the same. A burglar proofed window that can be opened is also an option, but if going this route the locking mechanism should be concealed on the inside, and anchored at more than one point on the frame.
Some consider these a weak point, but lemme tell you sumn, they come in very handy in the unfortunate event of a house fire or even a home invasion, particularly one in which the front and rear access points out of the home might be at the time unreachable due to gun toting bandits/blazing fire.
All I saying is that more than a few people get burned to an unrecognizable crisp and die in house fires around the world, simply because of burglar proofing on windows that are anchored to walls and cannot be opened.

HSE terminology: collapsible windows 8-)

angel_player
3NE 2NR for life

Postby angel_player » March 25th, 2021, 2:47 pm

Good info here guys . Thanks for sharing.
Yes I do plan to have one window with a burglarproof that can open.

I know I will get bashed, but I really was planning to go with the flat iron 'french-style' as pugboy put it.

So I always have to be on the look out for a crescent wrench wielding bandit? :roll: :?: :?:

Geez crime in this country!!

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » March 25th, 2021, 3:16 pm

pic of window that was broken in

88AE66D4-9A11-47B2-A140-C6854336874B.jpeg
9A43A6AA-1D72-441F-9560-A37CDC7577D7.jpeg

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » March 25th, 2021, 4:12 pm

OP sometimes its good to try things ppl tell u so u will see for urself - its best way to understand

get a piece of flats , typically a 1\4" x 1" ppl like to use in their ironwork , if u can clamp on it something study it will be easier to cut , with a new hacksaw blade try cutting d wider 1" flat area & then try cutting it on d 1\4" side , see which side cuts easier

even a typical spranger will know d answer this is why when u doing burglar proof u make it difficult as possible for potential thieves , do not leave wide\long gaps cause u will be surprised how a skinny dude can worm his way in

nothing is really impenetrable but u trying to discourage criminals or make them work hard at it , u have to think like a criminal ... strength over beauty , its just d times we living it

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » March 25th, 2021, 4:19 pm

also don’t leave locking mechanisms exposed esp padlock stuff

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » March 25th, 2021, 5:11 pm

Yuh know, it's sad to think that people have been forced to come up with ever more creative ways to secure their own homes and lives and their loved ones, to the extent they have to practically turn their homes into prisons.

death365
Riding on 18's

Postby death365 » March 27th, 2021, 11:01 am

Yeps so true.... To lock up by me its.... 2 pad locks... 6 normal door locks 2 dead bolt not counting windows and cars

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » April 1st, 2021, 6:35 am

another spranger tool is a screw-type jack, you cant imagine how much power these have.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 1st, 2021, 8:04 am

well a car is a couple thousand lbs, so easy peezy

a steel bar can be bent with simple leverage and of course the welds are usually a weak point too.

Ted_v2 wrote:another spranger tool is a screw-type jack, you cant imagine how much power these have.

INDAVID WORKSHOP
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby INDAVID WORKSHOP » April 1st, 2021, 9:05 am

Guys,

When I build Burglar Proofing the max allowable opening/space is always a max of 6" X 9" it is almost impossible for anyone to physically squeeze through that space

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 1st, 2021, 9:12 am

we have a shipping container with window about the size of that or just slightly bigger
they got a child to fit in that believe it or not
the footprints showed it was clearly a small person/child
the 9” a child shoulders could squeeze thru

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » April 1st, 2021, 9:39 am

Op, my best recommendation is building the burglar bars out of solid square steel.After which you busting up around the window frame and cast it into the concrete with protrusions we commonly call crabs.If there is a professional word for it I don't know.
If you welding to an existing frame, drill holes through the frame and then attach your bars .Weld points can be considerably weaker to break.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » April 1st, 2021, 11:13 am

a 4" gap or less in ur steel work will deter most of them

like i said above : criminals will always find a way to get into anything , we all seen enough tv shows\movies\news about it ... all they need is d right opportunity , time & tools , is to make ur premises like a deterrent & to make them think well lemme look for a easier opportunity

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » April 1st, 2021, 12:19 pm

lol men use a hydraulic jack with some sort of external tank to break my windows and doors when my store get broken into.

them fellas moving with cordless angle grinder, sawzall, blow torch and thing now

an essential thing is a alarm system that sends an alert to a cellphone or security company

a simple $200 USD alarm system from amazon and the included app save me about 400k in goods in the last robbery at my store.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 2nd, 2021, 8:43 am

correct, no amount of burglar proofing and cameras will save you if nobody knows they trying to break in

old school siren burglar alarm and mobile notification is a plus

Phone Surgeon wrote:lol men use a hydraulic jack with some sort of external tank to break my windows and doors when my store get broken into.

them fellas moving with cordless angle grinder, sawzall, blow torch and thing now

an essential thing is a alarm system that sends an alert to a cellphone or security company

a simple $200 USD alarm system from amazon and the included app save me about 400k in goods in the last robbery at my store.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » April 13th, 2021, 5:47 pm

so yrssss going i usually buy steel by bhags, past mth i doing some steel work & i recently notice thickness of d steel looking less

ex flat iron, d 1\4" in various width like 1\1.5\2" wide etc not looking what u used to get b4

today i was in bhags chaguanas & u can clearly see a difference in new stock especially 1\4" & what they giving u as 1\4 now even if is "ah lil mm" less than, this is dishonest , yrssss going they advertising 20ft lengths & u getting 19' 4" etc , u almost never get a full 20ft now u not even getting close to d thickness of what u paying for

like T&T bureau of standards dont check up on these things or d public jes accept it & doh bother to inform them ? ...

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 13th, 2021, 6:04 pm

the thickness difference used to be because they supposedly mfg in metric and rounded down to next mm

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » April 13th, 2021, 6:13 pm

yes i know is metric they using yrsss going but check for urself & u will notice its thinner now

if i remember & have d time i will measure it with my caliper& take some pics too ....

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 13th, 2021, 6:31 pm

btw this is an example of a poor design, easy to cut and pry open

A48A1FFE-C0E1-43AC-ACE9-7C9A5B5FE540.jpeg

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”